• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are "jump scares" considered to be cheap?

Neiteio

I wouldn't say jump scares "aren't clever." The best jump scares work as well as they do because of the suspenseful build-up. Often that involves intelligent use of sound (or lack thereof), carefully framed camera angles, and more. I think of the infamous bathtub scare in Eternal Darkness -- it worked so well because you're slowly trained to expect subtle changes in the mansion between chapters. At first you're not sure if anything is actually amiss, but soon enough you feel like you're actively being watched. A lot of that has to do with the way the game builds up the antagonist to be omnipotent.

mnemovore

The surprise monster that appears in a jump scare could just as easily be a kitten and be just as scary because jump scares don't actually scare you, they startle you.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Jump scares are "cheap" since they dont really leave a lasting impression unlike stuff that gets into your head.

Jump scares in of themselves aren't bad, what is bad is when they're overdone and lose their effectiveness. Doom 3 gave them a bad name. It's also a lot harder to build a consistently spooky/scary atmosphere than it is to put monster closets in.

Jagsrock

Banned
The main reason is they are easy to pull off. Get players focused on something trivial and bam monster jumps out.( I used to pull off jump scares on my family all the time as a kid.) Also jump scares dont really make a game scary. Sure they can momentarily shock you but that shock doesn't last long and is followed by relief when you bash what ever popped out at you over the head repeatedly. True horror immerses you in an unsettling environment and builds tension. You should be afraid to turn the corner because you know something bad is lurking there and it's the only way out. Horror should come from the environment and not from random monsters popping out of nowhere. horror games should use mind games,subtle changes to things in the room. Shadows in corner of vision,footsteps, creepy set pieces.Those types of things stick with you even after you are done playing. Jump scares are forgettable.

Top Bottom