• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit U | OT | Don't Forget to Breathe!

iphys

I was always swinging my arms before when I was doing the running with wiimote in hand, because it feels more natural and the message kept popping up saying it was better to swing your arms, but I was always only getting like 2 stars for some reason, and I would occasionally have my mii's pace jump around erratically. This time I held my hands against the side of my thighs to simulate having the wiimote in a pocket, and suddenly I got 4 stars for the first time and my mii kept a consistent pace, so I guess if you're holding the wiimote you're not supposed to swing your arms . . . ?

I've always been interested in the Wii Fit series but I never managed to pick it up for the Wii.

Theoretically, could I just buy a Wii Fit pad from like Gamestop or Amazon, and then buy the pedometer to get the full game digitally? That seems like a really cheap alternate option that buying the entire set in one go.

I'm not exactly sure on the specifics of that promotion or how long it goes on to but maybe someone could clarify for me.

maxcriden

I was always swinging my arms before when I was doing the running with wiimote in hand, because it feels more natural and the message kept popping up saying it was better to swing your arms, but I was always only getting like 2 stars for some reason, and I would occasionally have my mii's pace jump around erratically. This time I held my hands against the side of my thighs to simulate having the wiimote in a pocket, and suddenly I got 4 stars for the first time and my mii kept a consistent pace, so I guess if you're holding the wiimote you're not supposed to swing your arms . . . ?

Interesting. Not sure if I ever was getting 4 stars in running but I always felt like swinging your arms resulted in better posture for your run, regardless of how many stars they give you. It just seems like it doesn't calculate the burn rate terribly accurately.

maxcriden

I've always been interested in the Wii Fit series but I never managed to pick it up for the Wii.

Theoretically, could I just buy a Wii Fit pad from like Gamestop or Amazon, and then buy the pedometer to get the full game digitally? That seems like a really cheap alternate option that buying the entire set in one go.

I'm not exactly sure on the specifics of that promotion or how long it goes on to but maybe someone could clarify for me.

Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it. If you have a Wii U and a balance board, you can download and play Wii Fit U for free between now and I think the end of December or January. You get one free month. Then, you can activate the Fit Meter during that month* to make your free version a permanent version.

*Not sure if you can do this after the trial expires and still get the game free permanently.

iphys

Okay.

WiiFit meter went through the wash.

Unscrewed it all, opened it up, leaving it in the sun. Fingers crossed.

Ugh, I was just having visions of accidentally putting mine in the wash an hour ago. Hope it still works, because I'm sure so many people are going to do this.

iphys

I've gotten a score of 0 now twice doing Plank. The trainer keeps saying I'm doing great throughout the time and then the score comes up 0. I had to do a quick adjustment since it's so uncomfortable having your arms on the board like that, but it's like a split second the circle goes outside the box.

Other exercises you can have the dot go outside the box and still get a score but why does Plank give you a zero?

I finally figured out a comfortable way to do the plank. Do it backwards with your feet on the balance board instead of your arms. At the start put your toes in the middle of the balance board, and lie flat on the carpet with your arms under your chest. I like to clasp my hands together with my elbows pointed out to the sides a bit. Then just lift yourself up at the start and the dot should be nice and centred. I think theoretically it's a bit more work for your arms since more weight will be transferred there with your feet slightly raised on the balance board, but probably pretty similar for your core muscles. Anyway, it's way more comfortable having your arms on the carpet, and trivial to hold the dot in the center so you don't get stiffed with a 0 for your score.

Cherubae

Pretty much. Hold the wiimote doesn't make for very accruate tracking when jogging for some reason. If you don't have any pockets, tuck the remote into your waistband (which is what I do). Then you'll have your arms free to swing as much as you want.

If your waistband is too loose though, the wiimote will fall down your shorts :p

NewGame

Banned
Shoulda left it in a bag of rice.

Ugh, I was just having visions of accidentally putting mine in the wash an hour ago. Hope it still works, because I'm sure so many people are going to do this.

After it dried I noticed there had been a lot of oxidization. I cleaned it all with alcohol and put it back together. For a brief moment it turned back on and flashed a weird message about the battery but then fell silent. I haven't been able to get anything out of it for the past 12 hours.

I'm sorry little meter. You deserved better.

WWStoryRome.jpg

R.I.P

iphys

Sad, sad, sad. At least you got the game unlocked, so it's not a total loss. Probably not worth buying another one honestly, as they don't seem all that accurate and seem all too easy to lose one way or another.

