• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

Boney

Banned
This is a Nintendo internal file lol, it always has been that way :p
I think tweaking it still give some undesireable behavoir as corrupted graphics and incorrect aspect ratio on the second screen in some games.
right right but figured some tweaking would lead to wii u's not crashing after closing the game and trying to boot another one as I remember.Or maybe at least a list of games that are mostly without hickups.

I'll try to play around with the screen positions as well to make them a bit larger both on the gamepad. A horizontal and vertical type and see if it looks ok.

By the way, if I already have the homebrew channel on vwii what's the next step to get the nintendont forwarder on the wii u side?

I'm so happy the Wii U is going to end up being the Nintendo console all in one collection, except for the N64 which is a bit tricky. It's the perfect set up to never get rid of it (not that anyone would be in the market for them heh)

Edit: Ended playing around with the config myself and it ended up pretty decent

3NEwTii.jpg

If anyone is interested I can share the code

Boney

Banned
Cool, it's for NDS? AFAIK you only can adjust the resulution.

Right. You can adjust the resolution, where do you want the screens to be placed (top left pixel), the description for the screen setting and you can even put a custom banner kinda like the DS graphic on the 1:1 mode.

This is for vertical screen orientation on the gamepad with the screens as big as possible.
Code:
"source": "upper",
                            "rotation": 0,
                            "size": "480 360",
                            "target": "tv",
                            "position": "400 0"
                        },
                        {
                            "source": "lower",
                            "size": "480 360",
                            "target": "tv",
                            "position": "400 360"

"size": "320 240",
							"target": "drc",
							"position": "267 0"
							},
							{
							"size": "320 240",
							"position": "267 240"

This is the side by side setting

Code:
{
                            "size": "420 315",
                            "position": "2 82"
                        },
                        {
                            "size": "420 315",
                            "position": "432 82"

you just have to replace the values on the configuration_cafe.json file. Useless lefty settings are perfect for that.

I've installed the forwarder for WIIU2HBC, and I'm just getting black screens and hard locks. Does it need cold boot haxchi to launch from the WII U forwarder (which I don't have?)

Platy

....did you people installed the homebrew channel on the vwii and played nintendon't without any shortcut before this ?

Audioboxer

Do you still need to buy a VC title to do this? Read a guide about a week ago which mentioned it and I thought I'll just hold off. I know it's cheap but I imagined sooner rather than later the coders would find a way to exploit without additional software.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Do you still need to buy a VC title to do this? Read a guide about a week ago which mentioned it and I thought I'll just hold off. I know it's cheap but I imagined sooner rather than later the coders would find a way to exploit without additional software.

Haxchi requires a VC title, since it's a type of contenthax that is exploiting a vulnerability of the "hachihachi" DS emulator of the VC.

I dunno if someone will make a hax that doesn't require a VC game, but it won't be Haxchi for sure.

Audioboxer

Haxchi requires a VC title, since it's a type of contenthax that is exploiting a vulnerability of the "hachihachi" DS emulator of the VC.

I dunno if someone will make a hax that doesn't require a VC game, but it won't be Haxchi for sure.

Guess I better buy something before there is a stealth FW update that restricts access to the store.

Apologies if this has already come up somewhere in the thread, but does homebrew allow you to get around the region locking? I'm planning on ripping the Wii U version of Zelda to play in Cemu, and if Nintendo doesn't include dual audio, I may opt to just get the Japanese version instead of the US one, assuming I'll still be able to rip it using an American Wii U.

Hey guys, haven't really followed the homebrew scene. Basically I bought my wiiu just basically for Xenoblade X but couldn't stand the english VA and stopped playing thought maybe someone would release and undub hacks which they have. However just wondering how's the progress with homebrew i know at some point you have to keep entering the browser to access homebrew on the console, but is there a permanent solution like the original wii with the homebrew channel? If so what do I need if i want to play xenoblade undub, would i have to rip the game or is there a patcher where i can just play with my disc.

I also am interest in DS emulation, I have purchased fire emblem on the ds and mainly just interested in play golden sun dark dawn how is the compatibility if any one knows? thanks to everyone that helps.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Hey guys, haven't really followed the homebrew scene. Basically I bought my wiiu just basically for Xenoblade X but couldn't stand the english VA and stopped playing thought maybe someone would release and undub hacks which they have. However just wondering how's the progress with homebrew i know at some point you have to keep entering the browser to access homebrew on the console, but is there a permanent solution like the original wii with the homebrew channel? If so what do I need if i want to play xenoblade undub, would i have to rip the game or is there a patcher where i can just play with my disc.

I also am interest in DS emulation, I have purchased fire emblem on the ds and mainly just interested in play golden sun dark dawn how is the compatibility if any one knows? thanks to everyone that helps.

Check here.

Hi everyone, I'm interested in Wii U homebrew primarily for ripping games to play in CEMU. I just have a few questions before I can get started.

1. How up to date is the OP? The first thing I tried to do was setup the DNS to block firmware updates. Using the DNS servers in the OP gave me no internet access, I could not even play Smash online. Are these DNS servers still recommended?
  2. Any advantages of SD vs MicroSD cards? My PC does not have an SD card reader, but I have a USB MicroSD card reader, so if it makes no difference then I'll go by a new MicroSD for the Wii U right away. How much space do I need on the SD card? I plan to dump games to USB external drive.
  3. For dumping games, do I need to format my external drive in any particular way? I have a lot data backed up and don't exactly want to reformat it if I don't have to.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Hi everyone, I'm interested in Wii U homebrew primarily for ripping games to play in CEMU. I just have a few questions before I can get started.

1. How up to date is the OP? The first thing I tried to do was setup the DNS to block firmware updates. Using the DNS servers in the OP gave me no internet access, I could not even play Smash online. Are these DNS servers still recommended?
  2. Any advantages of SD vs MicroSD cards? My PC does not have an SD card reader, but I have a USB MicroSD card reader, so if it makes no difference then I'll go by a new MicroSD for the Wii U right away. How much space do I need on the SD card? I plan to dump games to USB external drive.
  3. For dumping games, do I need to format my external drive in any particular way? I have a lot data backed up and don't exactly want to reformat it if I don't have to.

Don't go by the OP. It's outdated. Not 3DS Homebrew OP outdated, but still very much out of date. It's kinda hard to keep everything in touch with the latest developments when the scene is progressing as quick as it is nowadays, though.

This guide should give you a general idea of where to start. If you have any concrete question, feel free to ask them here ;)

As long as you're using the SD-sized adapter, there should be no performance difference between regular and micro SD cards. I would go for the HDD setup, though.

You dump games to the SD card, not the external drive, since it still has to be in Wii U format. Hopefully Dimok releases his new version of Mocha with FAT32 compatibility soon.

Hero

Hey all, looking into hacking my Wii U.

Question though, can all can we do with it?

What type of MAME and emulator support does it have?
Possible to do Wii and GCN backups to play from HDD as well?

To piggy back off the other posters who is getting started with Wii U homebrew, I also wanted to ask what the current Wii U firmware version is. From what I understand, the current method of hacking via the web browser requires firmware that is at most 5.5.1. Is 5.5.1 still the most recent, or is there a 5.5.2 or 5.6.0 that I need to worry about?

mojo2

Neo Member
I can run Wii U and DS games through Loadiine but somehow all emulators crash in the loading screen when starting to launch from homebrew launcher. Loading bar goes about 80% and then freeze. Has anyone had the same problem? I tried the search already with no luck. Tried four different emulators, all downloaded straight from the homebrew launcher app thingy.

To piggy back off the other posters who is getting started with Wii U homebrew, I also wanted to ask what the current Wii U firmware version is. From what I understand, the current method of hacking via the web browser requires firmware that is at most 5.5.1. Is 5.5.1 still the most recent, or is there a 5.5.2 or 5.6.0 that I need to worry about?

5.5.1 is the latest AFAIK.

Blues1990

Don't go by the OP. It's outdated. Not 3DS Homebrew OP outdated, but still very much out of date. It's kinda hard to keep everything in touch with the latest developments when the scene is progressing as quick as it is nowadays, though.

This guide should give you a general idea of where to start. If you have any concrete question, feel free to ask them here ;)

As long as you're using the SD-sized adapter, there should be no performance difference between regular and micro SD cards. I would go for the HDD setup, though.

You dump games to the SD card, not the external drive, since it still has to be in Wii U format. Hopefully Dimok releases his new version of Mocha with FAT32 compatibility soon.

Exactly where can I find the information for what version my console is on? 'Cause I need to know before going through this whole process, and I don't want anything to brick my system if my console is in a later version.

Zomba13

So I got the Homebrew channel and the Haxchi stuff installed using the guide from the Wii U Hacks subreddit.

What do I use to rip my games?
Can I rip my games to my Wii U formatted external USB drive directly?
Can I rip my games over wifi to my PC like I could on a hacked Wii?
And maybe not fully relevant, will my ripped games work in the Wii U emulator without anything needed to be done or will I have to find patches for the setting? Cemu is still kind of confusing for me (I've not yet downloaded it but read the GAF threads).

Think this is basically all my questions for now. For my VC injection emulation I'm happy with the N3DSXL and what I've got on there. Though I guess there is N64 and Wii VC stuff I could mess around with, can you inject N64 roms and Wii isos? Would be super cool to finally have my Wii library on a hard drive, well, one that works on the console and isn't inside my PC feeding Dolphin. Is there GC VC stuff as well?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Exactly where can I find the information for what version my console is on? 'Cause I need to know before going through this whole process, and I don't want anything to brick my system if my console is in a later version.

You can find what version you're running in the System Settings option, but 5.5.1 is the latest version. If you're not on 5.5.1, just update it as you would normally do.

Also, those of you testing RetroArch 1.4 stable, remember to delete your previous config and settings files, to avoid any incompatibility between versions!

Blues1990

You can find what version you're running in the System Settings option, but 5.5.1 is the latest version. If you're not on 5.5.1, just update it as you would normally do.

Also, those of you testing RetroArch 1.4 stable, remember to delete your previous config and settings files, to avoid any incompatibility between versions!

Okay, it seems I have the right system version, and the process was pretty painless. With that said....

So I got the Homebrew channel and the Haxchi stuff installed using the guide from the Wii U Hacks subreddit.

What do I use to rip my games?
Can I rip my games to my Wii U formatted external USB drive directly?
Can I rip my games over wifi to my PC like I could on a hacked Wii?
And maybe not fully relevant, will my ripped games work in the Wii U emulator without anything needed to be done or will I have to find patches for the setting? Cemu is still kind of confusing for me (I've not yet downloaded it but read the GAF threads).

Think this is basically all my questions for now. For my VC injection emulation I'm happy with the N3DSXL and what I've got on there. Though I guess there is N64 and Wii VC stuff I could mess around with, can you inject N64 roms and Wii isos? Would be super cool to finally have my Wii library on a hard drive, well, one that works on the console and isn't inside my PC feeding Dolphin. Is there GC VC stuff as well?

Basically all of this, and then some. I just want to back up my Wii U games, in case if anything happens.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Okay, it seems I have the right system version, and the process was pretty painless. With that said....

Basically all of this, and then some. I just want to back up my Wii U games, in case if anything happens.

You can use wudump, though it's kind hard on the technical side.

There's another tool on GBATemp that makes everything much easier, but I won't link to it because, even though the tool itself has nothing copyrighted, its uses are much more debatable.

Thanks Joey! I have one more question. Nintendo says that only SDHC memory up to 32GB is supported on the Wii U, is the same true for Homebrew?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Did you have to format them in any specific way, or does Homebrew bypass the limitations via software?

They are FAT32, nothing special about them. Though the microSD in the USB adapter is "stealthed" with UStealth so that the Wii U doesn't recognize it as another USB drive and tries to format it every time it boots up. USB Loader GX on the vWii can see it just fine, though.

Blues1990

You can use wudump, though it's kind hard on the technical side.

There's another tool on GBATemp that makes everything much easier, but I won't link to it because, even though the tool itself has nothing copyrighted, its uses are much more debatable.

Cool, thank you for the information, man. :)

Chris R

A mod or the OP should update the OP then pointing to this post... This info was what I needed to get started so it does work, the stuff in the OP does NOT work.

Hello everyone, I'm just here for a couple of questions that I hope you all can answer.

To begin, I was consulting this guide when I started reading up on the stuff involving redNAND and Coldboot Haxchi. I think I have an understanding of their purposes (backing up NAND and allowing you to boot straight into CFW right?), but I notice they're both optional.

The coldboot stuff looks pretty scary with the brick warnings, and I simply don't have a big enough SD card available for redNAND with the largest I have being 32 GBs for my 32 GB Wii U. That said, would I be able to continue the guide skipping these steps, and/or what would I be missing out on by not doing this stuff?

Thank you in advance.

Hello everyone, I'm just here for a couple of questions that I hope you all can answer.

To begin, I was consulting this guide when I started reading up on the stuff involving redNAND and Coldboot Haxchi. I think I have an understanding of their purposes (backing up NAND and allowing you to boot straight into CFW right?), but I notice they're both optional.

The coldboot stuff looks pretty scary with the brick warnings, and I simply don't have a big enough SD card available for redNAND with the largest I have being 32 GBs for my 32 GB Wii U. That said, would I be able to continue the guide skipping these steps, and/or what would I be missing out on by not doing this stuff?

Thank you in advance.

Yeah, RedNAND doesn't really have a purpose at the moment unless you want to tinker with system files or install leaked Dev programs (none of which do anything useful for a normal user) and you can skip ColdBoot Haxchi and just use normal Haxchi instead just remember to use a DNS blocker to prevent updates.

oxidax

Is there still no way to use a SD bigger than 32gb or perhaps an external drive? Last time I checked the SD card couldnt be bigger than 32gb.

Top Bottom