• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wikipedia bans editors over GamerGate controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDSN

Banned
What is gamergate? Does anybody know of an up to date, simple explanation?
People that see themselves as outcasts feel that the thing they decided to define themselves as is being changed by the very society that turned them like that so they are reacting aggresively to this chance even tho things stay the same.

The response is mostly aimed at females.

depths20XX

Why is the article even on wikipedia in the first place? Seems like something that would be on encyclopedia dramatica.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
What's the endgame for GGers? To remove all women from games/industry except for scantily clad fighting game characters?

Einbroch

Banned
GamerGate is so damn confusing. It's such a mess that I can't even be bothered with it. Pro-GamerGate is pro-feminism? Equality? Women > Men? Men > Women? A bunch of whiny assholes? A bunch of sympathetic gamers?

I seriously can't keep up with it.

I don't really see a problem here Wikipedia articles are presented from a factual/informative sense they're not supposed to sound like they're written from a pro or con stance no matter the subject.

This Gamergate article is no different than one about the KKK or one about eugenics.

Dr.Acula

Banned
The weird politics behind becoming—and then maintaining status as—Wikipedia editor of note is fucking fascinating.

I once tried to correct a typographic error, but it was quickly reverted with no reason given, so I just gave up on trying to edit Wikipedia.

Polk

So that's why I get this stupid ad what wikipedia doesn't tell me about gamergate and link to GIA or something?

Ambition

GamerGate is so damn confusing. It's such a mess that I can't even be bothered with it. Pro-GamerGate is pro-feminism? Equality? Women > Men? Men > Women? A bunch of whiny assholes? A bunch of sympathetic gamers?

Yep, best not to mess with it.

Brakke

Banned
I'm curious how our mods feel about this, being themselves a crew what maintains an online anonymous community.

Effect

to be fair, the purpose of wikipedia is to present information impartially. if the anti-gg editors are slanting things too much, then they can't be trusted to edit the article. it's as simple as that.

This is what I was thinking as for why the editors were banned.

When you make edits don't you have to justify them as well? Especailly if it's challenged? Maybe the "pro side" was providing justification/argument for why they felt something should be added and kept. The other might not have been and just constantly removing the changes. The action to ban them might not even have to do with the content itself but simply how they conducted themselves and a ban from the broader topics might been done because its felt these editors might not be able to conduct themselves as required by the rules when it comes to this topic.

terrisus

When people say that Wikipedia is "great, as long as you check the sources!," this is part of the issue.

There is a ton of systematic bias and questionable decisions on that website with regards to what stays, what goes, what sources are allowed, and what sources are disallowed, among many other things.

Dr.Acula

Banned

I have no idea what it means to be pro- or anti- gamergate.

Editors at major gaming outlets gave favorable press to Zoe Quinn in exchange for sexual favors -true or false? If you say true, you believe there are no ethics in games journalism, and call the scandal "Gamergate." If you say false, you are correct.

Empty

having an opinion on whether this is good or bad would require me to wade into the nightmarish confluence of incomprehensible, endless wikipedia editing war politics and incomprehensible, endless gamergate politics, which is giving me the shakes just thinking about. imagine being trapped on a committee having to make a decision about it.

samn

From what I'm reading over on /r/gamerghazi, the vote to ban them hasn't actually passed yet, it's just under consideration.

I tried to check this out over on the Wikipedia pages but it's just so thick with bureaucracy I can't make any sense of what's happening.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
When people say that Wikipedia is "great, as long as you check the sources!," this is part of the issue.

There is a ton of systematic bias and questionable decisions on that website with regards to what stays, what goes, what sources are allowed, and what sources are disallowed, among many other things.

running a perfectly impartial encyclopedia of this size and scope is probably impossible.

Vaporak

A lot of people missing the point of Wikipedia in here. The anti-GG editors are self admittedly biased and admitted to changing the articles to reflect that. Wikipedia in general tries to stop that, regardless of what side you think is in the right or wrong. This isn't much different than say when wikipedia finds out that a politician is editing their own wikipedia page and banning the editor.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
that's not how wikipedia is suppose to work. it's just suppose to be facts.

take a look at the KKK page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan

it doesn't flat out say they're racist assholes anywhere, just what they did, objectively.

The problem was that the facts being posted by the throwaway GG accounts to the article were false, and the "feminist" editors kept correcting them.

This lead to Wikipedia banning all the editors.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
I always thought gaf hated the ethics in games journalism. So I guess that's not what it's about since gaf is strongly antigg.

Anyways can I hate on games journalism without giving a damn about who Zooey quinn is? It seems pretty awful, to be fair.

Daemul

This Gamergate thing is still going on? Oh for fuck sake.

If it were up to me I would just ban everyone involved at this point. Pro, anti GG or whatever, I don't care, just GTFO.

Wikipedia are doing the right thing here.

I literally got told that anti-GGers want to ban games like Bayonetta or DOA so...yes?

This is true...in the delusional world GG seems to think we live in. Yeah, I'm sure all of our entertainment is going to be stripped clean of sexism and sexualized women. Just look at what happened to....uh...

In any case Wikipedia banning anti-GG editors probably means that those editors were violating policy. Wikipedia is not supposed to take any side except the "take no sides" side and some of the people on both sides have been overzealous.

Anyways can I hate on games journalism without giving a damn about who Zooey quinn is? It seems pretty awful, to be fair.

This is what anti-GGers actually believe. It's especially sad because if you're trying to clean up games journalism, your Bastille should not be a fairly obscure small-team indie title like Depression Quest. Lord knows we've had enough broken-ass games from major publishers getting stellar reviews this past year to see where the real issues lie.

Kinsei

Banned

If it were up to me I would just ban everyone involved at this point. Pro, anti GG or whatever, I don't care, just GTFO.

Yeah! Let's punish te ones that have been driven out of their homes. That'll show them!!!

I was just thinking about if Gamergate was still going strong, and then I saw this blow up today. Why would anyone want to be involved in anything that's just an angry sausage party, though?

ICKE

Banned
I doubt this is even about scandal itself but just going against Wikipedia guidelines and trying to remove sensible discussion? Apparently this Ryu person has a bit of a history and has been sanctioned in the past?

iammeiam

This mindset right here is the worst.

This is a big part of why I bailed the fuck out of Wikipedia. There's a ton of this kind of shit going on there. A lot of the editors and administrators (not all, obviously) are a certain type of people, and are really amateurs when it comes to how to properly make an encyclopedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom