• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

lol, I'm honestly confused by responses like this. Assuming you're already paying for it, why not plug it in and use whatever benefits it does happen to offer? It's not solely a "herp derp wave your arms around" device.

Or is this just another version of the "I don't want anyone watching/listening to me" criticism?

That's great for all the paranoids out there who like to play with their dicks out and are sure there's people watching / listening to them all day.
Eh.

I wish to disconnect the kinect because of the target advertising that MS have alluded to

Why should my $500 console make money off of me watching TV through it?

Especially if I have to subscribe to gold to watch said TV?

I want an X1 but not a kinect and not for $500

I'll buy one used next year for Halo and maybe Dead Rising 3

eastmen

Banned
We still believe in Kinect. We aren’t interested in splitting the development base. The more demos I’ve seen, the more I’ve used it – the more impressed I am. The team feels strongly about Kinect, and I hope we’re able to prove that when you use it.

We also have a ton of privacy settings to allow people to turn off the camera, or microphones, or put it in a state just for “Xbox On” and IR blasting – there will be a lot of user control for that.

The thing we all understood, and hence this change, is that there are some scenarios where people just may not be comfortable. We wanted people to be 100% comfortable, so we allow the sensor to be unplugged. And clearly the “it dropped” scenario is possible.

The most obvious thing is watching a DVD/BD, or streaming a movie, or HDMI pass-through, your experience isn’t impacted (except you miss voice and IR blasting)

There is no “gotcha”, but obviously, if there is a game that REQUIRES Kinect (like Rivals), or something where Kinect IS the experience (like Skype), those won’t work.

That said, for people who have privacy concerns there are user control settings, which we believe are great.

Albert can you guys talk about if the one will be a windows media extender ? If it isn't theres no reason for me to buy it.

RoKKeR

We still believe in Kinect. We aren’t interested in splitting the development base. The more demos I’ve seen, the more I’ve used it – the more impressed I am. The team feels strongly about Kinect, and I hope we’re able to prove that when you use it.

We also have a ton of privacy settings to allow people to turn off the camera, or microphones, or put it in a state just for “Xbox On” and IR blasting – there will be a lot of user control for that.

The thing we all understood, and hence this change, is that there are some scenarios where people just may not be comfortable. We wanted people to be 100% comfortable, so we allow the sensor to be unplugged. And clearly the “it dropped” scenario is possible.

The most obvious thing is watching a DVD/BD, or streaming a movie, or HDMI pass-through, your experience isn’t impacted (except you miss voice and IR blasting)

There is no “gotcha”, but obviously, if there is a game that REQUIRES Kinect (like Rivals), or something where Kinect IS the experience (like Skype), those won’t work.

That said, for people who have privacy concerns there are user control settings, which we believe are great.

Thanks for the post, and thanks further for the changes; it has put a lot of my concerns about Kinect to bed. That said, I've yet to see a demo of an actual game that convinces me of the Kinect's improved power. The tech demos are great, but they haven't translated to new gameplay experiences yet.

No Kinect-less model then.

KoopaTheCasual

I still like it being packed with every system, gives devs that assurance and automatically lets them know the market size.

Yep, and now people can rest easy with their concerns to privacy. It's a win-win. I just wonder why it took so long for this to happen. It's pretty crazy that a peripheral NOT being mandatory is now qualified as a megaton.

RussellXV

A Kinect-less package seems possible, but is it too late for launch? Pre-orders should be sold out by now and it doesn't seem like more X1s can be made in time for launch. Another option is to delay the release, maybe into December. IMO, not a bad option. MS can have a $399 package and a complete version of Forza 5.

oVerde

Banned

He later clarified in a more recent post on the subreddit that he meant R&D costs, not manufacturing costs.

Yeah right, "as much as the console to make", so it adds exactly a hundred bucks to and 499 console.
Sorry mate, as stated the costs where about engineering Kinect 2 not the manufacturing.

And again, stop demanding a Kinectless version, I don't want Developers and Publishers to see the userbase splited as over X360.

edit: I a buch of grammar, and won't fix it.

Nymphae

Banned
I really really hope they don't create a bundle without Kinect. When developers know for sure that every One owner is also a Kinect owner, they'll have an incentive to create great Kinect games or games with creative and interesting use of the device. That wasn't the case on the 360.

Force consumers to pay for a shitty piece of technology, in the hopes that the mass adoption will kickstart devs into making something that makes it worth the asking price?

So you're telling me I can never plug that in from the moment I take it out of the box if I want to?

Oppo

I really really hope they don't create a bundle without Kinect. When developers know for sure that every One owner is also a Kinect owner, they'll have an incentive to create great Kinect games or games with creative and interesting use of the device. That wasn't the case on the 360.

And I'm for it, because they had lots of incentive before to make Kinect software, and only a few interesting possibilities came out of it. I'll happily eat crow on the new Kinect proves to be a breakthrough but so far I'm just not seeing any use cases outside of dancing and fitness.

Heck even Fantasia could easily adapt to the Leap thingy. Because, y'know, hand dancing.

That said, like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn’t plugged in, although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor.

So really, the entire point of this thread is built around this one sentence. The company who put the DVR and Internet Explorer behind a paywall, and you think you'll be able to play games simply because they say "the console will still function"? Have you TRIED to use an Xbox 360 without Gold? It barely functions, but still technically does.

Well, Jesus. You're answering this crap better than whoever writes this PR fluff.

Thanks Albert! Can't wait for that price drop announcement at Gamescom :p

Ghazi

Thanks for the heads up, sounds great!

SgtCobra

We all skipped over this post because it's so ridiculous so I'd LOVE to hear the rationale behind this.
Who is we, are you representing the whole forum? Nice to meet you mister NeoGAF.
Don't you agree that if a Kinect-less XB1 priced at 299 gets revealed it would "win" (sales wise)from the competition solely because of the price? Tell me it ain't so.
And with all those 180's it would be logical for them to reveal a kinect-less XB1, it's not guaranteed but still possible.

We all skipped over this post because it's so ridiculous so I'd LOVE to hear the rationale behind this.
I think he is right. At the same price point and very similar architecture, you would have to look at the games being offered. And for me, the XBO launch line up is WAY BETTER than the one for PS4.

You just sold me an Xbox One. Now pre-ordered. Hope you get the commission.

The Flash

Banned

Stay classy Penello

Thank you for the confirmation Albert! Was this a recent change or was the Xbox One designed to work without kinect plugged in from day one?

Again cant thank you enough, will buy an Xbone now.

Garjon

Better confirmation.

Thanks so much Al.

2San

Thanks for the clarification. I think the Kinect is cool.

calder

Well thank god it is a change and not just a 3ish month long misunderstanding, because if it had turned out that MS simply hadn't understood the question for this long it would have been a thousand times worse. ;)

stktt

Banned

Thanks for clarifying.

VanWinkle

Who is we, are you representing the whole forum? Nice to meet you mister NeoGAF.
Don't you agree that if a Kinect-less XB1 priced at 299 gets revealed it would "win" (sales wise)from the competition solely because of the price? Tell me it ain't so.
And with all those 180 it would be logical for them to reveal a kinect-less XB1, it's not guaranteed but still possible.

Why on earth do you think it would be $299?

Can you comment at all about the targeted advertising/data collection alluded to in this article?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/07/microsoft-xbox-one-advertising-will-integrate-with-kinect/

This was my biggest complaint with the kinect

Might actually use it assuming there are guarantees about this

As soon as MS unbundles Kinect the Xbox One will officially be a PS4-lite and there will be practically no reason to buy it other than a handful of exclusive 1st party games (which mainstream consumers don't care about).

What is the point in trying to copy PS4 so closely? Really shows Microsoft has no confidence in the platform they envisioned or they feel the price war is going to compel them to unbundle Kinect eventually. Can't win by being a follower.

Too bad the Xbox team that made broadband and HDD standards on consoles isn't still around. This Xbox team has lost it's backbone and now follows Sony around like a lost puppy.

thank you sir. Much appreciated. You have been doing an amazing job at keeping us informed. Thank you for your work.

KoopaTheCasual

Xbox One WITH Kinect $399 announcement incoming

About as likely as a PS4 & PSVita bundle for $499. Would be amazing, but would never ever ever happen at launch. No chance. If it does, call me the Crow King, for I shall feast upon the carcasses of so many crows, that I will be imbued with their divine power.

But I really want to be wrong

VanWinkle

I think he is right. At the same price point and very similar architecture, you would have to look at the games being offered. And for me, the XBO launch line up is WAY BETTER than the one for PS4.

There's one more game exclusive announced for the XBOX One than the PS4, and we don't know the quality of any of them except Forza which will probably be good.

That's quite a bit different than an optional external $100+ device.

The point I was making is that MS (as evidenced by Albert Penello's post earlier) strongly believes in Kinect, and they feel it's worth whatever extra costs it adds. Allowing it to optionally be disconnected in certain cases, doesn't change their feeling towards it.

Just like how Sony still believes online/connected/social/whatever is also the future, and they're enabling their hardware to take advantage of that as much as they can, even if it's technically "optional". Companies can strongly encourage something, while still technically making it an option.

Yes, one "option" is $100 (and even that is still up for debate since there hasn't been a teardown done AFAIK), but that's a matter of degree, not kind. From MS perspective, Kinect is just as important to the system as the network connections.

So that's why they will (likely, I could always be wrong of course) still bundle it.

Top Bottom