• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrestling Games on DS/PSP: What can we expect?

Memles

We're currently at a bit of a stalemate in wrestling game development, I think. And, for the record, I'm talking WWE/NWA development, rather than Def Jam here. Nothing against the game, I enjoyed the first, I simply am more or less focusing on the licensed wrestling titles.

The stalemate is really all the fault of THQ. I mean, Yukes has taken over both GCN and PS2 development, they've left the XBox title to the makers of Tao Feng, and the only good developer of western-released wrestling games is working with EA on Def Jam. And, nothing can really stop this.

But, I really want to see what THQ plans on doing with the WWE license when it comes to the two new handhelds hitting the market. Handheld wrestling titles, in the past, have been two dimensional, and on the whole really, really crappy. They've had no moves, no skill, and very simply have struggled to be GOOD.

But now, we have capable handhelds. We have handhelds with Graphics similar to N64, and then similar to PS2. We have 4 face buttons. We have shoulder buttons. There is everything there to actually develop real wrestling titles.

But, will THQ look to TRULY take adavntage of this? Already, they've got some definite options. The wireless multiplayer of both the DS and PSP should surely be used for multiplayer mayhem, and while I'd be worried about lag in Wi-Fi I think it could be done. But, will they actually use any of this? Will there actually be wrestling titles for the systems?

For instance...it may be a pipe dream, but I seriously think THQ should consider porting WWE No Mercy's Engine to the DS. Update the roster, maybe improve the entrances a bit, perhaps alter a few things in story mode, and offer wireless multiplayer, maybe even online. For me, the technology is there, and there's enough buttons to make it work. You've got four face buttons for Grappling, Striking, running, etc. And, to change who you're attacking, you could use the touch screen to select which wrestler you wish to target. I'm sure it's not going to happen, but if the technology is there why not take advantage of it?

We're finally to a point where handheld wrestling can actually be good. They can be 3D, and actually be worthwhile experiences, and not wastes of our money. The PSP is likely to see a port of an old Smackdown title with an updated roster, but I'd really like to see THQ do something with a No Mercy style, in order to give wrestling fans a good game not based on improved graphics or more matches, but instead good gameplay. Even if it takes a handheld, I'll take it.

Deg

Banned
You will get watered down ports of the current home versions. DS will have an exclusive touch the body part action system :p PSP will have connectivity:p

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
We're finally to a point where handheld wrestling can actually be good. They can be 3D, and actually be worthwhile experiences, and not wastes of our money. The PSP is likely to see a port of an old Smackdown title with an updated roster, but I'd really like to see THQ do something with a No Mercy style, in order to give wrestling fans a good game not based on improved graphics or more matches, but instead good gameplay. Even if it takes a handheld, I'll take it.

So, THQ intentionally would give the PSP a shallow but good looking game then turn around "hey, we cannot make the DS game look like much in 3D so let's make sure it really plays well".

You just cannot accept that PSP will have games that have great gameplay and great graphics , can you ?

Memles

Panajev2001a said:
You just cannot accept that PSP will have games that have great gameplay and great graphics , can you ?

Oh, I can. I simply don't expect THQ to get off their ass and develop a new engine for the system, so I fully expect them to simply port Smackdown. In the case of the DS, porting a recent title would prove far more difficult, and thus I'm hoping, as a pipe dream, they'll go back to a better wrestling game. My point wasn't that the PSP on a whole has worse gameplay, more that the Smackdown series is generally not as good gameplay wise, and I'd rather they not just port it. I expect it for PSP, while I'm hoping the lower tech will force them into something else for the DS.

I know you love you some Sony tech, but this wasn't a scathing attack on the PSP.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No, this is not a point of love for Sony or not.

This is a point against the idea "hey the worse hardware will force better gameplay".

Anything Nintendo does, anything somehow can be pushed in the category "well, it should do some good forcing developers to make better/more original games".

GDGF

Soothsayer
Panajev2001a said:
Anything Nintendo does, anything somehow can be pushed in the category "well, it should do some good forcing developers to make better/more original games".

Replace Nintendo with Sony, and you've got Sony's 'unfair' advantage in the console world.
Little tit for tat, there :)

Memles said:
We're finally to a point where handheld wrestling can actually be good. They can be 3D, and actually be worthwhile experiences, and not wastes of our money.

FACT: The best wrestling game of all time is actually 2D.

1933.jpg

FACT: The best wrestling game ever released on American soil is actually for a handheld.

fireprowrestling.jpg

Hopefully this was an educational experience.

Memles

Mister Zimbu said:
Hopefully this was an educational experience.

Please note that I am more or less speaking of THQ here, if you had read it. I had Fire Pro Wrestling for GBA...for the most part, I couldn't get into it. So sue me for that much, I guess. On the whole, I just want a licensed wrestling game done right on a handheld. I am not in any way judging past titles other than THQ's crap.

And it's not about worse hardware forcing better gameplay...it's about it making a port of No Mercy easier. And thus, providing better gameplay than Smackdown. Gasp!

Top Bottom