• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With classic Style BF being liked so much - Is there a chance Halo can now go back?

Halo 5 Guardians is classic Halo. It's the most "Halo" Halo since CE.

Naaaahhh

Thats like saying Advanced Warfare felt like CoD2.

How do you know that a large percentage moved away from Halo, because it's not classic Halo like Halo 2/3? Do you realize that Halo 2's and 3's popularity was a given, because there was just no competition at those times?
Thats not true at all...
Especially Halo 3 got A LOT of competition and it was still between 1 and 3rd place in the XboxLive charts until Halo Reach dropped.
Wanna know the Competition?

CoD4,CoDWaW,MW2,BlackOps, Battlefield Bad Company 1 and 2. This "there was no competition" is just BS.

akira28

With all the amount of likes and buzz the new Battlefield trailer got, I think we may be heading towards a new industry trend of going back to the roots.

but where are his roots? Halo is a pretty cool guy and all, but its pretty clear he forgot where he came from.

.shin

Banned
I sure wish that Halo would go back to its trilogy art style because modern Halo is full of over designed clutter.

Synth

I've been saying this forever. I am 100% sure sales and the player base would increase maybe not to what Halo 3 had but close. I always come back to Counter Strike when talking about this. That series has stayed pretty much the same and is still insanely popular. No one says that CS should have sprint or increased movement. All those things are just fads and it's disappointing Halo has become a follower rather than the innovator it used to be.

Counter Strike gets brought up all the time when this topic comes up, but I think it's a pretty poor comparison to make. Counter Strike has never been toppled in the area it dominates (console CS has never really caught on... which tbh is another reason why the comparison is flawed). Basically, Counter Strike has never faced its Call of Duty moment (despite CoD itself existing on the platform). Now, IF Counter Strike had its playerbase heavily eroded by a somewhat similar game that built on top of its foundations, but added many features/aspects that made it more appealing to the more casual player, then there's probably a good chance that CS would then change to try a reach that playerbase again... and if it didn't it would probably end up like Virtual On did once Gundam VS rolled around. Despite a rocky as hell launch, the MCC should logically have served as home to much of the classic Halo fanbase... but it doesn't... because ex-Halo players are just that ex-Halo players. They haven't been sitting around playing nothing until the day Halo decides to throw away sprinting. They're playing other games today (pretty much all of them far less Halo than anything after Halo 3 has ever been), and they'll continue playing them regardless of if 343i tried to ape the classics that they no longer play.

Thats not true at all...
Especially Halo 3 got A LOT of competition and it was still between 1 and 3rd place in the XboxLive charts until Halo Reach dropped.

CoD4,CoDWaW,MW2,BlackOps, Battlefield Bad Company 1 and 2. This "there was no competition" is just BS.

Whilst H3 got a lot of competition, it gained that competition over time. It started as the champ and lost the title over time to CoD. For Halo's released after that though, CoD was already starting out as the bigger game, that you could assume your other friends would own. The only reason Halo 3 fared as well as it did, is because the competition had yet to gain its momentum. Now it's not a battle to keep the current players, but to actively take them from the competition... which is something none of the original Halo trilogy had to worry about.

Nah, Halo 5 is the most complete Halo since CE.

There's really no reason to change it at all. Changing Halo back to how it used to be wouldn't create a buzz within the CoD/BF crowd like changing BF did, it would just annoy modern Halo players.

People like you saying this about Halo 5 and giving 343 approval of that game is what is killing the franchise.

And those that buy REQ Packs.

Loxley

I was under the impression that the Halo community actually really took a liking to Halo 5? I highly doubt now that 343 have finally managed to crack the code on modernizing Halo that they'd just regress back to trying to make Halo 3 again.

I was under the impression that the Halo community actually really took a liking to Halo 5? I highly doubt now that 343 have finally managed to crack the code on modernizing Halo that they'd just regress back to trying to make Halo 3 again.

I don't know anyone who wants to go back. Master Chief Collection shows how dated those games are. Halo 2 Anniversary was a neat thing, but Halo 5 is continuing the franchise's tradition of changing dramatically with each entry. It wouldn't be Halo if you didn't have a small but loud group crying that the last game was better. It's been this way since 2004 and I'm sure it will be as long as Halo moves forward.

Bsigg12

You're talking about classic Halo in terms of gameplay when we haven't seen anything of gameplay for BF1. The setting may be back in a WW, but it doesn't mean the game is "going back to its roots". The game will in all likelihood maintain the gameplay foundation built from previous Battlefield games but instead give us a different set of weapons and vehicles. Both franchises have iterated on gameplay with each new release while maintaining some core aspects, don't expect that to change for either franchise going forward.

Akai__

Thats not true at all...

You are cherry picking quotes from my post. Read the whole thing again and you will understand the context. We all know that Halo 3 had to compete against other games, later in it's lifetime, but that's not the point of my post.

Synth post has that covered a little better.

Ffs they needed a classic playlist marketed at launch.

No thrusters, groundpound or sprint.

It pisses me off they haven't done it now, they even have classic weapons like the halo 2 br and the actual magnum.

Even Call of Duty does it.

Bsigg12

Ffs they needed a classic playlist marketed at launch.

No thrusters, groundpound or sprint.

It pisses me off they haven't done it now, they even have classic weapons like the halo 2 br and the actual magnum.

Even Call of Duty does it.

Their maps are designed around those features and would probably suck if you disabled them. Sprint alone changes the dynamics for the maps in a significant way. Bringing classic weapons back as REQs is completely different than trying to fundamentally change the gameplay.

Battlefield 1 will play nothing like 1942.

Have you...ever played 1942 op

Yea pretty much.

BF1942 and BF Vietnam, even BF2, are so far removed in gameplay style compared to modern BF and DICE games (BF3/BF4/Battlefront).

I expect BF1 to play like a blend between BF4 and Battlefront.

I like both those, so hopefully it turns out well.

The newer BF games seem too focused on infantry combat. Which is much improved compared to the older games, but I feel the vehicle combat is kind of weak/too easily countered by infantry.

I prefer PlanetSide 2 vehicle combat in this regard. It's more traditional and I think better at least. I just wish it had helicopters.

The only Halo games that felt very similar were Halo 2 and Halo 3. Considering Halo 3's multiplayer was an inconsistent, sluggish mess, I'm glad we're past those times.

Halo 2 Anniversary's multiplayer was a damn snoozefest and the BRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBR gameplay of previous games was shit. Pure shit. The BR is shit. Shit.

We have no numbers for both games.

Besides that, people (the majority) will always move to the newer games so it's a bad example anyways. MCC was several months broken (still is to some degree) and suffers from too many playlists to choose from, which makes search times absolutely crazy.

Hard to tell since the mp for that game was hot garbage for months because 343i was to busy to bother with it.

Fair enough. I assumed the player numbers were available as a while back there was that guy who very in-depth recorded the numbers for Halo 4.

brawly

That ship has sailed, at least under 343i. Which is why the series is dead to me.

Next year is Halo 3's anniversary so we might get something there.

One3OneKing

Neo Member
People like you saying this about Halo 5 and giving 343 approval of that game is what is killing the franchise.

And those that buy REQ Packs.

You shouldn't speak as though your opinion is fact. If you feel as thought it is killing the franchise, then go back and play MCC. Man, people get hung up in nostalgia. IMO Halo 5 implements great changes and plays phenomenally, how it is currently.

I don't even get the comparison here. You're posts are always about how bad Halo has become. Do what I did and let it go man God damn. The community Is generally happy with Halo 5. It's not going backwards ever.

I'd be pretty happy with BF4 gameplay in the WW1 setting.

No one's checking for old school shooters. Look what happened to quake and unreal etc. Still a dedicated community but they never getting the FPS crown in this day and age. Halo slowly moving into that category.

Let it go.

Next year is Halo 3's anniversary so we might get something there.

I'm still surprised that MS elected to make The Master Chief Collection instead of holding back Halo 3 for an Anniversary edition. Ironically that probably would have resulted in a far better performance if they only had to focus on one game instead of four.

Aaron

BRING BACK SPLITSCREEN.

Seriously, that's the only reason I ever bought Halo, and remains the only reason I play it to this day. Taking that away to fancy up the graphics just makes a very pretty game I will never, ever play.

brawly

I'm still surprised that MS elected to make The Master Chief Collection instead of holding back Halo 3 for an Anniversary edition. Ironically that probably would have resulted in a far better performance if they only had to focus on one game instead of four.

True. I still think there's a chance that they'll give Halo 3 the anniversary treatment, as it was only upscaled in the collection and they could easily use a Halo title next year.

Top Bottom