• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ Article: Hope Fades for PS3 as a Comeback Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
H_Prestige said:
They're planning on moving to 45nm CPU early next year. How much would that lower production costs?

So I don't know too much about this stuff, but my impression is that chip manufacturing is a pretty capital intensive task.

Is their any chance that PS3 sales are low enough that moving to a smaller die size won't be more economical?

nyong

Banned
Weisheit said:
6qjkmd.jpg

PS3 is a fad confirmed?

Easily explained.

The PS3 is the only system that doesn't draw power through USB (and is thus 'on') when it's really 'off'

Either this or I'm missing something. Or wrong. Which is less likely.

Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:
It's very depressive when you think about it, only on the third year of it's lifespan PS3 might reach PS2's launch price. And I don't remember $300 being too cheap either.

I hope no on launches a console over $300 ever again, and would love to see $200-$300 consoles next-gen.

Well if the big 3 are willing to have truly next gen tech at that price then I'm all for it, otherwise I don't mind the 400/500 dollar launch tab. I can work harder to earn money for games, but I can't do a thing about being stuck with low tech gaming options for half a decade or more.

Eteric Rice

Dark FaZe said:
Well if the big 3 are willing to have truly next gen tech at that price then I'm all for it, otherwise I don't mind the 400/500 dollar launch tab. I can work harder to earn money for games, but I can't do a thing about being stuck with low tech gaming options for half a decade or more.

You can buy a PC.

FightyF

Banned
ziran said:
To the mass market, i.e. the majority of people who play videogames, and most PS2 owners, PS3 offers NOTHING over the Wii. If you disagree you're wrong, and really have not been paying attention.

The PS3 offers HD support, a wide variety of videogames that you will never see on the Wii (nothing on the Wii comparable to Gran Turismo, or even God of War, or Little Big Planet, or NHL 09, or...I can go forever here). The PS3 offers BluRay playback as well, the Wii will never be able to do that.

People want this stuff, but they can't afford it. The key to the Wii's success has been in 3 things. Firstly, the motion controller made gaming highly successful. Secondly, the hype was garnered and used to its full potential. Thirdly, the price was at a mass market price point since day one.

You know, several months on and a couple of years in, the saddest thing here is many people, including possibly Sony, unless they're playing a big bluff, still not getting that PS3's biggest mistake wasn't price, it was coming to market with the wrong gameplan. Of course, price was/is a factor, and ultimately condemned them to last place this gen (but more about that later ;-), but it wasn't their key mistake, which is pretty obvious now.

Sony, like MS, assumed the market would take to last gen gaming with better graphics, as this had worked for the PS1 -> PS2 gen, but the mass market had moved on and wanted something new, which turned out to be Wii. This left Sony and MS fighting it out for a secondary market of 'core gamers', which is what is causing many developers and publishers so much trouble because it is what it is, i.e. a secondary market, and simply doesn't have, nor will ever have, the installed base to accommodate the risk of HD development. Sure, you have a chance of profit, but this can easily be wiped out by increased losses from the bombs because the business model is so retardedly expensive.

You are flat out wrong. There IS a market for traditional games, and there ARE people wanting these games as an HD experience. If this wasn't the case, we wouldn't see roughly 44 million combined units of the 360 and PS3 sold. In fact, that is about equal to the Wii's userbase. So logically speaking if you consider it the wrong gameplan to sell an HD console, you would effectively be denouncing Nintendo's strategy that has got them the same success. The market sizes are virtually equivalent.

Another piece of evidence to demonstrate how wrong you are, games that are released for HD platforms can sell in the millions. One example is Fallout 3 which has sold over 4 million copies on the PS3, 360, and PC. If there wasn't any market for HD traditional games as you say...this would be impossible. FO3 isn't a strong console brand name (not like "Mario", for example), so selling this amount means that there is a receptive HD traditional gaming audience out there.

Obviously, ANY analyst or strategist would see that the best thing to do is to diversify to capture both markets. To discount one over the other is flat out wrong.

The other crippling mistake Sony made was not dropping the price this year. Wii is the closest thing to a PS2 type system, and will likely outsell it significantly, but there is a decent market for a certain kind of content on HD systems, but by not dropping the price this year, Sony has essentially said HELLO to 3rd place and given 2nd to 360 (which, imo it deserves because MS has worked and bled billions to get there), which I think is the point DeaconKnowledge was trying to make, but you were so eager to avoid. Sony has fucked up so magnificently it's begs belief!!!!

