• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One is back at $399. Lineup for crow pie => thataway

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexNovis

Banned
I'd hope not. Competition is good no matter what. Sony has pretty much slacked off since they're console has done so well even with no big games in the holidays.

Driveclub? Really?

Lbp is not a big enough game either to go up against what ms offered in the holidays, even with the shitty mcc launch.

Microsoft has constantly been updating and adding features to the xbox while Sony has only given us one. Messaging is still slow as hell, some ppl have issues with the store, friends list not loading either.

Sony has done nothing but smooth sail the first year. Granted Microsoft is playing catch up but they also slacked off the last few years last gen, hence why ps3 overtook them.

No need to mimic, but they shouldn't slack off either. SharePlay is great but that's the only major thing we got in the update. That and them breaking standby mode while also changing it to rest mode.

No hate, just calling it exactly how I see it. You want to force ps plus on your customers, you should improve your network with more updates.

Are you serious with this shit? Just stop. Stop shitting up this thread with your baseless console war bullshit. I mean my God could you be more obvious?

Smaller games aren't the games casual gamers on consoles tend to go for though. Call of Duty and Madden and FIFA and Ass Creed aren't selling to a purely hardcore userbase.

True to an extent. But it begs the question of if bite-sized versions of those games were made for disc-less, HDD-less (but still having SD card storage) units. Versions of those games designed around those missing features, but otherwise the internals are the same. I'm sure people who would normally wait to buy an XBO or PS4 during big price drops just to play those games...would go and buy versions of those systems that were already pretty cheap thanks to lack of those components.

I even said in the past that MS probably hasn't given up on an all-digital XBO; take out the drives and the only way to get the content is to go digital with everything. In this case though you have that version and the version that we have today, two very different mechanisms, and the one we have today being an out for people who don't want a DRM, all-digital future.

And, as long as the systems with a disc drive and HDD exist, I don't see why Sony couldn't do the same w/ a cheaper, more casual-friendly PS4 pushing all-digital. The choice is still there for the consumer.

Finally I did only just think about the idea of a $99 PS4 is still kind of ridiculous. But say a PS4 with half the RAM and OS multimedia features removed....just focused on indie/mid-tier gaming...launched right aside the $399 version....hell I'd go for that myself.

Maybe I'm just saying all of this b/c I want a pure gaming system again x3.

Plus bundle free games on top. It's more or less the same strategy that Sega used with the Sega Saturn, only that Microsoft has money.

Those of you who were gaming in the 90's like myself will know what I'm talking about.

I wasn't necessarily gaming "like that" back then (hell I got a Genesis when Saturn came out lol), but I've done the research to learn what happened. Like you said, it's the same, and MS has the money, so it's going to be very interesting to see how it plays out.

It's almost like an alternate reality...is becoming reality, itself.

finalflame

I'd pay $399 if there were any even remotely appealing exclusives. As someone who does not care for the Halo universe, or Forza, I cannot see a single reason to own an X1. As soon as that reason comes around, I'll jump, at $399 or otherwise. I'm sure many others are in the same mindset.

thuway

I'd pay $399 if there were any even remotely appealing exclusives. As someone who does not care for the Halo universe, or Forza, I cannot see a single reason to own an X1. As soon as that reason comes around, I'll jump, at $399 or otherwise. I'm sure many others are in the same mindset.

I shouldn't be trying to sell you on an Xbox One or a PS4, but the "list wars" are a good place to look. Quantum Break, Halo 5, Forza, Killer Instinct, and Gears. Also something by Rare, Fable Legends, Scalebound, and Crackdown 3. If that's your thing - than you should get an Xbox One. You are buying either machine - PS4 or X1 for their future titles. Right now (I own both and a gaming PC), both of them are more similar than different.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Are you serious with this shit? Just stop. Stop shitting up this thread with your baseless console war bullshit. I mean my God could you be more obvious?

He does have a point in that it would be nice to have the PlayStation 4 update a bit more frequently in firmware, but demanding it to happen is a bit too far. You also have to acknowledge that the Xbox One began several steps behind the PlayStation 4 in terms of system capabilities, and is only now surpassing Sony's console thanks to constant updates. Also firmware updates doesn't necessarily mean better console either.

Anyway, on the topic of the thread here in Australia EB Games is back to typical pricing of the Xbox One, but you can pick up a deal online that offers the Xbox One Assassin's Creed bundle plus Dragon Age: Inquisition for $499. Bundles are still quite common among other various stores so it doesn't seem too hard to get a good deal.

That the stem of my regret with the system. Jumped on a Titanfall deal, and then once I had my fill of that game there wasn't much else of interest at the time. Dead Rising 3 was ok, but have never played Forza or been much for racing games (I do own it though and need to at least give it a chance since I did so). Played 2 matches of the Halo 5 Beta and a few for Evolve (or was that mostly PS4?...did the Alpha on both), but otherwise it's just been taking up space on the entertainment center the past 5-6 months.

Worse feeling is that I probably could have finished my PC if I didn't get it and played Titanfall there, however anemic the community may be there.

finalflame

I shouldn't be trying to sell you on an Xbox One or a PS4, but the "list wars" are a good place to look. Quantum Break, Halo 5, Forza, Killer Instinct, and Gears. Also something by Rare, Fable Legends, Scalebound, and Crackdown 3. If that's your thing - than you should get an Xbox One. You are buying either machine - PS4 or X1 for their future titles. Right now (I own both and a gaming PC), both of them are more similar than different.

I currently own a PS4, WiiU and gaming PC this gen. I am totally open to the idea of owning an XBO, and honestly, Fable Legends might be what tips the scale. Unfortunately, I feel many of the games you mentioned (Halo 5, Forza, KI, Gears, Crackdown) appeal to the same "crowd", which does not align with my taste.

But you're right, it's not anyone's job but the manufacturer to sell anyone on a particular consoles. I just feel MS markedly appeals towards a certain segment of the gaming crowd pretty heavily, and must have-titles for the other end of the spectrum are few right now (the only one I can see is Sunset Overdrive, which I admittedly want to play pretty badly). As soon as some of those must have titles of this gen come around, I'll jump. I think many others will, too.

Last gen, with the 360, for me, those titles were things like: Lost Odyssey, Viva Piñata + Trouble in Paradise, Fable 2-3.

RexNovis

Banned
He does have a point in that it would be nice to have the PlayStation 4 update a bit more frequently in firmware, but demanding it to happen is a bit too far. You also have to acknowledge that the Xbox One began several steps behind the PlayStation 4 in terms of system capabilities, and is only now surpassing Sony's console thanks to constant updates. Also firmware updates doesn't necessarily mean better console either.

His point is meaningless to the topic at hand in the topic of the thread. All he did was come in and drop a baiting post hoping to incite some childish console war trollathon that's completely irrelevant to anything anyone else was talking about. This thread is about XB1 price reversion to $399 not about Sony "slacking off." Not to mention his posts are either hyperbolic or flat out lies. But I've already wasted ore time and thought than his contribution merits so I'll just leave it there.

Anyway, on the topic of the thread here in Australia EB Games is back to typical pricing of the Xbox One, but you can pick up a deal online that offers the Xbox One Assassin's Creed bundle plus Dragon Age: Inquisition for $499. Bundles are still quite common among other various stores so it doesn't seem too hard to get a good deal.

I hear the bundling in UK and AU is pretty aggressive. It seems to have forced a response discount campaign from Sony in the UK. But the primary market for Xbox has always been US so that's where their major sales focus is and where the majority of their sales are. SO the fact that they are reverting to their old price point following the holidays in the states is indeed a risky move and will likely result in an exceedingly sharp drop off in sales related to their competition.

Still think they've got momentum on their side though. The marketing won't let up, thats for sure.

It's going to have to let up for a bit. They could increase marketing on Sunset Overdrive, encourage Activision to keep running Advanced Warfare ads, and same with Ubisoft and Assassin's Creed Unity. They have opportunities with Evolve, but that's going to be a tough sell (despite how good I believe it will be as a whole). But there isn't much else in the near future afaik.

Will be interesting to see no less.

Sony should ensure they have some good marketing for The Order 1886 and Bloodborne. I will be pissed off, however ridiculous that may sound, if they do not. As safe as some say The Order is, it still needs marketing. Especially the crapshow it's had for folks like us until recently.
I thought FromSoft titles were relatively niche in the West, which I guess is wrong, but would love to see those games reach more and more people regardless and Bloodborne looks fantastic.

If people want to see those 11 month gaps (sort of weird to me, but ok), that's a good way to ensure it.

Wagram

Not a good time to be going back up in price when the best Sony exclusive is coming out in a short period of time. Microsoft will be fighting the entire generation for NA but they've lost worldwide where it actually counts.

It's going to have to let up for a bit. They could increase marketing on Sunset Overdrive, encourage Activision to keep running Advanced Warfare ads, and same with Ubisoft and Assassin's Creed Unity. They have opportunities with Evolve, but that's going to be a tough sell (despite how good I believe it will be as a whole). But there isn't much else in the near future afaik.

Will be interesting to see no less.

Sony should ensure they have some good marketing for The Order 1886 and Bloodborne. I will be pissed off, however ridiculous that may sound, if they do not. As safe as some say The Order is, it still needs marketing. Especially the crapshow it's had for folks like us until recently.
I thought FromSoft titles were relatively niche in the West, which I guess is wrong, but would love to see those games reach more and more people regardless and Bloodborne looks fantastic.

If people want to see those 11 month gaps (sort of weird to me, but ok), that's a good way to ensure it.

Sony has shown that they cannot compete with MS when it comes to marketing. When MS wants to be loud, they become deafening. If they see sales plummet again, they'll switch back to crazy mode.

Sony's got an insane lineup coming up though. Let's hope they get the recognition they deserve.

IF the sales plummet (which they will) it won't take too long for it to go back down.

I still do not comprehend the point of having a temporary price drop.

Friggin retarded! Either drop the price permanently or don't bother.

It's a sale. Like any other good sold in the world, occasional short-term changes in price are used to drive consumer interest.

Through a strong holiday season, the XBox ONE is now a more valuable product than it was before the sale - at the same price point. In Microsoft's eyes, that boost to value is worth the temporary January sales reaction - and the lost revenue from the discount.

I don't think most people were saying it would never happen, so much as saying that once it does MS will have to reverse it when sales tank.

That was my thought. I don't blame Microsoft for testing out to see if the new owners of consoles from November and December help alter the mindshare Sony owns. If the overall impressions of the new owners is very positive, then that could make the XB1 an attractive console over the PS4, even at the same price.

It's worth it to Microsoft to see how the public reacts. The number of sales in January and February they might lose over $50 is worth finding out where they stand when at the same price point as Sony.

There are plenty of reasons I would own an XB1 over a PS4 at the same price. They may not be the same reasons that people who already own PS4s would, but that's not who Microsoft is targeting. Form the moment they dropped the Kinect and started bundling games and running sales, I've felt it was an effort to lure 360 owners that have not upgraded to jump into next gen with the new Microsoft console.

When those that still play on the 360 see an increase in the number of their friends on XB1, it may still drive sales, even at $400. The key is if the impressions are strong enough that the XB1 is viewed as an equal or greater value than the PS4. And you don't find that out if you don't test it at the same price.

One thing Microsoft ought to do is not only show 360 owners which of their friends are playing on their XB1s, but they should start including what they are doing with their consoles. On top of showing them what games they could be playing, Microsoft added a lot of new apps. Seeing folks using Pandora and there new apps could also help market the XB1.

Sony has shown that they cannot compete with MS when it comes to marketing. When MS wants to be loud, they become deafening. If they see sales plummet again, they'll switch back to crazy mode.

Sony's got an insane lineup coming up though. Let's hope they get the recognition they deserve.

Well, as others pointed out (despite not what I was arguing about), marketing hasn't translated well for sales when it came to Titanfall. Which IMO was due to the $500 price point and lingerings of the bad word of mouth from Microsoft's terrible concepts and PR.

Marketing efforts this gen for each system afaik (exclusives and marketing exclusivity):

PS4
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Greatness Awaits spots (3 different ones? 2?)
  • Taco Bell
  • Little Big Planet 3
  • Destiny
  • Far Cry 4
Leaders: Greatness Awaits, LB3, Destiny

XBO
  • All in One spots
  • Titanfall
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  • Sunset Overdrive (Yes, there were tv spots to those who told me it had no marketing)
  • Halo: The Masterchief Collection
  • Assassin's Creed: Unity

Leaders: Titanfall, CODAW, ACU

Both seemed about equal in frequency, though relying on 3rd party software marketing deals than exclusives this holiday.

Sony isn't that strong with marketing its exclusives in the past though, yes. Vita was dropped fast (not that much effort was given in the first place) and everything for that is launched to die. Killzone 3 is the only exclusive series installment to be given some real marketing, and it wasn't much. Don't recall the Uncharted series, Infamous, Resistance, or the other Killzones (including Shadowfall) to be given attention. Not sure about God of War 3 or Ascension. Heavy Rain didn't get anything.

The Last of Us and maybe Beyond Two Souls are the only first party games from last gen I can recall clearly getting good marketing.

Edit: I remember Uncharted 3 and Infamous 2 as well. Uncharted wasn't as common as I recall, but Infamous 2 actually did get some decent marketing.

Of course, this is all anecdotal and people who watch a lot more tv than i do may have better knowledge.

Biker19

Banned

IMO, it's the advertising on SCEA's part that needs working on. SCEE (or SCEI) has no problem with advertising their stuff greatly in Europe.

I can still see XB1 getting drop soon in a month and MS has only US (and UK) this gen to be competitive. Sony does not care and they don't want to lose money by dropping price to match XB1 as they are fine with WW market share and their exclusives in first half will speak for their sales.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can still see XB1 getting drop soon in a month and MS has only US (and UK) this gen to be competitive. Sony does not care and they don't want to lose money by dropping price to match XB1 as they are fine with WW market share and their exclusives in first half will speak for their sales.

Sony does care. They've been strong in the UK and Europe, with price cuts and bundles to counter Xbox in November/December. SCEA are the ones that didn't seem to want to compete (or they weren't allowed to because of budget or possibly supply constraints)

Arsenic

• Official price drop at E3
• possibly a new model altogether
• Marketing campaign focusing on the price drop akin to Sony's $299 PS3 shit years ago

Price drops generates buzz and momentum needed for the fall season and holidays. If they left it at $349, they will have to cut it to $299 to generate essentially the same kind of buzz. Remember, this isnt to cater to you and I (we keep close watch on prices) its to grab the attention of the everyday COD player as Halo 5 comes to be released.

Its obviously a well-thought out plan for MS, and it will work most likely.

As someone said earlier in the thread, this is a proactive move rather than reactive.

Because there are just Halo and Forza on Xbox, amirite?

finalflame

Those are two of its biggest exclusive franchises by a long shot, yes. I also don't care for KI (or fighting games in general). The only game that seems halfway interesting (to me) is Sunset Overdrive, but by itself it is not enough to get me to buy the system.

Do you have any large contributions to the XBO's super attractive line-up for people who are not in love with Halo or Forza?

RexNovis

Banned
Those are two of its biggest exclusive franchises by a long shot, yes. I also don't care for KI (or fighting games in general). The only game that seems halfway interesting (to me) is Sunset Overdrive, but by itself it is not enough to get me to buy the system.

Do you have any large contributions to the XBO's super attractive line-up for people who are not in love with Halo or Forza?

They've got Cuphead and Ori and the Blind Forest coming up. BOth of those look fantastic but are also coming to PC I believe. Other than that I"m not sure what else might be of interest in 2015 that you couldn't get elsewhere.

thuway

To a large extent those are the "bigger" exclusives. Just like PS4 only has "InFamous" and "Killzone" and "Drive Club". Most people aren't going out of their way to play games like Knack, Dead Rising 3, Ryse etc.

Both machines are lacking strong AAA titles.

This reminds me of the early days of PS3 when people would try and act as if the Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, and InFamous could justify the PS3 premium. It wasn't until Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Killzone 2, and a SECOND Resistance did PS3 become worth buying.

finalflame

Yes, dozens, but I'm sure you'll shoot each of them down.

Really? Because I see:

Boom Ball for Kinect
Crimson Dragon
D4
Dance Central Spotlight
Fighter Within
Forza 5
Forza Horizon 2
Halo: MCC
Killer Instinct
Kinect Sports Rivals
Powerstar Golf
Shape Up
Sixty Second Shooter Prime
Sunset Overdrive
XBOX Fitness
Zombie Driver Ultimate Edition

That are currently released, according to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_games

I am interested in Sunset Overdrive. What other killer exclusives from this list are a fantastic value proposition that I am simply missing out on based on my lack of caring for Forza and Halo?

I am not making an argument that the XBO is not a system worth having. But, right now, unless you really care about Halo and Forza, it does not seem like a great value prop @ $399. Maybe this will change for a lot of people (including myself) once more information is released on games like QB, Fable Legends and Scalebound. But for now, it does not look attractive to me.

They've got Cuphead and Ori and the Blind Forest coming up. BOth of those look fantastic but are also coming to PC I believe. Other than that I"m not sure what else might be of interest in 2015 that you couldn't get elsewhere.

On my personal list are Quantum Break (tentatively), Fable Legends (tentatively), and Scalebound. Other than that, I don't see much else. I hope forthcoming announcements prove me wrong.

finalflame

To a large extent those are the "bigger" exclusives. Just like PS4 only has "InFamous" and "Killzone" and "Drive Club". Most people aren't going out of their way to play games like Knack, Dead Rising 3, Ryse etc.

Both machines are lacking strong AAA titles.

This reminds me of the early days of PS3 when people would try and act as if the Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, and InFamous could justify the PS3 premium. It wasn't until Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Killzone 2, and a SECOND Resistance did PS3 become worth buying.

Honestly, what has me excited about PS4 are games like Bloodborne, The Order: 1886, No Man's Sky, Rime, Persona 5, and the prospect of franchises like Ni No Kuni and Tales series returning. And The Last Guardian, if it still exists.

Unfortunately, titles in this vein don't seem to attract Microsoft's attention or are just averse to being on the XBO. I am not sure what it is, but I feel like XBO just pulls the crowd that is generally more interested in titles like GoW, Halo, and Forza, but many people are more interested in more diverse exclusives, generally available/locked down on Playstation or PS4.

I don't know if this is at the core of what makes the XBO less attractive to the masses, or drove sales down for the first 10 months of its life. But perhaps all it'll take is time, and the $399 price point will catch people. Based on my personal preferences, $399 just isn't a price I'd be willing to pay. But once more exclusives start to be shown/announced/etc, I will buy one, even at 399, in a heartbeat.

RexNovis

Banned
On my personal list are Quantum Break (tentatively), Fable Legends (tentatively), and Scalebound. Other than that, I don't see much else. I hope forthcoming announcements prove me wrong.

I forgot about Quantum Break so good call there but last I checked Fable BETA was confirmed for 2015 and Scalebound was 2016 or later. I thought we were talking specifically about 2015 titles.

IMHO Fable Legends looks pretty weak from what we've seen so far especially since it does away with everything that made previous Fable games Fable games in favor of a coop dungeon crawler of some sort. Quantum Break is interesting and certainly looks good with all the effects on screen but I wasn't a fan of Alan Wake at all so I'm a bit skeptical. Scalebound has loads of potential and i's platinum games so it will likely deliver in spades but it is a LONG way off.

Really? Because I see:

Boom Ball for Kinect
Crimson Dragon
D4
Dance Central Spotlight
Fighter Within
Forza 5
Forza Horizon 2
Halo: MCC
Killer Instinct
Kinect Sports Rivals
Powerstar Golf
Shape Up
Sixty Second Shooter Prime
Sunset Overdrive
XBOX Fitness
Zombie Driver Ultimate Edition

That are currently released, according to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_games

I am interested in Sunset Overdrive. What other killer exclusives from this list are a fantastic value proposition that I am simply missing out on based on my lack of caring for Forza and Halo?

Interesting, that's already quite a few more games than just Halo and Forza, isn't it? And there are several excellent games (and apps, in the case of Xbox Fitness) that are absolutely worth playing, and that have already sold many consoles. If you were to check the relevant threads, you'd see that some people have even bought the console just for one of those games, be it D4, Sunset, Horizon or something else entirely. Of course, of all those games, you're only interested in one of them, and not enough to buy the system. Color me not surprised.

Games that are not on that list are Xbox 360/Xbox One cross-releases like Zoo Tycoon, Forza Horizon 2 (which is quite a bit different than the Motorsport series, and has already made plenty of fans out of people who are normally not into racing games) or the upcoming Screamride and Happy Wars. All of those games are better on Xbox One, some significantly so (and some, like Horizon, are practically different games).

