• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would The Sound Quality And Media Size Of The NDS Be Enough For Beatmania Type Games?

GDGF

Soothsayer
I was thinking that the NDS touchscreen would be great for Konami type Bemani games. Turn tables, keyboards, drums...hell you could get fancy and allow for harp type strumming of strings. It all sounds nice, but is the sound quality and media size enough to facilitate such gameplay?

Those in the know?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
NDS games are suppose to be 128 megabytes "and beyond", so it should

Hell they made Beatmania for GBC :p

GDGF

Soothsayer
That would be great. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the original Beatmania (DJ Konami and all :)) Hopefully Konami thinks about it.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
How many simultaneous points of input would/does the touch screen allow?

Hope it's more than one if you're trying to create any Bemani game....

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Maybe they can create a new different game. Like being a maestro or something, I don't know

Considering that Konami won't even put out already existing Bemani games for those of us who shelled out hundreds of dollars for the controllers - Guitar Freaks and Drummania for example, which stopped after 4th/3rd mix at home and are up to 11th/10th mix in arcades - I seriously doubt they'll be giving us any new Bemani games for the DS. Or for any console.

It sucks. :(

Belfast

Anything that requires a quick reaction time concerning multiple inputs isn't going to work on the touchscreen, so you can nix that idea. Maybe a Taiko-esque game would work, though.

edit: agreed with bobby, too. Konami isn't doing a whole lot about the waning popularity of anything Bemani besides Pop N Music.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
bobbyconover said:
for example, which stopped after 4th/3rd mix at home and are up to 11th/10th mix in arcades - I seriously doubt they'll be giving us any new Bemani games for the DS. Or for any console.

It sucks. :(
I'm still upset at Konami for stopping the Guitar/drummania ports after 4th/3rd mix :(

Defensor said:
I'm still upset at Konami for stopping the Guitar/drummania ports after 4th/3rd mix :(

Not as mad as Steel Batallion fans, I bet.

Anyway, I think we're more likely to see Donkey Konga DS than any Bemani DS. I was quite surprised that Nintendo didn't show one at E3, considering their heavy emphasis on the GameCube version of Donkey Konga as well as DK Jungle Beat.

Storage capacity: yes, should be adequate.
Sound quality: remains to be seen.

Jonnyboy117 said:
Not as mad as Steel Batallion fans, I bet.

I'd say madder, after hunting down the massive Drummania in Japan, paying $130 or so for it, and having to lug it all the way home - not to mention shelling out for not one but two guitars at $50 apiece. Most important, though, I love the games and sincerely wanted (and would've paid $70 a pop for) more. I don't know if many Steel Batallion fans felt that way!

As for the sound quality, I'm sure it's fine. Beatmania was pulled off on Gameboy and even on Wonderswan quite well. I actually preferred the bleep-bloopy Gameboy version to the more arcade-accurate Wonderswan release.

Me at E3 to Tetsuya Mizuguchi: Aren't you working on a DS game?
Mizuguchi: It hasn't been announced.

I get the feeling we'll be seeing something.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Kobun Heat said:
Me at E3 to Tetsuya Mizuguchi: Aren't you working on a DS game?
Mizuguchi: It hasn't been announced.

I get the feeling we'll be seeing something.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/03/29/news_6092467.html

GS: Are you interested in portable devices?

TM: Yes, I think my next game will be for the PSP or Nintendo DS.

GS: Will that be Rez 2?

TM: In my mind, yes. But I won't use the Rez name because that belongs to Sega.

I sure hope it's on NDS

The feeling that I got from our brief exchange at E3 was that there was going to be a game on DS. He was careful not to say that, though.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
does miziguchi even have a development team yet?

and i certainly hope he doesn't intend to do a rez sequel on the ds. or at least not exclusively on the ds. it's not the sort of game that lends itself to n64 graphics and gba sound.

It's also not a "Beatmania type game" by any stretch of the imagination. Its "music game" status is pretty darn dubious if you ask me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
How many simultaneous points of input would/does the touch screen allow?
Highly likely only one point. At least that's how it's been with all the PDA touch screens made so far. Then again, I don't think you need more than one point for a slightly reworked bemani game.

Top Bottom