• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One specs from Hot Chips session (8GB Flash, 1.31TFlops, 204GB/s peak BW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatline

Banned
Guys c'mon - has there been a single console outside the Gamecube in recent memory that didn't use theoretical bullcrap numbers in PR releases?

Yes, PS4 has those too. But this number is off the charts in the bullshit scale, Microsoft just invented a whole new way of bullshiting.

Its because aside from handy wavey new age bullshit, nothing in the article suggests any real evidence. Until you show us _HOW_ they achieved this, the evidence is near nill.

Also.

'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence'

they barely have any evidence let alone extraordinary evidence.

Exactly.

The Flash

Banned
eHYBLcw.gif

lS3LWE3.gif

tumblr_lryokrfoFe1qdv1k2.gif

That's kind of a straw man argument, don't you think? So because there is an inability to counter the evidence with what he rightfully points out is stated in that article, and now apparently supported by an official hot chips presentation from Microsoft on the Xbox One Silicon, you've resorted to piling on him to name or describe a technique that very few, or none, discussing this matter currently are capable of understanding just to shift the discussion away from the points he has made.

And I'm simply asking in response to that how can any of us possibly know for certain that Microsoft didn't build these capabilities into the chip in the first place? We have never known or understood with any sort of low level depth how Microsoft built or designed the various parts of the Xbox One, least of which the ESRAM. If their hot chips presentation is to be believed, and the information DF presented in that article about the X1's ESRAM really has been communicated to game developers (lying to developers you need to make games on your system is never good of course), then doesn't the prospects that Microsoft might actually be telling us the truth about the ESRAM occur in the slightest? It can't always be that they are lying to everybody. The main point is what do they gain at this point? The ESRAM bandwidth does nothing to change the well known advantages that the PS4 is already known to possess.

And no, it's not a strawman. They arrived at a number for their bandwidth.

Even assuming that they get double the performance (somehow) they'd get to 218 GB/s... but it doesn't.

They got 204... with a base of 109 GB/s.

Chobel

That's kind of a straw man argument, don't you think? So because there is an inability to counter the evidence with what he rightfully points out is stated in that article, and now apparently supported by an official hot chips presentation from Microsoft on the Xbox One Silicon, you've resorted to piling on him to name or describe a technique that very few, or none, discussing this matter currently are capable of understanding just to shift the discussion away from the points he has made.

Till now, there was no way to do write/read simultaneously without dual bus. What MS did is something revolutionary, a technology break-through not even the manufacturer of eSRAM could do it. But yet no buzz around it, no patents, no shit so you have understand why it raises so many suspicions about MS.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
something that most GPU memory controllers now days do for free.

See this.

http://fgiesen.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/texture-tiling-and-swizzling/

Be careful, Swizzle is used for multiple different definitions and this likely isn't the one they are referring to.

The fact that they specifically state Swizzle Copy on the diagram, and have been referred to previously as Move Engines points to them referencing what Microsoft call "Source Register Swizzling" - used to copy data to a temporary register.

See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb219869(v=vs.85).aspx

Flatline

Banned
Cerny presented those numbers before MS came out with those new bandwidth numbers.

Microsoft was randomly adding different RAM bandwidths way before Cerny's presentation. It was just not specifically for the ESRAM. What they've done with the ESRAM is a new low.

KidBeta

Be careful, Swizzle is used for multiple different definitions and this likely isn't the one they are referring to.

The fact that they specifically state Swizzle Copy on the diagram, and have been referred to previously as Move Engines points to them referencing what Microsoft call "Source Register Swizzling" - used to copy data to a temporary register.

See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb219869(v=vs.85).aspx

This looks nearly identical to texture swizzling.

Tabular

Banned
no we have not...the closest thing we have to any kind of confirmation of multiplat performance is the NFS dev (i believe) tweeting that one of the console versions looks better than the other...that was then retweeted by Shu....

Lol... that's classy Shu for you!!!

no we have not...the closest thing we have to any kind of confirmation of multiplat performance is the NFS dev (i believe) tweeting that one of the console versions looks better than the other...that was then retweeted by Shu....

Add to that the fact that every third party display shown at Gamescom (from what I saw in countless pics) showed only the PS4 (or devkit) or PC version.

Krakn3Dfx

Was it confirmed that he talked about the PS4 version? I mean... It's obvious but not yet confirmed. ;)

Yoshida tweeted about the article. I dunno if that means anything, but at the same time, if a Sony exec is pointing out an article that's mentioning the power of one console over another, it's not a stretch to believe that Sony exec who has been onsite for most/all of these game demos knows more than we do.

Bsigg12

Bustin out my Reiko brand tin foil hat:

Is there a reason why the SoC is referred to the "Main SoC"? Wouldn't that imply there's something else as well?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
OKEY DOKE

This thread took a right turn into hilariousville and that's great and all...but a real discussion would be nice.

So let's start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom