• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will developers properly support WiiU when the rest of the world moves to Xone/ps4?

Higher sales would help, but judging by the Wii it might not. Wii U owners shouldn't be expecting proper third party support at this point.

KiraXD

Heres a task: Convince someone who owns a PS3/360/PS4preorder and is not a casual gamer (not into casual games...)...is a hardcore gamer, if you will, why a Wii U is a good gaming decision. They enjoy exactly 2 nintendo franchises.. Zelda and Metroid...

okay... go.

(i really really want to get a Wii U... but at this very moment not a single game on the console interests me other than Wind Waker HD.)

Fox Mulder

Nintendo must not care about third party developers. When the Wii was a massive success, they only pushed their games and let the casual stuff flourish.

Now Wii U is out and Nintendo had no idea what audience was suppose to be on it. There's no core or casual.

It's hard to imagine what kind of support they're every going to get now. Banking on indies may not be a good idea or it's too late, because MS and Sony also want them too.

I don't think it's that they don't care. Nintendo just creates consoles around what they want to do with their games, and people have shown they buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games. It's up to third parties to decide if it's worth the investment to develop unique games for the platform and put the effort to build an audience for them.

Everyone thinks the wii got shitty support, but I can name off a stack of good third party wii games that just sold like shit because they got buried under Nintendo's titles. EA even released around 80 games on it in a variety of genres trying to gain traction.

Mileena

Banned
Heres a task: Convince someone who owns a PS3/360/PS4preorder and is not a casual gamer (not into casual games...)...is a hardcore gamer, if you will, why a Wii U is a good gaming decision. They enjoy exactly 2 nintendo franchises.. Zelda and Metroid...

okay... go.

(i really really want to get a Wii U... but at this very moment not a single game on the console interests me other than Wind Waker HD.)

you just described me and the answer is Monster Hunter

of course that means nothing at this point if Nintendo doesn't throw more money at Capcom to get MH4 on the system

jeffers

This Christmas is either the Rise from the Dead or the Last Hurrah regarding third party on Wii U.

I imagine itll play out like most sport games where you support the underdog. Seem good and put in the effort but ultimately lose D:

Hiltz

A. Lack of financial incentive
B. Technical incompatibility with (some) next-gen engines
C. Developers not wanting to compromise the quality of their next-gen titles by porting it down to a weaker platform (doesn't help if their not interested in GamePad)
D. Publisher perception that their game is not an ideal fit for the Nintendo audience
E. All of the above.

Nintendo's on its own once again. I think Ubisoft will end up reducing its software support next year when it looks at how poorly the rest of its games will sell this year on Wii U. We're kind of lucky to be getting that Child of Light title.

OryoN

Why would the sales of the next gen systems stalling cause them to go to Wii u? Independent of Xbone and ps4, Wii U is selling like garbage and even if they don't fly off the shelves, there is no way PS4 and Xbone will sell worse. Publishers could be supporting Wii u right now with ports of current gen games and most don't. If the next gen sales stall or aren't up to par, publishers will just stick with ps3 and 360 and continue to ignore the Wii U. They aren't going to look at the system moving 40K units a month a some sort of savior.

One reason you don't see them porting to Wii U currently is that on one hand, they have current consoles with huge installed bases, and on the other you have consoles where these publishers have already placed huge bets on concerning how well they'll do. In the middle is Wii U, with no real compelling reason to support it. That much we agree on. Current consoles' huge base is set in stone, but, those 'bets' publishers are making aren't. My comment approach the scenario from that perspective.

You mentioned that publishers aren't porting PS360 games to Wii U as is, and they could just stick to current-gen if next-gen sales were ever that bad. You see that as a reasonable scenario(stagnating the entire console industry), but mine - Wii U receiving more ports - is so hard to grasp? Though I initially chose not to go into all that detail, I'm actually looking at the more logical side of things. That is; if some publishers are already supporting Wii U(believe it or not), any significant boost from this holiday and onward could easily make it worth reconsidering. It doesn't even end there.

You with me still? Ok, now in the event that these newer consoles don't live up to sales expectations, that only adds a bit of equality to the equation, with less reason to push the notion that Wii U is the only (measurable) console doing so poorly, it doesn't deserve the support. Relatively small bases across all next-gen console is a bit more incentive to get port across more consoles to make the most out of what base exists. Like I said, it's not this way right now because devs are very hopeful that these consoles will be very successful. Their stance is understandable, I just simply have a feeling things won't go as smoothly as everyone envisions, especially once the initial launch hype has died down. We probably disagree there too, but I rather our discussion not get too drawn out over scenarios that don't exist and "what-if's", so last word is yours.

Hiltz

At least there will be Bayonetta 2! .........right?

And it's third party partnerships (like that game) and collaboration projects that will be Nintendo's way of compensating for Wii U's third party shortcomings and general lack of new IPs. It's the only thing they can do.

Nah nintendo's got to increase that install base

Maybe the next new zelda game will do it

But it'll never get anything close to 3rd party support the PS4 and XB1 will get

Even the Wii didn't have "proper" support, so don't count on that.

That was golden, thank you
And as others mentioned, it's only going to get much worse for Wii U from here on.
Maybe. That depends on several factors. If the Wii U sales significantly improves , for example, EA may give them some form of support.

kirby_fox

Banned
No. And let's be honest, it's not the install base that is causing this. It's not the power either. It's that third parties are done with Nintendo consoles, as they sell the least amount of games on there. At least, western third parties are for the most part done and will only do the minimum.

From what I can see, the N64 and GCN were Nintendo's last attempts at creating a market for third parties. The N64 focusing on Western development, and GCN going for Japanese focused. All the meanwhile, Sony and Microsoft are working on creating an atmosphere where third parties went to them to make their flow.

Look at initial Wii support from third parties and tell me that they didn't plan to abandon Nintendo after the GCN. The only reason the system got any kind of third party support was because it eventually got a huge install base. And then it was very different from other consoles, so it didn't get the ports of X, Y or Z because it couldn't run them. Had the console been both powerful AND revolutionary- Nintendo would've had a huge demographic built up again for third parties and the Wii U would see titles.

But we won't see that. 3rd parties are done with Nintendo systems, and until Nintendo in some way convinces that the demographics for Western titles- which is now the world focus- is there then don't expect great third party titles unless funded by Nintendo or from a Japanese company (if not both).

Kouriozan

Didn't know they are supporting the Wii U right now.
Only Ubisoft is and they're going to drop that support really soon.

KiraXD

you just described me and the answer is Monster Hunter

of course that means nothing at this point if Nintendo doesn't throw more money at Capcom to get MH4 on the system

ohh yeah i forgot bayonetta 2 and Monster Hunter... however... How much longer is MH staying only on a nintendo console.. isnt the PS3 getting one here soon?

Because the WiiU install base is too small to warrant heavy reengineering for small developers?

filament.gif

vespula_wasp.gif

It's not like flicking a switch. If the system isn't viable for publishers with limitless resources, why would it be big enough for indies?

Er... isn't this game coming to Wii U?

Compare GameCube's 109 releases to Wii U's 36 releases.

I'm wondering what this comparison would look like if we included eShop titles. Probably not much better though.

One reason you don't see them porting to Wii U currently is that on one hand, they have current consoles with huge installed bases, and on the other you have consoles where these publishers have already placed huge bets on concerning how well they'll do. In the middle is Wii U, with no real compelling reason to support it. That much we agree on. Current consoles' huge base is set in stone, but, those 'bets' publishers are making aren't. My comment approach the scenario from that perspective.

You mentioned that publishers aren't porting PS360 games to Wii U as is, and they could just stick to current-gen if next-gen sales were ever that bad. You see that as a reasonable scenario(stagnating the entire console industry), but mine - Wii U receiving more ports - is so hard to grasp? Though I initially chose not to go into all that detail, I'm actually looking at the more logical side of things. That is; if some publishers are already supporting Wii U(believe it or not), any significant boost from this holiday and onward could easily make it worth reconsidering. It doesn't even end there.

You with me still? Ok, now in the event that these newer consoles don't live up to sales expectations, that only adds a bit of equality to the equation, with less reason to push the notion that Wii U is the only (measurable) console doing so poorly, it doesn't deserve the support. Relatively small bases across all next-gen console is a bit more incentive to get port across more consoles to make the most out of what base exists. Like I said, it's not this way right now because devs are very hopeful that these consoles will be very successful. Their stance is understandable, I just simply have a feeling things won't go as smoothly as everyone envisions, especially once the initial launch hype has died down. We probably disagree there too, but I rather our discussion not get too drawn out over scenarios that don't exist and "what-if's", so last word is yours.

My only point is that I don't believe that disappointing XBone/PS4 numbers will benefit WIi U. To me, the scenario that nextgen numbers disappoint and Wii U numbers continue to disappoint is much more plausible than next gen numbers disappoint and Wii U starts selling like hot cakes. I think the reason WiiU is faltering is a problem to itself. The system just isn't very appealing. Two new systems coming out and not catching fire either isn't going to change that.

ShinMaruku

Nintendo's will. And that's all that matters. You may want those thrid parties but for Nintendo? They can make bank off their stuff which is better than the competition. (Only Sony's first party can hang with Nintendo's)

Wii-u doesn't even have a proper support now let alone the future, when the developers moves to next gen exclusively it's really when you mark the Wii-u third party support death. Me personally I don't see the Wii-u continuing any longer, this holiday season will decide if people want the Wii-u or not and it doesn't look too good to be honest.

Being funded and published by Nintendo. It's essentially a first party release or you could call it a third party collaboration. More partnerships like these will make the Wii U worthwhile.

Honestly, I would love this. I don't buy many multiplatform titles, so this would be awesome. Of course, having both to choose from is always better though, but that isn't likely to happen.

Tygamr

I think the answer is no. In addition to Wii U sales being low, the tech isn't as good as the Xbox One and PS4.

Nothing is certain though- we'll see what happens eventually.

Paz

A heavily work in progress version was playable in my lounge room 2 days ago, beat the first 3 levels :)

My stance is this: Despite a small install base there are clearly ravenous gamers waiting for good games on the Wii U, much like past Nintendo consoles your biggest hurdle is going to be delivering a Nintendo quality experience that this user base has come to expect, it remains to be seen if I can pull that off but I'm going to try. I wouldn't be surprised if a bright vibrant arcadey local co-op game like mine ends up matching well with the Wii U audience.

Major publishers haven't been able to understand Nintendo users for about about 15 years now so I'm not sure what they will do, testing the waters with sub-par ports that were 6 months late at the console launch seems like they set themselves up to fail...

I expect Wii U to be dead if they don't have a decent xmas.

Either way, Wii U is a first/2nd party system. Everyone should know this by now.

Sulik2

Developers have no reason to support a system with no install base. Unless the Wii U has a massive Christmas there is no reason for third-party's to support it.

Hiltz

If a third-party developer or publisher has come up with an idea of a potentially very unique use of the Wii U functionality with such a device, there is a high possibility that Nintendo will be a partner with that third party in an unprecedented manner (thereby reducing their development risk significantly).

Iwata has some plans in place.

Madness

Developers have no reason to support a system with no install base. Unless the Wii U has a massive Christmas there is no reason for third-party's to support it.

Wii U has more than just a low install base going against it. It's also quite inferior in terms of hardware.

So yes, as long as cross gen games are coming out, Wii U will get the ports (Assassin's Creed 4, Watch Dogs, Arkham Origins) etc.

But once ground up development is in the works for next gen and pc, Wii U will be left behind. Sure a really high install base will make it more lucrative, but it'll take a lot of time, resources and work to make games optimized to be run on next gen, work on the Wii U. They'd probably just say it's not worth trying to optimize like EA has said regarding its new Frostbite version which will power next gen Dragon Age, Mass Effect. Heck, Wii U isn't even getting Destiny which is a Xbox 360 developed game originally.

Dan Adelman is doing a good job getting some indie support, but don't expect much beyond that. I'll keep buying the pointer-controlled CoD games as long as they release them though.

Nintendo's developers might throw it a few sequels also.

Hello.

Banned
I'm a diehard Nintendo fan, I guess. But that does not mean I think the Wii U is a godsend to me. It definitely has many flaws and Nintendo is very bad (for lack of a better word) with trying to fix it.

But to answer the actual thread question: No, I don't think so.

Zornack

Can you please name one game thats coming out at launch on PS4 and Xbone at launch thats not coming on WiiU that would be coming if the WiiU was more powerful?

NO you cant

Well obviously. All the third party next gen titles are cross gen at the moment.

But what about next year when third party titles start being next gen only? The Division, The Witcher 3 and The Crew would all be on Wii U if it was more powerful. And then there are the slew of games coming to XB1/PS4/360/PS3/PC next year but not the Wii U like Destiny, The Evil Within, Dying Light and Mad Max.

It's a much, much better console than the Wii was.

The PS4 and Xbox One are to the Wii U what the PS3 and 360 where to the Wii.

Games built on next gen engines like The Crew or The Division won't be seeing the light on the Wii U, even games with current gen engines aren't being ported over.

Aren't Ubisoft re-looking their stance on the Wii U after this year's end? Do you really think AC4 and Watch Dogs will sell enough on it to warrant for their porting jobs? Even Arkham Origins is not the full experience.

Out of curiosity, how well did Rayman and Splinter Cell do on it?

pvpness

I've said this for years and will continue to do so. Most 3rd party devs/publishers will NEVER support Nintendo hardware like they do for everything else. The reasons don't even matter at this point, Nintendo is a special case in the video game industry and will never be apart of certain circles, regardless of what they do. Business-wise it can often be seen as crazy, irrational, and illogical but it is reality. Anyone who has been paying attention for the last twenty years will tell you the same.

Pudge

Isn't EA still making horrible sports games for the PS2? Surely they could port those over to the Wii U. Perhaps make the Gamepad screen display a giant middle finger during gameplay.

Top Bottom