• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U's Miiverse - A Guide for Dummies

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So I figured given the recent thread policy changes it would be worthwhile having an informative thread about one of the Wii U's arguably most important firmware features: The Miiverse.

miiverseinlineohss6.jpg

• What is Miiverse?

Miiverse is the Wii U's front end, back end, middle end, and whatever end to social networking. Unlike Nintendo's scattered services and features of both the Wii and 3DS, the Miiverse aims to integrate features all together into one software platform, and for that platform to be rooted directly into the operating system. Miiverse isn't just software, it's part of the Wii U experience.

• What does the Miiverse look like?

When you boot up the Wii U and bare witness to the Miiverse, this is what you'll see.

miiverse0607-610nos42.jpeg

It is a platform for both your games and Mii social networking. See all those game icons? Those are your games, and maybe even your friends games. All those Miis? Those are friends, family, and other online Wii U owners. Miis automatically congregate around popular games being played by their associated users.

This image will appear on your TV. On the GamePad you will have control over a more traditional channel/icon based menu system for your games and applications. You can, however, swap the TV and controller images around.

• Why are messages popping up on the Miiverse hub?

Miiverse operates not unlike a message board. Users are able to write and draw messages associated with games, and have them appear on the Miiverse hub next to relevant titles. And there's more.

• More? I am aroused by the prospect of additional information. Please keep me informed.

Sure! See this image for example.

miiverseggsrl.jpg

Rather than adhere to simply Miiverse pop-ups, players can interact with Miiverse messages in the form of a text based conversation. Using the touch pad you will be able to answer questions, share information, and draw pictures to be sent to other Miis.

Via the Miiverse menu, you will also be able to directly message and communicate with specific friends, not unlike the 3DS Swapnote application (though without it being a separate application).

• Am I limited to just typing and sharing messages?

No. Miiverse will support sharing of all kinds of information. This includes game screenshots and additional game data. Nintendo has not specified if screenshot tools are integrated into the Miiverse software, or will need to be implemented by developers. Game data will depend on the games. For example, in Scribblenauts Unlimited the Miiverse will be used to share user-made item creations.

tumblr_m52i2umzGi1qzpbds.jpg

Note the screenshot and spoiler tags.

• What about video chat?

Yep! Miiverse will support some form of video chat, no doubt using the digital camera built into the Wii U GamePad. Details on how exactly Miiverse video chat will work have yet to be revealed.

• My friend told me Nintendo has restrictions on Miiverse that mean I'll need to wait a long time before my messages appear. Is this true?

Yes and no. Mostly no. There was a miscommunication that Nintendo would be going over every single Miiverse message before they would appear in the Miiverse, like an approval process. This is not true. Miiverse messages will be set to automatically appear. However, Nintendo will be using various filters to detect inappropriate language and content. If tagged, a message will require approval before appearing publicly on the Miiverse.

• Is Miiverse limited as the application, or can it be integrated into games?

Going beyond the Scribblenauts Unlimited example, developers are free to integrate the Miiverse base message system into games as well. Nintendo is doing this with New Super Mario Bros. U.

2226116-wii_u_mario_c6lac5.png

Messages typed be friends specific to this game will appear on NSMBU world map, even next to specific stages and locations if necessary. This will allow gamers to share tips, secrets and data in game via the single Miiverse platform.

• What about other Nintendo platforms?

Nintendo has stated they have plans to bring the Miiverse, in some capacity, to the Nintendo 3DS. And that the Wii U will connect with the 3DS to some extent. More to come.

• I want to know more!

You and me both. Nintendo still has much to teach us about Miiverse, but as it stands this is what we know.

The main point to remember is that unlike the Wii, and unlike the 3DS, the various connecting, social networking, messaging, and data sharing components of Miiverse are integrated directly into the operating system. This is not a separate application, and this is not a bunch of different applications. Miiverse is one big application suite and part of the operating system itself, connecting you to the system, and connecting to your games.

nintendo_wii_u_miiverdblog.jpg

It's also worth noting that Nintendo would like Miiverse to expand beyond the Wii U, even to non-Nintendo platforms. In the future you may be able to browse and interact with the Miiverse from your mobile phone, connecting to your friends even while away from your Wii U.

• Can I see a video of Miiverse in action?

You sure can. Watch this demonstration from Nintendo Direct.

games34zvq.jpg

• New Super Mario Bros. U: Data feed similar to the Miiverse hub, sharing stage specific comments/tips by other users on the world map.
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited: Sharing of user created items.
  • ZombiU: "PlayerX has been infected and appears in Y" in-game messages related to Miiverse friends who, in their game, have been infected and zombified, now appearing in your game world.

Wow, great opening post.

I'm looking forward to seeing Miiverse implementation in ZombiU and Darksiders 2. The feature will be amazing in games like those where there are so many secrets and side areas to explore.

I've stayed quiet over the other threads but having this thread (with a good OP btw) is a really good idea. Especially with the murmurings over the Miiverse going on for a while now.

Hopefully we get to see the 'revised' version soon enough as I've no doubt the Miiverse has changed over time.

For new thread:

D-E-F- said:
Miiverse ...any wet-dream scenarios yet?

Leaving hint messages around the map in the next Metroid & Zelda game, scanning them to reveal locations of items? Drop a ! to let your friends know where that heart piece or energy tank is.

Metroid: Samus goes to her ship or checks her suit-computer-thing-whatever-it-is to call up an in-game "network" that works like the activity feed or something.

Loot in Zelda (see Skyward Sword): found some rare Goddess Plumes and don't need 'em right now? send them to your friend via the game's mailbox! (finally some use for those things other than receiving scripted items)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Under the new policy, ideally this is the kind of thread we would see a lot more of.

If there are other Wii U features or games you're interested in, feel free to make a similar (high effort) thread about it.

Also, if you run into a small piece of news that you can't find a home for, but really strongly feel it's not worth putting into a thread, PM a mod and they can help recommend a thread to you or encourage you that it is actually in fact thread worthy.

Don't worry about erroring on the side of having too many threads. It's actually preferable to have too many and then consolidate than too few.

Ridley327

Wow, great opening post.

I'm looking forward to seeing Miiverse implementation in ZombiU and Darksiders 2. The feature will be a ing in games like those where there are so many secrets and side areas to explore.

IIRC, ZombiU does its own in-game hint system already that involves using graffiti to mark areas appropriately, so it's a lot more anonymous and less-hand-hold-y like the Souls games.

Under the new policy, ideally this is the kind of thread we would see a lot more of.

If there are other Wii U features or games you're interested in, feel free to make a similar (high effort) thread about it.

Also, if you run into a small piece of news that you can't find a home for, but really strongly feel it's not worth putting into a thread, PM a mod and they can help recommend a thread to you or encourage you that it is actually in fact thread worthy.

Don't worry about erroring on the side of having too many threads. It's actually preferable to have too many and then consolidate than too few.

Just curious, will the moderation staff be creating a new "pinned" thread explaining the new policy and allowing user responses?

IIRC, ZombiU does its own in-game hint system already that involves using graffiti to mark areas appropriately, so it's a lot more anonymous and less-hand-hold-y like the Souls games.

What I liked is the devs evil idea of setting traps for your friends :D
Plus remember ZombiU will also allow your friends to attack you.

Miiverse is sound like a quickstep version of Spotpass to me. Which I like the idea of a lot.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Actually, it's missing the video chat feature, but we don't know much about it (need to be friend or not, etc).

Thank you. Forgot about that one. Added.

Just curious, will the moderation staff be creating a new "pinned" thread explaining the new policy and allowing user responses?

I'm also curious about these new policies as well.

There's going to be a ton of more Wii U media on the way, so it'd be nice to know where such topics can be directed to.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Since the policy is still being ironed out, not in the immediate future.

However, we are collecting all the feedback you would like to give by PM and are collecting it in a giant pool something behind the scenes.

It would be best to send the PMs to myself, EatChildren, or Kagari, though given the volume, you probably won't get an individual response. They are being read though.

I'm also curious about these new policies as well.

There's going to be a ton of more Wii U media on the way, so it'd be nice to know where such topics can be directed to.
Err on the side of new thread unless there's an obvious one (like if a new Mario Wii U trailer thread goes up, putting the screenshots in there probably makes sense).

EviLore himself has said that if at launch we end up with a huge portion of the front page being new Wii U threads, that's actually desirable because console launches are a major deal and the front page would ideally reflect whatever is most pertinent at a given time.

Conor 419

Banned
Easily one of the most exciting features within this system.

Btw, I remember mock images of how Miiverse would look in a more realistic world. They were hilarious, has anyone got them?

Since the policy is still being ironed out, not in the immediate future.

However, we are collecting all the feedback you would like to give by PM and are collecting it in a giant pool something behind the scenes.

It would be best to send the PMs to myself, EatChildren, or Kagari, though given the volume, you probably won't get an individual response. They are being read though.

Err on the side of new thread unless there's an obvious one (like if a new Mario Wii U trailer thread goes up, putting the screenshots in there probably makes sense).

Thanks, I'll be sure to send a PM when I have time compose my thoughts tonight.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Oddly enough Miiverse is a bit like what I had expected Nintendo to use miis for back on the Wii at the start. Kind of like the Mii plaza but threaded through everything including games.

I'm wondering if there actually is going to be any capability to prevent people from posting spoilers in a game they're playing by preventing players from seeing messages within that game hub, sent by players who are further along in the game's save file than they are.

Regardless, it is very good that we've seen multiple remarks related to multiple games about Miiverse having the capacity to function as a full global leaderboard and stat tracking / comparison system.

It would also be great if you could check for Miiverse messages and Miiverse leaderboard entries in a game you have played, without requiring that game be loaded and booted at the moment. Like if there's a central menu where you can look for messages / posts on every game you've ever played. This would solve what I long felt was a major limitation of the otherwise great leaderboard system on Xbox Live: the need to boot into games one at a time and check the leaderboards. It would have been good to boot the system, and look at the boards for every game you own in one place (including disc based games) THEN decide if you wanted to load a particular game to attack the leaderboards in it.

dkeane

Nintendo's site also says entertainment can show up on that first screen you see. I wonder if we'll see movies show up on opening weekend because people will be taking about them.

One thing I'm wondering is how the more game-less Miiverses will work, like the Nintendo Channel that was on Wii. Voting, message board like functionality on topic of the week, game of the month, shopping, etc

big_erk

Great OP, EC. This is what we need. More targeted threads that provide an easy to find home for the information we crave.

Conor 419

Banned
This looks better than Playstation Home.

Take that how you will.

If this works, and it's also in conjunction with all of the features you'd expect from a sane online service, then I think it'll be one of the best online systems out there, let's hope it does.

The_Lump

Banned
I like the idea of the games you see being games which are trending (on discussion or sales) or being promoted by Nintendo. Gives smaller/indie games a greater chance of being noticed and in theory, means the best games will rise to the top.

I think miiverse will prove to be a very efficient storefront.

NFreak

Ok, I can get behind these more focused threads if they're all like this. Great job EC.

We really need a new Nintendo Direct soon with more details about Miiverse as well as other online functionality as well as OS stuff. That can't be too far off right?

Glass Joe

This could be a great feature, or frustrating. One thing I just noticed in the screen grab of the "Shooter" (Zombi U) MiiVerse board is that there's a title underneath called "General Plaza." I wonder if that means each game has a general board, and other sub-boards that are level specific? That could help avoid spoilers if they open as the game progresses -- maybe similar in concept to how they mentioned breaking up scenes for NintendoTvii TV shows?

I'm mainly afraid of having to weed through endless drivel by children. If I'm stuck in Buckingham Palace in Zombi U and check MiiVerse, and all I see are posts about level 1 or general chit chat, that wouldn't be so hot. But a Buckingham Palace board while struggling in that level -- that might be of use.

But so far I'm envisioning MiiVerse as nothing more than the GameFAQs message board accessible in game. Hopefully it's more than that, with community content providers, polls, codes, histories, or other such insights. Maybe that's even how DLC will be promoted and routed. I wish Nintendo would just talk about it.

Miiverse has to have been having on going beta tests for months now to get ready for launch. I cannot believe we are not able to crack Nintendo's secrets these days.

Why can't we get any leaks? even from the web based section of it.

www.miiverse.com should have gone live by now

tumblr_m52i2umzGi1qzpbds.jpg

I am looking forward to the Miiverse very much. I wonder if it'll really be the first social network I spend any amount of time in.

The somewhat funny thing is that I'm a fairly private person online, so Nintendo's general attitude of "protecting the children" and not giving out too much private information actually draws me to the Miiverse, unlike something like Facebook or Google Plus.

Though of course, we don't know how weak or strong their privacy system is yet...

EatChildren

Cheers for that image Smiles. I'll use it in the OP as it shows the screenshot/spoiler icons.

And I'm going to be deleting/editing messages related to the recent change. This thread isn't for those. PM a mod.

zroid

Banned
This thread also does a good job of showing how these broken up threads might actually be beneficial for the community. I always had difficulty posting regularly in the Wii U megathreads because they moved too quickly and I never could follow exactly what anyone was talking about at a given time.

This one's about Miiverse. Simple.

The Vita thread folks aren't happy but I think they'll just have to deal with it. It's slightly annoying for those of us used to posting in the megathreads (myself included), but this way is far more inclusive, which is how it should be, IMO.

Ridley327

This could be a great feature, or frustrating. One thing I just noticed in the screen grab of the "Shooter" (Zombi U) MiiVerse board is that there's a title underneath called "General Plaza." I wonder if that means each game has a general board, and other sub-boards that are level specific? That could help avoid spoilers if they open as the game progresses -- maybe similar in concept to how they mentioned breaking up scenes for NintendoTvii TV shows?

I'm mainly afraid of having to weed through endless drivel by children. If I'm stuck in Buckingham Palace in Zombi U and check MiiVerse, and all I see are posts about level 1 or general chit chat, that wouldn't be so hot. But a Buckingham Palace board while struggling in that level -- that might be of use.

But so far I'm envisioning MiiVerse as nothing more than the GameFAQs message board accessible in game. Hopefully it's more than that, with community content providers, polls, codes, histories, or other such insights. Maybe that's even how DLC will be promoted and routed. I wish Nintendo would just talk about it.

IIRC, there's "levels" of exposure that you can set for your account when it comes to the Miiverse, so it would stand to reason that if you wanted to just hang around with fellow GAFfers on your friends list, you could do just that. I think they showed off that you could narrow it down as specific as being local to the accounts on your Wii U.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Honestly, first thing I noticed in the OP was some guy named Todd, which immediately made me think of this.

But Miiverse looks like it could be cool in it's own way, also seems like it could get old after a while. Really has the potential to be neutered in some ways too... But overall the idea sounds neat, I'll wait and see what it's like in practice.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
On the side I kinda suspect miiverse.com isn't going to go live until Nintendo rolls out signups for Nintendo Accounts and reserving the Nintendo Account username / handle.

Always thought that's the real reason why they've been so quiet on online specifics; hashing out exactly how to present the accounts, both in terms of features, and marketing (i.e. "kidsafe").

Given that they're planning on having Miiverse and thus, your Nintendo Account, accessible on web enabled devices like smartphones, they could be planning a full standalone site interface as well with user login.

AzaK

EviLore himself has said that if at launch we end up with a huge portion of the front page being new Wii U threads, that's actually desirable because console launches are a major deal and the front page would ideally reflect whatever is most pertinent at a given time.

Nice to know. A mega thread would just see everything unique lost in the quagmire.

Nintendo need a 40 minute Nintendo Direct for only Miiverse without an actor and comedy silliness
do it like they did Animal Crossing show those who developed it using ever feature of it show how a few launch games uses it. Show how it works with eShop/Nintendo TVii/Accomplishments

show how it works with video chat/voice chat all of these things need to be detailed out. That first video showed more of miiverse than people realize because of the lame actor stuff

Okay, I'll stay on topic from now on EC.

Top Bottom