• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows update removes features from Pro edition, disables Cortana off switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkham

anyone got a quick link to a guide for disabling all the things you should disable that you can still disable?

msv

This is getting to be too much. It was okay when it was a one-off thing disabling some telemetry and unwanted apps, but Microsoft is relentless. I absolutely hate all the amateur Linux UI's, but if this goes further south, I'm going to consider it.

QaaQer

So every-time W10 boots, millions are going to have an involuntary moment of aggravation and hostility.

Can anyone think of other products whose makers are so arrogant and secure in their positions, that they wouldn't care if a portion of their customers were being systematically conditioned to hate the brand with every use.

It would be like getting spit in the face with every new cup of Starbucks coffee, or having to stick a 9v battery to your tongue every-time you started your Subaru.

EmiPrime

Despite some of the stupid decisions MS have made it's still not a good reason to keep using Windows 7; it's 7 years old now and there have been many security improvements to Windows 10. Computers running ancient versions of Windows are a gift to cyber criminals.

jelly

So every-time W10 boots, millions are going to have an involuntary moment of aggravation and hostility.

Can anyone think of other products whose makers are so arrogant and secure in their positions, that they wouldn't care if a portion of their customers were being systematically conditioned to hate the brand with every use.

It would be like getting spit in the face with every new cup of Starbucks coffee, or having to stick a 9v battery to your tongue every-time you started your Subaru.

Its quite funny because part of Nadella's mission statement for his new Microsoft was getting people to love Microsoft products, want to use them and not just use them because they have to. LOL.

chadskin

Do I get this right, you can't disable the lockscreen once the Anniversary update is installed? Wow, what the fuck Microsoft.

Hope enough people give 'em hell for them to reconsider this.

Skinpop

Despite some of the stupid decisions MS have made it's still not a good reason to keep using Windows 7; it's 7 years old now and there have been many security improvements to Windows 10. Computers running ancient versions of Windows are a gift to cyber criminals.
It's a perfectly good reason for running win 7 and age is irrelevant for software.

sfried

It's a perfectly good reason for running win 7 and age is irrelevant for software.

For my money I'd rather keep it at Windows 8.1: It's as close to Windows 10 without being 10, it's actually pretty lean on the memory requirement,s is the most backwards compatible Windows OS, and no Aero shenanigans.

Dunno why I felt like posting this. I literally have no idea, except that I've been watching this show on a binge.

tumblr_mh900lELcn1qicr06o4_250.gif

watched this shit alone at 4am in the dark

never again

Welp, this makes me feel that staying with my legacy software and Windows 7 was the right choice. Pretty shitty move by Microsoft, but is anyone really surprised at this point?

The anniversary update isn't live yet, is it? If it is, can anyone tell me if the registry hacks still work for the windows consumer features? In version 1511 you can disable it by making a DWORD key named DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures set to 1 in HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent. If you aren't able to set this in the new update and have it take, it's going to be a fucking nightmare for business settings, because that was part of the puzzle I needed at my last job just to get windows to sysprep.

alba

Little is the new Big
Am I too late to do this? It's the 30th here and I'm still in the process of backing up my files so... :eek:

Pooya

Can I still block windows updates from gpedit? It just liked to come back up even in middle of playing online and totally screw me, I had zero problem with windows update in previous versions of windows but in 10, it can't tell if I'm using the connection or not and it takes my entire bandwidth too, if I could I'd entirely get rid of background intelligent service or whatever it's called but too bad you can't

big_z

Installed Windows 10 tonight, checked to see it registered the key and then rolled back to Windows 7.

Will wait and see how the anniversary update plays out then maybe do a clean install.

Is there a way to target the installation of updates for - not this shutdown - but another one?

This is the most ridiculous thing for me being new to W10 atm - I have a laptop, sometimes I really need it to actually shut down, not spend however long configuring an update before I can shove it in a bag and run.

LordRaptor

Basically every monopoly.

How do you feel about your phone provider? electricity provider? Cable provider?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Its quite funny because part of Nadella's mission statement for his new Microsoft was getting people to love Microsoft products, want to use them and not just use them because they have to. LOL.

You gotta get them over that hump so that they realize that their lives have been improved that much.

DMiz

Updated to Windows 10 on my 'work' desktop and I'm pretty happy with it. I chose not to upgrade on my gaming PC, because of all the upgrading woes and the stories of people losing their drivers and what not made me pretty convinced that I would be happy sticking with 7 on that machine.

Losing out on DX12 isn't enough to make me jump through the hoops to keep drivers and controllers working on a machine that I just want to turn on to play games with.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Updated to Windows 10 on my 'work' desktop and I'm pretty happy with it. I chose not to upgrade on my gaming PC, because of all the upgrading woes and the stories of people losing their drivers and what not made me pretty convinced that I would be happy sticking with 7 on that machine.

Losing out on DX12 isn't enough to make me jump through the hoops to keep drivers and controllers working on a machine that I just want to turn on to play games with.

There's some FUD. I had to update two drivers. Oh no.

Mirk

I swear if this update restores all the default shit I had to gut out after the upgrade (xbox, groove music, cortana etc.) I am going to be so pissed. Damnit!

Got a release preview tonight, and there are some nice changes. Icons on menus, etc. Still have the option to turn off ads on the lock screen. However, I checked to defer future updates and it doesn't work. Perhaps because in am Insider.

I was able to turn off suggested apps in the start menu.

Jedi2016

Got a release preview tonight, and there are some nice changes. Icons on menus, etc. Still have the option to turn off ads on the lock screen. However, I checked to defer future updates and it doesn't work. Perhaps because in am Insider.

I was able to turn off suggested apps in the start menu.
You running Pro?

FStop7

Banned
I assume there's a way to disable this in an enterprise since it would not be accepted in certain regulated environments.

Woorloog

Banned
Is there a way to target the installation of updates for - not this shutdown - but another one?

This is the most ridiculous thing for me being new to W10 atm - I have a laptop, sometimes I really need it to actually shut down, not spend however long configuring an update before I can shove it in a bag and run.

I just force shutdown with power button... Probably not the smartest thing to do but there doesn't seem to be an option so...
EDIT I mean, i don't even press shutdown via Windows. If the update's running, then shutting down forcefully is even less good idea.

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
I assume there's a way to disable this in an enterprise since it would not be accepted in certain regulated environments.

If you're using Enterprise yes. Obviously if you're in an enterprise and using pro then this would all apply.

Gallbaro

Banned
Fedora 24 on my brand new Thinkpad Yoga.

Edit: This is MS's new vision with the purchase of linkedin and our freelancer distopian future. Users own their accounts and sign on to organization for the duration of their contract. So pro is now no longer meant for enterprise with active directory but office 365 users.

petran79

Banned
I use a local account anyway and also Process Lasso. It can block the launching of any unwanted .exe file. Cortana is included on the list

wolf73

Sarcasm? Apple is just as bad, if not worse.

There is none of that shit in macOS. You can disable Siri, you're not getting third party apps pushed to your computer and you're not forced to upgrade. How is Apple just as bad in that regard?

Computers running ancient versions of Windows are a gift to cyber criminals.

The company responsible for the shitty new OS is the same one who decided to stop updating the old one for the benefit of those cyber criminals. Either way, it's not the user's fault. MS should either stop fucking around with Windows 10 or keep updating the old un-fucked-with OS.

You want MS to support 20 year old OSs? Dude, we need to all move on. MS already does a fantastic job supporting legacy software, probably the best in the business when it comes to legacy support, but we need to move on.

The company responsible for the shitty new OS is the same one who decided to stop updating the old one for the benefit of those cyber criminals. Either way, it's not the user's fault. MS should either stop fucking around with Windows 10 or keep updating the old un-fucked-with OS.

Eh. MS does a pretty decent job of updating security patches. Win 7 came out in 2009 and we get support till 2020.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Don't get me wrong OP, I'm totally outraged but I would like to point out OSs drop and add features on a regular bases. I would be the first at MS's gates with a pitchfork if they dropped an "on the box" feature I depended on. I want to stress the fact I'm outraged here for others who this effects but I was hoping you could clarify if some of these were features that were turned off after update but not removed? Like lock screen... that's would be so weird if it was removed? Is a changed a better word... I mean, like feature parity but different or maybe a setting change? I want you to know OP I'm not for anti-consumer actions so I'm with you on this; I just want to understand the level of worry I should have about these changes.

EmiPrime

Eh. MS does a pretty decent job of updating security patches. Win 7 came out in 2009 and we get support till 2020.

You will get security patches but Windows 7 does not have the same level of security that Windows 10 does by design. That's pretty normal as they've had 6 years and another version of Windows (8) to learn from their mistakes and to adapt to the changing trends in malware. Having vulnerabilities patched is second best to those vulnerabilities not being there in the first place.

Here is Microsoft's Windows 10 security overview.

Don't get me wrong OP, I'm totally outraged but I would like to point out OSs drop and add features on a regular bases. I would be the first at MS's gates with a pitchfork if they dropped an "on the box" feature I depended on. I want to stress the fact I'm outraged here for others who this effects but I was hoping you could clarify if some of these were features that were turned off after update but not removed? Like lock screen... that's would be so weird if it was removed? Is a changed a better word... I mean, like feature parity but different or maybe a setting change? I want you to know OP I'm not for anti-consumer actions so I'm with you on this; I just want to understand the level of worry I should have about these changes.

It is a little more nuanced than what I could fit into the thread title.

Windows 10 has some new features that are a little painful. Win 10 Home users could not disable these new features. But Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Enterprise could disable these features.

With this new update, only Win 10 Entrerprise can disable these features, making it that these new features are forced onto the users of Win 10 Home and Win 10 Pro.

My major concern is that Windows is looking like it is heading down the path Apple with iOS. There is one "correct way" to do things and MS is the once who decides what that "correct way" is.

It isn't a matter of outrage. It is having enough information to decide whether I want Win 10 or not. Different people have different things that might be dealbreakers.

You will get security patches but Windows 7 does not have the same level of security that Windows 10 does by design. That's pretty normal as they've had 6 years and another version of Windows (8) to learn from their mistakes and to adapt to the changing trends in malware. Having vulnerabilities patched is second best to those vulnerabilities not being there in the first place.

Here is Microsoft's Windows 10 security overview.

I realise that. That is why I upgraded to Win 10 last month. I was just pointing out to UncleSporky that they do keep updating the older versions for quite a decent amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom