• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White supremacist website calls for action against Jews in Montana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feep

Banned
wtf did the jews ever even do to anyone that they have gotten so much shit in history?
"Not been a part of the prevailing religious doctrine of the day", usually.

Sucks, man. I don't fall into any visual Jewish stereotypes, so I never get shit for it, but I would worry if I lived in a less liberal state.

Yea I know the Nazi angle, that's pretty in your face. I just never studied it in school so the whole "sturm"/neo-nazi love using "storm" portion was oblivious to me. And I try to not learn about neo-nazi in any capacity so yea.

Oh yeah, it's super weird what they pick and choose. It is kinda funny though being able to pick out any Neo-Nazi groups by them just having random bits of gibberish German.

RainForce

Banned
I think Jews in general overwhelmingly voted Democrat though. Your work associates were outliers.

Really depends on location and sect. Orthodox/Hasidic Jews were overwhelmingly Trump I believe (certainly the ones in my family were). Also quite a few that thought Trump would be better for Israel than Hillary, but that's a more anecdotal thing as I'm not sure how widespread it is.

"Not been a part of the prevailing religious doctrine of the day", usually.

Sucks, man. I don't fall into any visual Jewish stereotypes, so I never get shit for it, but I would worry if I lived in a less liberal state.

From Wikipedia: "Paul Halsall argues that Luther's views had a part in laying the groundwork for the racial European antisemitism of the nineteenth century. He writes that "although Luther's comments seem to be proto-Nazi, they are better seen as part of tradition [sic] of Medieval Christian anti-semitism. While there is little doubt that Christian anti-semitism laid the social and cultural basis for modern anti-semitism, modern anti-semitism does differ in being based on pseudo-scientific notions of race. The Nazis imprisoned and killed even those ethnic Jews who had converted to Christianity: Luther would have welcomed their conversions."[44]"

I imagine that both the ancient historical view of the jews as those that killed christ and the "pseudo-science" pushed by the nazi's contributed to a lot of it.

Basically a whole lot of nonsense sold to people as being true. Sounds pretty familiar.

100px-SA-Logo.svg.png

I was going to say that their insignia looks like something out of a movie but I realized that most villains are probably based on the Nazis.

Really depends on location and sect. Orthodox/Hasidic Jews were overwhelmingly Trump I believe (certainly the ones in my family were). Also quite a few that thought Trump would be better for Israel than Hillary, but that's a more anecdotal thing as I'm not sure how widespread it is.
Going by Pew's preliminary results, and from a religious affiliation point of view, they're the group that voted D the most (71-24).
So yeah, these groups you described absolutely exist, but overal, the Jewish vote is more democrat than any other religious vote, including atheists.

Wag

how is it any different from arab?

Because not all Arabs are muslim.

But as the previous poster noted, at one point Jews were considered a race, and were for the most part, African/black.

Obviously this isn't the case anymore- there are Jews of all races, just as there are of any religion.

Chichikov

Whatever helps you sleep at night
He's not wrong.
I mean yeah, sure, race is not really a thing (or at least, no more than a social construct) but besides that he's right.
Look at me, I'm not religious, my parents were not religious and neither were grandparents. In fact, they are anti-religious atheist communists. I'm still considered a Jew though.

Anyway, the question what is and who is a Jew is actually not as simple as you might think, but I'm not sure this thread is a best place to have this discussion. It's fairly clear how racist dickheads answer that question.

p.s.
This wiki article is a good start if you're curious about that question -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_is_a_Jew?

Nephilim

Banned
He's not wrong.
I mean yeah, sure, race is not really a thing (or at least, no more than a social construct) but besides that he's right.
Look at me, I'm not religious, my parents were not religious and neither were grandparents. In fact, they are anti-religious atheist communists. I'm still considered a Jew though.

Anyway, the question what is and who is a Jew is actually not as simple as you might think, but I'm not sure this thread is a best place to have this discussion. It's fairly clear how racist dickheads answer that question.

p.s.
Was that directed at me? I'm not racist

He's not wrong.

p.s.

"Ethnicity" is a more appropriate word than "race", I'd say.

shoreu

Star Wars isn't really social commentary, but drew heavily on WWII for inspiration. The combat is WWII dog-fighting, the turret sequences on the falcon are straight out of war footage, the Imperial officers are dressed like the SS, the soldiers are "stormtroopers", the heavy blasters are literally German MG-34s (although the smaller blasters are British Sterling SMGs). The comparisons are often a bit shallow, more aesthetic than anything else. The Nazi SA (Stormtroopers) were a very small and unimportant organization after 1934. The name sounds cool though, so all Imperial soldiers we see for more than like 10 seconds are Stormtroopers.

Don't forget the Empire was a Human Supremacy group as well.

Chichikov

"Ethnicity" is a more appropriate word than "race", I'd say.
Even that doesn't really work.
Pick any definition of ethnicity that you want, it's hard to find one that would cover me, the Kaifeng Jews and Amare Stoudamire.
But again, maybe this thread is not the best place to talk about this.

Nephilim

Banned
Even that doesn't really work.
Pick any definition of ethnicity that you want, it's hard to find one that would cover me, the Kaifeng Jews and Amare Stoudamire.
But again, maybe this thread is not the best place to talk about this.
Start a new thread for me <3

Jag

When I read shit like this, it does make me reconsider changing my very Jewish sounding last name for my kids. My wife wanted to change it when we got married, but I wasn't going to give into the assholes. We're not religious, but Judaism is more cultural for us than anything else.

My 12 year old son said some big kid at school threw money on the ground and said "pick it up Jew" to him a few weeks ago. We reported it to the school but they basically said, oh yeah that kid has some issues and always says crazy stuff.

Whatever helps you sleep at night
Talk to any Jew - it's a thing. I've seen two Jews screaming at one another in Hebrew in Israel because one called the other "not a Jew" for not believing in God, and the guy flipped out.

He's not wrong.

p.s.
I really wish the term "social construct" didn't somehow come to mean "not real" - everything is a social construct.

wtf did the jews ever even do to anyone that they have gotten so much shit in history?

Persecution in different eras happened for different and sometimes completely unrelated reasons. In Christian Europe, they were usually the only large religious minority allowed to exist. Everyone else got wiped out or force converted. Tolerance is relative. In the Roman Empire they at various points enjoyed privileges not afforded to other religious groups and at others were persecuted. Sometimes they were attacked on the basis of religion, sometimes on the basis of ethnicity (the latter especially being true during the 20th century).

What's unusual about Judaism is not that they were persecuted, but that they managed to survive with some kind of distinct identity. History is littered with the corpses of religions and ethnic groups that were wiped out or assimilated into other entities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom