• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With The Staggered Launch Of Smash Bros, How Are They Gonna Handle Spoilers And Such?

Afrodium

Banned
The people on this thread who think it's a no-brainier that Nintendo is going to release the 3DS version without a full roster only to update it via a patch when the Wii U version is out are legit crazy.

jwk94

People are really surprised that not everyone wants to know the entire roster? I remember avoiding the character list after the Japanese launch of Brawl because I wanted there to be some surprises.

Wait... The 3DS version comes out this summer and the Wii U version doesn't come out until winter?

How they hell does Nintendo expect to sell more than like 2 copies of the Wii U release? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They took a guaranteed system seller for the Wii U and neutered it.

Many people love playing smash around a friend's tv but don't own or wish to own a 3ds. For example, college students in particular often love smash but barely ever play handheld games multiplayer. The two styles of multiplayer will not be equivalent for many customers.
Also, the rosters of stages differ completely between the 2 games (save for 2 stages) and it seems large portions of the single-player content will as well.

pa22word

People are really surprised that not everyone wants to know the entire roster? I remember avoiding the character list after the Japanese launch of Brawl because I wanted there to be some surprises.

Then go on media blackout.

It's not other people's fault you hold the series to a frankly irrational standard when it comes to "spoilers", nor should others be forced to stifle discussion because of it.

trixx

At this point I don't know why the Wii U version has same character roster as 3ds. There should be extras but oh well. Probably have entire cast on website anyways.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
In a competitive game like Smash, not knowing the whole roster is asking to get your own ass kicked.

It's like not knowing about pawn promotion in Chess.

I don't think Nintendo cares. People will find out the full roster on their own before release - it's just inevitable. Happened with Brawl, it'll happen here.

Perhaps they'll have a few characters on the WiiU disc that will become DLC on the 3DS. That'd allow them to have some element of surprise, and keep their promise for equal rosters on both platforms.

Schnozberry

Point is, if they keep things going the way they're going, they run the risk of claiming ONLY the core Smash fan audience and could miss out on the chance to expand that audience by brining new people into the fold.

Remember, Wii U needs all the help it can fucking get.

Do you think there are that many casual fans that own both a 3DS and Wii U that will be so put off by the staggered release that they will refuse to buy the game? This argument sounds like projection to me.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Point is, if they keep things going the way they're going, they run the risk of claiming ONLY the core Smash fan audience and could miss out on the chance to expand that audience by brining new people into the fold.

Remember, Wii U needs all the help it can fucking get.

I like how you think people can be brought in by not telling them what's in the game. Many people are interested in this version of Smash PRECISELY because of roster inclusions like Megaman.

These aren't spoilers, these are selling points.

RK128

This news of the 3ds version coming out before the Wii U version (you know, the version that needs this game to sell the system so it doesn't continue to bomb at retail) is already a very stupid move, so Nintendo pulling another stupid move by cutting out parts of the roster from the 3ds version for the Wii U version to look better might realistically happen.

I could only see this working if the extra characters coming to the Wii U version first if those characters are either random additions to the roster or returning fighters that many aren't super fond of (like the Wii U version getting ROB, Wolf, Jugglypuff, Lucas and Dr. Mario). I'm not dissing those characters (as ROB and Lucas were awesome in Brawl :)), but examples like that wouldn't piss off fans of the series if they are viewed as 'extra' additions to the roster or something.

I don't know, Nintendo usually has no idea what they are doing with their systems, so at thew very least the 3ds and Wii U versions are going to be great games with fun characters to play as :).

Wait... The 3DS version comes out this summer and the Wii U version doesn't come out until winter?

How they hell does Nintendo expect to sell more than like 2 copies of the Wii U release? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They took a guaranteed system seller for the Wii U and neutered it.

Do yall think Nintendo is stupid?

There's no saving the Wii U, they KNOW they shit the bed with that. Treat the thing that's actually doing well with gifts and just try to bear with the hot mess that is the Wii U until it's time for Wii 3...

I truthfully wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo made Zelda U pull a TP and have it release on the Wii 3 first after pushing it back.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm only minorly concerned about spoilers. The bigger worry for me is that tons of people will get their Smash fix with the 3DS version, and that people who may have bought a Wii U for Smash won't now. I don't know how many people that will be true for, but I guess I just want to see the Wii U do better. I want one, and I want lots of people to want one so I can have people to play with, lol.

Crazyorloco

If it comes out first do you really think it'll sell millions? The 3ds version will sell tons, and get great press for Nintendo. I think making it a, holiday Wii U release was a wise decision. Now people will actually purchase the damn system.

On topic: I think Nintendo will have a secret character...probably only unlocked when you connect with Wii u. I'm really looking forward for the unique modes though. We get spoilers all the time in gaf for characters. If you want to avoid that you have to stay away from gaming sites.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
More importantly, if the 3DS version of this game (with online play) is out for up to 6 months before the Wii U version hits, how the hell is Nintendo gonna get anyone to play the Wii U version? I mean, seriously, is this fated to be yet another unplayed masterpiece under the Wii U's belt?

Drago

If there are unlockable newcomers then I don't want to know who they are before I have the game in my hands. That's all I really care about.

I wonder if the WiiU version won't have unlockable characters whatsoever, since it's coming out so much later than the 3DS version. Surely by the time the WiiU version comes out the entire roster will be well known, and I'd bet that Nintendo would reveal the 3DS unlocks during the period between 3DS release and WiiU launch to keep the hype going for the WiiU version.

And that's if the 3DS version has unlocks in the first place. I'd hope so :/

Crazyorloco

More importantly, if the 3DS version of this game (with online play) is out for up to 6 months before the Wii U version hits, how the hell is Nintendo gonna get anyone to play the Wii U version? I mean, seriously, is this fated to be yet another unplayed masterpiece under the Wii U's belt?

Unique modes?

bon

I wish I could go into the Wii U version fresh but now there's no way the internet won't spoil all the secrets for me before it comes out.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That's exactly what I'm worried about.

Honestly I'd rather play the Wii U one first, everything all fresh and stuff on the beautiful console version on my TV.

The 3DS one was just gonna be an 'additional' bit of awesome I could now play my Smash in handheld form!

The fact that the 3DS one comes earlier and I have zero chance of not playing straight away means by the time I get the Wii U one I would have cleaned out the 3DS one. Sorta hurts the enjoyment of the Wii U one I feel. :(

Not

Banned
It's gonna be a bummer to not have surprise unlockable characters, but at this point it's just gonna be Ness, Game and Watch, Chrom, and Dixie Kong anyway so what do I care

Weren't they going to reveal virtually the entire game before it released anyway because people were spoiling the past games? Don't really see why it matters anymore.

Top Bottom