It's funny how you start by neglecting the price as a factor, and then list it here. I think it's safe to say that it was the PS3's biggest problem, right along with the 360 offering the same sorts of games at a much cheaper entry price point.

When it comes to hitting the jackpot of the mass market, having accessible games isn't the be all end all, there are many factors that must converge to create a successful product. Price is one thing, quality of product (quality of games) is another, and finally the sort of hype you can create is the 3rd.

2008 marks a year where Sony had an excellent 1st party lineup, but couldn't hype it up to the level of attention that I thought it deserved. The price is still at a prohibitive price point for the mass market, especially during this economic crisis.

nyong said:
Easily explained.

The PS3 is the only system that doesn't draw power through USB (and is thus 'on') when it's really 'off'

Wat?

This data is based on Nielsen surveys.

Eteric Rice said:
You can buy a PC.

And how many games have come out with tech that were designed specifically with PC gaming in mind? Yes PC games will achieve better graphics and performance than console games, but at the end of the day these upgrades are not significant enough due to the industry maintaining a standard around the level of what the current generation of consoles are capable of.

nyong

Banned
AniHawk said:
Bees are on the what now.

It was a poor attempt at a joke.

I'm a bit shocked if those poll results are accurate. Even if Wii wasn't primarily a fad I wouldn't expect more 'on' time than the PS3 in the average household. I'm skeptical to say the least.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
nyong said:

I'm a bit shocked if those poll results are accurate. Even if Wii wasn't primarily a fad I wouldn't expect more 'on' time than the PS3 in the average household. I'm skeptical to say the least.

Or maybe you are a bag full of misconceptions with only conjecture to back it up

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dark FaZe said:
And how many games have come out with tech that were designed specifically with PC gaming in mind? Yes PC games will achieve better graphics and performance than console games, but at the end of the day these upgrades are not significant enough due to the industry maintaining a standard around the level of what the current generation of consoles are capable of.

Better online? Mods? Wealth of control schemes?

Go319

nyong said:
Easily explained.

o_O

these are based on surveys!

gkryhewy

nyong said:

What the shit are you trying to say here, to ask the least?

nyong said:

What the fuck is the expiration date on a "fad"?

nyong

Banned
Go319 said:
o_O

these are based on surveys!

I'm skeptical because it's not at all what I would have expected. Mostly because I would have expected traditional gamers (and console owners) to take their hobby more seriously and invest more time in gaming. And like most polls, there is a potential for bias. I'm not necessarily doubting it entirely, though. It's shocking more than anything.

And HK-47, I never claimed to be right. I'm not an analyst. But looking at sales numbers it's fairly obvious (to me) that most Wii owners aren't buying many games for it, even if a lot are. It's all relative to the install base. It's hard to spin this otherwise. In fact, software is selling about what you would have expected (in general) from the Gamecube.

But realize that I'm separating the traditional Nintendo owners (and software buyers) from the new 'gamers' that purchased the system, who might or might not be purchasing titles for it. This is the only group I'm concerned with, and the only reason Nintendo is considered as taking the lead this generation.

If people are actually using the thing as much as the survey results state, and the survey is from a truly random sample of all Wii owners, then I'm wrong about them stuffing it into the closet. To say the least.

AniHawk

nyong said:
In fact, software is selling about what you would have expected (in general) from the Gamecube.

208.56 million GameCube games were sold between September 2001 and June 2008.

229.85 million Wii games were sold between November 2006 and September 2008.

ziran

nyong,
In this thread, you represent most of what is STUPID about forum sales discussions on all of the internets, so congrats!

FlightyF said:
The PS3 offers HD support, a wide variety of videogames that you will never see on the Wii (nothing on the Wii comparable to Gran Turismo, or even God of War, or Little Big Planet, or NHL 09, or...I can go forever here). The PS3 offers BluRay playback as well, the Wii will never be able to do that.

People want this stuff, but they can't afford it.
I think this is all irrelevant (and ultimately in the realm of bullshit), when it comes to what the majority of consumers (i.e. the mass market) wants, which is what I was talking about.

You must try actually reading and understanding what I wrote, because most of what you said reads as if you haven't taken it in.

Also, just for a bit of a clue, I didn't say PS3's price wasn't a factor, I said it wasn't the major factor for the system's failure to become a mass market darling. Price, however, is what's allowing 360 to take the secondary market away from PS3, because Sony's stupidity clearly knows no bounds this gen ;-)

nyong said:
I'm skeptical because it's not at all what I would have expected. Mostly because I would have expected traditional gamers (and console owners) to take their hobby more seriously and invest more time in gaming. And like most polls, there is a potential for bias. I'm not necessarily doubting it entirely, though. It's shocking more than anything.

And HK-47, I never claimed to be right. I'm not an analyst. But looking at sales numbers it's fairly obvious (to me) that most Wii owners aren't buying many games for it, even if a lot are. It's all relative to the install base. It's hard to spin this otherwise. In fact, software is selling about what you would have expected (in general) from the Gamecube.

But realize that I'm separating the traditional Nintendo owners (and software buyers) from the new 'gamers' that purchased the system, who might or might not be purchasing titles for it. This is the only group I'm concerned with, and the only reason Nintendo is considered as taking the lead this generation.

If people are actually using the thing as much as the survey results state, and the survey is from a truly random sample of all Wii owners, then I'm wrong about them stuffing it into the closet. At the very least.

First, the Wii is not "considered as taking the lead this gen. It is dominating both this gen and crushing records set by the PS2 last gen (at least in America). Along with the DS it is making Nintendo one of the most profitable companies in Japan. I'm pretty sure it's now in the top 3 but can't be bothered to look it up.

Second if new gamers are putting their Wii's away in their closets, then I want to know who the fuck is buying all those WiiFits. Some people on gaf better start making some confessions.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AniHawk said:

Pow! Right in the kisser.

Gaborn

nyong said:

If people are actually using the thing as much as the survey results state, and the survey is from a truly random sample of all Wii owners, then I'm wrong about them stuffing it into the closet. To say the least.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most attach rate numbers we have put the Wii's at SLIGHTLY higher than the PS3?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The fact that the fad thing still gets thrown around is kind of sad. The media did help in the beginning, but quite honestly why did you think that was?

Was it because of some conspiracy agenda the media had? No, it's because of the appeal.

The appeal was real, and that was first witnessed in E3 2006 where we saw incredibly long lines of people and just incredible interest in the machine with excellent feedback from the audience attending. From that it only confirmed itself once again when the Wii hit the streets. The media coverage was a response to that, not a trickle down and it quite frankly stopped shortly after launch. I followed this closely so you can trust me on this, although there's always been interest from the media the actual honeymoon was in 2006, ever since around January 2007 a lot of the coverage started being more about the sales, which included all systems, included very negative projections for the Wii. The PS3 started getting most of the positive coverage after that, I believe the sales data has made people numb to it and not realize it, but the PS3 has had a lot of positive coverage since early 2007 and the Wii much of the negative. But in 2006 the early media interest helped and the appeal was genuinely there. Wii just gives people something the other systems don't.

Back when Pong was going to be first released Nolan Bushnell tested the appeal of Pong in a Tavern. He remarked that during that first test people were baffled by the interactivity of the machine, people were more interested in their input being related to the output as people were used to the TV signal being transmitted from a studio. I think that sums up some of the excitement behind the Wii, it's just where our industry was founded. We're not Hollywood, we're not output land, even if we were confused sometimes we've ALWAYS been INTERACTIVE entertainment.

If you have fun with a product, and you have the most fun with it you're gonna share your excitement with other people. This is very important to the Wii's success, it's a very well made machine. Perhaps not the fastest, but just a very good product period beyond the boundaries of gaming.

nyong

Banned
AniHawk said:

I said 'in general.' Remove the outliers and look at it again.

Prior to this thread I wasn't aware that anything I thought was exactly new or controversial. I'll drop this conversation entirely at this point. I didn't mean to sidetrack the discussion this badly.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Dunlop said:
That app should have been LBP, Sony needed to make "sackboy" awareness at least 6 months before launch and then threw a marketing Blitz (think halo and mountain dew) leading up to the holidays.

Once they had the hype, offer it as a pack-in.

i don't get why people think that LBP would ever be the game to push people into buying such an expensive console, even if it was marketed 'properly'. even if sony were pushing the hell out of it, all most people see is a fairly standard platformer with some cutesy plush characters in it. it was hardly gonna set the world on fire.

totally anecdotal, but many of my mates were well aware of it 6 months+ before it came out; it had plenty of exposure. they also had zero interest in it, despite my attempts to hype it up.

AniHawk

nyong said:
I said 'in general.' Remove the outliers and look at it again.

Taking away every million seller the Wii had through September 2008, you get 113.35 million, which is still higher than the PS3's total sales through that time (94 million).

Not sure about 360 sales. I'm sure they're higher than Wii's by now, but if you're comparing both since launch, they might be even. This is, again, taking away the Wii's best sellers and comparing the rest to the other systems' total software sales.

EDIT: The only thing I could find is June 2007 numbers from a site called Xboxer.com. It said the attach ratio was something like 6.3:1 on a userbase of 11.6m. I don't doubt the 11.6m number, but the attach ratio might be off since I'm not sure if the site is reliable (though 6.3:1 does seem like a pretty accurate ratio). Also, this is about 3 months earlier than the PS3/Wii numbers. All that disclaimer out of the way, you wind up with 73.08 million pieces of software with a userbase of 11.6m and a software ratio of 6.3:1.

FightyF

Banned
ziran said:
I think this is all irrelevant (and ultimately in the realm of bullshit), when it comes to what the majority of consumers (i.e. the mass market) wants, which is what I was talking about.

And as I've demonstrated, there exists just as many HD console owners as Wii owners. You are talking about the "majority" when it hasn't yet been established that there is a majority.

You must try actually reading and understanding what I wrote, because most of what you said reads as if you haven't taken it in.

Funny you say this after making the comment you just did above.

What is in the realm of bullshit is you, ignoring the fact that 44 million HD consoles have sold, and thinking that going after that very active market is not worth going for.

You can't be MORE WRONG than that.

Secondly, let's take a look at HD games. Again. Yes, I went over it one time, but it seems like you aren't getting the point and thus ALL CAPS SENTENCES and repetition repetition repetition are in order here. heheh.

Gears 2 sold 1.6 million in November. CoD5 got nearly 1.4 million (2 million when combining both HD platforms).

Fact is, these guys who own HD consoles, they actually buy and play a variety of games.

To say that Sony made a mistake in going for this market, when it clearly has turned out so well for MS that Gears 2 sells more than any Wii game, IS FLAT OUT WRONG.

FightyF

Banned
Adumaha said:

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56331

1. Gears of War 2 (Epic, Xbox 360) - 1.56 million units*
2. Call of Duty: World at War (Treyarch, Xbox 360) - 1.41 million units*
3. Wii Play (Nintendo, Wii) - 796,000 units
4. Wii Fit (Nintendo, Wii) - 697,000 units
5. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo, Wii) - 637,000 units
6. Call of Duty: World at War (Treyarch, PS3) - 597,000 units
7. Guitar Hero World Tour (Vicarious Visions, Wii) - 475,000 units*
8. Left 4 Dead (Valve, Xbox 360) - 410,000 units
9. Resistance 2 (Insomniac, PS3) - 385,000 units*
10. Wii Music (Nintendo, Wii) - 297,000 units

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

FYI

Eteric Rice

FightyF said:
And as I've demonstrated, there exists just as many HD console owners as Wii owners. You are talking about the "majority" when it hasn't yet been established that there is a majority.

Funny you say this after making the comment you just did above.

What is in the realm of bullshit is you, ignoring the fact that 44 million HD consoles have sold, and thinking that going after that very active market is not worth going for.

You can't be MORE WRONG than that.

Secondly, let's take a look at HD games. Again. Yes, I went over it one time, but it seems like you aren't getting the point and thus ALL CAPS SENTENCES and repetition repetition repetition are in order here. heheh.

Gears 2 sold 1.6 million in November. CoD5 got nearly 1.4 million (2 million when combining both HD platforms).

Fact is, these guys who own HD consoles, they actually buy and play a variety of games.

To say that Sony made a mistake in going for this market, when it clearly has turned out so well for MS that Gears 2 sells more than any Wii game, IS FLAT OUT WRONG.

You're still assuming that...

1. Everyone that owns an HD console bought it because it's HD.
2. Everyone that owns an HD console plays it on an HDTV.

I can assure you, most who own a PS3 or 360 don't own HDTVs or just don't care.

Deku

Banned
For a console warrior, you know you're fucked when people start making up imaginary alliances and bundling sales into HD vs. Wii to win an argument.

I guess if we want it to be consistent, shouldn't it be HD/SD (including PS2,GC and Wii) ?

What a fucking mess on a new year's eve.

Grecco

If you want an explanation to that Nielsen survey that's not full of stupid is the possibility that there are alot of X360/Ps3 households. Theres alot of redundancy with HD "gamers". If they are playing on the 360 they wont be playing on the Ps3. (This redundancy also kind of explains why stuff like Resistance/Motorstorm/LBP ect just dont sell that well)

FightyF said:

Generally speaking, the largest share is called the majority, if one segment has more than 50%, which the Wii now has, that is generally called a 'supermajority' (ie, bigger than all other segments combined.)

This entire argument rests on lumping HD consoles together, which is a fantastic mental leap. The great deal of overlap between the console's libraries makes it easier to fold one highly expensive production into two products - but by no means does that make it automatically 'worth it' for all those publishers who find themselves locked into a high-investment, high-risk, 18-20 month HD game development cycle. We all know that the other end of the business, expenditure and risk, is what drives calculated investment. Clearly the big companies are doing relatively fine - but HD production was never supposed to be this expensive, and have so little rewards for so few. Ironically, lumping together HD consoles is what publishers are doing themselves, seeing the risk factor of doing an exclusive must make their skin crawl. Imagine developing a PS3 exclusive game right now - and you were being pushed for time and quality? Sony promises more sales over Christmas and they just.. don't.. come. You'd lay bricks.

FightyF said:

As Dr. Phil says, 'How's that working out for ya?'

pgtl_10

Zedsdeadbaby said:
If you want to play on PS2 games, buy a PS2. Not deciding to buy a PS3 because of lack of BC is silly. When you take the plunge for a PS3, it better be for the PS3 games. Come on man.

I want to eat my cake. Besides why should I choose one or the other when there is an option for both?

“PS3's biggest mistake wasn't price, it was coming to market with the wrong gameplan”

"the mass market wanted something new, which turned out to be Wii"

:lol :lol

FY 2001

Code:
Hardware/Software Unit sales (unit :million)

PS1 9.31/135

PS2 9.61/35.4

FY 2008

Code:
Hardware/Software Unit sales (unit :million)

PS2 13.73/154

PS3 9.24/57.9

"This left Sony and MS fighting it out for a secondary market of 'core gamers'"

:lol :lol

Hardware/Software Unit Sales (Oct ´05-Sep´08)

Code:
(unit :million)

PS2 39.62/527.4

Wii 34.55/229.85

360 22.5/n.a.

PS3 16.85/115.1

GC 2.43/39.05

cakefoo

Nobody understands the Nielsen chart, so let me cite something from another thread- Nielsen did the exact same kind of survey a year ago:
29e12y8.jpg

..only that time they also provided the average playtime per console. As you can see, the average PS3 was getting played comparable to the average 360. It's just that there were several times more 360's, so the total playtime shares were 5:1 in favor of the 360.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe this thread has gotten to the busting out graphs stage.

This thread is basically the shitty side of GAF in a nut-shell. It makes everyone look bad.

Sadist said:
(neutral) Tormentoso
His arguments are weak and his points are invalid
(Today, 01:18 AM)
Reply | Quote

Why is that sad? They just think the Wii has more value to offer. It's called perception.

Yeah my points are invalid,in special the one about the PS3 having something to play which is back up by this forum,who pick as game of the year MGS4 and second runner up LBP.

Eteric Rice

Tormentoso said:
Yeah my points are invalid,in special the one about the PS3 having something to play which is back up by this forum,who pick as game of the year MGS4 and second runner up LBP.

*facepalm*

Just stop it, please. You're making yourself look ridiculous.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tormentoso said:

...but tags never lie... I DON'T KNOW WHO TO BELIEVE
Sad01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom