• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

KingWool

Banned
Woow good catch, i tried with loadLine :p

Thank you very much guys, and yes Kadin i just put the DNS on my secondary as well :eek:

Last question : Right now i'm on 5.0.0, should i update ? Thanks :p

Might as well update since homebrew works on the latest. Then block using DNS.

Since I'm trying to download everything to go offline, storage is a concern. Can I share a HDD with my PC or does it have to be formatted entirely for the Wii U?

Delt31

so now I'm interested b/c of the DS injection (contra 4 on tv? yes please).

Can someone explain how to do it?

Rich!

Since I'm trying to download everything to go offline, storage is a concern. Can I share a HDD with my PC or does it have to be formatted entirely for the Wii U?

Neither.

This is entirely SD only for the time being. It won't affect anything else.

Edit: oops, misunderstood. It's the latter. Wii U takes the entire HDD.

It's not a directly homebrew-related question. But if I can't update my firmware in the future I need a bigger fridge for my eShop downloads.

Rich!

so now I'm interested b/c of the DS injection (contra 4 on tv? yes please).

Can someone explain how to do it?

Easy.

Dump your game using the app listed above to your SD. Navigate to it on your PC. Inside is a zip file called rom.zip - replace it with your own zipped ROM (make sure the filename and extension of the ROM inside is exactly the same). Change the title of the folder and the code to keep it separate if you plan on doing lots (use my post above for a guide).

Done. Load it using loadiine.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Neither.

This is entirely SD only for the time being. It won't effect anything else.

So no chance of it being detected by Nintendo / causing a NNID ban? Hmmm...

Tarps

Subbed, thanks for putting this together Robin64. Bit worried about NNID banhammer, but will be watching this with interest. Please post more upscaled screens, they are truly beautiful.

flux1

Does backing up your eshop games with DDD save the license info with them? I'm a stickler for keeping backups of my digital games. So I was wondering if I can use this as an alternative to my current one of using a second hard drive for copies.

DS game injection looks great. Does it matter which DS game from the eshop you use as a base?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm using a dualshock 4 to play NSMBU

This is awesome.

to use the hid app do games need to be installed/launched by a loader or I can use the disc normally?
I'm prepping my setup as I write and I,m kinda excited :D

I guess the Xbox One controller is out of the question right?

Sykotik

Hmm. When I go to load the homebrew launcher, I get a black screen that says FSGetMountSource failed.

Any ideas?

Edit: The Wii U doesn't appear to be detecting my SD card. This could be an issue.

Edit 2: Formatted card to FAT32 and it fixed the problem.

Rich!

to use the hid app do games need to be installed/launched by a loader or I can use the disc normally?
I'm prepping my setup as I write and I,m kinda excited :D

I guess the Xbox One controller is out of the question right?

Load the app and then any hid device supported just acts as a gamepad from that point on regardless of media source.

And yep, xbone pad doesn't transfer inputs via USB. Dualshock 4 works a dream though - even on games like rayman legends!

Anth0ny

You know what would be nice? The ability to use the Wii U without having to use the Gamepad at all. Not only from a convenient point of view, but in the future when my gamepad dies and they become impossibly hard to find.

I want to just turn on my Wii U, navigate to the game I want to play with my GC controller, and then play it with my GC controller. No gamepad required.

Dash Kappei

Load the app and then any hid device supported just acts as a gamepad from that point on regardless of media source.

And yep, xbone pad doesn't transfer inputs via USB. Dualshock 4 works a dream though - even on games like rayman legends!

Is it normal that when I load it it just gets me back to the Wii U main menu after a white screen?

They need to be in /wiiu/games/ and that folder needs to be in the format "Title [titleID]"

So my FFIV VC is "/wiiu/games/Final Fantasy IV [DMSK01]"

Make up the title ID if you are doing your own VC injection, but it must be four letters and then 01.

Yes. They follow this structure:

SD:/wiiu/games/game title [XXXXXX]

the [XXXXXX] is the games code. For legit games, use its real code. For your own DS injects, make one up - just make sure it ends in 01. Eg: [DSCT01]

In the meta folder you can view and edit the loading screen and icon graphics (tga format).

Edit: lol beaten
Thanks. I think that I'm still doing something wrong as Golden Eye won't load. I'll give some DS games a go instead.

RetroMG

How does this affect the WiiU's ability to go online? I'm super tempted, but I don't want to lose the ability to get new levels in Mario Maker.

Dash Kappei

Robin, near the warning you should note that 5.5.1 is the latest update atm.
Anyone below that would do better to update to the latest fw right now since it's safe anyway, it's a bit confusing the way it's written now imo

How does this affect the WiiU's ability to go online? I'm super tempted, but I don't want to lose the ability to get new levels in Mario Maker.

It doesn't. You just need to eventually start game updates manually.
If that changes in the future all you'll have to do is just change DNS back to "auto-obtain", that's it.
Never been easier softmodding a console and same thing to go back to default state of un-modded.

I was looking to try this out, but when I put in the DNS settings, I can't connect to the eShop because my Wii U is failing to download a new update. I'm on 5.5.1 J already, and I thought that was the latest one. Is it safe to download the latest update, and then switch my DNS back?

EDIT: heh, guess my answer's right above me. But does anybody know why I can't connect to the eShop with those DNS settings if I'm already on the latest firmware?

Dash Kappei

But does anybody know why I can't connect to the eShop with those DNS settings if I'm already on the latest firmware?

About the eShop, you refer to the 105-4207 error? Is that the one you're getting?
Maybe Rich can shed some light. Of course you've checked if by changing DNS it lets you hop back in the eShop? Otherwise it just the eShop doing maintenance.

I'll wait a while to try this out I'de rather not have my system bricked by a stability update.

The exploit only grants temporary access, doesn't install anything on the NAND and such. That particular scenario you've painted can't happen.

KingWool

Banned
Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I went to the URL and now I see the Homebrew launcher with a lot of animated bubbles. I see an icon called 'Homebrew Launcher' and I click it and then click 'Load' and I'm back at the homescreen. How do I inject DS games?

About the eShop, it seems sometimes you can get the 105-4207 error? Is that the one you're getting?
Maybe Rich can shed some light. Of course changing DNS lets you hop back in the eShop.

Yep, that's the one! I switched the DNS setting off, logged into the eShop, quit, switched the DNS setting back on again and I'm still getting that error. Though it's not bugging me about a update download error anymore.

Robin64

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I went to the URL and now I see the Homebrew launcher with a lot of animated bubbles. I see an icon called 'Homebrew Launcher' and I click it and then click 'Load' and I'm back at the homescreen. How do I inject DS games?

That's right so far. But you need to install DDD and then dump one of your existing DS titles next.

Rich!

I was looking to try this out, but when I put in the DNS settings, I can't connect to the eShop because my Wii U is failing to download a new update. I'm on 5.5.1 J already, and I thought that was the latest one. Is it safe to download the latest update, and then switch my DNS back?

EDIT: heh, guess my answer's right above me. But does anybody know why I can't connect to the eShop with those DNS settings if I'm already on the latest firmware?

About the eShop, it seems sometimes you can get the 105-4207 error? Is that the one you're getting?
Maybe Rich can shed some light. Of course you've checked if by changing DNS it lets you hop back in the eShop? Otherwise it just the eShop doing maintenance.

Using the DNS blocks updates. How it does so is it blocks all inbound and outbound connections to Nintendo's servers.

Including eshop.

If you need any updates or any redownloaded titles, you can avoid the eshop entirely by using the wup downloader

Dash Kappei

Using the DNS blocks updates. How it does so is it blocks all inbound and outbound connections to Nintendo's servers.

Including eshop.

If you need any updates or any redownloaded titles, you can avoid the eshop entirely by using the wup downloader

Uhmmm, then maybe it's better using a router to block only updates by url but which still grants you access the eShop? I like buying games off the eShop :D
Are there games where the mp portion is blocked by using the DNS?

Rich!

Uhmmm, then maybe it's bettezzzsr using a router to block only updates by url but which still grants you access the eshop dssws? I like buying games off the eShop :D
Are there games where the mp portion is blocked by using the DNS?

It's only temporary to keep your system safe for the upcoming full iosu exploit. You will be able to spoof later firmwares, just like with the 3DS, and then emunand.

Including eshop.

It's only temporary. You will be able to spoof later firmwares, just like with the 3DS, and then emunand.

Oh, I see! Thanks for clearing that up, Rich! Well, I'll keep the DNS on to be safe. Don't think there's anything I'll be needing between now and further homebrew developments coming down the line.

Have been looking forward to this for a while. Finally I will be able to play ZombiU in English and Deus Ex on my Japanese Wii U!

Robin64

Upon pressing 'X' to install dumper it takes me right back to the Wii U Menu

Yep, that's right. Now the next title you launch will be the one that dumps to your PC, assuming you a) set the IP correctly and b) have the titledumper running on the PC.

linkboy

Does that work on a Wii U in Wii mode?

Yes it does. I've been playing GC games on my Wii U using Nintendon't (with the GC adapter and my Wavebirds) for a while now.

Made it really nice when I was in Korea and not having to drag my GC games.

KingWool

Banned
Yep, that's right. Now the next title you launch will be the one that dumps to your PC, assuming you a) set the IP correctly and b) have the titledumper running on the PC.

My local PC ip is 192.168.0.8.

Created folder C:WiiU and placed titledumper.exe inside of it.

went to command prompt and navigated to C:wiiu

typed in titledumper.exe c:/wiiu/vol/content and I got this

C:wiiu>titledumper.exe c:/wiiu/vol/content
Title Dumper by Dimok
Usage:
titledumper [WiiU Path] [Local Path]
WiiU Path supported: /vol (for complete dump), /vol/content, /vol/code, /vol/meta, /vol/aoc and /vol/save or any sub-directories of those)
Local Path e.g.: D:/some game/path or ./some game/path

C:wiiu>

edit: I SHOULD have done titledumper.exe /vol/content c:/wiiu/
and its dumping :)

shanafan

I am just waiting for the day when a homebrew feature comes out to allow the Wii U Pro controller to work on Wii games.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Why, hello there my new tinkerbox! Thanks a lot to Robin64 for the thread!

marmoka

Banned
Thank you so much for this thread. It's working well. Now I need to add some of the emulators and games to the SD card. And buy a bigger SD card. Only 2 GB it's nearly nothing.

I hope someone releases a PS2 emulator soon.

Does Nintendont work with this? I would like to give it a try.

Thank you so much for this thread. It's working well. Now I need to add some of the emulators and games to the SD card. And buy a bigger SD card. Only 2 GB it's nearly nothing.

I hope someone releases a PS2 emulator soon.

Does Nintendont work with this? I would like to give it a try.

PS2 emulator for Wii U sounds very hard, and mostly impossible if "soon".

Nintendont is a completely separate thing at the moment. Though it doesn't conflict with Wii U OS hacking, so you don't need a separate console or anything.

LewieP

PS2 emulator for Wii U sounds very hard, and mostly impossible if "soon".

Nintendont is a completely separate thing at the moment. Though it doesn't conflict with Wii U OS hacking, so you don't need a separate console or anything.

But a Wii U native version of Nintendont with Gamepad support would be great.

KingWool

Banned
Alright Robin / Rich

Needing help on loading this injected game.

I dumped Brain Age to my PC C:/wiiu/vol/content/0010

Inside is the rom.zip

I replaced the rom with my Phantom Hourglass rom and named it exactly the same as the brain age rom that was inside [WUP-N-DAAE.nds]

Then on my SD card I have /wiiu/games/ZeldaPhantom [ABCD01]/

Inside that folder are all the files from the content/0010

Now what?

Rich!

Alright Robin / Rich

Needing help on loading this injected game.

I dumped Brain Age to my PC C:/wiiu/vol/content/0010

Inside is the rom.zip

I replaced the rom with my Phantom Hourglass rom and named it exactly the same as the brain age rom that was inside [WUP-N-DAAE.nds]

Then on my SD card I have /wiiu/games/ZeldaPhantom [ABCD01]/

Inside that folder are all the files from the content/0010

Now what?

load that motherfucker

Top Bottom