• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3's review embargo to end week before games launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

They have a lot confidence in their game to have so early embargo on reviews, I think that confidence is great sign for quality of end product.

CD Projekt in mid-April reported that the latest product of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, achieved gold status, which means that the game has passed all certification and is ready to reproduce. The Company confirms that the title of the world premiere will take place on 19 May 2015.

"Priority goes in line with our expectations. It is worth noting that a month before the release of our game is at the forefront of best-selling games. The greatest increase in pre-course expect in the period immediately preceding the premiere, when in full swing will start a marketing campaign and will appear first reviews "- he said.

He added that the first review of The Witcher 3 is expected in the week before the premiere.

"He" is Adam Kiciński, CEO of CDPR.

Source and was translated by using Chrome

Nice. I wonder when exactly reviewers will actually get review copies, since the game is supposed to be so dense with things to do. I'm hoping they are given ample time so they don't skip anything.

NateDrake

Last week the US PR firm handling the game wasn't sure when review code would be distributed. What is the game's release date?

Most embargoes these days are on the day of release nowadays. This is early.

You literally repeated what I said. A review embargo a week before release (or even earlier) shouldn't be considered impressive. It should be normal and it used to be exactly that. Some companies, like Nintendo, still do it.

Birdman15

Banned
I'm ready for this.

I've never had a chance to play the first two but I loved what I saw from my friends playthroughs.

Also, any news on CD's other game, the cyberpunk one? I'm in love with this dev

SSReborn

Honestly imo this shouldn't be news or like a once in a blue moon type thing I feel like all devs should just do this and it should be standard. A week or a couple days before release would be best.

Way, way too early IMO. i feel like 12 PM On The Day Of Release Ubi-embargos are the most assuring and comforting.

CDPR is trying too hard with their "developer for the people" shtick. Get off it.

Danneee

Who cares about reviews. The game is bound to be good, anything else would surprise me.

Edit: no release day embargo is nice, developers who are confident in their product are few and far between

This is awesome and refreshing to see.

Honest question: when was the last time a non-Nintendo triple A title lifted the embargo this early?

This is awesome and refreshing to see.

Honest question: when was the last time a triple A title lifted the embargo this early?

It's business as usual for Nintendo.

I'm not really discounting CD Projekt though. They're a great studio. It's just sad that this is newsworthy in 2015.

Krakn3Dfx

Doesn't matter since I've already double dipped pre-ordered on the PS4 and PC, but it'll be cool to see some impressions before I dive in.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
"in the week before the premiere"

Is not a week before the premiere, nor does it say that is the general embargo. It could be a magazine exclusive.

Most likely these will either be for PC folks or people with dev kits for consoles. Or perhaps one site has an exclusive 1 week review ahead? Otherwise I'd expect the smaller sites, etc to get their review copies very near to release.

Confidence breeds success. And it's a pleasant change from the AAAA+ crowd's recent trend of release day (or even post-release embargos).

Don't disappoint me, CD Projekt. My faith must be true.

Axial

I'm as hyped as everyone else who followed the development of the game so far, but:
He added that the first review of The Witcher 3 is expected in the week before the premiere.
He said review, singular... could this possibly mean some shady exclusive review deal with one of the bigger sites?

"in the week before the premiere"

Is not a week before the premiere, nor does it say that is the general embargo. It could be a magazine exclusive.

Most likely these will either be for PC folks or people with dev kits for consoles. Or perhaps one site has an exclusive 1 week review ahead? Otherwise I'd expect the smaller sites, etc to get their review copies very near to release.

Really? exclusive reviews are a thing?

Justinh

One week of enhanced torture.

Seriously.

I thought publishers like it for reviews to come out day of release so people can get excited about a game after watching a review and go out and buy it, otherwise they'd potentially forget about it. Thought I heard that in an interview or something, I can't remember.

Then again, who the hell's gonna forget about Witcher 3?

Tigress

One week of enhanced torture.

That's what it is going to be for me. Worse is I am going to have to resist watching the videos as I don't want too much spoiled. But I'm going to be so impatient I am going to want to watch the videos to at least have something related to tide me over.

I'm as hyped as everyone else who followed the development of the game so far, but:

He said review, singular... could this possibly mean some shady exclusive review deal with one of the bigger sites?

Maybe a print review?

Not sure on regular publication dates though, so I could be entirely off-base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom