• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Tanks announced for PS4

ZhugeEX

Banned
World of Tanks - PS4 edition has been announced as free to play for all PSN account holders. Ps Plus users get additional content for free.

PS4 version will support all PS4 features like dualshock 4 support, shareplay and remotrplay.

Two new maps will be exclusive.

Beta at end of the year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzWqOIW4my8

Will be localized in Japanese, Korean and Chinese. (I suspect English as well)

much as I like World of Tanks, I don't really get a chance to play it. My current PC setup for it is not enough and the console versions don't share progress with the PC version so I have little drive to start all over on console. Would be shocked if the PS4 version was the same. It's a shame. Oh well. Still cool though. Certainly a better game than War Thunder's tank battles IMO.

eFKac

I won't grind again when I'm already invested in War Thunder, so unfortunately too late for me.

They really took their time (or MS's money)

raven777

most important thing

55F90E203E137A0015

Good for PS4 users. I've really been enjoying it on X1, it plays a bit different to the PC version which I got a bit tired of (as did my PC).

Hmm,

On one hand PS4 already has the much superior War Thunder,
On the other maybe this gets Warships on PS4 before War Thunder gets around to it.

demolitio

Good for PS4 users. I've really been enjoying it on X1, it plays a bit different to the PC version which I got a bit tired of (as did my PC).

I think I'll try it on PS4 when it comes out since I got tired of the PC version a long time ago and this will be a nice change of pace from War Thunder.

Not surprising that they'd come to PS4 bearing gifts...lol

Xater

Finally! I've been waiting for this. I vastly prefer it to the tank stuff in Warthunder especially because that game runs like shit.

demolitio

In term of tank battles?? I don't think so.

So maybe Armored Warfare on consoles too??

Entirely subjective. One goes for more realistic combat and the other is more like a competitive MP game.

Different strokes for different folks but mixed plane and tank battles are amazing imo. Too many people stuck to arcade mode.

I think I'll try it on PS4 when it comes out since I got tired of the PC version a long time ago and this will be a nice change of pace from War Thunder.

Not surprising that they'd come to PS4 bearing gifts...lol

Yeah, it's a completely different pace to War Thunder. It's looking pretty good with all its new HD models too.

In term of tank battles?? I don't think so.

So maybe Armored Warfare on consoles too??

I played World of Tanks and then tried War Thunder and prefer it simply because I like the damage model. The entire tank is filled with individual components to what makes it function to the actual armour plating, each tank has different thickness on different parts and if you shoot the right calibre penetration you penetrate certain areas better etc. Some tanks can take huge punishment from front attacks while maybe that exact tank can be 1 shot if hit on the side, it creates awesome proper tactical play of how you position and use your tank in simulation mode (arcade is fun too but the GUI of easily knowing where your enemy is affects team tactics like flanking). That's why I really like War Thunder because of the damage model. They play differently, I don't think World of Tanks is worse, just prefer how it plays out with War Thunder's damage model. Maybe World of Tanks went with a similar system over the years but I remember initially playing it when it came out and wasn't like that.

Been playing World of Warships by Wargaming and IMO it's their best game yet, it's so much damn fun. Didn't enjoy their World of Tanks but they've nailed it for me with World of Warships. So now I play War Thunder for the tanks and World of Warships for the ships, lol. Also it seems it's only in time that World of Warships also gets anime camo stuff lol considering how much people on the forums for WoWS has avatars and stuff of anime regarding warships. There's a demand it seems.

Entirely subjective. One goes for more realistic combat and the other is more like a competitive MP game.

Different strokes for different folks but mixed plane and tank battles are amazing imo. Too many people stuck to arcade mode.

I guess War Thunder has much more difficult learning curve, if you want to play mixed realistic mode. You have to learn both tank and aircraft tactics and what every vehicle is capable of. I've played for an year and I'm still a total noob when it comes to planes. Although I do have all the non-premium tanks apart for one for every nation.

Still, it's the best action game I've played on PS4, and it being free without direct pay to win mechanisms is pretty amazing.

On topic:
I agree that Wargaming should have ported World of Warships first. I'm probably not going to keep World of Tanks installed on PS4 if the game takes too much hard drive space.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
with Girls und Panzer!!!
Can't believe it's this that got me to post for the first time this TGS. I vastly prefer the much more obvious tank battles of World of Tanks to War Thunder. You can be a hero in it if you want. Or you can be a team player. This means I can just delete it from my PC and reclaim some memory. Wonder if they'll make it so I have to grind back up to my M4.

Jackano

I completely stopped to play this in October last year, after 4 years I think.
My play time is completely filled with Football Manager, Hyrule Warriors, Splatoon, and Neo PSO since then.

But check it out if you only have a ps4 and never played it before, it's great.
Although if you love it, play on PC.

Can't believe it's this that got me to post for the first time this TGS. I vastly prefer the much more obvious tank battles of World of Tanks to War Thunder. You can be a hero in it if you want. Or you can be a team player. This means I can just delete it from my PC and reclaim some memory. Wonder if they'll make it so I have to grind back up to my M4.

Yep, you'll start from scratch. There's quite a few mechanical differences between the PC and console versions, which would make transferring accounts difficult.

For example, all tank crews are represented by a single commander, meaning you can't train or upskill anyone else.

Xater

Yep, you'll start from scratch. There's quite a few mechanical differences between the PC and console versions, which would make transferring accounts difficult.

For example, all tank crews are represented by a single commander, meaning you can't train or upskill anyone else.

That sounds like simplified that part like in World of Tanks Blitz. Great. I want the bigger battles but prefer the management stuff from Blitz. Sounds like I'll get the best of both worlds.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Not even a little.
War Thunder looked and ran like hot garbage the last time I played.

While I agree that PC version is clearly the superior version, your definition of hot garbage is flawed. The game looks and runs well on a PS4. That is all. Or maybe you were just joking.

While I agree that PC version is clearly the superior version, your definition of hot garbage is flawed. The game looks and runs well on a PS4. That is all. Or maybe you were just joking.

Feel free to prove me wrong

There are Tank tier matchmaking restrictions so this doesn't happen IIRC.

Except that it does happen
M4 with derp cannon against tier 3 tanks lol

Burny

Feel free to prove me wrong

Normally, having made a claim, you're the one who has to substantiate it. Even more so, as "hot garbage" does tell me nothing, except that you didn't like it. Maybe there's a good reason behind it, but you're a bit too brief for others to see it.

A quick google turned up this Youtube video comparing WT on PC an PS4.

I know that War Thunder is not the ultimate graphical showcase, even on PC where I occasionally play it. It looks pretty serviceable though where I'm concerned. Feel free to point out the PS4 version's flaws in that video.

I guess War Thunder has much more difficult learning curve, if you want to play mixed realistic mode. You have to learn both tank and aircraft tactics and what every vehicle is capable of. I've played for an year and I'm still a total noob when it comes to planes. Although I do have all the non-premium tanks apart for one for every nation.

Still, it's the best action game I've played on PS4, and it being free without direct pay to win mechanisms is pretty amazing.

On topic:
I agree that Wargaming should have ported World of Warships first. I'm probably not going to keep World of Tanks installed on PS4 if the game takes too much hard drive space.

WOT for PS4 should be like XB1 so not just a port...well unless you say it's port from XB1 version, but i just want to say WOT on PC and WOT on console have notable difference part.

So since there is only PC version of WOWS, i guess it need take a while for WG to make console version of WOWS.

Dazza

About time this released on PS4, LOL at the people comparing WOT and Warthunder. It's like comparing NBA Jam and NBA Live

Top Bottom