• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusRJR

RIP Lumia 610. My brother pushed me in the car and my phone flew out the window onto a huge rock. The screen is shattered and it won't even turn on anymore.

*sigh*

Technology hates me. :(

Ironically my prior phone died a similar fate except on the high way. My brother really needs to fix the window on his car...

RIP Lumia 610. My brother pushed me in the car and my phone flew out the window onto a huge rock. The screen is shattered and it won't even turn on anymore.

*sigh*

Technology hates me. :(

Ironically my prior phone died a similar fate except on the high way. My brother really needs to fix the window on his car...

Phone insurance?

*wonders how could the phone fly out, loose hands?*

MarkusRJR

Phone insurance?

*wonders how could the phone fly out, loose hands?*
I was sleepy and texting and suddenly my brother shook me to wake me up. His passenger seat window doesn't go entirely up so he usually just leaves the window down when we're in the car (cause the wind makes a whistling noise if it's "up"). Now I'm stuck to using my blackberry that has a busted space key. It either doesn't work or adds a ton of extra spaces. Now I need a new phone. Preferably a durable one. :/

I was sleepy and texting and suddenly my brother shook me to wake me up. His passenger seat window doesn't go entirely up so he usually just leaves the window down when we're in the car (cause the wind makes a whistling noise if it's "up"). Now I'm stuck to using my blackberry that has a busted space key. It either doesn't work or adds a ton of extra spaces. Now I need a new phone. Preferably a durable one. :/

+ a proper case.

hwalker84

I don't think a case could've saved my phone. The screen was destroyed. But yeah, it wouldn't hurt.

I had just decided on not getting a new phone too and this happens. Hmph. Anything in the $300-450 range that's decent? The 8S seems alright apart from the 4gb of storage.
The 920 is $450 off contract.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Is it wrong that I still want an 8X even though I have a 920. If it wasn't for the low-light imaging I think I would have switched by now.

Heretic

Is it wrong that I still want an 8X even though I have a 920. If it wasn't for the low-light imaging I think I would have switched by now.

The 8x is sexy as hell and was the phone i was going to go with except for the camera and memory on the 920. Hell, I actually prefer the two colors of the 8s over both the 8x and 920

I wonder what are the chances of a first-generation handset still working and in the wild two more years later, when it's probably the world of WP9.

If only the 920 had AMOLED, with a proper matrix. Ahh. 820 has the same screen as the 900...

cube444

:lol, Lack of colour is bugging me. And I'm getting a bit paranoid about it getting warm and also battery issues, which I think are more or less fine now.

I get the 8X for $0, we trade phones. You take 8X and unlock it to Rogers. I take your 920 and unlock it to Bell. :lol

maeh2k

Looks like the German speech recognition is as horrible as ever. Just tried to dictate an email by reading from a newspaper article. Did not go well.

zedge

If I did it would have to be an exchange at Rogers. The feel and look of the phone is awesome. I know Zedge has both in his house, how do they compare?

The 8X is much lighter of course, it has a very different feel in hand too as its thinner with rounded sides. If looks very skinny/tall, reminds me of an iphone 5 that way. Big thing I noticed is music sounds quite a bit better on the 8X, Beats is often referred to as a gimmick but when its enabled wow.. In my car I have to crank my 920 to max volume to get a good output (using aux jack) the 8X can be about half with beats enabled. The screen on the 8x seems to be brighter on auto brightness. Colors are more vivid on the 8X too. Performance wise they seem pretty much the same.

Couple of pics (using my S3)
20121124_113545.jpg

I think I prefer the heft of the 920 though, it feels so solid and substantial, have missed this with my last few phones, (S1, S2, S3). Not that the 8X does not feel solid and well built, its just different. I really like all the exclusive Nokia stuff too especially maps and navigation. I was a bit disappointed that this is not on the 8X.

Haven't noticed any warmness on the phone yet, and my batter life is amazing so far. I still had 43% at 12:30 am when I went to bed, that's from 8am or so.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I guess another issue is 32GB over 16GB and that Nokia will undoubtedly support the device better. Wish I had both for different reasons, :lol

Just need to be happy with what I have.

cube444

I guess another issue is 32GB over 16GB and that Nokia will undoubtedly support the device better. Wish I had both for different reasons, :lol

Just need to be happy with what I have.

It depends on how much you use. I've had a 32 GB iPhone 3GS for 3 years and have only used 7GB of that.

I don't get the complains about gadgets that get warm. I had an iPad 3 (now 4) and everyone and their mother complained about the temperature.

It's warm, people. Not hot. Warm. Mildly even. It won't impact your usability or the life span of the product. Just like a CPU won't die in few months when it reaches 70C under load.

Oh yeah! I really like the speech recognition and predictive text in WP8, especially compared to iOS. WP8 can actually recognize my wife's name even though it's not English.

Tomcat

The 8X is much lighter of course, it has a very different feel in hand too as its thinner with rounded sides. If looks very skinny/tall, reminds me of an iphone 5 that way. Big thing I noticed is music sounds quite a bit better on the 8X, Beats is often referred to as a gimmick but when its enabled wow.. In my car I have to crank my 920 to max volume to get a good output (using aux jack) the 8X can be about half with beats enabled. The screen on the 8x seems to be brighter on auto brightness. Colors are more vivid on the 8X too. Performance wise they seem pretty much the same.

Couple of pics (using my S3)

I think I prefer the heft of the 920 though, it feels so solid and substantial, have missed this with my last few phones, (S1, S2, S3). Not that the 8X does not feel solid and well built, its just different. I really like all the exclusive Nokia stuff too especially maps and navigation. I was a bit disappointed that this is not on the 8X.

Haven't noticed any warmness on the phone yet, and my batter life is amazing so far. I still had 43% at 12:30 am when I went to bed, that's from 8am or so.

which one has the best viewing angles?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My brother got the 8X in blurple from AT&T and I spent this afternoon setting it up for him and playing around with it. Gorgeous device, and it definitely feels better in hand than the 920, and FEELS way thinner and lighter, even if the specs aren't that far off. I preferred the screen on the 920 though, especially in daylight. Everybody praised the screen on the 8X but to my eyes the Lumia looked better. Of course, camera is no contest either, plus the Lumia has way better apps. My brother asked me about panorama and cinemagraph, both are Nokia lenses he saw me using on my phone before he bought his, so I had to find him a panorama app and explain to him that cinemagraph is exclusive to Nokia. HTC apps suck, they have a flashlight, the time app, a picture editing app and some other crap, nothing like Nokia apps. They have no lenses app as far as I could tell, plus no turn by turn app either which he asked me about. I hope that stuff gets released on other manufacturers soon, I think we all assumed free turn by turn would be coming to all WP8 devices and I definitely told him it was coming to his phone, I hope I'm not wrong.

Overall, he was very happy with his new phone. He skipped out on the new iPhone so that's pretty remarkable considering how much of a lockdown Apple seems to have on its iPhone customers.

zatara

For the Facebook app or people app is there anyway to post a photo on someone's timeline? I can't find an option anywhere to do so.

frontieruk

For the Facebook app or people app is there anyway to post a photo on someone's timeline? I can't find an option anywhere to do so.

the App, go to the persons time line and you can click the camera icon along the bottom to take or add a photo to post

zatara

Coming from a GS3 I couldn't be happier with my 822 purchase. The extra bulk gives it a more quality feel than the GS3 did. The hit in resolution wasn't as bad as I thought it i would be, battery life is comparable as well. The only problem I have is the speaker on the 822, it flat out is terrible. Tinny as hell, and has an annoying crackle to it that randomly occurs when I get notifications, I've tried all the available ones on the phone and they all crackle and random times and it sounds like I have a blown speaker. Unfortunately it doesn't look like its just my phone because my brother bought a 822 the same time I did and his does the same.

I had a Focus when I was on At&t and was dying to get some WP love on Verizon so I couldn't be happier with my 822 for $450 it isn't a bad deal, just wish the damn speaker wasn't so crappy.

so after having the HTC 8X for about 5 days here are thing that i have noticed:

phone reboots whenever it wants
WP8 app in W8 is shitty for loading music
picture and video quality is amazing.
every one who ive show the phone off to say it "fancy"
the screen's glass is real cool, my finger just glides around so smooth
beats amp actually does something, makes my headphones sound premium
phone reboots whenever
California Blue is a solid color......
apps open pretty fast
in WP 7.x the music app constantly has the last played artist on the tile in wp8 after the music stops it goes back to the xbox music icon...is that right? if so that sucks. the other way made the screen more dynamic .. i want that back :(
phone reboots whenever
phone reboots whenever
phone reboots whenever

dLMN8R

On phone reboots - do you have the Facebook app installed? Are you using it to change your lock screen picture? Try uninstalling the app and see if you still notice reboots.

On phone reboots - do you have the Facebook app installed? Are you using it to change your lock screen picture? Try uninstalling the app and see if you still notice reboots.

app is installed but i do not have the lock screen feature on. i will uninstall the app and see if the problem continues. Yesterday out of nowhere it said no sim card found, looked at the sim slot and it looked completely pushed in, i restarted and it worked again.

I don't get the complains about gadgets that get warm. I had an iPad 3 (now 4) and everyone and their mother complained about the temperature.

It's warm, people. Not hot. Warm. Mildly even. It won't impact your usability or the life span of the product. Just like a CPU won't die in few months when it reaches 70C under load.

Bunch of pansies! My MSI gaming laptop practically act as portable heater when I play Diablo 3.

My second Lumia 920 is does not get as hot as the first one. (aside from the fact that it has the hot RED color). I am telling you guys red is where it's at. Also I have yet to see Yellow one in person.

so after having the HTC 8X for about 5 days here are thing that i have noticed:

phone reboots whenever it wants
WP8 app in W8 is shitty for loading music
picture and video quality is amazing.
every one who ive show the phone off to say it "fancy"
the screen's glass is real cool, my finger just glides around so smooth
beats amp actually does something, makes my headphones sound premium
phone reboots whenever
California Blue is a solid color......
apps open pretty fast
in WP 7.x the music app constantly has the last played artist on the tile in wp8 after the music stops it goes back to the xbox music icon...is that right? if so that sucks. the other way made the screen more dynamic .. i want that back :(
phone reboots whenever
phone reboots whenever
phone reboots whenever

Microsoft and HTC really need to come out and address this problem ... I haven't have the reboot problem with my Lumia so not sure if problem is mainly on the 8X. Having phone reboot constantly suck. I remember when having this happen with my Focus and the memory card debacle, I wonder if it has something to do with memory also for Windows Phone 8.

So, 8X or 920? I'm not big into photography, so the camera isn't a big deal.

Also, when are we getting 7.8? I've heard "days", "weeks", "Q1 2013"... I want it now! :p

So I love smartglass. I love using it to control Netflix, its much easier to sweep to a specific time or select a movie, or worry about "is the controller on". Its amazing.

EDIT:
Hey, I just checked in my Lumia and the MMS APN for Rogers isnt set up on my phone; Does anyone know what the settings are for it? or should I just call customer support for it?

frontieruk

Microsoft and HTC really need to come out and address this problem ... I haven't have the reboot problem with my Lumia so not sure if problem is mainly on the 8X. Having phone reboot constantly suck. I remember when having this happen with my Focus and the memory card debacle, I wonder if it has something to do with memory also for Windows Phone 8.

HTC, Microsoft and Nokia have all said they are investigating the reboots, though I have a feeling the hardware guys think its software related, Microsoft should have enough usage reports sent back to see a reboot pattern as people wont be turning their phones off a couple of times in a few minutes.

hwalker84

Facebook is installed but nothing set to change my lock screen. 1 reboot that I'm aware of.

PG2G

So, I had a 30 minute conversation with a stripper about Windows Phone 8 and Xbox Music last night. She was carrying a red Lumia 920. Mind is kind of blown

So, I had a 30 minute conversation with a stripper about Windows Phone 8 and Xbox Music last night. She was carrying a red Lumia 920. Mind is kind of blown
My mind is blown that you have a stripper and your topic of discussion is her red phone. Priority, Windows Phone fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom