• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game will sell more lifetime units: Mario Kart 8 or Titanfall?

Kodaman

mario_kart_overlapping_line_chart.jpg

never gets old

It depends. If it's made playable for the NX in some capacity whether it's a remastered version, Virtual Console version or if its playable via backwards compatibility then Mario Kart 8 is a slam dunk winner. Otherwise, I think it's sort of a toss up.

I think it is safe to say MK8 won no matter how copies of Titanfall get sold for $2 going forward.

Eusis

I think it is safe to say MK8 won no matter how copies of Titanfall get sold for $2 going forward.
Yeah, Titanfall might win in sheer numbers via cheap sales, but MK8 likely drew in absurdly more revenue and serious players. Titanfall 2 could be a different story though.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
dat first page prediction though

Yeah, Titanfall might win in sheer numbers via cheap sales, but MK8 likely drew in absurdly more revenue and serious players. Titanfall 2 could be a different story though.

Mario Kart 8 - 7.7m
Titanfall - 7m

Titanfall didn't win sheer numbers either.

casiopao

dat first page prediction though

Mario Kart 8 - 7.7m
Titanfall - 7m

Titanfall didn't win sheer numbers either.

Lol.^_^ Titanfall can't catch a break.T_T

so if the wii u had a slightly longer life, MK8 could've maybe surpassed Super Mario Kart?

That's impossible now with the NX and 800k shipment though heh.

At least, that will teach Polygon some lesson on underestimating Mario Kart series lol. Also thank god that MK8 sold more than Double Dash.^_^ I hate that one a lot.

L Thammy

mario_kart_overlapping_line_chart.jpg

never gets old

Going to be a very boring person here:

I think one is a weird thing to criticize. It's still bad, yes, because it assumes that the Wii U isn't going to sell another unit. But it isn't as completely nonsensical as the pie chart, it isn't as totally irrelevant as the Mario Kart content comparison. The main flaw with the article Polygon posted isn't that they were underestimating Mario Kart - who cares if the number is a little bit off - but that it was trying to make an article out of a really obvious point. The Wii U not selling means Wii U games aren't going to sell well. Yes, okay, did we really need multiple graphs to prove this?

/rant

Ryng_tolu

Banned
MK8 is WiiU only so the answer is obvious.

Epic comment. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Btw, when all is Said and done, Mario Kart 8 will Sell at least 9 million, if not 10 million, while Titanfall is pretty much death. Gap only gonna increase.

WaterAstro

Of course Mario Kart 8..

Nintendo is just going to keep selling it again and again for different platforms in different collections until everyone has bought Mario Kart 8 literally 8 times.

Mory Dunz

I think one is a weird thing to criticize. It's still bad, yes, because it assumes that the Wii U isn't going to sell another unit. But it isn't as completely nonsensical as the pie chart, it isn't as totally irrelevant as the Mario Kart content comparison. The main flaw with the article Polygon posted isn't that they were underestimating Mario Kart - who cares if the number is a little bit off - but that it was trying to make an article out of a really obvious point. The Wii U not selling means Wii U games aren't going to sell well. Yes, okay, did we really need multiple graphs to prove this?

/rant

But even if they wanted to extrapolate the sales of MK8 outwards as more Wii U's were sold....
they still made a fatal mistake.

Assuming the attach rate would remain the same.
After what...a few weeks of sales?

batbeg

Does this count all of the Mario Kart 8s that came with the Wii U for like the last year and a half? If so is that even fair lol

Don't see why it wouldn't be fair. For one Titan fall received extensive markdowns and even counting the Wii U bundles for the last year and a half is like what, 6 copies?

TF was on sale for pennies after like two months until this day.
MK8 is still $60, if anything, MK8 won by a lot.

That's definitely an exaggeration I didn't get it until 4-5 months later and it was still full price but I get your point. But still, one benefits from being bundled with a whole console for a large amount of time, and still is.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's definitely an exaggeration I didn't get it until 4-5 months later and it was still full price but I get your point. But still, one benefits from being bundled with a whole console for a large amount of time, and still is.

Not on PC it wasn't by then it was already $10

Titanfall had a much more limited bundle

Not really during the intial spike the bundle contributed a fair amount to it's sales. Keep in mind the Mario kart 8 bundle was still $300 long after the PS4 and XB1 had came it. It wasn't exaclt flying off the shelves.

openrob

I mean, titanfall catching up is due to the fact you have suckers like me that paid £3 for it, played it twwice and never opened up origin again

more little kids play mario kart than shooters, and it's one of the biggest IPs for nintendo. why is this impressive?

Wii U only vs. every other console.

Also Titanfall has sold for really cheap and will be now sold like for 3 peanuts while MK 8 is still more than 40$.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
One important point though, which Im sure is already brought up, is the price those games sell for. While Mario Kart is still a fullprice game - Titanfall has sold a big proportion of its number in various sales for dirt cheap prices - which will always heavily inflate the sold numbers.

titanfall a completely new franchise vs mario kart an established ip with a cult following

Titanfall the new game from the guys who made Call of Duty with the twin marketing juggernauts of Microsoft and EA behind it. Man, it's amazing that plucky little indie game sold anything at all.

Paz

You got robbed sorry :/ Titanfall was consistently half priced after 3 months here, especially on PC but 25-33% was the norm on XBone.

You must have not searched well. I got it on XB1 for like $20 pretty damn quickly and on PC it was discounted like crazy all the time.

Celine

/rant
Disagree, even that chart is nonsensical.
Attach rates aren't fixed and don't escalate linearly with install base, there are other factors that influence sales.
In fact currently Mario Kart 8 has an attach rate close to 60% (59.13%) which is far higher than the attach rate assumed by Polygon.

You got robbed sorry :/ Titanfall was consistently half priced after 3 months here, especially on PC but 25-33% was the norm on XBone.

No I'm just pretty sure you guys are misremembering. I know fully well how to find games on sale and discount and I purchased titanfall at the end of June 2014 and it was near or full price still.

Like I said I get the point it did go cheap very fast

Top Bottom