• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ/TI: Amazon buys Twitch for over $1 billion after Google fall through

Cipherr

Oh so Twitch started blocking music on their own and not because of Google?

Who would've thought!!?

To be fair though, the Google buyout was pretty much reported as fact, not rumor. They fucked up at the table.

And they still implemented that to get bought out, so basically switch out Google for whoever buys them in the end

Im sure we will get 10 pages of complaining about Amazon killing Twitch then.
We won't
We all jumped to conclusions, some made themselves look silly in retrospect, own it.

Guess we are moving back to Twitch then. It was fun, Hitbox!

No sizable movement ever happened. Twitch has still been doing the same numbers it always has since that change was implemented. The idea that tons of people were leaving to hitbox is a freaking mirage.

pelican

Not true. Ex: Amazon Video not being on Android because Amazon are trying to push Kindle devices.

But I wouldn't expect Twitch to not remain platform agnostic, exclusivity to Kindle wouldn't make much sense.

Amazon have already stated the vanilla Amazon Video app for Android is well on the way - well at least for the UK market it is.

Im sure we will get 10 pages of complaining about Amazon killing Twitch then.
We won't
We all jumped to conclusions, some made themselves look silly in retrospect, own it.

We definitely would have gotten some if the roles were reversed, yo. Bank on it. The only people that need to hold the L are the people that reported it as fact, which were a whole lot of damn people

I remember hearing that they don't have an Android version of the movie streaming service that you get with Prime.

This is true, but it's pretty much the only thing. Amazon App Store is on general-purpose Android. Kindle and Comixology are on everything. Amazon Music is on everything. Prime Video is a weird outlier here.

Might want to add this to the OP:

Letter from the CEO August 25, 2014 Dear Twitch Community, It’s almost unbelievable that slightly more than 3 years ago, Twitch didn’t exist. The moment we launched, we knew we had stumbled across something special. But what followed surprised us as much as anyone else, and the impact it’s had on both the community and us has been truly profound. Your talent, your passion, your dedication to gaming, your memes, your brilliance - these have made Twitch what it is today. Every day, we strive to live up to the standard set by you, the community. We want to create the very best place to share your gaming and life online, and that mission continues to guide us. Together with you, we’ve found new ways of connecting developers and publishers with their fans. We’ve created a whole new kind of career that lets people make a living sharing their love of games. We’ve brought billions of hours of entertainment, laughter, joy and the occasional ragequit. I think we can all call that a pretty good start. Today, I’m pleased to announce we’ve been acquired by Amazon. We chose Amazon because they believe in our community, they share our values and long-term vision, and they want to help us get there faster. We’re keeping most everything the same: our office, our employees, our brand, and most importantly our independence. But with Amazon’s support we’ll have the resources to bring you an even better Twitch. I personally want to thank you, each and every member of the Twitch community, for what you’ve created. Thank you for putting your faith in us. Thank you for sticking with us through growing pains and stumbles. Thank you for bringing your very best to us and sharing it with the world. Thank you, from a group of gamers who never dreamed they’d get to help shape the face of the industry that we love so much. It’s dangerous to go alone. On behalf of myself and everyone else at Twitch, thank you for coming with us. Emmett Shear, CEO

http://www.twitch.tv/p/thankyou

mollipen

The press release:

SEATTLE—August 25, 2014—Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) today announced that it has reached an agreement to acquire Twitch Interactive, Inc., the leading live video platform for gamers. In July, more than 55 million unique visitors viewed more than 15 billion minutes of content on Twitch produced by more than 1 million broadcasters, including individual gamers, pro players, publishers, developers, media outlets, conventions and stadium-filling esports organizations.

“Broadcasting and watching gameplay is a global phenomenon and Twitch has built a platform that brings together tens of millions of people who watch billions of minutes of games each month – from The International, to breaking the world record for Mario, to gaming conferences like E3. And, amazingly, Twitch is only three years old,” said Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon.com. “Like Twitch, we obsess over customers and like to think differently, and we look forward to learning from them and helping them move even faster to build new services for the gaming community.”

“Amazon and Twitch optimize for our customers first and are both believers in the future of gaming,” said Twitch CEO Emmett Shear. “Being part of Amazon will let us do even more for our community. We will be able to create tools and services faster than we could have independently. This change will mean great things for our community, and will let us bring Twitch to even more people around the world.”

Twitch launched in June 2011 to focus exclusively on live video for gamers. Under the terms of the agreement, which has been approved by Twitch’s shareholders, Amazon will acquire all of the outstanding shares of Twitch for approximately $970 million in cash, as adjusted for the assumption of options and other items. Subject to customary closing conditions, the acquisition is expected to close in the second half of 2014.

I am ok with this. I feel like Amazon will give them more autonomy instead of shoehorning them into integrating with the rest of their services.

Mooreberg

I've never been much into watching live streams of anything outside of E3, but I don't think I'd be excited by this news if I were. Amazon is really strange with mobile applications. I don't see how they would handle this better than Google would.

syllogism

Now people are confused because they believed rumors.
The articles about the possible Google acquisition shouldn't be characterized as rumors, though some or even most of them should have been worded more carefully. It appears very likely that there was some kind of preliminary agreement on acquisition so they could finalize the details, but the deal fell through at a later stage for whatever reason. Any suggestions that the acquisition already happened were rumors, obviously.

It was reported as sold to Google, so I don't regret what I said one bit. If the report was false, not my fault :)

Still think RIP Twitch.

ScoopEE

Neo Member
Haven't we learned yet that games journalists are always in someone's pocket?

In this case, they were used by Twitch to drive up the asking price for Amazon under "confirmation" that Google was entering into a deal.

Right?

Is it possible that the internet outrage over the Twitch changes from a few weeks ago led to them choosing Amazon over Google? I wonder this myself, because Twitch began using that YouTube-like content ID system, which led to much backlash. Maybe they saw that Google buying them wouldn't be a good fit for their subscribers. Because from all accounts, the Google deal was set in stone... until today.

Is it possible that the internet outrage over the Twitch changes from a few weeks ago led to them choosing Amazon over Google? I wonder this myself, because Twitch began using that YouTube-like content ID system, which led to much backlash. Maybe they saw that Google buying them wouldn't be a good fit for their subscribers. Because from all accounts, the Google deal was set in stone... until today.

It was never set in stone, it was always internet rumor. And there is no proof at all that the content ID system was specifically due to Google, that was all speculation without any evidence. Particularly given that it's actually more draconian than the system used on YouTube.

Sakujou

Banned
what a major shocker!

i thought, google already sealed the deal, now i read this insane news. wow, i wonder what will happen now... srsly, amazon!?!?! this pretty much looks like a weird competition which will maybe come up... if there will be any competition.

Dawg

Nobody expects
the amazon acquisition

ittPunNgv9OC.gif

Yoda

Makes more sense for Amazon to purchase it as opposed to Google. Google hasn't shown interest in directly being a part of the games industry in the same fashion that Amazon has. Also Youtube can technically already do what Twitch does (to an extent) and they'd essentially be paying for Twitches audience base as opposed to its streaming tech; as opposed to Amazon which is only recently getting into online forms of media. Amazon wouldn't be any worse or better than Google from a copyright-software as it's essentially expected at any of the Silicon Valley giants and given how terribly the audio flagging system was put into place, it was clearly done on Twitch's own initiative as opposed to being a requirement for a deal.

Given the amount of cash Google initially offered I am curious as to what made them change their mind.

Beelzebubs

Can see why it'd be a good deal for amazon. You can advertise/gather information like Google would have done and they could change the client which would enable all the tracks from peoples streams to be purchased directly through twitch.

mitx

How did they ruin Comixology? Most comics drop to $1.99 after only a month, they have frequent .99c sales, and their comic reader has a single page view for portrait mode monitors.

Edit: I see they disabled in-app purchases which isn't a big deal for me since I only use Comixology on my PC with my second monitor in portrait mode. But I do understand this is a bummer for people that want to buy comics on their tablets.

The comixology iOS app was what brought me back to comics. It was super convenient way to buy and read them. The new way to buy comics is just no practical at all. To the point that I stopped buying comics from them just because of the inconvenience (and not in some form of protest).

Of course I understand the reasons to do this. Amazon didn't want to pay Apple 30% of those sales. It's perfectly legitimate and Twitch is a completely different website.

I am curious tough to know why amazon wants to buy them. The reasoning behind Google is pretty straightforward (more ads), but I don't see how Twitch fits in Amazon's business model

Finalow

this is surely great, anything is better than google.

I also thought that the deal with google was pretty much done but apparently not, thank you amazon.

Suspicious as to what Amazon wants with it. Whoever buys it needs to be platform agnostic. Don't want any priority given to Fire TV or anything

Amazon is on the playstation and xbox platforms. I gots no problem with this. Hell...love amazon. If their prime had as many shows as Netflix I'd have a prime membership.

Top Bottom