• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Holographic Announced - beyond virtual worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'm sure some of it was "imagined" in the sizzle reel, based on the corroborating experience detailed in the Wired first-hand account writeup, I'd have to say that a good portion of what we are seeing in the promo is either working or in prototype phase.

Even during the demo we saw the panel show up on the wall with Skype and other apps ready to launch. Yeah, you can claim that the menu was just faked, but honestly, if they can already make a 3D interface in space, how hard would it be to project a 2D Skype display or a video display onto a flat surface?

Ri'Orius

There's that one AR project from the former Valve guys, and imo can google glasses also be counted as AR.

Google Glass wasn't AR, it was a headmounted camera and a tiny screen in the corner of your vision. Put your phone on an 18" stick and strap it to your head, and you've got a rough approximation of Google Glass.

Jackpot

Banned
I would be interested in this if it can replicate the view of a standard monitor, so to speak, so where your monitor used to be is a hologram of the game but with the same dimensions & POV of a good monitor and added depth and no enclosed frame around the screen.

Some more stuff rolling out now:

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/editors-letter-feb-2015

An hour later, Alex Kipman (who invented the Kinect for Xbox) helped me don a space-age-looking smoke-tinted visor a bit bigger than a pair of ski goggles. This was Project HoloLens. Kipman told me I was one of the first people who didn’t work for Microsoft to wear the device. It was a revelation. As my eyes resolved the images in front of me, I could still see the same room—except that now, in the middle distance between me and Kipman, a circular platform floated like a hologram from Admiral Ackbar’s war room​

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7867841/take-two-rockstar-hololens-gta-5

"The demo that I had was at Microsoft's headquarters in a room given over to this [technology], and you had an immersive headset on, and there are characters that appear to be real, and you're interacting with the characters and they're not real, and it's pretty extraordinary," said Zelnick.​

jmood88

I'd hate to live in the ultra-cynical world that some people in this thread live. You don't have to be naively optimistic but it is possible to be skeptical while still excited for the possibility of what can be done.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Augmented reality is innovative now? I think the word you're looking for is polished. They took something that has existed for decades and turned it into a well realized (presumably, if we trust them) consumer product.

So they really are trying to be more like Apple.

Volotaire

tumblr_miaq1nhrVs1qjbsm8o1_500.gif

I'd hate to live in the ultra-cynical world that some people in this thread live. You don't have to be naively optimistic but it is possible to be skeptical while still excited for the possibility of what can be done.
The haters will always arrive. Part and parcel of any thread like this.

So am I correct in assuming that this device can "project" an environment onto the world around you to simulate a non-corporeal holodeck? Not just put objects or floating screens into the world? That is the impression I got from that Mars demo.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm so fucking hyped for this, and for Oculus. They are 2 different experiences but each will bring something unique and hopefully mindblowing. Been waiting for this shit since I was kid, this is finally the year.

Still waiting for my flying car though.

So am I correct in assuming that this device can "project" an environment onto the world around you to to simulate a non-corporeal holodeck? Not just put objects into the world? That is the impression I got from that Mars demo.

I haven't read much of anything yet but it seems like the entire surface of the glass can be used to display stuff so it can be a single object or a while scene. That's what I got from it anyway, it still looks like part of your peripheral vision is unaffected so I don't think it can do full VR.

jmdajr

That's crazy talk! No room for moderate feelings here. You either stand/clap with the doubters, or believers!

So am I correct in assuming that this device can "project" an environment onto the world around you to simulate a non-corporeal holodeck? Not just put objects or floating screens into the world? That is the impression I got from that Mars demo.

Yup. I quoted some of Wired's article, but he talks about how his legs were shaking as he stepped onto the surface of "Mars".

hodgy100

don't you think its justified to be cynical when AR has been touted for a thing for years and it hasn't delivered. I also don't see how what Microsoft are proposing solves the problems with AR if anything they make my personal issues with it worse by requiring a massive obtrusive AR headset.

aaaaa0

Watch the stage demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCCXZ8ErVag

It looks like HoloLens is a head mounted display, combined with a Kinect for getting depth info about what is in front of you and for tracking your hands, and probably a pile of sensors for gaze and head tracking.

Oh, and it's all wireless.

I can totally see a LOT of uses for this. You can say previous attempts at AR exist, but that sounds like comparing a horse drawn carriage with a Tesla Model S...

jmood88

Nah I just remember the original Kinect pitch so excuse me if I don't take a Microsoft sales pitch completely devoid of any actual technical insight into what is basically magical technology as being real. A healthy dose of realist skepticism is par for the course when it comes to Microsoft presentations be it fir technology or software. They don't really have the best of track records when it comes to delivering on their initial promises/concepts.
The difference is, the original Kinect sizzle reel didn't include many things that the press could immediately corroborate during their hands-on sessions. There is stuff that may or may not come to fruition but a lot of the things talked about are things that people outside of Microsoft have been able to experience.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I can't fucking wait. AR is my -biggest- dream technology. More than anything else. I make what feels like half my threads and posts about it. Thank you based Gods, the future is now.

Also, AR will be as fundamental a change as the internet is and will be, as it will more significantly blur the lines between the digital and physical worlds than anything before it.

I can see the appeal. I'm curious about the applications they will find for this.

My mind is going through a ton of them, but since I work in video production, I would love to be able to:
  • Arrange virtual lights around a simulation of a room/set (of course, a life-size 3D model of the room and basic furniture geometry would be needed)
  • Stage AI actor-standins to test shot angles, framing, etc.
  • Use a virtual camera within this space to help determine which lens is most appropriate for the scene
  • Play with color schemes in real time. "That couch is too bright, let's see what it looks like in a darker shade" without actually having to get the material/fabric/paint/etc.

I hope the image projected stays on the spot where u booted it up
Lets say I'm watching netflix on this then looked down to grab popcorn the app should stay in that position by the wall not follow your head swivel

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I hope the image projected stays on the spot where u booted it up
Lets say I'm watching netflix on this then looked down to grab popcorn the app should stay in that position by the wall not follow your head swivel

You can see at one minute of this video of the stage demo that the interface picks a spot on the wall and stays there as she moves her head.

I'm not sure how or why you'd want to Skype with this. Wouldn't it be weird to be on the other side, talking to someone who is wearing a big headset?

Azih

Hah, I think Microsoft just bought Minecraft so they'd have a Hololens killer app. I think more than anything else if that just works similar to the sizzle reel they'll be able to convince people this is a good idea.

Cost though, 999 minimum.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
To highlight how revolutionary ubiquitous AR will be - and the fields it will touch, consider how -environmental- this will be.

Imagine if every display screen eventually become redundant. Every advertisement. Every billboard. The sheer amount of physical things great AR will replace is huge.

That doesn't even touch how it will fundamentally change how we -think-. How we teach, learn, communicate. Walk out into a forest with great AR and you'll never be lost or go hungry, or have to worry about eating something poisonous.

Get into a discussion with good AR and you can have constant fact checks running off to the side that all parties can see.

I can go on and on and on... it's just such a huge deal to me, and this is just the beginning.

Azih

To highlight how revolutionary ubiquitous AR will be - and the fields it will touch, consider how -environmental- this will be.

Imagine if every display screen eventually become redundant. Every advertisement. Every billboard. The sheer amount of physical things great AR will replace is huge.

That doesn't even touch how it will fundamentally change how we -think-. How we teach, learn, communicate. Walk out into a forest with great AR and you'll never be lost or go hungry, or have to worry about eating something poisonous.

Get into a discussion with good AR and you can have constant fact checks running off to the side that all parties can see.

I can go on and on and on... it's just such a huge deal to me, and this is just the beginning.

Maybe but everyone needs a headset whereas one screen can be seen by millions (when it comes to a billboard).

Everyone needing a headset is part of what killed 3D TV. Not saying the same will be true for AR but it's a barrier.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Maybe but everyone needs a headset whereas one screen can be seen by millions (when it comes to a billboard).

Everyone needing a headset is part of what killed 3D TV. Not saying the same will be true for AR but it's a barrier.

It would be like saying... everyone needs a smartphone. An AR headset would utterly replace a smartphone. I mean, again this is still not an established fact or anything, but the ambition of AR headset is to augment the human experience in almost it's entirety. In the same way a smartphone has - and in that same vein, we expect everyone to have them now. Everyone needing a headset for AR is not a requirement, but if anyone wants to experience things IN AR, they'll need one - and it will be again, back to the smartphone argument, hard to find people who don't want all that available to them at all times.

This headset doesn't do any of that obviously. This headset is basically at 3DS level AR.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
This headset doesn't do any of that obviously. This headset is basically at 3DS level AR.

This headset (or at least in it's product demos) has object recognition and eye tracking, and can read terabytes of sensor produced data at once. I don't want to sound insulted, because I have no part in this product - but if they can even get a digital to stay put on a wall, that is a monumental achievement and should not be downplayed.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Chittagong said:
Ah shit, MagicLeap must be really fucking pissed today!
The way they've been actively hiding information it's hard to tell - but I thought ML was suggestively hinting at google-free holograms - which is what made all the fairy-dust PR stuff so hard to take seriously so far.

Anyway I've seen full-room holograms in action (with basically the same type of tech) and I always felt it's a much easier mainstream sell than VR headsets, even though the latter can obviously emulate these types of experiences as well.

This headset (or at least in it's product demos) has object recognition and eye tracking, and can read terabytes of sensor produced data at once. I don't want to sound insulted, because I have no part in this product - but if they can even get a digital to stay put on a wall, that is a monumental achievement and should not be downplayed.

3DS does that with AR cards and tracks your movement with gyros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom