• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

AP90

Think GameStop would let people pickup there orders early.. Aka today, even though the official release is tomorrow 8/2?

TRios Zen

Added a picture to make the depth difference between the PS4 and XB1 S clearer.

Tanks for the pics; wasn't going to affect my purchase one way or another as the comparison isn't a big deal to me, but nice to see how it relates in scale regardless.

Fox Mulder

Separate purchase. Just get Eneloops. I much prefer an Xbox controller with those to my PS4 pad, honestly.

Yep. The ps4 battery is a joke and I even replaced it with a bigger one.

I love being able to just pop two fresh recharged AAs in the xb1 controller and get back in seconds.

Curious to know if they'll be restocking the 2TB in the UK?

Sold out everywhere and nobody seems to know if they're getting more

I work at a hub warehouse for Argos and we haven't had any word yet

Dude in GAME told me they would get more but maybe not until Xmas. Take that for what it's worth...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Will grab one one it comes out in Blue or there's a Forza Horizon 3 bundle, whichever comes first - though I suspect the latter.

Noobcraft

So for the actual consoles, in terms of volume:
PS4: ~4413 cm³
Xbox One S: ~4444 cm³
But the actual footprint of the consoles favors the Xbox One S because it doesnt waste space with the slanted edges. My measurements didn't include the slight indent on the bottom of the Xbox One S (slightly lower volume) and it didn't consider the overhangs that significantly increase the PS4 footprint.

DirtyLarry

Potentially dumb question which I am sure has already been covered...
Will the Elite Controller still work on the Slim wirelessly? I see that the new controller for the Slim utilizes Bluetooth, so is it only Bluetooth moving forward or both?

Ushay

Xbox One Halo 5 edition - FW 1608.160729-1700
45w - dashboard - no disc
99w - Forza Motorsport 6 Forzavista

Xbox One S - FW 1608.160725-1822
31w - dashboard - no disc
64w - Forza Motorsport 6 Forzavista

The Netherlands.
Video settings are detailed in this and this video. As for audio, I don't see any new settings.

Wow that's quite the improvement!

MrBenchmark

Will the Elite Controller still work on the Slim wirelessly? I see that the new controller for the Slim utilizes Bluetooth, so is it only Bluetooth moving forward or both?

everything works the same the bluetooth in the new controllers is for PC use.

Noobcraft

Yes. The Xbox One S doesn't connect to controllers using Bluetooth, it uses the same wifi that the Xbox One uses. Bluetooth in the new controllers is there to make it easier to use Xbox One controllers on other devices (PC).

Caayn

So quick impressions so far:

The system is silent. I can't say if it's better than the original XB1 at that because my hearing isn't that precise. I don't hear either console running, even in game.

Either 4K + 30bits / 36 bits output is broking or the full RGB range is finally fixed. Would be cool if DF or someone with more technical knowledge could chime in on this. Edit: (I'm going with the 4K + 30bits / 36 bits is broken)

I don't notice any note worthy improvements on the dashboard that I can't make sure aren't placebo effects. Edit: The settings menu and the guide feel faster.

DirtyLarry

everything works the same the bluetooth in the new controllers is for PC use.

Yes. The Xbox One S doesn't connect to controllers using Bluetooth, it uses the same wifi that the Xbox One uses. Bluetooth in the new controllers is there to make it easier to use Xbox One controllers on other devices (PC).
Thanks for the confirmation. I just saw the mention of Bluetooth in a bullet point on the Amazon page and wanted to make sure. Did not think they would make the old controllers useless.

Genio88

As a Xbox One day one owner, i think this Xbox One S is definitely better inside, with 4k output, HDR, internal power brick, and of course is pretty smaller, though outside it looks "cheaper" than the standard Xbox One, that physical power button instead of soft touch is more to contain building costs as much as they can rather than improving it, also the full texured body is not even close to original Xbox One glass plastic finish, and overall to me the old Xbox One is so much better to see and looks way more premium than this, even though it's way way bigger

icespide

Banned
As a Xbox One day one owner, i think this Xbox One S is definitely better inside, with 4k output, HDR, internal power brick, and of course is pretty smaller, though outside it looks "cheaper" than the standard Xbox One, that physical power button instead of soft touch is more to contain building costs as much as they can rather than improving it, also the full texured body is not even close to original Xbox One glass plastic finish, and overall to me the old Xbox One is so much better to see and looks way more premium than this, even though it's way way bigger
soft buttons to physical buttons is a huge improvement IMO

etta

my hard graphic balls
So quick impressions so far:

The system is silent. I can't say if it's better than the original XB1 at that because my hearing isn't that precise. I don't hear either console running, even in game.

Either 4K + 30bits / 36 bits output is broking or the full RGB range is finally fixed. Would be cool if DF or someone with more technical knowledge could chime in on this. Edit: (I'm going with the 4K + 30bits / 36 bits is broken)

I don't notice any note worthy improvements on the dashboard that I can't make sure aren't placebo effects. Edit: The settings menu and the guide feel faster.
Interesting, interesting. I wonder if the RGB range being broken was due to a hardware issue?
Man, it's gonna be exciting seeing DF tear this down top to bottom, analyze everything.

why is that its been a trend to move from heat/motion etc buttons in the first revision then just become regular buttons in later models? i just want to turn the damn thing on! fuck the fancy touch sensitive stuff,lol

Impulsor

Wtf?
S4ifvDD.jpg

What do I do?

thenexus6

I am jealous that Microsoft are able to make almost completely silent consoles while the PS4 sounds like a jet most of the time.

Caayn

Controller impressions:

The facebuttons are a little raised. Sticks feel a tiny bit stiffer. Guide button is lowered a bit so that's no longer raised above the plastic of the controller.
Wtf?
S4ifvDD.jpg

What do I do?
Have you enabled deep colour* on your TV?

HDMI Ultra HD deep colour is what it's called on my TV. I needed to enable it in order to get every checkbox.

Colbert

Banned
soft buttons to physical buttons is a huge improvement IMO

A physical button is more pets friendly.

Just ask owners of cats when they "touched" the button on the OG XB1 while you were in the middle of a game like an incursion in the The Division. Not funny!

MS already mentioned in an interview that those pet-issues were one of the reasons to go back to a physical button again!

etta

my hard graphic balls
My tb is a Samsung UE55KS9000.

It supports all that for sure.

The console. Is directly connected to the TV with the included hdmi cable.
Go through settings and take pictures of all the options so we can figure out what needs to be turned off or on. Some settings are really indirect and obscure, requiring you to turn them off just so you can turn on a different setting that needs to be enabled for a certain feature to work.

Hesemonni

Banned
Xbox One Halo 5 edition - FW 1608.160729-1700
45w - dashboard - no disc
99w - Forza Motorsport 6 Forzavista

Xbox One S - FW 1608.160725-1822
31w - dashboard - no disc
64w - Forza Motorsport 6 Forzavista
Much appreciated. How would you describe the sound level compared to old Xbone? Also, anyway chance to test the load times on external HDD? Usb 3.0 if possible?

E: Sorry didn't notice the noise impressions a bit back.

Colbert

Banned
Wtf?
S4ifvDD.jpg

What do I do?

You should lookup your TV model and go to avsforums.com to get more help. Posting your TV model here would help also, so people can help you out.

Without knowing your model the root cause for your issues can be anything from cable you use, your TV settings or the HDMI port you used.

Impulsor

Go through settings and take pictures of all the options so we can figure out what needs to be turned off or on. Some settings are really indirect and obscure, requiring you to turn them off just so you can turn on a different setting that needs to be enabled for a certain feature to work.
Found it, I had to enable that option you guys mentioned about deep color and what not. It's called HDMI UHD COLOR on my tv.

Thanks, I was going paranoid.

GRaider81

looking at comparison pics, really nice looking console actually, dare i say the nicest so far.......

LOL at the OG xbone size! Didn't have mine long but i had forgotten just how monstrous that thing is!

CpRBe

Neo Member
Quick question :

I have a Xbox One Elite with a USB HDD for games and i have also a 4K TV but no HDR.

Should i upgrade to the Xbox One S ? I really love the design :)

Thanks in advance ;)

Elixist

that its even quieter than the bone is impressive(with internal psu as well). the overall aesthetic for me is 7/10 the dots all over are eh, but i like the ps2esque geometry of the box.

So with my current entertainment center, I should be able to have about half an inch of clearance for ventilation on either side of the console. Do you all think that'll be enough to keep it from overheating?

(I can say for sure it's not enough for my regular Xbox One, which stutters playing Blurays and DVDs)

Edit: just to clarify, it's an Ikea Kallax shelf, so the 13"x13" only just barely fits the standard Xbox One

thenameDS

For those that have the controller and have previously had the older ones, does it feel cheaper? My friend that works in GAME says it feels more plastic and cheaper built than the White Lunar one.

wondermega

Excited to pick up that new controller. I'm assuming most stores aren't gonna break the street date for the release of either, eh? (Like waiting 1 extra day will kill me...)

I've been looking to replace my XB360 controller which I've been using for almost eight years on my PC for like a year now, how much of an improvement is the new reversion of the controller over the earlier XBO versions like the black (which is currently $42.04) one on Amazon?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man I am trying not to do impulse purchase lol

There is nothing wrong with my launch XOne, at least canadian pricing is doing decent job of not making me want to get it right away.

But man, this thing looks gorgeous.

Top Bottom