• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why was Principal Skinner in the Springfield MENSA chapter?

zb4cfFzadPH0PTfS5QrXhRymShs=.gif

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm guessing the joke is that Skinner is super smart academically, but just naive as hell.

JoeM86

I'm guessing the joke is that Skinner is super smart academically, but just naive as hell.

Which really isn't uncommon so I wonder why this is a point of contention. It was never implied or stated that Skinner wasn't intelligent

While I don't have data to back it up, I firmly believe that Mensa is a money-making scam. They're not particularly selective; every single person I know that has taken the test has been invited to join. It seems like a great way to suck money out of people that want to be told that they are smart.

The last time I did an escape room, a Mensa group went before us. They failed to complete the (very easy) room within the time limit. Got some good chuckles out of it.

Apoc29

Did y'all not see this dude MacGuyver his way out from under a pile of newspapers?

uDbLd8Si40uX90_hqln3Gbs2WzE=.gif

Sure, how he got into that situation was kinda dumb, but it could happen to any of us.

Well IQ is just a test. Like many tests you'd expect it to correlate with intelligence. But IQ isn't really some deep insight into the 'genius' or otherwise of a person. It just means someone scored high on a test. The reason it's used is because it's standardized, not because it's anything particularly special in itself. For instance, practicing at IQ tests will likely get you a higher score - but it doesn't make you a more intelligent person. Given that Skinner spends his life in a school environment, it would perhaps make sense for him to do well at MENSA's test.

Actually, IQ strongly correlates with lifetime wage earnings.

Madame M

Banned
I've never viewed his character as particularly intelligent, yet he was there along with several doctor/professor characters. Was that just an excuse to set up more jokes?

Or is the joke that even unintelligent people can get into a club obstensibly for "smart" people? That would explain why Comic Book Guy was there.

Maybe I'm giving post-S9 Simpsons episodes too much credit.

Yes, the joke is that MENSA is a joke.

While I don't have data to back it up, I firmly believe that Mensa is a money-making scam. They're not particularly selective; every single person I know that has taken the test has been invited to join. It seems like a great way to suck money out of people that want to be told that they are smart.

The last time I did an escape room, a Mensa group went before us. They failed to complete the (very easy) room within the time limit. Got some good chuckles out of it.

Uh huh

Top Bottom