I finally figured out a comfortable way to do the plank. Do it backwards with your feet on the balance board instead of your arms. At the start put your toes in the middle of the balance board, and lie flat on the carpet with your arms under your chest. I like to clasp my hands together with my elbows pointed out to the sides a bit. Then just lift yourself up at the start and the dot should be nice and centred. I think theoretically it's a bit more work for your arms since more weight will be transferred there with your feet slightly raised on the balance board, but probably pretty similar for your core muscles. Anyway, it's way more comfortable having your arms on the carpet, and trivial to hold the dot in the center so you don't get stiffed with a 0 for your score.

Why not put like a shirt or something on the balance board for your arms?

Tokieda

Weighed myself today, I've lost 4,9 kg now!
I've tried to use it a little everyday, do long walks and always take the stairs - and my diet has been mostly strict, but I did have a danish pastry yesterday. Checking the activity log, last month have been almost exclusively Wii Fit... I can't believe it's actually working!

iphys

Why not put like a shirt or something on the balance board for your arms?

I always tried wearing a sweatshirt to cover my arms. It didn't help.

Aside from being uncomfortably hard, the board also seems minimally sized to support my arms, and I feel like my arms are going over the edge sometimes. Plus, if you don't happen to balance your weight over it just right when you start, the board can actually start to tip over. I just find it very awkward compared with doing a plank on the floor.

iphys

What activity were you doing exactly? I must avoid that one.

So last night we had a major rainstorm, and my Meter thought it rose 120 m in the 18 hours going toward the peak of the storm, and then so far it's fallen back down 100 m. It makes kind of a nice bell curve shape across the past 2 days. I walked downtown for a bit before the peak of the storm, and my Meter actually thought I was walking uphill in both directions because the pressure kept falling so much, lol. Anyway, I thought it was kind of interesting to see such a striking pattern in the data due to the storm.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Well today I've ordered my fit meter and a used balance board yesterday so in a few weeks I'm going to be deep into this program! I've also downloaded the free software.

So I've got the game and am awaiting my meter and board. I'm all set? That's everything?

I was like 400 pounds back when Fit came out and never paid it any mind but fitness is a huge part of my life now so I'm super psyched to get going with this. We've got a gym or whatever they call it set up?

Also my bedroom is completely carpeted. I'm buying a used board so unless the previous owner attached the rubber feet I'm screwed. I can just buy cheap random rubber feet at a hardware store or online, right?

Robin64

My Wii just automatically downloaded new software called "Wii Fit U Info".

Loading it up, I get a message saying "Did you know that if you already own a Wii Balance Board, you can try out Wii Fit U with the 31-day free trial version? You need at least 5.1GB of free space in the system memory for this download. Would you like to launch Nintendo eShop now to download the Wii Fit U free trial version?"

Saying no closes the "app".

How odd. Nintendo should have detected I already have Wii Fit U!

So I just started this, is the weight off, it seems off by about 5 pounds for me? Seems pretty fun, I spent an hour just messing around with different activities. Only burned 230 calories though, thats like one cookie. :(

Horseticuffs

So I just started this, is the weight off, it seems off by about 5 pounds for me? Seems pretty fun, I spent an hour just messing around with different activities. Only burned 230 calories though, thats like one cookie. :(
I haven't started Fit U yet but I'm a pretty active dude and, yeah, when you see how relatively few calories you burn off from exercise and how little junk it takes to completely sabotage several days of effort it really opens your eyes and makes you examine your diet.

For what it's worth 230 calories is nothing to sneeze at, so feel proud! It's all part of learning how important moderating your intake is. Just keep plugging along and try not to get discouraged.

Example- I either bike or walk the 4.32 miles to work. When I bike vigorously I get there in about 25 minutes and burn roughly 150 calories. When I walk it takes me about 80 minutes and I burn about 350 calories. That's a great start for weight loss but it is also super easy to mess that up in even a moment of weakness.

I haven't started Fit U yet but I'm a pretty active dude and, yeah, when you see how relatively few calories you burn off from exercise and how little junk it takes to completely sabotage several days of effort it really opens your eyes and makes you examine your diet.

For what it's worth 230 calories is nothing to sneeze at, so feel proud! It's all part of learning how important moderating your intake is. Just keep plugging along and try not to get discouraged.

Diet is going to be the hardest part for me... I want ice cream.

I discovered a bug.

If you begin a 30 minute workout from the personal trainer and it begins before midnight and ends after midnight you won't get the complete credit. It will split your credit between two days. I loved that little ding I'd get for 30 minutes of workout, but sometimes I don't get it because of this.

D-e-f-

Banned
I discovered a bug.

If you begin a 30 minute workout from the personal trainer and it begins before midnight and ends after midnight you won't get the complete credit. It will split your credit between two days. I loved that little ding I'd get for 30 minutes of workout, but sometimes I don't get it because of this.

That's why there is a setting for "night owls" which pushes the cut-off point back until 3am and counts everything towards the previous day until that time.

69wpm

My Wii just automatically downloaded new software called "Wii Fit U Info".

Loading it up, I get a message saying "Did you know that if you already own a Wii Balance Board, you can try out Wii Fit U with the 31-day free trial version? You need at least 5.1GB of free space in the system memory for this download. Would you like to launch Nintendo eShop now to download the Wii Fit U free trial version?"

Saying no closes the "app".

How odd. Nintendo should have detected I already have Wii Fit U!

Same, got it today. Don't have enough space legt to see what's up with this.

zigg

Hey guys, assuming the used balance board I ordered doesn't come with the rubber feet that make it usable on carpet do you think these little things I bought will work?
Hmm, I think these could throw the Board off. The elevating feet are actually plastic, so they don't absorb extra force.

Example- I either bike or walk the 4.32 miles to work. When I bike vigorously I get there in about 25 minutes and burn roughly 150 calories. When I walk it takes me about 80 minutes and I burn about 350 calories. That's a great start for weight loss but it is also super easy to mess that up in even a moment of weakness.

thats actually what wiiu is all about

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
so is there a feeling how the fitmeter did in the black friday period?

I went to Toys R Us last Sunday to see if they actually had them. My location had two in the Wii/WiiU accessory section. I decided to finally pick a WiiU fit meter up today, so I went back to the same Toys R Us store and there were (what I assume) the same two Wii U Fit meters sitting there, looking as if they hadn't been touched since I was there almost a week ago.

Now there is one.

prag16

Banned
Any word on standalone fit meters any color other than black for the U.S.? OR is NoA gonna be a bunch of d-bags as usual. -_-

Aeroangel

Banned
Really digging it so far... I think it's a tremendous improvement over the first Wii Fit game. I bought a $15 balance board at gamestop, and I have the pedometer on it's way that I ordered online =D

It really depends on how you use it... all the activities are short in length, but you add them up together you can get a very decent work out.

I love that it has the preset work out routines, but even better you can hand pick the exercises and make your own list. It will tell you how many minutes and how many calories for what you've built, and it will go down the line automatically until you are done.

Some of the "exercises" will not really work you out at all, but are still fun and are honestly better than just sitting around (standing still burns more calories than sitting or laying down lol) but others can be very good depending on how you approach it. I do know that I have had sore muscles each day after exercising so something must be working.

The major cons I can think of... sometimes it's a little crazy having to juggle all the different accessories for a little work out routine. You really need the gamepad, two wiimotes, and the balance board for everything. Sometimes the balance board acts wonky not sure if it's just mine, but that can be annoying. I keep thinking though at the gym you could have similar aggrevations, but the biggest plus of the gym is that you can exercise way longer than what the game will have you do for one activity (You could do 100 push ups vs 6 that the game has you do for example)

A lot of it is a ton of fun though! I love the scubba diving game, the yoga and strength exercises, the dances, and many of the other mini-games that get your heart racing =)

Hopefully my love for it keeps up because it's the first time I've been excited to exercise in a LONG time... and I still need to check out the online features I have no idea what's going on with that!

I think the best thing they could do with this game as well, is to make a calorie counter / diary for what you eat. It seems like it would tie in perfectly with what it has already, and it might have it and I just missed it? And then add the calorie counter as a cell phone app that is integrated oh that would be heavenly ^_^

Horseticuffs

Really digging it so far... I think it's a tremendous improvement over the first Wii Fit game. I bought a $15 balance board at gamestop, and I have the pedometer on it's way that I ordered online =D

It really depends on how you use it... all the activities are short in length, but you add them up together you can get a very decent work out.

I love that it has the preset work out routines, but even better you can hand pick the exercises and make your own list. It will tell you how many minutes and how many calories for what you've built, and it will go down the line automatically until you are done.

Some of the "exercises" will not really work you out at all, but are still fun and are honestly better than just sitting around (standing still burns more calories than sitting or laying down lol) but others can be very good depending on how you approach it. I do know that I have had sore muscles each day after exercising so something must be working.

The major cons I can think of... sometimes it's a little crazy having to juggle all the different accessories for a little work out routine. You really need the gamepad, two wiimotes, and the balance board for everything. Sometimes the balance board acts wonky not sure if it's just mine, but that can be annoying. I keep thinking though at the gym you could have similar aggrevations, but the biggest plus of the gym is that you can exercise way longer than what the game will have you do for one activity (You could do 100 push ups vs 6 that the game has you do for example)

A lot of it is a ton of fun though! I love the scubba diving game, the yoga and strength exercises, the dances, and many of the other mini-games that get your heart racing =)

Hopefully my love for it keeps up because it's the first time I've been excited to exercise in a LONG time... and I still need to check out the online features I have no idea what's going on with that!

I think the best thing they could do with this game as well, is to make a calorie counter / diary for what you eat. It seems like it would tie in perfectly with what it has already, and it might have it and I just missed it? And then add the calorie counter as a cell phone app that is integrated oh that would be heavenly ^_^

It would be so badass if they did release an app or announced My Fitness Pal integration. A food diary is an amazing benefit.

bumpkin

Anyone else get an auto download of this today? I already had it installed.

Weird
I got an auto-download of some sort of launcher for the game telling me about the trial and all that jazz. I already had the game installed; got it the day after it became available.

Should I get a $20 fit meter now or wait for my $38 preorder from Newegg in January (I did that $12 off a preorder over a year ago)? I want a physical copy of any digital game I get on Wii U. Black looks less awkward as I plan to always wear the fit meter.

I got an auto-download of some sort of launcher for the game telling me about the trial and all that jazz. I already had the game installed; got it the day after it became available.

I got that too, it's like it was easier to send it to everyone rather than check who already has it and exclude them.

anyway, I've been doing my routine for a month straight as of yesterday plus a few sessions of running on the side, improved my diet and cut out the crap and lost 6.5kg in that time.. feeling good.

(You could do 100 push ups vs 6 that the game has you do for example)

I have it set to 10 for push ups, click the plus button. not sure how many more it increases by, but there's also the push up challenges :)

Effect

So my Fit Meter finally arrived. Saturday even though I was expecting it Monday. So it sat in my post office box wasted. I guess I need to following Amazon tracking every day to see if something arrives early.

Really like the new interface and seeing the mouths on the trainers move is a small but significant change I feel. Just set it up yesterday and registered my meter so now I own the game. Looking forward to really trying out the different routines this evening. This is just in time as I really would like to start losing weight overall after this Thanksgiving and this should help with that as it will be easily accessible.

I do wonder how accurate the Fit Meter is and will be. I remember a few years ago there was a study looking at various Pedometer devices and that the Pokemon Walker ended up being the most accurate in the end for measuring distance walked, etc. Here's hoping the FIt Meter is as accurate if that study's findings were true.

Should I get a $20 fit meter now or wait for my $38 preorder from Newegg in January (I did that $12 off a preorder over a year ago)? I want a physical copy of any digital game I get on Wii U. Black looks less awkward as I plan to always wear the fit meter.

Personally I think one is more likely to use the software if it's already installed on the machine. No need to swap disc. Just boot up the program and pull out the balance board that might be on the floor or near the TV. Something that is likely going to be or should be use daily is ideal as a digital purchase I feel. It's also cheaper.

Clockwork5

Thinking about trying this out, but I have two questions.

I am actually a little underweight (6'3", 160lbs) and am happy to hear about some of your sucesses with losing weight but does Fit U help with strength training and building mass? (Not trying to get huge, just a bit less skinny)

Also, I live in an apt with neighbors downstairs. Is there a lot of high impact stuff that would equate to much banging and noise for them?

L~A

Just got called out by Miiverse cops for this post. Something about spoilers. I didn't even know you can spoil Wii Fit U.

Huh? Isn't tagged as spoiler to me. Weird.

That's why there is a setting for "night owls" which pushes the cut-off point back until 3am and counts everything towards the previous day until that time.

Oh, so that's what this setting is for.

By the way, anyone got a tip for the boxing exercise? It's that "dodge" movement, it never seems to work for me... how are you supposed to do it?

D-e-f-

Banned
By the way, anyone got a tip for the boxing exercise? It's that "dodge" movement, it never seems to work for me... how are you supposed to do it?

Since I don't know how you're doing it I can only guess: remember how the Balance Board works and that it's all about shifting weight, not actually dodging. If you're moving weirdly and it doesn't properly detect how you shifted your weight, it might not register as you intended.

L~A

Since I don't know how you're doing it I can only guess: remember how the Balance Board works and that it's all about shifting weight, not actually dodging. If you're moving weirdly and it doesn't properly detect how you shifted your weight, it might not register as you intended.

Oh, I thought you had to move the Wiimote and nunchuks... never tried to move myself *facepalm*

Ok, gonna try this tomorrow morning! Just unlocked Super Advanced today... wonder what it's like.

Top Bottom