• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console Lineup

Hobbun

Am i reading this wrong or is Earthbound coming to the NA VC? And if so, why hasn't the internet exploded yet?

Where have you been?

Good to see Earthbound finally, but for a system I don't have. *grumble* I'm sure I'll purchase the WiiU eventually, but Earthbound won't be the deciding factor.

I just downloaded Kirby's Adventure and there's an ugly white border on the left hand side of the screen. What the fuck? Even the Wii version wasn't this badly emulated.

prag16

Banned
A handful of NES and SNES games... sigh Nintendo. SIGH!

Heh. GBA and N64 "in the future".

If they ever bring GCN games, I bet they'll charge something obscene like $25. Oh well. The $0.30 games are good, and I have some on Wii that I may upgrade (bought with club nintendo coins; no WAY I'd spend $10 on N64 VC games that I already own physical copies of).

DoubleTap

I'm hoping they'll announce something with the next update. I can honestly wait because I'm happy with the Wii VC games that I already have. Off TV play is no biggie for me.

A megaton for me would be Dreamcast support.. One can dream.

Chrom

@OP: The Fire Emblem game to be released on Wii U Virtual Console is Seisen no Keifu, which is for Super Famicom (SNES), not NES.

prag16

Banned
Super Mario World. Day 1. I should get the discount since I already own it for Wii VC, no?

Have they detailed how this process will work yet? I think they said you have to have the game on the Wii mode of your Wii U in order for it to be upgradeable. Seeing as the Wii mode is pretty walled off from the Wii U, I'd be curious to hear how it'll work. Hopefully it's not some insane 30 step process.

Somnid

Have they detailed how this process will work yet? I think they said you have to have the game on the Wii mode of your Wii U in order for it to be upgradeable. Seeing as the Wii mode is pretty walled off from the Wii U, I'd be curious to hear how it'll work. Hopefully it's not some insane 30 step process.

I imagine the Shop app just detects you own it and gives you the discount.

Zee-Row

Banned
Does this mean I have to wait years until the Wii's original VC catalog is on the Wii U? Why can't Nintendo just put all their games out at the same time?

Raptomex

I guess luckily for me I transferred everything from my Wii to Wii U so I'm all set. I guess we'll see when it's time for the upgrade.

Sendou

Does this mean I have to wait years until the Wii's original VC catalog is on the Wii U? Why can't Nintendo just put all their games out at the same time?

This way they can maximize their profit. If they would put all of their lineup on the eShop at the same time most people would just buy only the best games. That would leave most of the games with insignificant sales. Not to mention that it actually takes some effort to port VC games to Wii U.

Megatron

This way they can maximize their profit. If they would put all of their lineup on the eShop at the same time most people would just buy only the best games. That would leave most of the games with insignificant sales. Not to mention that it actually takes some effort to port VC games to Wii U.

And constantly updating it keeps it fresh in people's minds, generates online word of mouth, etc.

Are those all of the titles that are coming to the Virtual Console launch? I thought they would have more (or most of) the NES. SNES lineup. Where's the GBA games?

Was it just me or did Iwata mention something about N64 games returning back to the VC?

edit: double post, didn't realize I was posting in the same topic ugh

Chrom

Does anyone know what's up with the white border on the Kirby's Adventure download? I don't recall the Wii VC release having this...

That's how the game originally was. I don't have it on Wii VC, but on Kirby's Dream Collection for Wii, the game is like this as well, I believe.

Mileena

Banned
All the while shitting on their customers!

steveovig

I can't imagine some of the lesser known titles on the VC have sold a ton anyways. How many people are really going to buy Nam 1975? Games like that would've had a better chance coming out on the U. Does anyone know if VC games have the minimum sales policy like WiiWare games do?

Javier

I can't imagine some of the lesser known titles on the VC have sold a ton anyways. How many people are really going to buy Nam 1975? Games like that would've had a better chance coming out on the U. Does anyone know if VC games have the minimum sales policy like WiiWare games do?
Dunno if on Wii VC, but I remember them saying they took that restriction out from Wii U digital releases, which I presume includes VC.

NotLiquid

Super Mario World never gets old to me so I'll be with it right on launch. I love Super Metroid but I'll probably abstain from it until it's month rolls around during the Famicom promotion, assuming it's out before then.

My heart is kind of saddened that I won't be able to appreciate the Donkey Kong Country series with Off-TV play though. Come on Nintendo, get your balls together and re-release the games again along with DK64 so I can appreciate the pinnacle joys of my childhood from the comfort of my bed.

Javier

Super Mario World never gets old to me so I'll be with it right on launch. I love Super Metroid but I'll probably abstain from it until it's month rolls around during the Famicom promotion, assuming it's out before then.
I think it's safe to say the 30-cent games won't be out until it's their turn in the promotion, likely to avoid people buying them full-price by accident.

Davey Cakes

It's too bad they couldn't have NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 from the beginning, but you have to start somewhere.

I do fear the "trickling" strategy as well. Nintendo needs to pick up the pace a bit with this VC, since it's really just replacing its predecessor. Hopefully we get at least two games a week or more, but I'm not holding my breath.

They really need to make the Wii U VC attractive before the end of the year. Obviously titles like Earthbound are wonderful. But, I'm thinking that high-profile series should, this time, get more immediate release schedules. Get all the Mario, Kirby, Metroid, Zelda, Mega Man, Sonic, and Castlevania games out sooner rather than later.

Part of this is wishful thinking for my own benefit, but I honestly believe that it's pivotal to make the Wii U VC exceptionally strong by year's end.

They stated many times that you have to move transfer your Wii content to Wii U first. After that, I'd think the eShop just knows and gives you the appropriate price.

Guess I'll know next week.

DigitalOp

Banned
Honestly.. Screw the Virtual Console.

Amazing Idea. But Nintendo treats it like shit so I just don't care anymore.

I'd be a billionare if I was in charge of VC releases

hatchx

Banned
I just don't understand how the Wii launched with a stronger VC lineup, and the Wii U launches it's VC 6 months later with a pitiful lineup.

They should really just open the floodgates on these old titles. Should be 2 titles a day or 10 a week.

DeVeAn

Here is the thing Nintendo, I already own these on Wii and other consoles. This slow release of limited systems and their roms ain't cool. Please just release all the damn games and just continue where you left off on Wii.

In addition why the fuck can't I carry games over like castlevania, etc. through Wii U and 3DS? It's still the eShop. If I want this option I have to buy it twice? So fucking terrible. Nintendo fans most likely own the handheld and the home console. We need an account system badly.

steveovig

Here is the thing Nintendo, I already own these on Wii and other consoles. This slow release of limited systems and their roms ain't cool. Please just release all the damn games and just continue where you left off on Wii.

In addition why the fuck can't I carry games over like castlevania, etc. through Wii U and 3DS? It's still the eShop. If I want this option I have to buy it twice? So fucking terrible. Nintendo fans most likely own the handheld and the home console. We need an account system badly.

As has been said, it's not quite that easy. They've gotta add Miiverse support and little tiny features like save states, menus, etc. plus they have to get them to run on the U.

DeVeAn

As has been said, it's not quite that easy. They've gotta add Miiverse support and little tiny features like save states, menus, etc. plus they have to get them to run on the U.
I am find paying the discount price and the features are nice. The way they seem to want to release these games though is shit. The last couple years on Wii was damn near barren.

The universal roms between Wii U and 3DS is really what irks me the most. But, screw it ill take me on home console anyway.

steveovig

I am find paying the discount price and the features are nice. The way they seem to want to release these games though is shit. The last couple years on Wii was damn near barren.

The universal roms between Wii U and 3DS is really what irks me the most. But, screw it ill take me on home console anyway.

I do agree that the trickle is terrible but to expect every game at once is crazy. I'd be happy with 10 a month or something.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's actually kind of sad that Nintendo chose to release a "trailer" for each of these Virtual Console games.

There are millions of people out there who were born years after these classic games were released.

Top Bottom