• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wow fable will have gay marriage ,soccer with decapited heads

yonoid

Banned
The past year has been an incredible one for Fable and now we're getting to the stage where it’s finally finished! More and more people on the team can finally say they're done with their work and can have some more time off, while others have to work twice as hard to make their deadlines. This of course is only a good thing; as only two and a half months are left for the team to get the game out. From that point the version will be pressed on a DVD and shipped to the different stores around the globe; Fable will be released in September in the US and somewhere in October in Europe. Why postpone the European release by a month you ask me? Basically because all European languages are being put on one disc (e.g. so Belgian gamers can play the game in English if they wanted to) and Microsoft needs a month to translate our 22,000 lines of text, a 160,000 words, in all European languages. I think this is understandable and not worth worrying about.

The game itself is looking so polished now; I was especially surprised by the whole ending of the game. Without revealing anything about the story - that's one of the best kept secrets regarding Fable - I can tell you something happens to your family and as you play your way through the whole story most of it becomes clear. In some way or another that is, because there are many different twists and ways to deal with certain events. The final chapter for example can result in four different endings for the game, all depending on the different choices you've made during the time you played Fable. It's also complex and interesting to discover; the whole story leaves a lot of possibilities for the future. As you come across many different characters and places, you learn more about Albion and its people. This will answer many early questions but - and this is typical – raise new ones! The story is fucking amazing as it hooks you in right form the very start. After you finish the game, it becomes even more interesting; as you can go back to all places in the world of Albion and do all the stuff you missed or had forgotten about, you can continue to go on a quest or experience life in the villages and towns. Or explore the world! It's cool and guarantees an almost infinite replay-value. You will also be pleasantly (or not so) surprised by the effect that completing the game has - as some things will have changed for good in Albion…

The final balancing of the game is also being done and tested, and sometimes this brings forth a funny story. Ben Huskins and Josh Atkins are mainly the ones responsible for this aspect. It's now for example possible - after you decapitated an enemy - to play soccer with the head you just sliced off. If you manage to hit someone with it (the head that is), it will do a little bit of damage! Crossbows haven't been dropped; gay marriage hasn't been dropped, etc... but in these final stages the team has to make difficult decisions about certain features and if certain bits are left in as they are or completely cancelled. Sometimes it's impossible to finish a certain feature before the deadline, but I am sure the team tries to reduce this to an absolute minimum. Currently only a few things had to be changed or cancelled, but as a community pet (and your voice to the team) I plead to keep everything in, even if it doesn't work! Sometimes people don't like it for example when I try to raise the point regarding Horns and Halos again, I get angry looks from around the office, or the occasional punch. Funny!

goty

human5892

Queen of Denmark
If it can come together as well as it sounds, this game should be really cool.

That's a pretty big "if" though.

Gattsu25

Banned
blood02.jpg

yonoid said:
The past year has been an incredible one for Fable and now we're getting to the stage where it’s finally finished! More and more people on the team can finally say they're done with their work and can have some more time off, while others have to work twice as hard to make their deadlines. This of course is only a good thing; as only two and a half months are left for the team to get the game out. From that point the version will be pressed on a DVD and shipped to the different stores around the globe; Fable will be released in September in the US and somewhere in October in Europe. Why postpone the European release by a month you ask me? Basically because all European languages are being put on one disc (e.g. so Belgian gamers can play the game in English if they wanted to) and Microsoft needs a month to translate our 22,000 lines of text, a 160,000 words, in all European languages. I think this is understandable and not worth worrying about.

The game itself is looking so polished now; I was especially surprised by the whole ending of the game. Without revealing anything about the story - that's one of the best kept secrets regarding Fable - I can tell you something happens to your family and as you play your way through the whole story most of it becomes clear. In some way or another that is, because there are many different twists and ways to deal with certain events. The final chapter for example can result in four different endings for the game, all depending on the different choices you've made during the time you played Fable. It's also complex and interesting to discover; the whole story leaves a lot of possibilities for the future. As you come across many different characters and places, you learn more about Albion and its people. This will answer many early questions but - and this is typical – raise new ones! The story is fucking amazing as it hooks you in right form the very start. After you finish the game, it becomes even more interesting; as you can go back to all places in the world of Albion and do all the stuff you missed or had forgotten about, you can continue to go on a quest or experience life in the villages and towns. Or explore the world! It's cool and guarantees an almost infinite replay-value. You will also be pleasantly (or not so) surprised by the effect that completing the game has - as some things will have changed for good in Albion…

The final balancing of the game is also being done and tested, and sometimes this brings forth a funny story. Ben Huskins and Josh Atkins are mainly the ones responsible for this aspect. It's now for example possible - after you decapitated an enemy - to play soccer with the head you just sliced off. If you manage to hit someone with it (the head that is), it will do a little bit of damage! Crossbows haven't been dropped; gay marriage hasn't been dropped, etc... but in these final stages the team has to make difficult decisions about certain features and if certain bits are left in as they are or completely cancelled. Sometimes it's impossible to finish a certain feature before the deadline, but I am sure the team tries to reduce this to an absolute minimum. Currently only a few things had to be changed or cancelled, but as a community pet (and your voice to the team) I plead to keep everything in, even if it doesn't work! Sometimes people don't like it for example when I try to raise the point regarding Horns and Halos again, I get angry looks from around the office, or the occasional punch. Funny!

goty

Umm.. isn't it not really kosher to praise your game as GOTY if you're on the development team?

Man this game sounds so frigging awesome.....

anyone have any good links to great gameplay footage? the footage up at Xbox.com is mostly "movie trailer" type stuff, that doesnt really show off the game, but certainly is good for getting a fan excited about the game...

i really hope this game hits its sept 1 release... i could see them holding it back another month or two to make it a big christmas release along side HALO 2.. those two games will be pretty huge christmas games for MS.

gunstarhero

I just cant bring myself to give a shit about this game anymore - they started the hype train WAY TO EARLY for this game. Hopefully high scores will get me interested in it again.

Once word gets out that there is gay marriages in this game; I wonder what the eventual rating for the game will be? The Christian coalition might get on board and condemn the game for this.

Yeah. The Hype train has left the building; especially when they've NEVER really released gameplay videos

There have been a ton of gameplay videos i've seen of this game. Hit up Oxygen, he's the video guru for this game. If he's made ti to this new board that is.

FoneBone

TheGreenGiant said:
Once word gets out that there is gay marriages in this game; I wonder what the eventual rating for the game will be? The Christian coalition might get on board and condemn the game for this.
I don't think that ever happened with The Sims... admittedly, I'm not sure if that allowed actual marriages. Not having played it, I wouldn't know.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
TheGreenGiant said:
Yeah. The Hype train has left the building; especially when they've NEVER really released gameplay videos

um, your kidding right? almost all the footage i've seen has been of peter demoing the game to some audience. all gameplay. and hes been doing it for quite some time now too.

Fable will flop so hard... They must have sinked millions into development and Fable is lucky to sell even 300 000 copies. (just a guess,heh)

Or how much a game with expensive dev costs must sell to be profitable?

suikodan

It is stupid that they don't put all languages in all the versions. The American continent doesn't only consist of english-speaking people.

It's a shame, especially when previous MGS games did that before.

Project Midway said:
Fable will flop so hard... They must have sinked millions into development and Fable is lucky to sell even 300 000 copies. (just a guess,heh)

This raises a good point. Fable's been in development for a long time, and in that time it's become pretty clear what a cartoonish RPG can expect to sell on the Xbox. Is it within the realm of possibility that they'll recoup the money spent to develop it?

I think the game will sell pretty well,.. 300,000-500,000 this Christmas season being what I woudl think, and eventually selling in the 400-700,000 range.. it will be one of the bigger xbox titles ever released, but it wont be one of the biggest..

MS will probably hype this one pretty big, and it has years of hype already.. it should do decently.. i dont even like RPGS really and I am going to buy it.

I have kept my expectations for this game low enough to enjoy it once it comes out. I don't expect nearly half of the things they say. After finally looking at footage, it looks like it might get some attention. Whether or not the attention will register a profit for the game, though, is still in the air. I mean, the game's been in production for over 3 years. Release the game as it is and people will be happy.

LuckyBrand said:
I think the game will sell pretty well,.. 300,000-500,000 this Christmas season being what I woudl think, and eventually selling in the 400-700,000 range.. it will be one of the bigger xbox titles ever released, but it wont be one of the biggest.
What did KOTOR do, just for comparison's sake?

anyone think this game will hit 9/1/04 like planned?

i put down money on Halo 2, and Ill put money down on this and doom 3.. but thats probably the only games Ill feel the need to, and want to, put money down to pre-order.

Project Midway said:

if that's the case. It already has flopped. I wonder how much of the dev cost MS is soaking up? MS will no doubt advertise this game to hell and back but will it sell? PGR2 and AMPed2 were massive bombs. Let's just hope this gets excellent scores. This is probably one of the few titles I want on the XBOX.

ps KOTOR has the additional strength (I hesitate to use the word force) of the star wars IP. So you can't really compare them. Molyneux who?

suikodan said:
It is stupid that they don't put all languages in all the versions. The American continent doesn't only consist of english-speaking people.

It's a shame, especially when previous MGS games did that before.

Huh? When did an MGS game have language options in America?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Well B&W sold millions on the back of Molyneuxs name, whether he actually developed Fable or not his name is all over this project. Id be supprised if this sold as well as B&W, but i dont think it'll flop either, Lionhead has a pretty huge following.

Top Bottom