• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

tamako market - 08

It's too bad that the secondhand clothing experience is difficult to replicate on screen--the lingering smell you try to ignore, the missing buttons, "abandoned" wallets below the aisles and the odd cigarette butt left in the pockets. Not to mention the almost quixotic quest for That One Shirt.

It's odd but, being a beneficiary of an intensely Southwestern education it was hard to ignore the unfortunate implications of stuffing Choi into the school uniform. Cue flashbacks of long rambling essays about cultural appropriation and the loss of societal identity as young Navajo girls suffered silently in distant boarding schools, their skin color marking them out as alien in some white-Eastern setting.

Look bro, this kind of detailed analysis is really more appropriate for Anime Thread A.

wonzo

Banned
Have I missed any exciting developments lately or can I go back to ignoring anime?
Hmm, let's see.

I'm probably forgetting something but that's about it really.

Hyperneptunia has always been one of those things I kind of want to get into because the gaming industry lolz seems like they could potentially be awesome but everything I hear about the delivery always makes me think 'huh'

Also, obviously, very Japanese-gaming industry focused and I don't really know shit about it

The first one is ok. It gets silly repetitive, there are only like 5 dungeon designs, the battles are extremely easy, it becomes a chore to platinum it, etc, etc.

I heard nothing but good praise for the second one though.

I dont think it was mentioned but Arata: The Legend has a longer pv and plays the op song in it too, looks really good I think, am hyped for all the amazing character designs.

tumblr_miwlftWA4Z1qbxqfpo1_500.png

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Tamako Market 08:

Tamako08_zps233d91b3.jpg

Needs more Kanna

This episode was MUCH better than last week's. The pacing and comedic timing was much better, the music gags were the first time the cafe owner's presence has actually added to the show. The characters played off of each other much better as well.

Choi is pretty hnngtastic too! :D

CorvoSol

Gundam 00 3

BWAHAHAHA. I don't like to be the one to say all anime men and women look alike, but I really did think the purple Gundam pilot was a woman until this episode. BWAHAHAHA. Is this character a woman in Japan?

The episode did something I hate about Mecha anime and fiction in general: Introduced like, ten more characters. Seriously don't expect me to remember who all these people are. At least it's not like AGE yet where a character is introduced and murdered in the episode.

Still kinda iffy about all this "Ending War" stuff. Like, no way would the IRA conflict, dragging on for 400 years, end just because the Gundams came along and spooked some people. This is a serious problem that Gundam shows all seem to commit, treating "War" as a homogenous entity. Ethnic conflicts aren't the same as inter-state wars. And even then, not all inter-state wars are the same.

Here's what would REALLY happen: The Gundams would get bogged down in guerrilla fighting or facing some kind of other tactic and eventually either be forced to murder ridiculous swaths of people to achieve their goal or back off.

As it is, in real life, if the IRA somehow steps down because it's intimidated, it'll go right back to what's being done before long since, you know, nobody is there to MAKE this change permanent. Celestial Being is executing hit and run tactics that shouldn't be having the impact the show is saying they're having.

If I ran to Syria, killed everyone in one town I saw with a gun, and then vanished into the night, would it REALLY stop the fighting? No, and its silly to think otherwise. This sort of heavy handed approach to war is to the show, and Gundam in general,'s detriment. When you end one war, you often have done it by sowing the seeds of another, which is why I always hate the childish "War is over forever!" approach Gundam seems to go for.

It isn't enough to ruin Gundam for me, but it is a gripe I have. In any case, I'm all about this Lockon guy. All the others can jump off the Dimensional Elevator or whatever.

Caught up on the Magi manga and it just made me sad that all these amazing events will look like crap when they get adapted into anime.

agreed. i just finished episode 20...WTF. they cut a lot and changed a whole bunch of stuff around. animation has gotten crappier as well.

i understand why people are pissed at this series. doesnt do the manga justice at all.

Shergal

One thing I'm really enjoying in Tamako Market is the music. It's really fantastic. This episode featured yet another variation of the main theme and some other neat tracks.
I'm surprised the composer Tomoko Kataoka has virtually never worked on anime before, she's really good. I found her myspace with some stuff by her:
http://www.myspace.com/tomokokataoka/

The implementation of the music in the show is also top-notch, episode 8's Tocatta and Fugue/5th Symphony inclusions are just the icing on the cake. Other noteworthy moments were episode 2's French song and practically any time they go to the disc shop.

Gundam 00 3

BWAHAHAHA. I don't like to be the one to say all anime men and women look alike, but I really did think the purple Gundam pilot was a woman until this episode. BWAHAHAHA. Is this character a woman in Japan?

The episode did something I hate about Mecha anime and fiction in general: Introduced like, ten more characters. Seriously don't expect me to remember who all these people are. At least it's not like AGE yet where a character is introduced and murdered in the episode.

Still kinda iffy about all this "Ending War" stuff. Like, no way would the IRA conflict, dragging on for 400 years, end just because the Gundams came along and spooked some people. This is a serious problem that Gundam shows all seem to commit, treating "War" as a homogenous entity. Ethnic conflicts aren't the same as inter-state wars. And even then, not all inter-state wars are the same.

Here's what would REALLY happen: The Gundams would get bogged down in guerrilla fighting or facing some kind of other tactic and eventually either be forced to murder ridiculous swaths of people to achieve their goal or back off.

As it is, in real life, if the IRA somehow steps down because it's intimidated, it'll go right back to what's being done before long since, you know, nobody is there to MAKE this change permanent. Celestial Being is executing hit and run tactics that shouldn't be having the impact the show is saying they're having.

If I ran to Syria, killed everyone in one town I saw with a gun, and then vanished into the night, would it REALLY stop the fighting? No, and its silly to think otherwise. This sort of heavy handed approach to war is to the show, and Gundam in general,'s detriment. When you end one war, you often have done it by sowing the seeds of another, which is why I always hate the childish "War is over forever!" approach Gundam seems to go for.

It isn't enough to ruin Gundam for me, but it is a gripe I have. In any case, I'm all about this Lockon guy. All the others can jump off the Dimensional Elevator or whatever.

You're close to it but far ..what they do is basicly go and say : "don't fight or we'll destroy the one who start the fire" as for that conflict it ended that way because both received ample negociations from external sources. the appearance of teh celestial beings just speeded up that process. but you'll see in the next episodes.

Dresden

hey

psst

psst

did you know about the manga

well if you didn't

you shouldn't

but just saying

did you know about the manga

you shouldn't look into it

just saying

CorvoSol

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 3

I think what made this a better episode was that Domon didn't just flat out win. I hate tournament shows where the hero either always wins or always loses. There needs to be a good balance of both to maintain the tension of the show. Sai Saici is now Bro Broici for me, though.

CorvoSol

Anyone know some mech anime that are more real-world militaryish similar to Muv-Luv and 08th MS Team?

FULL METAL PANIC! and THE SECOND RAID, its sequel, are pretty good real robots with only some minor Super Robot antics. There's the series in between, FUMOFFU, but it isn't exactly about giant robots.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Tamako Market - 08

ZdLwUp7.png
vIwVBO8.png

2nd OTP GET-TO!
Great episode. Kanna really came out in this one and consistently made me laugh like an idiot throughout the entire episode. Seeing the trio of girls display their close knit friendship with one another and bringing Choi into the fold like it was nothing just really warms my heart.

Cardfight!! Vanguard 33 ~ 36: After a fast training we're getting a few fillers until next tournament. Can't wait to see new decks in action.

zeroshiki

Anyone who brings up the manga all the time is a shithead. No, really.

You're those people who like to talk loudly on the bus about how the latest Harry Potter ended.

You're the one who gets his kicks talking about Game of Thrones spoilers on Youtube.

You're the dude who tells the friend playing Mario that, indeed, the princess is in another castle without letting him find out by himself.

You sicken me.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Anyone who brings up the manga all the time is a shithead. No, really.

You're those people who like to talk loudly on the bus about how the latest Harry Potter ended.

You're the one who gets his kicks talking about Game of Thrones spoilers on Youtube.

You're the dude who tells the friend playing Mario that, indeed, the princess is in another castle without letting him find out by himself.

You sicken me.
It's not even remotely similar. You can't spoil something that doesn't happen in the anime. Any humor derived from bringing it up has been completely played out by this point though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom