• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Japanese Launch: 308,570 systems sold, Mario leads with 170,563 copies

Laguna

Banned
comparison: PSV software sales (launch week)

07./00. [PSV] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2011.12.17} (¥4.980) – 61.412 / NEW
08./00. [PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2011.12.17} (¥5.980) – 48.224 / NEW
18./00. [PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next (Koei Tecmo) {2011.12.17} (¥6.090) – 29.181 / NEW
19./00. [PSV] Lord of Apocalypse (Square Enix) {2011.12.17} (¥5.980) – 28.742 / NEW

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think you would have to call the home consoles support better right?

Well, here's a list of Wii games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wii_games

I'll try to grab the big Western ones. Correct me on anything I'm missing or shouldn't be in here:
-Just Dance series
-Some Call of Duty entries
-EA Sports Active
-Sports games
-GoldenEye
-Guitar Hero
-Marvel Ultimate Alliance
-Zumba Fitness
-Boom Blox
-Some late PS2 ports near launch (Medal of Honor, Tomb Raider, The Godfather, Prince of Persia, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell: Double Agent)
-Red Steel series
-Cooking Mama
-Carnival Games
-de Blob
-Epic Mickey
-Lego titles
-uDraw

Bruno MB

Actually this is an interesting question.

How would you rate the Wii and GameCube's Western support versus the 3DS and DS's Western support?

3DS simply doesn't have any kind of Western third-paty support (this year it doesn't even have NFS or COD) NDS at least received a lot of multiplatform titles although most of them were rubbish.

GameCube had better Western support than NDS, 3DS and even Wii combined, so with that system in the comparison this is not even a contest for the home consoles.

Elios83

Really hard to make a meaningful comment without knowing the intial shipment.
The fact that they sold less than Wii and Vita is not a good thing, still 300k is definetly not bad. We'll see in the coming weeks.

Nibel

Some of you forget that Japan is the land where handhelds are kings; considering that, it's a good start for the Wii U, especially since the price is much higher in Japan if I remember correctly (someone might correct me if I'm wrong please)

Now: what will Nintendo's reaction be? I'm curious

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
3DS simply doesn't have any kind of Western third-paty support (this year it doesn't even have NFS or COD) NDS at least received a lot of multiplatform titles although most of them were rubbish.

GameCube had better Western support than NDS, 3DS and even Wii combined, so with that system in the comparison this is not even a contest for the home consoles.

Would you say it got worse over time for Nintendo's home consoles and handhelds in the West?

kswiston

We won't have an idea of how well the Wii U is doing until January. I am sure that hardware sales will remain high through the holiday as is the case with every Nintendo system ever in Japan.

Sid

Some of you forget that Japan is the land where handhelds are kings; considering that, it's a good start for the Wii U, especially since the price is much higher in Japan if I remember correctly (someone might correct me if I'm wrong please)

Now: what will Nintendo's reaction be? I'm curious
VITA didn't have a single big Japanese game @ launch.

Spiegel

comparison: PSV software sales (launch week)

07./00. [PSV] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2011.12.17} (¥4.980) – 61.412 / NEW
08./00. [PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2011.12.17} (¥5.980) – 48.224 / NEW
18./00. [PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next (Koei Tecmo) {2011.12.17} (¥6.090) – 29.181 / NEW
19./00. [PSV] Lord of Apocalypse (Square Enix) {2011.12.17} (¥5.980) – 28.742 / NEW

Better use the same tracker (Famitsu)

7 PSV Hot Shots Golf 6: World Invitational SCE 2011-12-17 - 51,577
9 PSV Uncharted: Golden Abyss SCE 2011-12-17 - 43,042
13 PSV Dynasty Warriors NEXT Koei Tecmo 2011-12-17 - 32,044
16 PSV Lord of Apocalypse Square Enix 2011-12-17 - 29,111
22 PSV Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention Nippon Ichi 2011-12-17 - 21,848
24 PSV Ridge Racer Namco Bandai Games 2011-12-17 - 18,852
25 PSV Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru: 11 Hitome no Suspect Chunsoft 2011-12-17 - 18,761

+3 more games in the top 50 (Media-Create). Possibly higher than >5k

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So in Japan they don't count bundled games? If not, then the nintendoland figures cant be called a success or failure until we know how many deluxes were sold with nintendoland included.

Any breakdown of basic/premium?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

No. Just no, Bruno.

Theorymon

So in Japan they don't count bundled games? If not, then the nintendoland figures cant be called a success or failure until we know how many deluxes were sold with nintendoland included.

I'm pretty sure Nintendoland isn't a pack in anywhere in Japan, I could be wrong though.

Nintendo Land isn't bundled in Japan from what I have read.

Juken

I don't think it was bundled in Japan.

crinale

You are correct but that is because of the strong Yen. That makes HD twins also more expensive, and thus making WiiU's price is fairly comparable to them.

You also said that Japan' is the land of handheld, and that is very true IMHO. Compared to dominant handheld (3DS, of course), all HD consoles look "expensive" from Japanese customers.

Really hard to make a meaningful comment without knowing the intial shipment.
The fact that they sold less than Wii and Vita is not a good thing, still 300k is definetly not bad. We'll see in the coming weeks.

By all accounts it's not a sell out. So the numbers are a good indication of where the demand is right now.

Not sure if they're facing the same (largely self-created) customer awareness challenges that they are in the West.

Because it is targeted to the audience not interested in PS3/360 from the first place. At some game stores in Japan I've seen Wii sold out, not WiiU. Recession is really a global matter.

Japan has been basically in recession for two decades. Hasn't been problem before. For example PS2 launched with price tag of 30k yen and Wii launched with same price as Wii U (25k). I actually don't remember any home console launching with lower price. Maybe GameCube? Wii U is not expensive in Japan.

Bumhead

Banned
Always interesting to know such numbers, although as always they're nothing more than a curious discussion point for now rather than an indicator of the systems future fate.

That's a pretty good launch.

Everyone seems to be forgetting the fact that the New Super Mario Bros. games are evergreen titles. Furthermore, I think it's safe to assume Nintendo Land will also be an evergreen title considering how well Wii Sports did but NSMBU alone ensures that the system's sales won't tank like those of the Vita.

Out of curiosity, do the Vita's launch sales in this thread account for as many days as the Wii U?

No. 4 days vs 2

Hero

Respectable numbers but it's the post-holiday sales that will be indicative of how the system appeals to the Japanese and without much of a line-up I am skeptical.

Konami, S-E and Capcom seem deadset on PS4/720 based on their engine development.

Will be interesting to see where Level 5, Namco and Atlus head. Me thinks they will focus on handhelds, PS3 and maybe Wii-U for at least another 2 years, and wait for a larger install base before moving on.
No way, Capcom and Konami are both focusing on crossgen scalability with MT Framework and FOX Engine. You can expect both to give Wii U a good amount of support. Square Enix is the only real question mark with Luminous, but then even they gave a nod to scalability by saying it'll run on an iPad. Besides which they still have Crystal Tools and UE3 stuff that will probably still make it to Wii U.

Namco Bandai will support everything, Level 5 will go handhelds+Wii U (Ninobombi killed PS3 for them), Atlus will focus on handhelds and continue PS360.

All-time low was Wii. It's practically impossible for Wii U to be that bad, though it's not looking likely to end up too much better in that regard.
I don't know, I think GameCube was even worse. EA barely supported it. Wii at least had a few earnest efforts from Ubisoft and epic mickey. Casual wise tiger woods, EA's Wii fit rip off, just dance and guitar hero all did extremely well on Wii which was probably the best success Western developers had ever seen off a Nintendo platform.

Bruno MB

No way, Capcom and Konami are both focusing on crossgen scalability with MT Framework and FOX Engine. You can expect both to give Wii U a good amount of support. Square Enix is the only real question mark with Luminous, but then even they gave a nod to scalability by saying it'll run on an iPad. Besides which they still have Crystal Tools and UE3 stuff that will probably still make it to Wii U.

Namco Bandai will support everything, Level 5 will go handhelds+Wii U (Ninobombi killed PS3 for them), Atlus will focus on handhelds and continue PS360.

Konami giving Wii U a good amount of support is as likely as Epic or Bethesda supporting Wii U.

And I would kill for a new big Goemon adventure title :(

Kenka

A sales-age thread of greater importance with a french source and the_lascar is nowhere to be seen. Well, fuck him.

I think you would have to call the home consoles support better right?

I'm not sure, but I made a list

GC had

- SW Rogue Squad II
- Need For Speed (multiple games)
- Madden (annual)
- Fifa (annual)
- NBA 2K (annual)
- Tiger Woods (annual)
- James Bond 007
- Lego Star Wars
- Splinter Cell (multiple games)
- Prince of Persia (multiple games)
- Ghost Recon (multiple games)

DS had
- Cooking Mama
- COD (annual)
- Lego Star Wars
- Lego Indy
- Lego Harry Potter
- Sims (multiple games)
- Civilization Revolution
- Guitar Hero
- Imagine: Babyz/Petz (GAF doesn't like it, but I think it was a biggish franchise)
- Scribblenauts
- Carnival Games
- GTA: CW
- Madden (not every year)
- Fifa (not every year)
- Tiger Woods PGA (not every year)
- Need for Speed (multiple games)
- Zhuzhu pets
- Lego Pirates
- Splinter Cell
- Assassin's Creed (multiple games)
- Prince of Persia (multiple games)
- Brothers in Arms

Wii had
- Just Dance (multiple games)
- Red Steel (multiple games)
- Zumba
- Carnival Games (multiple games)
- Guitar Hero (multiple games)
- COD (multiple games)
- Lego Star Wars
- Michael Jackson dancing game
- Epic Mickey (multiple games)
- Lego Indy
- Lego Batman
- Skylanders
- Rockband (multiple games)
- GoldenEye
- Sims
- Tiger Woods (annual)
- Fifa (annual)
- Madden (annual)
- Dead Space
- Rayman
- Lego Pirates
- Splinter Cell
- Brothers in Arms (multiple games)

3DS has
- Lego Star Wars
- Rayman
- Skylanders
- Cooking Mama
- Lego Pirates
- Sims
- Fifa
- Madden
- Lego Harry Potter
- Lego Batman
- Splinter Cell
- Ghost Recon
- Angry Birds

I probably missed some games but I say in terms of western support, DS > GC and Wii > 3DS (for now).

The art direction wasn't the problem with FF XIII, that looked good enough to wow anyone then, today, or 3 years from now. The issue was all in the design, and a new platform is no guarantee of that changing.

Yup, I'm playing through it currently and the visuals still impress. I was only replying to the point made concerning SE's reputation as a crafter of fine graphical showpieces. Time and time again, I've seen the argument in Wii U threads that some (specifically Japanese) developers will welcome the current gen confines of Wii U, because next gen dev costs will balloon to even more dangerous levels than they are now. And while budgets are likely to rise, the prospect of devs limiting themselves to one (non-portable) console in order to avoid the inevitable upward shift seems quite detached from reality. For one thing, the type of PS3/Xbox360/WiiU games that I believe we are talking about here ("B-level") would still cost boatloads more money and manpower than your average iOS, XBLA, indie-style game. If anything, it will be important to get all hands on deck for the flagship AAA next gen titles. Then again, if this generation does linger on a bit longer, it makes more sense for these non-flagship titles to be cross-generational. There's simply more money to be made, and just because a machine offers a certain amount of power does not require that all of it be harnessed or that budgets have to rise. Even if current gen is targeted, there is little to be lost from releasing an upresed, better performing version on Durango/Orbis. This sacred reputation which was spoken of for only releasing graphical masterpieces is not an issue of concern for execs.

This is perhaps getting too much off topic, but my point is that third parties are at the point where they are transitioning or have already transitioned many of their resources to next gen, and while hopefully the eShop can provide a fair shot at success for indie devs and lower budget releases, Wii U will not be a savior from next gen dev costs for high profile publishers like SE. At least, not in the way some are hoping (although casual titles will still hold some place in these companies' fiscal plans.)

Does not compute

Decent launch. Let's see how it performs!
This is the first console launch Capcom's shown up for since PS2. How's that compute?

Konami giving Wii U a good amount of support is as likely as Epic or Bethesda supporting Wii U.

And I would kill for a new big Goemon adventure title :(
Epic is supporting Wii U. UE3. :)

Konami gave Wii a good amount of support (PES, Powerpro, random stuff like Elebits/Dewey) which I expect will continue on Wii U. Probably some casual Hudson stuff too like Deca Sports or eShop fare.

Majmun

SE telling us that they'll port the Luminous engine to the iPad doesn't mean a thing for WiiU support..

There will be a tablet version and a console version. Both will be entirely different and for different type of games. And don't ever expect a game such as the next big FF game to be released on a tablet either.

I'm sure that SE will focus on the next PS and Xbox again if both consoles end up being vastly more powerful than the WiiU.. They'll cover all the markets with that choice. I don't expect much WiiU support, to be honest. And that's all thanks to WiiU's hardware power, or the lack of it...

I'm sure that SE will focus on the next PS and Xbox again if both consoles end up being vastly more powerful than the WiiU.. They'll cover all the markets with that choice. I don't expect much WiiU support, to be honest. And that's all thanks to WiiU's hardware power, or the lack of it...

SE already put their 2nd biggest franchise on WiiU.

I don't know, I think GameCube was even worse. EA barely supported it. Wii at least had a few earnest efforts from Ubisoft and epic mickey. Casual wise tiger woods, EA's Wii fit rip off, just dance and guitar hero all did extremely well on Wii which was probably the best success Western developers had ever seen off a Nintendo platform.

How was GC worse? It was still getting a decent (though still well behind Xbox) percentage of multiplatform games even well into its lifespan. Wii got basically no PS3/360 multiplats aside from Call of Duty, some licensed titles, and EA Sports.

Majmun

SE already put their 2nd biggest franchise on WiiU.

Franchise only popular in Japan and a port.

Not saying much yet, tbh.

SE putting out the next main FF on Ps4 and X720, instead of just Wiiu, will be a more logical choice. Don't think that the option to release that game on all three platforms exists...

xandaca

Precisely. Gamecube's third-party support was far worse than the Wii's: the 'cube got a handful of multiplatform games, mostly ones aimed at a younger audience, but was barely supported by even the biggest publishers. The Wii missed out on most multiplatform games, but got a pretty good number of strong exclusives. Neither were exactly good, but the Wii definitely edged it.

SE telling us that they'll port the Luminous engine to the iPad doesn't mean a thing for WiiU support..

There will be a tablet version and a console version. Both will be entirely different and for different type of games. And don't ever expect a game such as the next big FF game to be released on a tablet either.

I'm not really expecting much from SE outside Dragon Quest. Maybe Wii U can also get some last gen ports (FFXIV, UE3 ARPG, etc) but I think that'll be as good as it gets. They'll go for high end PS4/Durango for FF and Eidos, 3DS for everything else.

Hero

Franchise only popular in Japan and a port.

Not saying much yet, tbh.

SE putting out the next main FF on Ps4 and X720 instead of just Wiiu, will be a more logical choice. Don't think that the option to release that game on all three platforms exists...

SE can't even get FF Versus XIII out the door in a timely fashion (i.e. an entire console generation). I don't think Orbis/Durango development would really do them any better.

Majmun

SE can't even get FF Versus XIII out the door in a timely fashion (i.e. an entire console generation). I don't think Orbis/Durango development would really do them any better.

That game just shows their incompetence regarding that project.

They will be releasing their 3rd big-budget FF game (excluding Versus) by the end of this gen...

Top Bottom