• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit U | OT | Don't Forget to Breathe!

About the Wii Fit Meter... how long does the battery last, and what do you do when it eventually runs out?

Oh, any here's a tip: Make sure you turn off the volume for the Wii Fit Meter. Sometimes it can sound off fanfare for when you walk certain distances. Do not let yourself get in trouble in your workplace or school for having it produce a loud sound.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
About the Wii Fit Meter... how long does the battery last, and what do you do when it eventually runs out?

Oh, any here's a tip: Make sure you turn off the volume for the Wii Fit Meter. Sometimes it can sound off fanfare for when you walk certain distances. Do not let yourself get in trouble in your workplace or school for having it produce a loud sound.

I hear tell that you can just put in a new standard watch battery in that case. I don't know how long they last, but it must be awhile and they're pretty cheap.

My wife has a fit meter too.
When you get them to connect (point them at each other and hold the middle button) does anyone know what the results mean.
You see a percentage and one of the Miis gets a black outline and a phrase like "different lanes" comes up.

Robin64

My wife has a fit meter too.
When you get them to connect (point them at each other and hold the middle button) does anyone know what the results mean.
You see a percentage and one of the Miis gets a black outline and a phrase like "different lanes" comes up.

It's a Compatibility Test.

Iwata Asks said:
Tooyama: The biggest difference that I noticed was its presentation and form. The compatibility test feature that was added along the way was an idea that we would have never come up with ourselves, so I learned something new! (laughs)

Iwata: What kind of function is that?

Matsunaga: Placing two Fit Meter accessories facing one another to communicate would allow two users to see how compatible they are with each other. It compares the two users' activity patterns over the past 24 hours, and the more similar they are, the better a match they are for each other.

Iwata: Oh. People whose lifestyles exhibit similar patterns have greater affinity.

Matsunaga: Right. You're more likely to have the same pattern as a spouse or pet you walk every day, so your affinity goes up.

Ah, that makes more sense.
We thought it had something to do with goals or whatever but couldn't make it out.

I've unlocked Hula-Hoop 6 mins and it's brutal. How many more are there?

She might have put in too short of a time period for her weight goal if it's asking her to workout that much!

No, the software just calculates the calories needed to burn X amount of pounds over Y number of days. It doesn't take into account diet at all, so calorie deficits aren't factored in the weight loss. It annoyingly asks you to complete you calorie burning through the software, but as mentioned by the poster above, common sense should prevail here.

Sickbean

No, the software just calculates the calories needed to burn X amount of pounds over Y number of days. It doesn't take into account diet at all, so calorie deficits aren't factored in the weight loss. It annoyingly asks you to complete you calorie burning through the software, but as mentioned by the poster above, common sense should prevail here.

Whilst I agree that common sense should prevail, it seems inconsistent to leave this to common sense when the game still tells you how to stand and set up the balance board every single time you do an activity (even when you've done it tens of times before). Now that's something that should be left to common sense!

Horseticuffs

Whilst I agree that common sense should prevail, it seems inconsistent to leave this to common sense when the game still tells you how to stand and set up the balance board every single time you do an activity (even when you've done it tens of times before). Now that's something that should be left to common sense!

I understand your point, but this is the Zelda company. We're lucky the animated Balance Board doesn't appear in the corner reminding us to blink and beat our hearts.

TheZjman

Banned
I really need to get into this. Bought a fit meter and everything and haven't used it so far.

I just want to lose some weight, is there a 'recommended' daily routine. Some of my friends just do 30 mins of jogging and that seems to do the trick, but could get stale i guess.

cause it's Nintendo. (but to be fair, regarding setting up the balance board, that's sort of needed to calibrate your stance and COB when starting a different exercise).

I understand your point, but this is the Zelda company. We're lucky the animated Balance Board doesn't appear in the corner reminding us to blink and beat our hearts.

+1 lol

I really need to get into this. Bought a fit meter and everything and haven't used it so far.

I just want to lose some weight, is there a 'recommended' daily routine. Some of my friends just do 30 mins of jogging and that seems to do the trick, but could get stale i guess.

There are pre-planned routines within the software, but I haven't used them. You can also make you own routines fairly easily by selecting from groups or just individual exercises.

If you are pressed for time, I'd simply recommend the advanced step aerobics workout for an extended duration, around 40 minutes. if you have *light* hand weights, wear those. and don't do the step aerobics like a zombie, dragging your feet. be light and your feet and make your movements with a "spring in your step" like your dancing. for an added challenge, place the balance board on a small, 2 to 4 inch wooden or plastic board (that's larger than the board itself and doesn't allow for sliding.)

For weight loss, your diet is the most important thing. Simply cut down on how much you each, in a responsible manner. Reduce your calories by 500 per week but still eat nutritious foods and take a multivitamin and drink water. If you are heavier, you can start off by reducing 1,000 cal per week. Check your weight and waistline measurements every 2 weeks and adjust calorie goals from there (you can input both and track them within Wii Fit U).

if you haven't trained for a while, take it slow initially. and definitely get some yoga into your routine.

Hasney

Can I unlock the full game from trial with just a fit meter? I feel like I should do that and then get a balance board cheap down the line.

Horseticuffs

Can I unlock the full game from trial with just a fit meter? I feel like I should do that and then get a balance board cheap down the line.

Chances are you know like a zillion old people and middle-aged women who have a Balance Board they never use anymore. I bet someone would give you or sell you one cheap. Ask around.

Hell, I'm sure you could at least borrow one from someone just to activate the software.

CorySchmitz

So, I lost my Wii Fit Meter last night. It's probably gone forever. If I by a new one, can I get my data back on it? Or is it gone forever?

vazel

Banned
I got my Wii Fit U yesterday and spent the entire night using it and now my chest is in agony. I think I pulled a muscle while doing a yoga exercise. T_T

So, I lost my Wii Fit Meter last night. It's probably gone forever. If I by a new one, can I get my data back on it? Or is it gone forever?

The meter itself only stores one day's worth of data. If you don't sync it with the software, you'll lose it anyway. So yeah, if you buy a new one, you can keep using it with the same profile and data currently managed by the software.

I got my Wii Fit U yesterday and spent the entire night using it and now my chest is in agony. I think I pulled a muscle while doing a yoga exercise. T_T

it's even in the thread title ;)

The meter itself only stores one day's worth of data. If you don't sync it with the software, you'll lose it anyway.
Small correction, I believe the meter stores 7 days of altitude data and 28 days of steps/calories data, although the information displays reset at midnight. So you don't have to sync it every day, just every few days.

one_kill

So I was able to get WiiFit Plus with a Balance Board for cheap. I had thought the trial version was finished, but apparently not.

Does this mean all I have to do is get the meter and register it? Will I still be able to register the meter even after the trial period was over?

So I was able to get WiiFit Plus with a Balance Board for cheap. I had thought the trial version was finished, but apparently not.

Does this mean all I have to do is get the meter and register it? Will I still be able to register the meter even after the trial period was over?
Yes, you can register the meter after the trial.

As long as you have the Wii fit trial/promo/free version in your WiiU eshop download history, you should be set.

wilflare

bought the Wii U Fit + Meter + Balance Board + Game bundle..
forgot to sync my Fit Meter... guess I'll miss out on getting a digital copy of the game for free :/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
forgot to sync my Fit Meter... guess I'll miss out on getting a digital copy of the game for free :/

Damn, me too. Bought two fit meters for me and the wife but hadn't got around to digging the balance board out of the loft. Oh well.

vazel

Banned
I could have downloaded the digital download version for free? Dammit!

Edit: I'm mad at Nintendo for not making that promotion more clear. I thought it was only for standalone Fit Meter purchases. I didn't know the full Wii Fit U bundles qualified too.

I could have downloaded the digital download version for free? Dammit!

Edit: I'm mad at Nintendo for not making that promotion more clear. I thought it was only for standalone Fit Meter purchases. I didn't know the full Wii Fit U bundles qualified too.

It seemed pretty clear. If you had a Fit Meter, any fit meter, you could have just tried it.

Not sure why Nintendo has to spell it out that you can either unlock the digital trial copy it with either a "standalone meter" and not have to buy the software, or unlock the digital trial copy with a "meter from the bundle which already contains the actual software on disc" when the point of the promotion is to entice people who don't know if they want to pay for the software to begin with.

I get that it sucks you didn't get a chance to unlock the digital version, but I don't really see the justification for being mad at Nintendo about you simply not trying or assuming something about fit meter SKUs.

vazel

Banned
It seemed pretty clear. If you had a Fit Meter, any fit meter, you could have just tried it.

Not sure why Nintendo has to spell it out that you can either unlock the digital trial copy it with either a "standalone meter" and not have to buy the software, or unlock the digital trial copy with a "meter from the bundle which already contains the actual software on disc" when the point of the promotion is to entice people who don't know if they want to pay for the software to begin with.

I get that it sucks you didn't get a chance to unlock the digital version, but I don't really see the justification for being mad at Nintendo about you simply not trying or assuming something about fit meter SKUs.
It is my bad. I just never fathomed that Nintendo would be that generous. Giving a free digital download version along with the disc is like something Valve would do.

I'd like my school or work to put me in trouble for attempting to take charge of my health/fitness, I would create a massive scene about the ethics of that.

Mlatador

Banned
Wii Fit U is actually pretty fun. I absolutey love the trampoline game. Makes "leg day" much more enjoyable.

What's the best score you guys got in that game? I'm at 1023m right now and don't think I can go much higher.

PhaZZe

Banned
Im really enjoying experience (1 week 3 days)
I bought the full package because i didnt have the Balance Board, i got my free copy digitaly and is really more confortable without disc. My weight is good (IMC 21.98), so im doing a lot of tonification, the wii fit meter really help follow what i was doing in certain hours.

Worth every dollar.

wilflare

Im really enjoying experience (1 week 3 days)
I bought the full package because i didnt have the Balance Board, i got my free copy digitaly and is really more confortable without disc. My weight is good (IMC 21.98), so im doing a lot of tonification, the wii fit meter really help follow what i was doing in certain hours.

Worth every dollar.

the joys of digital convenience :/
i would be more inclined to play Wit Fit U often if I don't have to swap the disc every single time. lol. bleh. should have paid more attention but oh well.

Hey dudes, I just got a Wii U today! I'd like to get Wii Fit U, and I still have my old balance board. Looks like the trial is over, huh? Should I just buy the digital download for $30 and worry about the meter later? Am I missing much without the meter?

Also, I see images of the meter in both a black/grey version and a neon green version. Are they both out there or what? I'd rather have he black one...

Hey dudes, I just got a Wii U today! I'd like to get Wii Fit U, and I still have my old balance board. Looks like the trial is over, huh? Should I just buy the digital download for $30 and worry about the meter later? Am I missing much without the meter?

Also, I see images of the meter in both a black/grey version and a neon green version. Are they both out there or what? I'd rather have he black one...
There's a red/orangey one too. You don't need it for the training but it adds some extra incentives to do walking during the day. The steps go towards walking and climbing courses, and the calories help it assess your long term goals. If you didn't have it you'd miss it.

Storm360

Managed to get a few fit meters cheap while looking in CEX (They had 3 in, all brand new boxed even with the pull tabs) for £10 each so figured i'd give this another go with the family, even just for the daily track ins.

Apparently the Fit Meter unlock is over? We all unlocked and synced the 3 to the console fine and it appears to be working fine, we've just done the body test and fit meter challenge stuff, is it fully unlocked? (Note we downloaded it when the promo first started, just didn't unlock after)

EDIT: Just did some training and everything went fine.. so i'm assuming that we are all fully activated.

Javier

Managed to get a few fit meters cheap while looking in CEX (They had 3 in, all brand new boxed even with the pull tabs) for £10 each so figured i'd give this another go with the family, even just for the daily track ins.

Apparently the Fit Meter unlock is over? We all unlocked and synced the 3 to the console fine and it appears to be working fine, we've just done the body test and fit meter challenge stuff, is it fully unlocked? (Note we downloaded it when the promo first started, just didn't unlock after)

EDIT: Just did some training and everything went fine.. so i'm assuming that we are all fully activated.
You can sync a Fit Meter at any point if you have the free version of Wii Fit U downloaded. What happened at the end of the promo (January 31) was that the free Wii Fit U was no longer available for download.

Storm360

You can sync a Fit Meter at any point if you have the free version of Wii Fit U downloaded. What happened at the end of the promo (January 31) was that the free Wii Fit U was no longer available for download.

Ah, if I ever need to redownload later on would I be able to?

Javier

You should be.

What I don't know if anyone has tested is that you can redownload the free version now if you downloaded it before and deleted it.

Just to be safe, I wouldn't delete the free version.

tsab

You should be.

What I don't know if anyone has tested is that you can redownload the free version now if you downloaded it before and deleted it.

Just to be safe, I wouldn't delete the free version.

It should be in your download history. The only free game I am aware that they removed from the download history is that Zelda Four Swords: Anniversary Edition for DSiware

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I wore the Wii Fit Meter and went to a trampoline park for my nephew's birthday, and afterwards it said I took 8,500 steps.

There's a red/orangey one too. You don't need it for the training but it adds some extra incentives to do walking during the day. The steps go towards walking and climbing courses, and the calories help it assess your long term goals. If you didn't have it you'd miss it.

Cool, thanks!

I actually went out and just grabbed the physical copy after all, with the green meter. Years ago when Wii Fit first came out I wound up really just sticking with the daily weigh in and actually lost about 30 pounds over six months or so. The actual routines and stuff I dropped pretty quickly, but doing that simple test every day or two was very helpful. I'm hoping I can do that again.

Is there a way to install the "simple test channel" or something like it on this one? I looked around a bit, but didn't see it.

Top Bottom