There are also no PC/Xbox One cross releases like the excellent Kalimba, Titanfall (which is apparently practically dead on PC in terms of multiplayer population), Ori, Cuphead, and a myriad of other existing and upcoming titles. Some people don't have a PC or simply prefer to game on consoles (I happen to be one of them).

There are no confirmed upcoming releases like, yes, Halo 5, but also Quantum Break, Fable Legends, Scalebound, Phantom Dust and Crackdown.

It lacks the smaller Japanese titles like Raiden IV, Chaos; Child or Psycho-Pass that are easy to import now. They are certainly not numerous, but there are some, and they have their small audience which is usually very hardcore.

Then there are all those games that have not been officially confirmed yet, but are strongly rumored or at least expected to be coming at some point. Banjo, Battletoads, and the Gears collection are almost a lock at this point, and there are more, like Halo Wars 2.

Finally, just like you're looking forward to the prospect of the next Ni No Kuni and Tales games (I am as well), some people are looking forward to the inevitable releases of Black Tusk's Gears games, next proper Fable or the future seasons of Killer Instinct. Some of us are just as excited to see what new IPs Microsoft's studios and their partners come up with.

There are already plenty of good reasons to have an Xbox One.

I am not making an argument that the XBO is not a system worth having. But, right now, unless you really care about Halo and Forza, it does not seem like a great value prop @ $399.

I vehemently disagree, and apparently millions of other people do, too. There are likewise not many PS4 exclusives that I personally want at the moment (although several are coming in 2015), but you won't see me making such silly blanket statements.

What agitates me w/ Sony's marketing is that...in this day and age...you don't even need to spend that much to market effectively. You just have to spend smartly. Sony needs to spend smartly when it comes to marketing. Do more stuff like the #4theplayers stuff, get product placement in popular shows, do theater ads in your own movies before they start! And when you do market...advertise your system's strengths! Try and convince people how little MS has faith in their own vision. Push your indie games!

Basically, just stop being so shy, leverage social media, leverage your own assets (music, films etc) and spend smartly. That shouldn't be very hard to do.

I'm pretty sure Sony cares.

Also if they were smart they'd price-cut around E3 to make way for a reasonably priced PS4+Morpheus bundle in the fall.

I think platform evangelists and fans of the industry want this to be a competition and less of a one sided victory lap. Sony was feeding Microsoft crow for the better half of current gen. Out of nowhere Microsoft threw everything at the wall and managed to outpace the PlayStation 4 and take back some pretty significant market share.

Also this new Microsoft has become very unpredictable. The Tomb Raider exclusivity, purchasing the Gears of War I.P., Quantum Break in the pipe line, and a refresh of big wigs has helped them win back some sort of consumer trust. It's hard to believe they won't do another gangbuster sometime in the future. They have the check book for it, but the big question is will it be worth it for the corporation as a whole to chase after the gaming market.
A few things....

1: "Take back some pretty significant market share?" C'mon, you should really qualify that kind of statement. WW terms XBO's gains this holiday in NA is like a margin-of-error amount. They needed-and need-something like 4+ million leads annually in NA and UK to just hope to get somewhat near 360's WW numbers. That will never happen unless Sony, by some miracle, exits the console market in a couple of years.

2: I honestly, honestly do not see why people keep assuming that just because MS has the money, and use it, that others will out-and-out take it. This may surprise y'all but money isn't the main reason for a lot of business deals. If MS offered SE money to buy them out, I'm 100% sure SE would decline. If they offered that to Rockstar, they would decline. EA? They'd decline, too....surprisingly. These guys don't want to be under MS's thumb, or any other company's thumb for that matter. That's why they exist as their own.

And if you're only talking single-game deals...again, money isn't the end-all, be-all. With that thinking TR should be a full (console)-exclusive, but it's only timed. Meanwhile SFV is a full (console) exclusive on PS4, and it's assumed Sony gave Capcom less money than MS gave SE (not to mention, the nature of that deal is very different).

So, why the disparity? Corporate cultures, business partners, personal relationships...all that stuff. It means just as much as money, in some cases much more.

I'm just tired of seeing the "checkbook" point thrown around like it's more powerful than it really is. The deals aren't made flippantly and there are developers/publishers who will never make those sort of deals with Microsoft due to ethical, personal and cultural reasons. Same with Sony, and Nintendo. Money isn't everything.

