• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm not so sure. When there are multiplatform games. There's going to be a lot of talk comparing the minute differences between the three.

I think in two years the graphic capabilities will be generally accepted, and discussion for multiplatform titles will be similar to how it has played out for Virtue's Last Reward. The two exceptions for this will be:

A. Multiplatform titles primarily developed for WiiU and ported to the 720 & PS4
B. High profile third party games that are WiiU exclusive (the Epic Mickeys and MhTris of the world).

But even in those cases I don't think tech-talk will be as abundant as it was in Wii discussions.

I'm not so sure. When there are multiplatform games. There's going to be a lot of talk comparing the minute differences between the three.

Yes, and since the Wii U appears to be more in-between graphical generations compared to the Wii, you can expect some more head-to-head comparisons. Not only to the PS4 and Durango, but to the 360, PS3, Vita, future iPads, and PC.

The same thing will happen to the PS4 and Durango, at least for the first few years as developers learn how to use more of their power.

Stewox

Banned
Am I the only gaffer who is sick and tired of hearing Wii-U tech talk?

That's actually the only big thing I can talk about, but there's smaller stuff anyone likes like pre-event behind the scene stuff.

You know why ... because everything else seems irrelevant of focus, it's alread okay, no need to discuss about it.
Discussing about the stuff that needs to be improved is proper feedback that helps them as well.

GPU specs great ... check
Games will be great, it's nintendo ... check
3rd parties? i don't care about them ... check
Price/release date I don't care until I really want to buy it ... check
I have patience ... check

no USB3.0 .... disappointment
RAM capacity .... worth speculating
terminal range .... debatable

PrimeRib_

This is only because the specs haven't been detailed yet. Once they are, this talk will shift over to something else, like how Nintendo failed or participated comparably in the current gen/mid-gen war.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yes, and since the Wii U appears to be more in-between graphical generations compared to the Wii, you can expect some more head-to-head comparisons. Not only to the PS4 and Durango, but to the 360, PS3, Vita, future iPads, and PC.

Sorry but no. WiiU is maybe just a tad better the PS360. In fact, there will be games that will still perform better on PS360 then WiiU due to the relatively slow CPU used.

I don't expect to be any multiplatform games on PS4 and Durango and will appear only on WiiU because of it's technical ability.

andthebeatgoeson

Dude, we will never know the full extent of what the WiiU can and can't do, what Nintendo can squeeze out of it. 3DS tech talk is still abundant. We won't stop hearing tech talk, ever.

But enough games will make it irrelevant. We just need to see launch games, any suprises and the 2013 lineup. Zelda, Smash and 3D mario would make a lot of this talk irrelevant.

1-UP

Banned
Sorry but no. WiiU is maybe just a tad better the PS360. In fact, there will be games that will still perform better on PS360 then WiiU due to the relatively slow CPU used.

I don't expect to be any multiplatform games on PS4 and Durango and will appear only on WiiU because of it's technical ability.

I love how rumors and speculation becomes fact...

RedSwirl

Well, on exception to this is Kid Icarus, which is very original and full of ideas; while it uses an established character, it is basically a reboot of the entire premise and creates a fully fleshed out universe. It also has original play mechanics.

However, the portable scene could be suffering from the same general malaise as the entire industry, that is true I think. There are not a lot of chances being take on entirely new IP and/or unusual and inventive ideas. There are a few games to watch out for on 3DS like Code of Princess from Atlus.

I'm still kind of mystified by the lack of RPGs at this point except Bravely Default in Japan. I feel like by this point in the DS's lifespan we'd at least have a few more.

We've got a few things coming this fall though like Power of Illusion, Zero Escape, Code of Princess, and Professor Layton. If you wanna talk about interesting IPs, for some reason the most interesting one to me has been Pushmo - it seems to have everything a good Nintendo IP should have. It's one of the rare examples recently of a great fresh game from them. It's also part of why most of my time with the 3DS recently has been spent on digital games.

Stewox

Banned
This is only because the specs haven't been detailed yet. Once they are, this talk will shift over to something else, like how Nintendo failed or participated comparably in the current gen/mid-gen war.

I need to explain this further to let this clear out a bit.

The talk will probaly shift only for some people who aren't pushing the tech talk them selfs, I can confirm to you this will be the case for most of those guys who were discussing it since speculation threads.

I am a tech guy, when we know full specs, i won't shift anyone, I talk about tech, that's what I like, i don't talk about anything else much, a few exeptions here and there.

You may see the result as a shift because those people who normally don't talk about it won't be pulled into the discussion, but it won't really happen for all those who brought the information of tech.

As a matter of fact, I will go elsewhere to discuss tech about something else that comes up. I won't shift my primary talk at all, just re-locate to another topic of tech, whatever, maybe by the time we're done here those freaking IDTech5 mod tools would be released ...

I registered on this forum just because of WiiU (but not limited to) tech talk.

I there's nothing about tech to talk about, i don't talk at all. :)

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

The talk will probaly shift only for some people who aren't pushing the tech talk them selfs, I can confirm to you this will be the case for most of those guys who were discussing it since speculation threads.

I am a tech guy, when we know full specs, i won't shift anyone, I talk about tech, that's what I like, i don't talk about anything else much, a few exeptions here and there.

You may see the result as a shift because those people who normally don't talk about it won't be pulled into the discussion, but it won't really happen for all those who brought the information of tech.

As a matter of fact, I will go elsewhere to discuss tech about something else that comes up. I won't shift my primary talk at all, just re-locate to another topic of tech, whatever, maybe by the time we're done here those freaking IDTech5 mod tools would be released ...

"I Tech Talk, Deal With It !"

And the funniest part is yet to come, when we'll be able to compare the tech of different systems.

"Oh look, X is so much stronger than Y for theoretical calculation, geometry, etc, but Y is more efficient for textures, however, it lacks of this exotic feature of Z which is pretty interesting !"

Eideka

Banned

No offense but I can't take you seriously after the Wii U 1080p debacle. Besides, you claimed that Arkham City will run at 1080p and there is no evidence supporting this.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Please stop with your "facts". We know nothing yet. Just rumors and speculations.

The ongoing system specs information so far leaked is zeroing on a tight and consistent performance range of WiiU. Nothing so far points to it being a powerhouse or indeed, being anywhere near a order of magnitude better then the current HD twins.

Stewox

Banned

I don't usually do attack posts, since you're entitled to your beliefs, but for sake of the confusion problem, maybe you should revise your content to reflect as an opinion, to not make this even bigger trainwreck it already is.

With a friendly note:

You cannot use fact-format with that content, if no that would amount to spreading false claims.

Anth0ny

Right now I've accepted that Wii U will be on par with PS3/360 tech wise. Maybe it's marginally stronger, I don't really give a shit. It's not worth the headache to talk/argue about it.

I just want games.

Banned
Good morning peeps (or afternoon to all you people in different time zones) what I miss besides more hardware talk?

Stewox

Banned
The ongoing system specs information so far leaked is zeroing on a tight and consistent performance range of WiiU. Nothing so far points to it being a powerhouse or indeed, being anywhere near a order of magnitude better then the current HD twins.

Okay if you're so sure, let's give you the way to explain your self how did you end up to that conclusion, what are your observations, analysis, logical assesment and estimations ..etc.

Go on ... whole gaf is listening ... lets see what info you have.

boyshine

"I Tech Talk, Deal With It !"

And the funniest part is yet to come, when we'll be able to compare the tech of different systems.

"Oh look, X is so much stronger than Y for theoretical calculation, geometry, etc, but Y is more efficient for textures, however, it lacks of this exotic feature of Z which is pretty interesting !"

I hope you're joking. I find it funny to read, because it's basically guys trying to show other guys how much they (think they) know about console hardware.. some even completely ignore that and list whatever retail pc component they feel would do the job better.. but the point is neither side know anything, yet they argue like they know everything.

Can't wait to play the games.

The ongoing system specs information so far leaked is zeroing on a tight and consistent performance range of WiiU.
Nothing so far points to it being a powerhouse or indeed, being anywhere near a order of magnitude better then the current HD twins.

If you have actually been keeping up with the rumors then you would know thats exactly what it is.

From what we've heard from BG and IM specifically say 1.5 is the minimum as far as ram. 3 times more than the 360 (and faster you can be assured),
32MB EDRAM (3.2 times more than the 360), a modern GPU, and a CPU based on new architecture that most people don't understand so they
immediately act like they can directly compare it to PS3 360, which is absurd.

Not to mention the dedicated audio DSP, (audio eats tons of resources on 360 games), and the OoOE capabilities of the CPU alone will allow for MUCH
more efficient processing.

What people don't understand is you can't simply compare the numbers directly or compare them at all without having knowledge of how the system works.
Nintendo loves to create incredibly balanced systems that use the absolute most out of their hardware.

When creating the Gamecube it was pretty much Nintendo's mission to create a system that had no bottlenecks, something that is very easy to do on the 360.
They still have this philosophy when creating systems, and it will pay off with the choices they have made.

Man when this system launches a lot of people are going to eat crow.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I hope you're joking. I find it funny to read, because it's basically guys trying to show other guys how much they (think they) know about console hardware.. some even completely ignore that and list whatever retail pc component they feel would do the job better.. but the point is neither side know anything, yet they argue like they know everything.

Can't wait to play the games.

Oh it depends, sometimes it's like what you're describing, sometimes it's interesting :)

Well, the wait is not too long now.

XenodudeX

Right now I've accepted that Wii U will be on par with PS3/360 tech wise.
How do you accept a fact that isn't a fact? You've been saying the exact same fucking thing over and over again, it's not going to make this any more true now than it did in the past.

1-UP

Banned

Still just rumors and speculations... not facts.

HegeMon

Neo Member
We haven't talked "to death" of the awesome potential of Wii U panorama view for food ...

May I please help talk this to death with you? Or at least talk it to a career-ending injury?

And since we seem to be the only ones interested in VR-type applications of the gamepad, may I appeal to you again for an answer to this question I posed a couple of days ago??

And for the rest of you guys, it's still tech talk. Really!

Rolf NB

If you have actually been keeping up with the rumors then you would know thats exactly what it is.

<...>
So basically, you elect to believe the sources that say the things you want to hear, and dismiss the sources that say things you don't want to hear. This is how these Wii U threads work, right?

Me, I believe in physics. Which means I'm reasonably confident that the GPU will draw less than 40W.

ozfunghi

Sorry but no.

That is all.

Here is the thing though: the next console generation will be more of a refinement of the current-gen. Many of the graphical features that the PS4 and Durango are already doable in some form on the 360/PS3. It will be more of the little details that will make the difference, such as more realistic lighting, weather, and water effects, in which the current-gen was not terrible at.

According to that recent EG article, one source stated "Wii U has a powerful GPU with more oomph than the rivals - and is more modern in architecture and shader support, which may come in handy later on." We currently do not know how well the Wii U can handle tessellation, but if the system is efficient enough to use it, that can really help it a bit in head-to-head comparisons. In some ways, comparing the Wii U, PS3, Durango may end up like comparing a game on low, medium, and high PCs.

Typically the term order of magnitude implies a logarithmic scale...

But then the rumored PS470 aren't an order of magnitude either under such definition.

So basically, you elect to believe the sources that say the things you want to hear, and dismiss the sources that say things you don't want to hear. This is how these Wii U threads work, right?

Me, I believe in physics. Which means I'm reasonably confident that the GPU will draw less than 40W.
People from both sides of the fence believe what they want to hear.

From what we've heard from BG and IM specifically say 1.5 is the minimum as far as ram. 3 times more than the 360 (and faster you can be assured),
32MB EDRAM (3.2 times more than the 360), a modern GPU, and a CPU based on new architecture that most people don't understand so they
immediately act like they can directly compare it to PS3 360, which is absurd.

Not to mention the dedicated audio DSP, (audio eats tons of resources on 360 games), and the OoOE capabilities of the CPU alone will allow for MUCH
more efficient processing.

What people don't understand is you can't simply compare the numbers directly or compare them at all without having knowledge of how the system works.
Nintendo loves to create incredibly balanced systems that use the absolute most out of their hardware.

When creating the Gamecube it was pretty much Nintendo's mission to create a system that had no bottlenecks, something that is very easy to do on the 360.
They still have this philosophy when creating systems, and it will pay off with the choices they have made.

Man when this system launches a lot of people are going to eat crow.

No, you are wrong. A couple dudes in a forum have declared Nintendos new console to be poorly crafted weak junk. This is probably due to the fact that the engineers that work for them are incredibly uneducated and lazy, and they were probably hired by drawing straws and not ability. Everyone knows how lazy, uneducated, and undedicated the engineers that work for Japans multi billionaire electronics companies are.

You want tech savvy brilliance, you must consult dudes in forums.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
May I please help talk this to death with you? Or at least talk it to a career-ending injury?

And since we seem to be the only ones interested in VR-type applications of the gamepad, may I appeal to you again for an answer to this question I posed a couple of days ago??

And for the rest of you guys, it's still tech talk. Really!

Dear HegeMon,

I would be pleased to chat about VR and other similar applications with you.

When you'll see a frenchie walking into your cabin, eating sandwiches baguette, it will be me.

For your question regarding calibration, i never heard once that developers have met such problems, but they were mostly working with tethered gamepad. Although i'm pretty sure there won't be major issues in the wireless retail unit either.

Yours Sincerely,

IdeaMan

When it launches? I think you mean a year or two after launch, as I don't think anybody is suggesting that the launch lineup demonstrates how awesome the hardware is.

No, that should have been phrased better. I said once it is released, because first day someone always has the pleasure of ripping that fucker open and seeing what is really inside. Once we have an idea of what realistically is in the system then we will have a WAY better picture of what this system is going to be capable of.

Right now we are missing easily the two most important specs, the exact GPU and CPU. There are several suggestions, and rumors out for both systems, a lot of which don't particularly add up. Either way, once we see more concrete evidence on the specs then we can have some factual base for discussion.

This whole Wii-U only has 1.5GB of ram and 720 has 8GB of ram, so that means its more than 4 times more powerful that Wii-U, is ridiculous.

No, you are wrong. A couple dudes in a forum have declared Nintendos new console to be poorly crafted weak junk. This is probably due to the fact that the engineers that work for them are incredibly uneducated and lazy, and they were probably hired by drawing straws and not ability. Everyone knows how lazy, uneducated, and undedicated the engineers that work for Japans multi billionaire electronics companies are.

You want tech savvy brilliance, you must consult dudes in forums.

But that's the thing. I don't think Nintendo's engineers have been tasked with creating the most powerful hardware they can, rather they've been told to make the most profitable, reliable hardware they can. And I'm sure the Wii U will be insanely profitable and insanely reliable, so the engineers will have done their jobs admirably, but that doesn't mean it'll necessarily be powerful. The Wii, the DS and 3DS are all as low-performance as they could realistically get away with, and considering their success, I feel they're going to continue this trend with the Wii U.

TheD

The Detective
Skyrim was limited to 2GB on PC, a lot of games go this route... that is even pushing the 1080p and even 1600p resolutions that some people play at, a lower resolution does require less ram, so as long as "next gen" doesn't exceed 720p for the majority of games, 2GB should be more than enough.

That 2GB is not including graphics RAM.
Skyrim should have been large address aware from the start and more and more games will have support for it in the future.

Think of it this way, currently PS3 uses 256MB ram and a separate pool of faster 256MB ram, it's very limited ram wise, using 1024MB ram is a very noticeable increase, especially considering that the bandwidth should also increase, allowing less need for a buffer (larger ram) and Wii U likely is using at least this for games, in fact it could be using over 1536MB of ram while holding to 720p or 1080p resolutions, just as the PS3/360 have been doing for the last 7 years.

The 2 PS3 RAM pools are about the same speed.

Higher bandwidth will not make up for RAM!
A UMA memory system means the CPU and GPU share the same RAM pool.

PCs however mostly limit their system memory usage to 2GBs (likely in order to not bog down the system)

Just stop.

The programs just don't have the large address aware flag set (mostly due to them not needing to use it).

It does not bog down anything!

AAA budget games made the port easy between PCs and 360, even though the 360 has 1/4th that amount of ram (without even touching the PC's GPU video memory that has in large part been at least 1GB ram for the last 5 years) So where exactly is the worry with Wii U? anyone who truly understands these numbers can see that at 720p, even 1GB shouldn't hinder a game unless it's poorly coded.

When the next Xbox and PlayStation comes out games will not be limited to what the 360 and PS3 have.

Next gen games should be able to surpass 1GB of memory usage without a problem.

Stewox

Banned
Right now I've accepted that Wii U will be on par with PS3/360 tech wise. Maybe it's marginally stronger, I don't really give a shit. It's not worth the headache to talk/argue about it.

I just want games.

Not to be disrespectful, but I can gather that posts like these are way more annoying than a constructive tech debate.

It's actually those who don't know tech that for some reason want to participate with the debate, then they end up confused by mixing up different info from different sources as well as general inexperience with the subject, that produce this animosity toward tech talk. They get frustrated from the confusion to the point it is "too much" to handle. The defense system has no other solution which results in discrediting the whole situation as a way to relieve the frustrations.

I do respect those who don't understand but are willing to learn.

What do you think how i feel when there is no tech talk ... for 50 pages when the nintendo space hype train was on the loose (i have great sense of humor so that was funny) among other occasions, i didn't whine about it.

What do you think how I feel when there's nothing but release date/price, I simply stay away from it, for my own good.

Stewox

Banned
When it launches? I think you mean a year or two after launch, as I don't think anybody is suggesting that the launch lineup demonstrates how awesome the hardware is.

He's pointing to physical HW inspection as well as developer interviews. That will give us much more detailed info from which we can calculate equivalents and hopefully as accurate estimations.

Remember that modern features would likely increase the capability factor considerably, this is what only top games will be able to do and developers talking about it, it cannot be as obvious from looking at graphics, no average gamer has that experience or will to go that deep to identify and compare how good a game uses the CPU, look what happend to Rage, the tech behind it is revolutionary, the game is practically bugless, the driver issue was and is out of developer control, every single guy who blamed id software is disqualified, they didn't deserved it, AMD did.

Given that he didn't honor his bet when it came to WiiU is on par with PS360 claim, what makes you think he would do another bet or stay to it?

That had an out since "on par" is an extremely vague term. It could mean exceeding by a fair bit, since the definition can be left entirely to him.

A game being, content-wise, the same on Wii U as other systems should not be difficult to judge.

He's pointing to physical HW inspection as well as developer interviews. That will give us much more detailed info from which we can calculate equivalents and hopefully as accurate estimations.

It will help, but there will still be a massive element of guesswork as there will be so much custom stuff in there. No matter what is found in there, people will still be saying the hardware is garbage/has immeasurable untapped power, and it'll still be very hard to prove them wrong.

A game being, content-wise, the same on Wii U as other systems should not be difficult to judge.

Surely every game on the Wii U will, by definition, have extra content simply because of the stuff happening on the extra screen.

Plus, it's a pretty long-term bet for him don't you think? This generation will probably last somewhere close to ten years, and he won't be able to claim victory until the very last Wii U game is released!

It will help, but there will still be a massive element of guesswork as there will be so much custom stuff in there. No matter what is found in there, people will still be saying the hardware is garbage/has immeasurable untapped power, and it'll still be very hard to prove them wrong.

Surely every game on the Wii U will, by definition, have extra content simply because of the stuff happening on the extra screen.

Plus, it's a pretty long-term bet for him don't you think? This generation will probably last somewhere close to ten years, and he won't be able to claim victory until the very last Wii U game is released!

Not for Nintendo.

Terrell

My favourite part of the tech talk is when people say "but if it doesn't match PS4 or Durango, no multi-plats!" As if that means something.

I have a rude awakening for some of you: the age of the near-feature-perfect multi-plat is over as quickly as it began. Microsoft and Sony are going to try VERY hard to differentiate themselves hardware-wise so as to remove multi-platting from the equation in the hopes of obtaining an advantage over the other and squeezing out a competitor. So the likelihood of the exclusive by necessity is very likely to return. 3rd-parties will want the 2 of them to collude with each other on a baseline specification, but seriously, who are they trying to kid? The only way that multi-platting will happen is if developers make games to the lowest common denominator between them, which many on GAF and in the enthusiast gamer circles certainly will refuse to stand for (read: BUT I WANT TEH BEST GRAFIX, FUCK YOU 3RD-PARTIES!!!11!!1!!)

So in that context, WiiU can be whatever it wants to be, as it's not really going to make the difference that everyone thinks it will, while the other two try and squeeze each other out of the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom