• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One hardware breakdown by ExtremeTech.com after HotChips reveal

Originally Posted by timlot
I would say the $100 more is for kinect, a superior online experience, superior UI, the ability multitask different media side by side, and yes tv and home theater integration. I'll eventually get a PS4, but right now it does nothing for me. Its just a more powerful "game system like all the ones before it. I'll turn it on when I want to play and turn it off when I wan't to watch tv. If I'm not playing its an expensive shelf ornament. In my teens and early twenties all I cared about was gaming, but for the $400-$600 that these things cost I need more functionality than that. So I like that MS is trying to move beyond that and bring more media integration into the livingroom. I see value in that.

I'm a 37 yo gamer who pretty much agree's with this maybe its cos i'm old. : )

I'm 35. I feel the same way. My wife and kids like Kinect. The entertainment features seem nice too. Of course, at my age I can easily afford and will buy every console in addition to having a gaming pc. In my 20's or teens I would have blindly went hardware specs first.
Now, I just don't care as much. As long as they are very close, I don't really care.

Both consoles will be in HD at near parity. That's really all I care about. If I really cared about graphics, I would only game on my pc. Consoles wouldn't even enter the discussion.

Back on topic, I feel like looking at raw specs is misleading. All the weird silicon and new APIs... I'm willing to give the Xbox One the benefit if the doubt. If it disappoints, I'll have a PS4 and pc to switch to as my preferred machine.

(1) My understanding was that all of Kinect's processing was located inside the Kinect box.

(2) CD has been absolutely brutal towards MS over the past couple years (at least), but to be honest I think it's less about one-sided vendettas and more about acerbic criticism being his writing "voice."

The audio block on the Xbox One has a unit in there that performs noise cancellation and some other stuff for Kinect. The audio processors are definitely available to devs, at least the parts that aren't reserved for Kinect.

Yeah, I was expecting something a bit rougher seeing as how those menus are dev-facing only (as far as I know).

Exactly my thoughts. The dev menus look way better than I was expecting.

Looks like just a Dev kit in the retail casing and not a supped up PC...Like both console makers are using to play unsigned code...Definitely not a retail cosole...

Xbox One dev kits and retail systems are one and the same. Well, these latest dev kits are at least.

heelo

Banned
The audio block on the Xbox One has a unit in there that performs noise cancellation and some other stuff for Kinect. The audio processors are definitely available to devs, at least the parts that aren't reserved for Kinect.

My understanding was that the reason Kinect 2 was so big and heavy (and has so many vents) is that it was doing all of its own processing on-board.

Is the audio processing a limited exception to this, or am I incorrect in my understanding?

My understanding was that the reason Kinect 2 was so big and heavy (and has so many vents) is that it was doing all of its own processing on-board.

Is the audio processing a limited exception to this, or am I incorrect in my understanding?

Well, the new Kinect is certainly packing more hardware in there to help it do its job, but there's definitely some dedicated hardware inside the actual console to help it along. Kinect is far less of a hindrance to overall system performance, however.

http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-next-generation-kinect-sensor/

Kinect’s CPU, GPU and memory usage on Durango are part of the system reservation.

http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-sound-of-tomorrow/

AVP (Audio Vector Processor)

The AVP supports vector float operations, and is designed primarily for MEC (multichannel echo cancellation) and other noise reduction for the next-generation Kinect audio input. It supports both speech recognition and chat/arbitrary audio input use. MEC and other noise reduction processing allow for a more intelligible stream of the player’s spoken audio data even from a far talk microphone that is typically positioned closer to the output speakers than to the player.

MS made a lot of good long term choices.

2) DDR 3 is mass produced and wont go anywhere for a long time. The quanities for it dwarf the quanities for gddr . The GDDR ram sony is using is cutting edge and thus will have a cutting edge price and avalibility. Price for high end ram takes a long time to go down

I've said it before , but I like the original idea of the xbox one and the new changes are still workable. I like the idea of being able to sit on my couch and not have to get up to change from bluray to game to Netflix to game to bluray again and so on. It may sound lazy but sometimes my friends and I jump through 3 different games in an hour depending on who jumps on and who has what. I don't want to constantly get up or constantly looking for the remote to change inputs.

Unless you're talking about the potential for MS to do a price cut on the XB1 sooner than Sony can for the PS4, the fact that GDDR's price taking a long time to come down is irrelevant. Even if MS makes a $100 price cut that will only bring them in line with PS4's price, so the cheapness/availability of DDR3 ram is NOT a point in their favor, especially since it led to the inclusion of the eSRAM which MAY have irrevocably crippled the system's power in relation to the PS4, forcing devs to find creative ways to program for it.

As for not wanting to "constantly get up [to change discs] or constantly look for the remote", that line of logic just seems completely absurd to me. You're really excited about the Kinect 2.0 just for voice commands so you don't have to get up to change discs, or to *gasp* actually pick up and use a remote to change inputs? I mean I know we 'Muricans are a lazy lot, but this takes lazyness to a whole different level.

I fully expect this country to look like Wall-E more than it already does in the very near future, just a bunch of 400lb blobs rolling around on motorized scooters, yelling "Xbox, order me a pizza!". I'm not saying that the overweight stereotype applies to you personally mind you. For all I know you could be 3% bodyfat gym rat with abs like some sort of coblestone pavement who could grind me into dust, and just prefer your TV-time to be 'lazy' time. But personally I think the trend to remove all physical activity from our day-to-day lives in the good ol' US of A is getting out of hand. I say this from the perspective of a Registered Nurse who takes care of people every day who don't bother to take care of themselves.

And before anyone cyber-stalks my gamertag on Xbox Live and says I must be one of those individuals myself just because of my gamerscore, know that I'm 6'1" and 185lbs (which is ideal body weight for my height, fyi). I spend 2 hours at the gym at least 3x a week, maintain a rather healthy lifestyle outside of my gaming habit. It just so happens that working nights, my nights off afford lots of gaming time since I have to stay awake all night anyway. One can only spend so much time in at the 24-hr gold's gym or cooking the next few days' lunches.

Disclaimer: I'm buying BOTH systems. I haven't owned a Sony console since the PS2, which I sold to get the OG Xbox at launch. If anything one would think I'm a MS fanboy because I've owned a total of Eight Xbox 360s. However, the logic that voice commands to change the channel and not having to get off your keester to change discs compensate for giving us an inferior system overall at a $100 premium is just absurd. I realize this probably isn't your ONLY reason for getting one obviously, but it really isn't even a bullet in the system's favor unless someone is supremely lazy. People keep touting the "TV integration", but it's nothing the 360 doesn't already do other than the HDMI pass-through, which is nothing more than a glorified input selector to begin with.

I've hated the XBone since its announcement. I feel like its a huge disaster and really don't want one for awhile. I can't figure out why anyone would.

Then.

Last night we had a get together with about 8 guys from work etc. played some Halo 4 on system link as everyone had gamer tags on jump drives. These are Xbox dudes that play COD, Halo and Battlefield (not really a gamer) but play those alot. I asked them and all but 1 guys told me xbox1!! They didn't care about ram, graphics, anything. They were all happy Xbox changed its DRM and really that was the only sticking point for them.

I had alot of good times on my 360 played mainly that this gen. I was pretty disapointed with the Xbox one reveal but with so many of my buddies grabbing one I will be out in the cold on alot of these game nights and stuff. I will probably end up with both.

I don't know why I posted this huge rant here.

Caayn

I've hated the XBone since its announcement. I feel like its a huge disaster and really don't want one for awhile. I can't figure out why anyone would.

Then.

Last night we had a get together with about 8 guys from work etc. played some Halo 4 on system link as everyone had gamer tags on jump drives. These are Xbox dudes that play COD, Halo and Battlefield (not really a gamer) but play those alot. I asked them and all but 1 guys told me xbox1!! They didn't care about ram, graphics, anything. They were all happy Xbox changed its DRM and really that was the only sticking point for them.

I had alot of good times on my 360 played mainly that this gen. I was pretty disapointed with the Xbox one reveal but with so many of my buddies grabbing one I will be out in the cold on alot of these game nights and stuff. I will probably end up with both.

You just posted the reason why casuals buy console X over console Y ;) They don't care for the specs, they want a console on which they can game together with other friends.

Ushae

Banned

Then.

Honestly you should base your purchase on.

- Online, friends and your experience last gen
- Games
- Controller

If your getting both, then good on you :)
Never let forums sway your mind. I've learnt that with video game reviews, some people simply don't like games you will like. The most important opinion is your own.

Top Bottom