EatMyFace

Banned

Really? If Microsoft marketing is so good then why did it take multiple price cuts and bundles to outsell the PS4? Remember Titanfall? The marketing and hype for that was crazy yet PS4 won that month even with their "poor" marketing.

LSS: It's about price more than anything. Especially in the holidays when people are cheap.

Stanng243

After the way Microsoft marketed Dragon Age: Inquisition I am disappointed in them. They have all DLC coming first to their platform. I saw no advertisements at all for that incredible game. That was a game that deserved a huge marketing push, not silence.

See the issue with that list is that, if you didn't want a 360 for its lineup then you're not going to want a One. MS relies too damn much on the same franchises over and over. If you weren't a fan before you won't be now.

See the issue with that list is that, if you didn't want a 360 for its lineup then you're not going to want a One. MS relies too damn much on the same franchises over and over. If you weren't a fan before you won't be now.

Isn't that the same for any new console right now, though? On PS4 we have another Infamous, Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, and a remaster of The Last of Us. We're getting another Uncharted and will likely soon see a new God of War and GT as well. On Wii U we are getting tons of new installments in popular franchises.

Thuway's list was also missing a lot of new IPs and good smaller titles that have already been released and some that have yet to release. The Halo/Fable/Forza/Gears treadmill is just a weak way to argue that MS doesn't publish a good variety of titles. Also, a new Fable, Halo and Gears haven't even been released yet.

Too damn much is a pretty wild exaggeration.

It's not. I mean don't get me wrong, I loved SO this year and I'm going to love QB but that's just not enough. Yes, Sony also relies on established IP (UC,GT, GOW, etc) but just look at the amount of new IPs they're bringing in the next year alone.not to mention that we know a lot of their studios are also doing brand new IPs. Meanwhile, MS will have another year of Halo, Forza, Fable and probably a Gears collection thrown in there. I'd mention TR but that's clearly just timed.

My point is, they should really start doing something about that. They coasted with the 360 relying on third party support abd better sales in the US. They can't do that anymore. Heck, they just canceled one of their their big new IPs in favor of more Gears.

I really hope Rare is doing something interesting, but they've been dead for years.

Isn't that the same for any new console right now, though? On PS4 we have another Infamous, Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, and a remaster of The Last of Us. We're getting another Uncharted and will likely soon see a new God of War and GT as well. On Wii U we are getting tons of new installments in popular franchises.

Thuway's list was also missing a lot of new IPs and good smaller titles that have already been released and some that have yet to release. The Halo/Fable/Forza/Gears treadmill is just a weak way to argue that MS doesn't publish a good variety of titles. Also, a new Fable, Halo and Gears haven't even been released yet.

Yea, right now, but I'm pooking towards next year. In Feb. Alone Sony launching two new IPs. If we include Downloadable titles that list grows much more.

I think MS can change this but they need to prove it. They need to really up the first party support because they can't just rely on third party multiplats selling the X1 (they sell PS4s more now).

I personally jumped in for SO and the MCC, and I'm satisfied with the console but I'm not the average consumer

It's not. I mean don't get me wrong, I loved SO this year and I'm going to love QB but that's just not enough. Yes, Sony also relies on established IP (UC,GT, GOW, etc) but just look at the amount of new IPs they're bringing in the next year alone.not to mention that we know a lot of their studios are also doing brand new IPs. Meanwhile, MS will have another year of Halo, Forza, Fable and probably a Gears collection thrown in there. I'd mention TR but that's clearly just timed.

My point is, they should really start doing something about that. They coasted with the 360 relying on third party support abd better sales in the US. They can't do that anymore. Heck, they just canceled one of their their big new IPs in favor of more Gears.

I really hope Rare is doing something interesting, but they've been dead for years.

So, unless I'm misreading your post, you're looking at all new IP for Sony (including digital only titles) but focusing solely on retail for X1?

Or do you only count games that are exclusive to the platform and won't appear anywhere else?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I vehemently disagree, and apparently millions of other people do, too. There are likewise not many PS4 exclusives that I personally want at the moment (although several are coming in 2015), but you won't see me making such silly blanket statements.

Millions of people will buy anything, that is not a good argument.

The argument he made is valid. If you are not interested Halo-Forza-Gears games, the XB1 is just a weaker PS4. Of course if you are not interested in Sony IP, then at least you get the best multi-platform console for the same $399.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom