• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are beta periods for games so short and why do they limit the amount of players?

Supple

Banned
Just curious to why beta periods for upcoming games are so short. I see most only last a few days. Why not do a few weeks? Also, why do they limit the amount of players especially for multiplayer games? Don’t they don’t want to stress test game servers so that they can handle the load on release day?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
stress test game servers so that they can handle the load on release day?

Nicolas Cage Laughing GIF

StueyDuck

Others have already said it.

But yeah it's for marketing, nothing more or less

Back in my day they were called demos

Last edited:

Griffon

If it's a real beta, that's normal.
Devs wouldn't want to expose too many gamers to a buggy version of their game. Besides, past a certain amount of players, adding more wont make the feedback any better nor precise.

With that said... if this thread is about Diablo, then your real answer is marketing.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Public beta test = marketing

Didn’t Call of Duty lock the beta test behind pre-orders? Imagine if Apple locked the public beta test of its latest OS behind an iPhone pre-order.

Again, “beta test” for games is just marketing/advertisement.

Last edited:
I guess that’s the main reason I prefer demos over betas, but I understand their purpose. I suppose betas are like samples and they collect player’s feedback from them without overcrowding the servers with a work-in-progress product.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Because it's marketing, not a real beta.

Especially if you're talking about Blizzard.
For the most part, but on PC it gives them some data across varied system configs. They only really need this for a gross reality check. Does it work across a reasonable sample of user owned HW that meets the minimum spec? I'd certainly want an answer to that if I could get it and create hype about my product at the same time.

Top Bottom