• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone doubles market share in Europe, 1% behind iOS in Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

I got a free upgrade from a HTC wildfire S to a 520 a couple months ago. Holy shit, its like going from SD to HD. The HTC was a pile of dogshit, lumia is amazing, and WP8 is fantastic.

Yeah most low end Android phones are dung, or they were last time I looked. It could well have all changed but I've not much idea what's out there at the sort of $100/£100 price point.

I've read that German consumers are very price sensitive when making purchases. I wonder if their recent success simply has to do with better prices than their competitors.

People keep bringing up price. It is not just price there are plenty of cheap Androids phone but it's price + performance that is what make 520 popular. It's cheap but it doesn't run like ass. Windows Phone 8 while still lack apps and some refinement, it is good for average people who use the phone to chat, and social media and browse the net.

While you guys want to attribute all the growth to just price and Nokia name, Windows Phone 8 OS has a lot to do with why it is popular.

kharma45

People keep bringing up price. It is not just price there are plenty of cheap Androids phone but it's price + performance that is what make 520 popular. It's cheap but it doesn't run like ass. Windows Phone 8 while still lack apps and some refinement, it is good for average people who use the phone to chat, and social media and browse the net.

While you guys want to attribute all the growth to just price and Nokia name, Windows Phone 8 OS has a lot to do with why it is popular.

Yeah it's got an unbeatable price to performance ratio. And for a lot of people WP8 covers most bases as you say.

Never get this Smartphone-hype. I absolutely HATE to charge these things almost every day...
Feature-phones for the win.

Still rocking my great Samsung Primo S5610 with almost 3 weeks of standby-time ;-)
Browsing and checking my mail are supported by my Vita. I have a phone to make phone-calls.

Great combo that Vita and Feature-phone...

266113773_640.jpg

Never get this Smartphone-hype. I absolutely HATE to charge these things almost every day...

Still rocking my great Samsung Primo S5610 with almost 3 weeks of standby-time ;-)
Browsing and checking my mail are supported by my Vita. I have a phone to make phone-calls.

How often do you charge your Vita?

this_guy

266113773_640.jpg

Most people would rather be able to check their email on their phone than have to carry a vita on them.

Krabardaf

Yeah most low end Android phones are dung, or they were last time I looked. It could well have all changed but I've not much idea what's out there at the sort of $100/£100 price point.

Samsungs around 100€ like Galaxy Mini 2 or Music are absolute crap. Minis are even locked to gingerbread. But Ace is the absolute worst offender, 179€, shittiest thing on the market. Shit screen, shit CPU, and 150mo of system memory.

And you wouldn't believe how many of theses I sold while working for a phone retail. Incredible. The 520 is miles better for anyone, even accounting the ( undeniable ) lack of apps.

Plus, to be honest, even The Xperia S i had was laggier than the 520. Also crashed far more often. I truly believe WP8 is better designed, much faster. I guess being less open source can pay off.

266113773_640.jpg

I make about 3 phone calls on my phone every two weeks...and I use an average of 3 different phones a day! (That does not count hyper-v'd instances)

kharma45

Samsungs around 100€ like Galaxy Mini 2 or Music are absolute crap. Minis are even locked to gingerbread. But Ace is the absolute worst offender, 179€, shittiest thing on the market. Shit screen, shit CPU, and 150mo of system memory.

And you wouldn't believe how many of theses I sold while working for a phone retail. Incredible. The 520 is miles better for anyone, even accounting the ( undeniable ) lack of apps.

Plus, to be honest, even The Xperia S i had was laggier than the 520. Also crashed far more often. I truly believe WP8 is better designed, much faster. I guess being less open source can pay off.

I had hoped they'd have improved the Android budget offerings at this stage but alas not.

kharma45

Hopefully that door stays open for the 520 and its successors long enough for WP to get above 15%.

For worldwide marketshare? I could see it happening in Europe easily enough but the lack of penetration in the US and China really hurts the platform.

Zzoram

For worldwide marketshare? I could see it happening in Europe easily enough but the lack of penetration in the US and China really hurts the platform.

Making the Lumia 525 have the same hardware as the Lumia 520 won't help. Windows Phone has a real opportunity to fill the huge midrange smartphone gap in the market. Android low and mid priced phones generally suck while the WP8 low end Lumia 520 was good. They need to further push for dominance in the $150-350 price range (off contract) where there isn't much good competition.

Mael

This is more the success of Nokia than Windows here, people like their Nokias when they were making BB like devices here.
It's going to be far more interesting when they remove all Nokia branding...
Heck HTC ain't making bank on their WP devices here that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom