• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White news anchor uses n-word, gets fired, black anchors does same is spared, sues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephtis

Where does it say he relishes it? Where does it say he used the word in any way other than to explain what happened? Where does it say he's suing for the right to say the word? He can't even use the word to describe what he said? People literally should never use the word nigger? Not even to say they think nigger is a bad word? Literally, non-black people, should never ever say the word?

That seems to be the sentiment. =/

atr0cious

Where does it say he relishes it? Where does it say he used the word in any way other than to explain what happened? Where does it say he's suing for the right to say the word? He can't even use the word to describe what he said? People literally should never use the word nigger? Not even to say they think nigger is a bad word? Literally, non-black people, should never ever say the word?

Why do you need to tell someone that nigger is bad? Like no shit it's bad. That's like saying you have a problem with murder. We fucking know already. Why even bring it up in the first place? I mean if you're in a conversation about historical shit, then whatever, but at what point is nigger a go to word? I even hate saying the n word, because I think of Louis CKs joke about how it's still nigger, you're just putting the word in someone elses head.

And he's suing for the right to use it, because he thinks a black person saying, "You can't say nigger," is somehow as offensive as, "We can finally say nigger?" Which to me means one of three things, he's telling a shitty joke, he's a lone asshole, or he's not a lone asshole, and he's actually hoping the other assholes are going to laugh with him. None of these are good things in a professional setting.

And no, not just non-black people, literally no one should use the word. Why do you need it? Again for a new page:

http://youtu.be/US0bgNJAGZg?t=1h25m35s

Oh, you didn't hear? He's not our black ambassador anymore. I believe you want Al Sharpton.

The best thing he did was walk with MLK. He has helped as much as hurt us. I

zon

I think it's painfully obvious someone worked hard on getting him fired and pulled it off. Will be interesting to see if he wins or not.

theWB27

I mean....if I were already in trouble for saying something I think I'd be smart enough to censor it while describing it later on. I never said he relishes it...nothing in here even sounds racist.

That's why I said he doesn't deserve sympathy for being an IDIOT.

I really don't get why you included my post in this.

leadbelly

Banned
I agree that it is completely ridiculous and inappropriate if he was saying that as a joke, but why is it safe to assume he was saying it as a joke? Maybe he just doesn't believe it is a word that should be censored on television?

It could be interpreted that way. He says 'we' not 'he' which suggests he was speaking about the newsroom and not his own acceptance in using the word. I imagine it is also standard practice to use 'N-word' when doing news stories where the word has been used. He could have simply asked the question because the story was about the use of the 'N-word' specifically.

Kinyou

That's why this story is absurd.

It starts with the latter: a man who was stupid enough to make a racially insensitive joke in the workplace. Awful. Whether him not getting his contract renewed as a result, ultimately, is appropriate, meh. But punishment of some kind for this stupid racial joke was wholly deserved.

Then it gets into the former: a man who gets asked by HR what happened, and he says what happened by saying the word in a 'professional' sentence, and then gets further reprimanded for reuttering the word in admitting to what had transpired.
Ok, I think now I'm understanding it a little better. The whole interaction with the HR sounds a little weird (like why did the meeting instantly stop after "Why are you still using it"? Did he never answer that question?).

But at the same time it's his dumb joke that got the whole thing rolling so I still can't really feel all that bad for him.

Why do you need to tell someone that nigger is bad?
Because if you don't use the word there is no way to explain to someone that it is a loaded and sensitive word. You're just going to wait for people to say the word and then go ''nuh uh that word you just said? yeah it's bad.'' Makes sense yeah. If you can't even use a word in that situation you have a bigger problem than the word itself.
And he's suing for the right to use it
His lawsuit is about discriminatory treatment. There is absolutely no evidence that he wants to say the word. You're literally making things up.

atr0cious

Because if you don't use the word there is no way to explain to someone that it is a loaded and sensitive word. You're just going to wait for people to say the word and then go ''nuh uh that word you just said? yeah it's bad.'' Makes sense yeah. If you can't even use a word in that situation you have a bigger problem than the word itself.
His lawsuit is about discriminatory treatment. There is absolutely no evidence that he wants to say the word. You're literally making things up.

Well yes. We have this thing called a society, that passes on it's rules, laws, and mannerisms, from generation to generation. Over the years, we've come to understand nigger is a bad word. Do you start every conversation with words that offend you, and remind someone not to use them during your upcoming conversation? If so, you should probably get new friends.

And his lawsuit is discriminatory because he said nigger during the meeting, and then later during an HR meeting without remorse to another black person, and is wondering why everyone is trying to get his allegedly toxic personality out the door. If he didn't wanna say it, he should've probably pumped the brakes before he did it again.

Nephtis

and then later during an HR meeting without remorse to another black person, and is wondering why everyone is trying to get his allegedly toxic personality out the door. If he didn't wanna say it, he should've probably pumped the brakes before he did it again.

he was kind of asked to talk about what happened.

Also, when he went to the racial sensitivity class like he was tasked, he apparently passed it without any problem.

I mean come on, it's all right there in the article.

Zoe

Well yes. We have this thing called a society, that passes on it's rules, laws, and mannerisms, from generation to generation. Over the years, we've come to understand nigger is a bad word.

And his lawsuit is discriminatory because he said nigger during the meeting, and then later during an HR meeting without remorse to another black person, and is wondering why everyone is trying to get his allegedly toxic personality out the door. If he didn't wanna say it, he should've probably pumped the brakes before he did it again.

The discrimination claim comes from other employees saying it without any reprimand:

According to the suit, Evans told him, “Because you’re white you can never understand what it’s like to be called a n----- and … you cannot use the word n------.” Evans has denied using the word in her conversation with Burlington, according to court papers.
Surrick wrote in last month’s memorandum that an African American employee who was likewise asked to give an account of the staff meeting “used the epithet several times in the email that he sent” to the station’s management. “He was not disciplined.”

It doesn't help that the vendetta against him outweighed all the disciplinary actions he immediately complied with.

Well yes. We have this thing called a society, that passes on it's rules, laws, and mannerisms, from generation to generation. Over the years, we've come to understand nigger is a bad word.
Things don't pass on without actually talking about them.
He had no remorse? Where does it say that? The part where he apologized? The part where he followed the training about racial sensitivity? Where does it say that he used the word in any other way than to explain to HR what he said? You agree with theWB that he should have censored what he said? So even explaining what you said is a deplorable act? His first comment is incredibly stupid and insensitive, but I am dumbfounded by the fact that explaining HR what you said is somehow even an issue.

atr0cious

he was kind of asked to talk about what happened.

Also, when he went to the racial sensitivity class like he was tasked, he apparently passed it without any problem.

I mean come on, it's all right there in the article.

By a black person. If you are truly remorseful for what you did, after everyone is like you can't say that, you'd probably censor yourself. Especially if according to his testimony Evans saying only black people can say it, and then saying it to another black person. I bet you that HR person was like "This nigga just said nigger again."

The discrimination claim comes from other employees saying it without any reprimand:

It doesn't help that the vendetta against him outweighed all the disciplinary actions he immediately complied with.

I don't think we should use the word, but Evans is right to say he shouldn't ever use the word. White people using the word inherently invoke the slave master relationship, which is why HULEN got so much shit for calling his black friends, "my niggas." This boils down to why can't I say it when they can?

atr0cious

Things don't pass on without actually talking about them.

He had no remorse? Where does it say that? The part where he apologized? The part where he followed the training about racial sensitivity? Where does it say that he used the word in any other way than to explain to HR what he said? You agree with theWB that he should have censored what he said? So even explaining what you said is a deplorable act? His first comment is incredibly stupid and insensitive, but I am dumbfounded by the fact that explaining HR what you said is somehow even an issue.

How hard is it to say, "So we're sitting around the table, and I say, so we can finally say--- uh yea. That's embarrassing to say outloud, sorry." Sounds like the nigga had no self awareness.

The word should just stop being used completely.

Yeah, it really shouldn't be used in the workplace at all at least. Just asking for trouble. I don't want to hear it at all.

If sexual harassment can include another worker even overhearing a joke or inappropriate statement even if it doesn't directly affect them, then this should be treated similarly on the racial level when it comes to HR departments.

And I say that as a black person.

Bladenic

You did read the part where, even after he said it in the meeting and people were offended, he said it again while talking to HR?

He doesn't deserve sympathy for being an idiot.

Yeah that part is tricky because he could've just been quoting himself. Not arguing the idiot part, at least when talking to HR. But again, after that, he apologized personally to many and went to a racial sensitivity meeting.

I'm not really taking sides (despite my first post), it's too hard to tell what happened especially when this article is biased in his favor.

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that this article is largely lifted from his lawsuit and therefore his POV? Kind of a one sided account. It's all his allegations but nothing from anyone else.

You did read the part where, even after he said it in the meeting and people were offended, he said it again while talking to HR?

He doesn't deserve sympathy for being an idiot.

They asked him to say what happened. While he should have remembered that he's at work before he opened his dumb mouth, getting more upset at someone for simply recounting events is beyond ridiculous to me.

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that this article is largely lifted from his lawsuit and therefore his POV? Kind of a one sided account. It's all his allegations but nothing from anyone else.

Yeah, all of this is being said with the knowledge that a lot of these details could change if he's bullshitting. I think it's pretty likely personally, this boils down to office gossip.

Dirtsaw

Thats generally how this works. The person making the claim lays all his cards on the table while the defendant (Fox Inc.) keeps their mouth completely shut until the trial.

I don't think we should use the word, but Evans is right to say he shouldn't ever use the word. White people using the word inherently invoke the slave master relationship, which is why HULEN got so much shit for calling his black friends, "my niggas." This boils down to why can't I say it when they can?
When this comes to the workplace where some people get fired for it and some people don't it's a perfectly valid question. It should be treated like a curse word because of it's inappropriateness and anyone saying it under any context shouldn't be allowed in a professional enviornment. The rules of the workplace have never matched the rules outside of the workplace. And if one person can get fired for saying the wrong thing, everyone else should get fired for doing the same.

Here are some words of wisdom on this issue.
If you's a nigga you can call me nigga but if you not a nigga dont need be calling me nigga or we gon' throw hands. But check this out tho. If you are not a nigga but you is my nigga and I know you's a real nigga, you can call me nigga. You dig? But if you is a nigga but you aint my nigga then you aint a real nigga but you can still be calling me nigga cuz you's a nigga in the first place.

Video here

Slayven

You know, America is not the only place with past racial issues. Not the only place to have had slaves (African or otherwise), not the only racially diverse country, not the only country where there have historically been any sort of tensions (racial and religious) between different groups. There are comparable situations in other developed countries and developing countries (like Brazil).

And even if it were the only place, it still doesn't explain why some groups of people cannot use a word, even mention it without using acronyms, in a non-hostile manner. I'm not saying white people (or any other group) should go around referring to black people as niggers, negroes or whatever, that would be offensive. But quite another thing is to use the word clinically, in a serious or semi-serious discussion, when you have no intention to use the word as an insult or slur.

It is one thing to say: "Hey you, nigger!" referring to random black man. That's highly offensive, we all get that.

But it's quite another to mention the word in different contexts or in discussions, for example "The word nigger is..." or "Nigger referred to..." or similar. It is utterly ridiculous that you have to resort to saying the "n-word" instead. Unless you're black, then it is somehow alright.

Wow. You come off as a very violent person, if you would react like that. Not someone I'd like to be near of, that's certain.

never said it was, you know the history of these other countries but you still talking like you don't know the history of America.

Metroxed

I don't understand what value a clinical discussion gains by using the n-word in full rather than abbreviating it by saying "the n-word." Everyone here knows what you're talking about. Clearly it is offensive to some people regardless of context given who is speaking it.

Because saying the "n-word" instead of the actual word makes it a taboo word. I understand it is offensive. However, the fact that it cannot be spoken, as if it were a curse, even in professional or academic environments is baffling to me. Imagine a university lecture. The lecturer, who happens to be non-black, is speaking about US history, racial issues or whatever. He has to say "n-word" as well? I can imagine him getting into trouble (more so after reading this article) by saying negro/nigger instead, but that is, in my opinion, ridiculous. Now, if the teacher happened to be black... would it be alright then?

Where I live, historically, the North Africans have been called moros (Moors). In the past few decades, with the arrival of many North African immigrants, the use of word "moros" to refer directly to them has been deemed offensive, given that it basically puts all Arabic-speaking people into the same bag, without taking into consideration that they might come from different places, might not be North African, etc; it had become some sort of despective version of "muslim". So now other terms are being used instead. It is now considered rude, racist and/or uneducated to call a North African "moro". However, the word has not become a taboo. It is completely acceptable to use it when discussing history, language, culture, etc., especially if you don't have any offensive intentions.

That's ideal. We know the implications of the word, we know many North Africans do not like it and can be offended by it, so we only use it when it is appropriate.

I know the example isn't exactly the same, but just wanted to show you a comparable case where the word can still be spoken in certain circumstances. I know racial dynamics in the US are different, more complex perhaps, but are not unique.

Who are we to tell other people what they should be offended by? They're the ones that have likely had that word used disparagingly towards them by people of my color. They're the ones that have to watch how they walk around stores for fear of authorities thinking they're shoplifting. They have to watch how closely they walk behind a white woman for fear that she'll call the cops on a "suspicious black male" following her, just because they happen to be walking the same direction on the same street. The list goes on and on.

That's terrible, but has nothing to do with the word itself. If someone used the word disparagingly against them, those who did should be reprehended, but not someone who has used it in a non-offensive fashion. If it happens that it is always offensive and will always offend people, then its use shouldn't be tolerated at all, even when black people use it.

theWB27

Because saying the "n-word" instead of the actual word makes it a taboo word. I understand it is offensive. However, the fact that it cannot be spoken, as if it were a curse, even in professional or academic environments is baffling to me. Imagine a university lecture. The lecturer, who happens to be non-black, is speaking about US history, racial issues or whatever. He has to say "n-word" as well? I can imagine him getting into trouble (more so after reading this article) by saying negro/nigger instead, but that is, in my opinion, ridiculous. Now, if the teacher happened to be black... would it be alright then?

Where I live, historically, the North Africans have been called moros (Moors). In the past few decades, with the arrival of many North African immigrants, the use of word "moros" to refer directly to them has been deemed offensive, given that it basically puts all Arabic-speaking people into the same bag, without taking into consideration that they might come from different places, might not be North African, etc; it had become some sort of despective version of "muslim". So now other terms are being used instead. It is now considered rude, racist and/or uneducated to call a North African "moro". However, the word has not become a taboo. It is completely acceptable to use it when discussing history, language, culture, etc., especially if you don't have any offensive intentions.

That's ideal. We know the implications of the word, we know many North Africans do not like it and can be offended by it, so we only use it when it is appropriate.

I know the example isn't exactly the same, but just wanted to show you a comparable case where the word can still be spoken in certain circumstances. I know racial dynamics in the US are different, more complex perhaps, but are not unique.

That's terrible, but has nothing to do with the word itself. If someone used the word disparagingly against them, those who did should be reprehended, but not someone who has used it in a non-offensive fashion. If it happens that it is always offensive and will always offend people, then its use shouldn't be tolerated at all, even when black people use it.

It's history makes it a taboo word. No amount of denial from people who want to skate your argument will change that fact.

JDSN

Banned

People only ask to "wait for the other side" when it doesnt fit their bias.

GreedZen

Banned
I was going to respond but I feel like:

I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. It's okay for black guys to say "kike" and other slurs? No. No one EVER said that. We're discussing how the difference between the black community's and white community's relationship with the word and what is appropriate and what isn't.

Also, a big LOL at "cracker" being anywhere NEAR other racial slurs. GAF cracks me up sometimes.

I never said anyone in this thread said it was ok.

I've heard people of all shades on American news use various slur words when discussing issues (Let's not even get into comedians). Yet for some reason when it comes to nigger, only negros seem to get a pass to say it. Maybe I don't watch enough American news these days but I couldn't tell the last time if ever, I heard someone say "the k-word", "the c-word", etc. (not saying definitively that they aren't said)

Re: Cracker: If people are going to try and deem words "bad" there shouldn't be some scale that says one is worse than another. A slur is a slur is a slur.

For all we know, the "we" he was referencing may not have been "white people" but reporters in general. ie Unless I missed him stating otherwise.
Would walking on egg shells been better, clearly yes; he shouldn't have had to though.
The world isn't level.

Your rant is talking about something totally different to the person you quoted.

I quoted to agree with him, then went on my "rant". Said "rant" was not birthed nor intended to run parallel with the "weird" post I quoted.

You're just ranting about some black people being racist like its okay, but nobody would say its okay. If the black anchor said "can we finally say cracker now when talking about white people", I'm sure hed have had his ass kicked too......

Plenty of people (not singling out GAFers) think black racist behavior is fine, as a matter of fact many don't consider it racist.
I highly doubt the reaction would have been the same in your cracker scenario.

GreedZen is waiting on a GAF reporter to ask my skin tone so they can write GreedZen who is insert tone here said blah.

Septimius

No, not at all. Without going into it (because the appropriation of nigger/nigga literally has volumes written on it), I think it's something that white people (or really, non-black people) shouldn't say. How the black community wants to use it? Leave that up to them. White people just need to move along.

That's basically the definition of discrimination.

I've heard people of all shades on American news use various slur words when discussing issues (Let's not even get into comedians). Yet for some reason when it comes to nigger, only negros seem to get a pass to say it. Maybe I don't watch enough American news these days but I couldn't tell the last time if ever, I heard someone say "the k-word", "the c-word", etc. (not saying definitively that they aren't said)

Re: Cracker: If people are going to try and deem words "bad" there shouldn't be some scale that says one is worse than another. A slur is a slur is a slur.

For all we know, the "we" he was referencing may not have been "white people" but reporters in general. ie Unless I missed him stating otherwise.
Would walking on egg shells been better, clearly yes; he shouldn't have had to though.
The world isn't level.

...negros?

Well, it's a good thing the dictionary isn't the be-all-end-all source for understanding language. Context, both social and historical, are needed.

Stop this.

Stop it.

It's not true, it's never been true. A slur that's been used in the history and process of demeaning, enslaving, dehumanizing, and depowering a group of people who are STILL entrenched within the legacy of that abuse does not hold the same fucking weight as any other slur, and you know it.

People who continue to perpetuate this myth that "all slurs are the same!111" aren't even ignorant. They're completely devoid of empathy, they ignore history, and are one of the biggest stumbling blocks to progress.

Africanus

I still do not see the intellectual benefit to discussing whether white people can use the N-Word. The answer is a resounding yes. Many white people use it daily with no consequence. However, using it does not mean freedom from consequences.

This anchor was not barred from using the word, he even stated it more than once. Yet he simply faced the consequence for his action. I believe Newton spoke on the subject.

Would 3walking on egg shells been better, clearly yes; he shouldn't have had to though.
The world isn't level.

I quoted to agree with him, then went on my "rant". Said "rant" was not birthed nor intended to run parallel with the "weird" post I quoted.

Plenty of people (not singling out GAFers) think black racist behavior is fine, as a matter of fact many don't consider it racist.
I highly doubt the reaction would have been the same in your cracker scenario.

GreedZen is waiting on a GAF reporter to ask my skin tone so they can write GreedZen who is insert tone here said blah.

When you hear the term "cracker" on the news, you could be on your phone not paying attention, hear the word but not register anything in your brain and keep on playing with your phone.

A cracker is a biscuit. The term was created in English language to talk about biscuits. A relatively tiny population of Earth use the word to mean something different.

When (however hugely unlikely) you ever hear the term "nigger" on the news, there's only ever one reason why it would ever happen. Not describing a biscuit. Theres a hint for you.

According to the people who adopted the term, a "nigger" is someone they really really don't like. Like casually and institutionally kill, rape, lynch, hang, bite the kerb, falsely imprison, enslave, beat with sticks/whips, don't let them in out shops, sit at the back of the bus, drink from a different water fountain, shit in a different toilet, enter theatres at the "Negros entrance", how dare you call yourself an equal on this earth, total segregation kind of don't like.

To use the phrase "nigger" is to relate to that history. To call a person a "Nigger" with malice is to be part of that history. Certain black people using the term casually amongst themselves is a wilful ignorance of that history, de-powering it in a sense and using it to mean whatever they deem it to mean. Does NOT mean all black people agree with them using it as such. Even if most black people don't get up in arms about other black people using it, most would not find it acceptable in their own home if their sons or daughters called them it.

There aren't many racial slurs out there that have that sheer amount of violence, pain and hatred behind them. Especially recent enough that there are still people alive that lived through it, with remnants of it however small still actually affecting them and their children/grandchildren to this day.

"Cracker" is a slur for sure, but if you ask what it means to people when they hear it, will they ever be forced to think about national atrocities, specific not so long ago events in history that would make them cry if they heard first hand stories, the way they have to make a conscious effort to shy away from a negative stereo type every time they walk into a store or open their mouths? Most probably not. Theres no horrible background that most white person could really relate to if they heard it or were called it.

"You idiot" is an insult. "You filthy cunt whore" is an insult. Just because both are insults doesn't mean their meanings or ability to cause certain intensity of hurt are the same.

And sure, maybe you hear a guy calling his wife a "filthy cunt whore" all the time and they behave like its nothing. So i guess that means youd call gis wife that if you saw her in the street? And then go home and start calling your wife that?

Nope. Because it has a meaning. Whether people want to use it in their oen circles is their own specific businessbusiness and obviously based on a level of relationship, trust and connection.

And again, your rant didn't really add much to the discussion other than say "but what about black racism?". Completely irrelevant to the actual discussion.

jediyoshi

No, not at all. Without going into it (because the appropriation of nigger/nigga literally has volumes written on it), I think it's something that white people (or really, non-black people) shouldn't say. How the black community wants to use it? Leave that up to them. White people just need to move along.

I'll take racism for 200, Alex.

No, that's called language and social context.

I can't call your wife or husband "honey", in most situations. This is an understood thing, one without a charged history. Yet people get confused when it comes to the n-word.

I see what you're saying but in reality most people are accepted in saying nigga or nigger in society with the exception of white people. Your example of hip hop/rap is a perfect one. You have plenty of latino and asian rappers who use the word and people don't take a second glance. If a white rapper uses the word then you will be sure to notice and they will most likely be in trouble or not accepted. Hell you even have half black rappers (Logic) who will not say nigga out in public in fear of beaing beat up by black people because he looks white.

I'm not saying everyone should go around calling each other nigga but we the people give the word the power to hurt. At the end of the day the word means what we want it to mean. And right now the meaning depends on the skin color of the persons it is coming from. Yes the word has a painful history in this country that still resonates today but if we don't start to be consistant across the board they will be having this same discussion 100 years from now.

I see what you're saying but in reality most people are accepted in saying nigga or nigger in society with the exception of white people. Your example of hip hop/rap is a perfect one. You have plenty of latino and asian rappers who use the word and people don't take a second glance. If a white rapper uses the word then you will be sure to notice and they will most likely be in trouble or not accepted. Hell you even have half black rappers (Logic) who will not say nigga out in public in fear of beaing beat up by black people because he looks white.

I'm not saying everyone should go around calling each other nigga but we the people give the word the power to hurt. At the end of the day the word means what we want it to mean. And right now the meaning depends on the skin color of the persons it is coming from. Yes the word has a painful history in this country that still resonates today but if we don't start to be consistant across the board they will be having this same discussion 100 years from now.

Sorry what?

Most people in society get away saying the word except for white people?

"most people"?

What?

Most races other than white.

Mhmmm.

"Get away" with saying it?

Do they?

And who is the judge always watching these "most races other than white" in "most societies" letting them "get away with it"?

Applying it to the context of this discussion, most people of non white race "get away" with making jokes containing racial slurs in big wig professional workplaces?

Do they?

Are you sure?

Zizbuka

Banned
If a word is so hurtful, it should just not be used. Period. There shouldn't be rules around the hurtful word. Either it's bad or it's not, no matter who uses it.

Mhmmm.

"Get away" with saying it?

Do they?

And who is the judge always watching these "most races other than white" in "most societies" letting them "get away with it"?

Applying it to the context of this discussion, most people of non white race "get away" with making jokes containing racial slurs in big wig professional workplaces?

Do they?

Are you sure?

Well I'm not talking about professional workplace in my example. I think most professinal workplaces have policies against anyone using racial slurs in general. My example was more specefically for hip hop. The judge would be the listeners of hip hop whatever race they may be.

Enzom21

I find it amusing that this is the type of discrimination/inequality that some white people have issue with.
I'll make you a deal, the day that black people no longer have to experience racial profiling, job discrimination, harassment by the police, inequality in the criminal justice system, etc. etc. then all white people can say nigger, nigga or any various to their heart's content. Deal?
Most races other than white.

No they can't say, they think it's cool for them to say until an actual black person hears it and shuts that shit down. Other races are no more welcome to its usage than white people are.

Slayven

I still do not see the intellectual benefit to discussing whether white people can use the N-Word. The answer is a resounding yes. Many white people use it daily with no consequence. However, using it does not mean freedom from consequences.

This anchor was not barred from using the word, he even stated it more than once. Yet he simply faced the consequence for his action. I believe Newton spoke on the subject.

That is what it comes down to.

I find it amusing that this is the type of discrimination/inequality that some white people have issue with.
I'll make you a deal, the day that black people no longer have to experience racial profiling, job discrimination, harassment by the police, inequality in the criminal justice system, etc. etc. then all white people can say nigger, nigga or any various to their heart's content. Deal?

No they can't say, they think it's cool for them to say until an actual black person hears it and shuts that shit down. Other races are no more welcome to its usage than white people are.

Not in mainstream rap. It sure isn't an issue for non blacks (other than white) to say nigga.

Hari Seldon

It is fine culturally to make a distinction between whites and blacks using the word, but in the work place you can't distinguish based on race, so I agree with his law suit (assuming that this is the full story).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom