• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will MS go for Sony's throat at E3 and undercut their PS4 MSRP ?

glaurung

Lowering the price is useless unless they get some more games out the door, post-haste.

Right now they might as well fall back onto a subscription based model and it would not make a lick of difference.

Alas, the war is already over. As a few posters noted before me.

Cueil

Banned
One thing that Microsoft has proved over the years is that they're generally very bad at competing on a level playing field. See: phones, tablets, music devices, search. Now that they don't have an insurmountable advantage over Sony (in price, power, first party studios or release date), where does this comeback come from, precisely? Don't say money. They can't justify pouring money down a sinkhole forever.

I'm not sure any of the things you listed would qualify as a level playing field... Google and Apple have kind of dominated those specific markets for a while, but I see where you are coming from. Also I don't think you understand that Xbox hasn't been a sink hole for a while and if you pay attention the entertainment aspect of Microsoft (even much of Windows) is starting to move it's stuff towards the Xbox brand. I think that they are slowly starting to pick up market share on phones (you can buy WP8 device as pay as you go now) and while tablets are still not going as well as they want you can't just let your competitors have the market.

geordiemp

One company is going to lose 1.1 billion dollars... the other company has more cash then the first company is worth... I'll let you figure it out. There will not be a 2:1 sale ration this generation no matter how many sony ponies get out of their stables. It's also not healthy for the industry.

Would you not enjoy yourself more at N4G or IGN forums. You can name call and talk rubbish all you want there.

I doubt you will last long around here, having opinions on products / services or companies is fine, but do not disrespect people or gamers on a forum..

Calling people who play sony platform as 'sony ponies' just shows you up and does not impress anyone reading your post.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My hope is that MS will KEEP yes KEEP the Kinect and show us how it can truly improve the gaming experience.

so far I have been VERY unimpressed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Xbox One more expensive to produce than PS4, even without the Kinect. If so that means PS4 can afford another price drop, but I guess MS can afford to take a loss unlike Sony

Yep, I think the last "official" numbers I happened to see on GAF showed Xbone being slightly more expensive to produce than PS4 even without Kinect...it wasnt much, like maybe $5-10...but there it is.

My hope is that MS will KEEP yes KEEP the Kinect and show us how it can truly improve the gaming experience.

As have most gamers with functioning retinas. Most of my disappointment is borne out of hope that something better can be made using the tech. But Im beginning to think serioous gameplay is beyond the capabilities of the device.

Would you not enjoy yourself more at N4G or IGN forums. You can name call and talk rubbish all you want there.

I doubt you will last long around here, having opinions on products / services or companies is fine, but do not disrespect people or gamers on a forum..

Calling people who play sony platform as 'sony ponies' just shows you up and does not impress anyone reading your post.

Sony ponies: those Sony fans that hates Xbone or MS or other console, in a irrational way, you know, the kind of person that say: "I dont want an xbox even if it is free"

Well I think this is the definition :|

stryke

I don't believe in the notion that it must be bundled so its existence can be justified.

Guitar Hero and Wii Balance Board shows you can sell peripherals with the right software.

I've missed out on the last day or so of this thread. Just to bring me back up to speed:

- Are all PS4 owners now getting a free pony?
- Will PS4 early adopters get at least a few free pony rides under the ambassador program?

OT: I was ex-360 day 1 PS4 (or I would have been but for amazon's vanishing delivery drivers). I think I'm very close to getting a One now. I don't really want Kinect but if they want to put it in the box so be it, and I think the price now post-drop seems about right for what I would be getting for my money. My only real concern is I don't want to have to maintain two online subscriptions so for me a reduced/bundled Live subscription could be the thing that sends me over the edge.

TomShoe

Banned
Cueil
Banned
(Today, 08:55 AM)

I assume it was the "Sony Ponies" remark that dropped the axe? There's no problem in defending a viewpoint, but when you start blatantly insulting others, I guess that's when the line gets crossed. Gotta be clever with them jabs, 'dont'cha know.

I've missed out on the last day or so of this thread. Just to bring me back up to speed:

I'll try:

No one knows, this is now a troll thread, wait for E3.

And why the 2:1 "ration" is not healthy for the industry?

Why is that flawed argument thrown so often?

And WTF is "sony ponies"??

original

Lemondish

It's unlikely and Sony isn't dead at the wheel. If MS does something drastic Sony will respond.

Sony will respond if they feel they need to.

I'd say this pseudo price drop is pretty drastic this early in the console's life, yet I don't think Sony even needs to worry about that yet.

I'm under the impression that Sony is off doing their own thing at this point and isn't consumed by what their closest competitor may or may not do. I think they're preoccupied with ensuring they can keep this momentum going into the fall.

Tayaya

I don't think I would call slashing the price of your under-selling console to make it more competitive with the current market leader "going for the throat."

I WOULD probably be interested in buying a $299 Kinect-less SKU, but would still buy multiplatform titles on the console that's proven to be the more powerful of the two (and finally has a real online community, unlike the PS3). I'd be buying an XBone for its exclusives, and little else.

wes-

Competition is good, it makes companies do crazy things and not sit on their asses cashing in all day. Wish it was already E3 time.

stryke

It's unlikely and Sony isn't dead at the wheel. If MS does something drastic Sony will respond.

My expectation is that the furthest Sony will go as a "reaction" would be to bundle something like Destiny at no extra cost.

Sony probably don't feel the need to go for an actual price cut for the rest of the year and well into the next. I'm sure Canada could use one though.

Microsoft needs to show non owners a reason to pick up an Xbox One. They need to release loads of games of triple A quality down to Indie, covering various genres, and new IPs.

Once this has been sorted a price cut would do very well.

Sony needs to keep showing us games. They have the price, but need to show more.

BigDug13

Until there are unsold PS4's sitting on store shelves, Sony's not going to do anything. It's that simple. To price drop a product that has no surplus in supply and is still unable to meet demand makes no sense.

SaucyJack

I don't think I would call slashing the price of your under-selling console to make it more competitive with the current market leader "going for the throat."

I WOULD probably be interested in buying a $299 Kinect-less SKU, but would still buy multiplatform titles on the console that's proven to be the more powerful of the two (and finally has a real online community, unlike the PS3). I'd be buying an XBone for its exclusives, and little else.

Agree.

Also, not convinced that MS will feel the need to resort to a Hail Mary pass less than 6 months into the console lifecycle.

CoG

but would still buy multiplatform titles on the console that's proven to be the more powerful of the two

I think this fact is brushed off as something everyday people don't care about but I think at this point that fact has permeated the mainstream. I saw a friend on FB who is by no means a hardcore gamer sell his Xbox One because it had "bad graphics". Just one anecdotal but the fact that games perform better on the PS4 is pretty much commonly accepted. I know it's the reason I bought all cross-platform games on the 360 last gen.

I want this pony sony! (Seriously my daughter is my lil pony mad).

Ms has taken a beating so far, they are stumbling around the ring dazed and confused, the only way back for them would be to moneyhat every single game that is going to be released, then while screaming 'all your game are belong to us' they may be able to catch Sony off guard and get in the killer blow to the throat, anything less and Sony will easily block the incoming blow, counter and then unleash precision attacks and machine gun punches to the head to finish them off (i've just been watching ip man, great film if you haven't seen it).

On a more serious note, i don't think there is anything they can do to 'go for the throat' and finish Sony off and the best they can hope for is that their sales don't collapse and they remain relevant.

McLovin

They can't make ps4s fast enough as it is. Even if they price matched or even surpassed it would be a long time before sony would have to react. All they have to do now is focus on their weakness(AAA exclusives) and knowing Sony they probably got us covered.

joecanada

I've never witnessed a piece of hardware actually go up in price when it had almost just come out. This is new to me, and I've lived in canada my whole life. I can't think of a reason, but do you guys in canada not see that the xone has more value since the ps4 went up 50 bucks?

wow this thread is still open? nice it's delivered I see....

OT - Yes i see how the xbox has increased in relative value since the ps4 went up to 449. However, the relative value is still somewhat off....

499 xbox with kinect and titanfall still does not equal my perceived value of xbox which is 349 without kinect, which I have little interest in. Bottom line, I still have to drop 499 plus tax on a system with kinect and xbl, which I also find little value in. Their willingness to drop the price and add features for free only justifies my opinion on this.

On the other hand I dropped my 449 like it was hot, because I have psplus, which I love, I had several games to upgrade for 9.99, and I am guaranteed a "more" future proof console (this may not pan out but so far seems likely) for less money up front. Since 80 percent of my purchases are multiplats, I am wanting the "future proof" console with better ports.
Also most of my smart friends preordered ps4 and are now laughing at me for the 449 price so I need to play with them anyway....

AlphaQuack

Neo Member
Microsoft must be looking at options of cutting the price of X1 if they want to compete on the markets outside of the US. Will they present a newer version of Xbox One which doesnt require the Kinect to function and thus being able to drop atleast $40-60?

At this point, I do wish that they'd drop the Kinect. I understood them not wanting to split the install base between Kinect owners and non-Kinect owners for developers, but they've yet to release or announce anything tantalizing that takes advantage of the tech. If they don't announce a price drop or a Kinect-free Xbone at E3, we'll probably see the opposite, i.e. Microsoft hyping up the Kinect and announcing a bunch of motion- and voice-controlled titles. Like we've seen, the Xbone sales have been solid, even if lower than the PS4's, so maybe they're confident that they can push this Kinect experiment a while longer to see if anything sticks. Considering it's only been five months, it does seem premature to pull the plug before even using E3 to really push new, Kinect-oriented software.

I read somewhere games for the one are actually turning the kinect off for more raw power,

wow this thread is still open? nice it's delivered I see....

OT - Yes i see how the xbox has increased in relative value since the ps4 went up to 449. However, the relative value is still somewhat off....

499 xbox with kinect and titanfall still does not equal my perceived value of xbox which is 349 without kinect, which I have little interest in. Bottom line, I still have to drop 499 plus tax on a system with kinect and xbl, which I also find little value in. Their willingness to drop the price and add features for free only justifies my opinion on this.

On the other hand I dropped my 449 like it was hot, because I have psplus, which I love, I had several games to upgrade for 9.99, and I am guaranteed a "more" future proof console (this may not pan out but so far seems likely) for less money up front. Since 80 percent of my purchases are multiplats, I am wanting the "future proof" console with better ports.
Also most of my smart friends preordered ps4 and are now laughing at me for the 449 price so I need to play with them anyway....

the ps4 will be supported longer but I heard the new current gen is going to be not as long as the ps3.xbox 360 wii gen. So playing with your friends was what made you really pick the ps4.. say if all your friends had the one would you have bought one?

joecanada

the ps4 will be supported longer but I heard the new current gen is going to be not as long as the ps3.xbox 360 wii gen. So playing with your friends was what made you really pick the ps4.. say if all your friends had the one would you have bought one?

It's unlikely that would happen but if all my friends had an xbox one I would probably have picked up that titanfall bundle , yes. But I would have waited for a price drop because I would never justify 499 for what it is...
499 + xbl + titanfall is an OK deal.... still I bet you wait for september and you will see a Halo 2 bundle for 449.... but even if this happened I would def pick up a ps4 later even to play on my own....

Top Bottom