• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ Article: Hope Fades for PS3 as a Comeback Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
[Nintex] said:
I wonder if Nintendo Gunpei'd her after that E3 disaster.

She's still with Nintendo, and she actually gives really great interviews every now and then.

TJ Spyke

Oh, i've only seen the episodes a couple of times, so that's why I probably didn't remember.

bmf, PBS airs these little ~10 minute long segments after the episodes where the crew and actors talk about making that episode. Do you know if those are on the DVD sets?

Also, do you recommend I start with season 3 (yes I know it's a British series and they use "series" instead of "season") or season 4? I know with some shows it doesn't matter, while other shows will have you lost if you skip a season.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Damn, I missed the Carnival of Stupid. I guess that's what I get for going out last night and living my life.

TJ Spyke said:
Oh, i've only seen the episodes a couple of times, so that's why I probably didn't remember.

bmf, PBS airs these little ~10 minute long segments after the episodes where the crew and actors talk about making that episode. Do you know if those are on the DVD sets?

Also, do you recommend I start with season 3 (yes I know it's a British series and they use "series" instead of "season") or season 4? I know with some shows it doesn't matter, while other shows will have you lost if you skip a season.
You're in the US? I assume PBS is US only... SciFi Channel is all caught up, and tend to show new episodes only a couple of weeks after the BBC does.

The 2005- production of Doctor who is made up of mostly self-contained episodes, even taking account for 2 and 3 part serials - most of which fairly self-contained. Additionally there is a tendency for season long story arcs. You'll be safe skipping a season, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice. The 10 minute long episodes that I think you're speaking of sound like Doctor Who Confidential, and while I haven't made a habit of watching those, I think they were originally longer - like 30 minutes long. I do not know if those are on the DVD releases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_Confidential

TJ Spyke

bmf said:
You're in the US? I assume PBS is US only... SciFi Channel is all caught up, and tend to show new episodes only a couple of weeks after the BBC does.

The 2005- production of Doctor who is made up of mostly self-contained episodes, even taking account for 2 and 3 part serials - most of which fairly self-contained. Additionally there is a tendency for season long story arcs. You'll be safe skipping a season, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice. The 10 minute long episodes that I think you're speaking of sound like Doctor Who Confidential, and while I haven't made a habit of watching those, I think they were originally longer - like 30 minutes long. I do not know if those are on the DVD releases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_Confidential

Yeah, I don't have cable right now so I can't watch the episodes on Sci Fi.

Doctor Who Confidential, that's what I was thinking of. I couldn't remember it off the top of my head.

I will go in order, I will miss Rose though (I know that Rose makes occasional appearances again).

Last off-topic comment from me, but I will miss David Tennant as the Doctor. He's been pretty great.

TJ Spyke said:
Yeah, I don't have cable right now so I can't watch the episodes on Sci Fi.

Doctor Who Confidential, that's what I was thinking of. I couldn't remember it off the top of my head.

I will go in order, I will miss Rose though (I know that Rose makes occasional appearances again).

Last off-topic comment from me, but I will miss David Tennant as the Doctor. He's been pretty great.
Well, we just got the Christmas special with him, and there are supposed to be 4 more hour long specials with him in 2009 as well, then 2010 for the new actor, whoever it ends up being. I'm of the opinion that they're preparing to give a woman the role, but I wouldn't know who......

duk

Banned
I hope Sony learns from their mistakes however I don't want them going the Nintendo route of just a revised PS3; however, Sony may not have the funds to make a full on remake.

Vinci

Danish
duk said:
I hope Sony learns from their mistakes however I don't want them going the Nintendo route of just a revised PS3; however, Sony may not have the funds to make a full on remake.

If they're so financially in the shitter right now that they can't afford a mess of duct tape, then clearly something is very wrong.

DOOM. GLOOM. NO GAMES.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Chozo said:
I heard that the PS3 is the only console this gen that has compelling exclusive titles C/D

As has been pointed out several dozen fucking times in this thread, "PS3 HAS NO GAEMS" was never mentioned anywhere except in the mind of Sonyfriends.

NO ONE IS SAYING PS3 HAS NO GAMES

NO ONE IS SAYING THAT PS3 GAMES ARE NOT WORTH PLAYING

PEOPLE ARE SAYING THAT THESE GAMES ARE NOT GAME CHANGERS IN TERMS OF SONY'S MARKET POSITION

Has this point been sufficiently made to you, or will you continue your heroic last stand against reason and sanity?

You know, seeing them blatantly ignore the actual issue at hand was funny for the first few hundred times, but now it's getting a bit tiresome. :/

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Oblivion said:
You know, seeing them blatantly ignore the actual issue at hand was funny for the first few hundred times, but now it's getting a bit tiresome. :/

Stop saying it has no games then. Especially stop saying it has no game changing games. It does. LBP and Uncharted, just for starters.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Chozo said:
I heard that the PS3 is the only console this gen that has compelling exclusive titles C/D

As has been pointed out several dozen fucking times in this thread, "PS3 HAS NO GAEMS" was never mentioned anywhere except in the mind of Sonyfriends.

NO ONE IS SAYING PS3 HAS NO GAMES

NO ONE IS SAYING THAT PS3 GAMES ARE NOT WORTH PLAYING

PEOPLE ARE SAYING THAT THESE GAMES ARE NOT GAME CHANGERS IN TERMS OF SONY'S MARKET POSITION

Has this point been sufficiently made to you, or will you continue your heroic last stand against reason and sanity?
OuterWorldVoice said:
Stop saying it has no games then. Especially stop saying it has no game changing games. It does. LBP and Uncharted, just for starters.
We're goin' back, Jack, and do it agaaaain!
Wheel turnin' round and round...

Sadist

Tormentoso said:
Wow dude chill is my view you don't have to like it or agree with it my god,and i am the fan boy some how,some people can't just tolerate other people opinions.
... ... ... I give up. :lol

Teddman

Fafalada said:
Actually PS3 USB ports really aren't powered when it's off (PCs keep them powered for instance, and IIRC the PS2 as well, I dunno about others though). But yea, off topic and all that.
PS2's USB ports are not powered when it's off either...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
OuterWorldVoice said:
It has no "game changing" games. Neither does the 360. The Wii does though.

Deal with it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, was that dude SERIOUS? I thought he was being sarcastic. Goddamn, I can't tell anymore. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm torn, if he was joking then I'd like him more, but I really, really wanted to see him make an ass of himself as he unravels.

Kolgar

I don't know why they keep fighting. It's a losing battle and it doesn't matter anyway.

If you're a PS3-only gamer, there are still plenty of good-to-great games to play and you can sleep soundly at night knowing that yours is the only console that can play Blu-ray movies, surf the Internet, play Little Big Planet or whatever else trips your trigger.

So long as you enjoy those capabilities, it doesn't matter whether Soccer Mom or 360 Boy sees things the same way. Different people have different tastes. It just so happens that PS3 is a fuck-awesome piece of hardware that contains lots of pricey features most people really don't want or need, and the sales story bears that out.

Enjoy the system and its games. There's nothing to be gained by torturing yourselves with dreams of a worst-to-first sales comeback - not unless you actually work for Sony, anyway.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Oblivion said:
Wait, was that dude SERIOUS? I thought he was being sarcastic. Goddamn, I can't tell anymore. :lol

I wasn't, if you mean me. However, in this thread, sarcasm and absurdiity are basically interhchageable.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
OuterWorldVoice said:
I wasn't, if you mean me. However, in this thread, sarcasm and absurdiity are basically interhchageable.
You fooled me. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom