• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: new info from Famitsu (map size, battle system, characters)

Mechs are awesome. People who don't like mechs can simply not play a mech game. Dealwithit, etc. Go play Skyrim or Crackdown or something.

Mechs are definitely going to be a huge part of Xenoblade X. Takahashi himself said that he has always wanted to make a game like this where there exploration is seamless between humans and mechs. There'll definitely be places you cannot get to on foot, or are simply scaled such where it doesn't make sense to explore on foot. That's all good. Mechs are amazing. If you don't like mechs, who cares about you.

:)
The last part... lol

jorgejjvr

Guys, who else thinks we need a overall thread all about xenoblade? Story, characters, music etc, just everything. I'm talking xenoblade chronicles and X, everything xeno, I guess xenosaga could fit in as well

Anyways, for all xenoblade fans, you HAVE to watch these two amazing tributes. You must have finished the game, otherwise there are spoilers. These are incredible, must watch

http://youtu.be/sJMNwBcMNWw

http://youtu.be/Z6QX2BZSW1E

sublimit

Banned
I wonder if we will somehow be able to "call" the mechs to come to us when we explore on foot.It would kinda suck if we have to return to the place we left them every time we decide to explore on foot (for whatever reason).

alvis.exe

Oh man! So Nopon ARE native to Mira then? Does that mean we'll get another Frontier Village? I really hope so - that was hands-down one of my favorite areas.

And yeah... Takahashi loves mechs. I think we'll only be seeing more mechs from now on, not less...

Zero²

I guess I just don't see the appeal of jumping into a huge suit of armor. Not in a game that is narratively driven and I want to feel some semblance of immersion. For example, I loved Titans in Titanfall, because they were there purely for the action and over-the-topness. I just can't reconcile mechs in a JRPG. It also might have something to do with how I like my JRPGs - I like classic, medieval-esque settings, and am not overtly fond of super futuristic settings.
I see, but its all a matter of perspective. Most people see mechs as extensions of their bodies, like a suit, and this feeling only gets stronger if you can customize your mech or the mech you have is unique. Like Xenogears' Weltall, that only Fei had.
In other words, its an extension of you or even a partner you can trust. If you watch Aldnoah.Zero (a popular anime that just started a second season) they even call their mechs "steeds" as they are knights and their mech is their "horse".

duckroll

My biggest issue with mechs in this game is that I don't think that Takahashi and his teams have ever quite nailed mech mechanics in one of their games before. Sometimes I found them downright annoying (Xenogears) other times completely inconsequential (do you ever even need to use your AGWS in Xenosaga 1?). However, that's mostly because mechs in the other Xeno games really didn't feel all too different from being on foot when on the overworld (you are controling a huge roboter, but in the end you were still just following a linear path) and just added some additional battle mechanics to the games battles.

I'm not sure if I'll like fighting with mechs this time around, but the thought of being able to fly around with a mech is incredibly appealing. In that sens I feel that this could finally become Takahashi's ultimate mech game. I just hope that they got the balancing right.

I don't think that a ton of effort has been put into making exploration in mechs feel much different in the previous Xeno games. They were basically just used to show off a different scale in some dungeons (and in these cases when you went on foot you would be much, much smaller). But I totally disagree about them being inconsequential. In all the Xeno games, the mechs always had unique aspects in the battle which made fighting in them very different, and a different sort of resource management. That's something not many RPGs actually bother with, and it adds a lot to a game for me. The same reason why Phantasy Star 4's vehicle combat is extremely memorable.

The AGWS being more optional in Xenosaga Ep1 is also very much a part of the setting. They were meant to be initially less important to the characters, and feel like mass production equipment which simply aids in combat. But as the series progressed and the characters got their unique ES mechs, the difference was meant to be clear. The upgrade from mass production suits to something personal and unique is meant allow the gameplay to complement the story in showing how the characters got introduced into this much larger and stranger world that normal people don't get into.

Zero²

When will this release in the US again?

Because hot damn I might just cave in and buy a Wii U just for this...
Just 2015 for now, but since it launches on April in Japan I dont think it will take too long. Maybe August? or September. I kinda want to see xenocross at E3 again, just so we can get more info on how the game was made xD

wmlk

I don't think that a ton of effort has been put into making exploration in mechs feel much different in the previous Xeno games. They were basically just used to show off a different scale in some dungeons (and in these cases when you went on foot you would be much, much smaller). But I totally disagree about them being inconsequential. In all the Xeno games, the mechs always had unique aspects in the battle which made fighting in them very different, and a different sort of resource management. That's something not many RPGs actually bother with, and it adds a lot to a game for me. The same reason why Phantasy Star 4's vehicle combat is extremely memorable.

The AGWS being more optional in Xenosaga Ep1 is also very much a part of the setting. They were meant to be initially less important to the characters, and feel like mass production equipment which simply aids in combat. But as the series progressed and the characters got their unique ES mechs, the difference was meant to be clear. The upgrade from mass production suits to something personal and unique is meant allow the gameplay to complement the story in showing how the characters got introduced into this much larger and stranger world that normal people don't get into.

The mechs in the field of Xenogears was nearly unforgivable for me. Things like having to scale Babel Tower on a mech for some reason. Also getting off your mech to enter small doorways...that offer little to no variety in gameplay.

For the battle system it's different, with having to handle fuel to when executing attacks and boosting, but what other thing did the mechs offer outside of that?

The problem was that mechs felt very much like an afterthought in Xenogears but the focus on them was heavy.

Xenoblade X looks to rectify that by having meaningful exploration with mechs where the prior games lacked them, but Takahashi has had problems with the balance before. I just hope the mech gameplay is as good as it looks.

chadboban

I want to know which of these new characters are actual party members.

Pretty psyched to try out all the avatar customization options.

The options seem pretty great for customization. On the famitsu scans of the character creator, my favorite is the one one the bottom right. The one with the beard. Really can't wait to play around with the creator myself..

Roo

I'm not really interested in this game but considering it'll have the same fate as Xenoblade (niche game/scalpers/rare status) shorty after launch, I don't want to regret it at a later date so I'll buy it and keep it there waiting for me whenever I feel like playing it

random25

The mechs in the field of Xenogears was nearly unforgivable for me. Things like having to scale Babel Tower on a mech for some reason. Also getting off your mech to enter small doorways...that offer little to no variety in gameplay.

For the battle system it's different, with having to handle fuel to when executing attacks and boosting, but what other thing did the mechs offer outside of that?

The problem was that mechs felt very much like an afterthought in Xenogears but the focus on them was heavy.

Xenoblade X looks to rectify that by having meaningful exploration with mechs where the prior games lacked them, but Takahashi has had problems with the balance before. I just hope the mech gameplay is as good as it looks.

Technical limitations might have hindered the past Xeno games to really implement a much better exploration using mechs. And Xenogears was first of its kind in making mech suits a major part in gameplay mechanics in an RPG. Plus, Xenogears' exploration by foot is still abysmal anyway :p

wmlk

Technical limitations might have hindered the past Xeno games to really implement a much better exploration using mechs. And Xenogears was first of its kind in making mech suits a major part in gameplay mechanics in an RPG. Plus, Xenogears' exploration by foot is still abysmal anyway :p

I agree, but Takahashi's clear focus on story first for Xenogears is what gave us things like the poor exploration that were forced for mechs. He's said he's changed his approach for making games starting with Xenoblade, opting for a gameplay focus.

And Xenogears' exploration is just bad in general, lol. Again I ask why the mechs were such a huge focus.

I am going to use that mech every second the game allows me to. Ever since I saw Gundam Wing on Toonami's Rising Sun block I have loved mecha. As a JRPG fan as well this is what I've always wanted. This huge level of detail with a huge world and a mecha to freely explore it with. I'm going to go full neckbeard and turn my fan on and pretend the wind is hitting my face and I don't care that the character wouldn't actually feel it since he's inside the cockpit damn it I'm doing it.

Laconic

Banned
I shall again reiterate, if the mech exploration is like Dragon Quest 8 with the bird, on nitro, I'm beyond hype.

Here's to hoping for finding secret nooks and dungeons with special, unique items, and MAYBE the Xenoblade equivalent of Metal King Slimes.

finalflame

Zero²;149757863 said:
I see, but its all a matter of perspective. Most people see mechs as extensions of their bodies, like a suit, and this feeling only gets stronger if you can customize your mech or the mech you have is unique. Like Xenogears' Weltall, that only Fei had.
In other words, its an extension of you or even a partner you can trust. If you watch Aldnoah.Zero (a popular anime that just started a second season) they even call their mechs "steeds" as they are knights and their mech is their "horse".

That's a great illustration of mechs (and thanks for the anime suggestion! I'll give it a look). I think this just comes down to the kinds of settings I prefer in games. Xenoblade Chronicles admittedly had a lot of higher-tech machines and 'mechs', but it was not, in its essence, a mech game. The settings and environments still kept a certain charm from not trying hard to be futuristic or artificial.

I just hope that this game is not, in essence, a mech game. After all, this is Xenoblade, not Xenogears.

random25

I agree, but Takahashi's clear focus on story first for Xenogears is what gave us things like the poor exploration that were forced for mechs. He's said he's changed his approach for making games starting with Xenoblade, opting for a gameplay focus.

And Xenogears' exploration is just bad in general, lol. Again I ask why the mechs were such a huge focus.

Story-wise they played a major role as they were the tools that revolutionized the war, and also enabled the antagonists to take control of the land-dwellers. And of course the battle system too.

TheMoon

I hope they let you can customizes your mech like your character; color, transformation, etc. I think they will though.

Mechs are definitely customizable. That much could be seen in the trailers with the same ones having different weapons and the base types having different features. One of the unions is all about the mech research after all.

So does that mean all characters so far on the website are playable?

No. At least it's not at all confirmed in any official way.

Reveirg

"Like the first game, you can also choose which character to control[fairly certain that’s what it says]. In a pinch, the AI will give you a pep talk [+some other stuff I’m not sure how to translate]."

Really hope that translation's accurate, huge news if true as that hadn't been confirmed before!

Only slight worry left is about the game's focus on story. I really hope it still has a strong, in-depth narrative like past Xeno titles and that "open-world RPG" talk is slightly worrying. But still, I trust Takahashi.

TheMoon

"Like the first game, you can also choose which character to control[fairly certain that’s what it says]. In a pinch, the AI will give you a pep talk [+some other stuff I’m not sure how to translate]."

Really hope that translation's accurate, huge news if true as that hadn't been confirmed before!

I'M REALLY FEELING IT

-LET'S NOT LOSE OUR HEADS THOUGH

LET'S PRESS ON AND ON AND ON

Instro

Mechs are awesome. People who don't like mechs can simply not play a mech game. Dealwithit, etc. Go play Skyrim or Crackdown or something.

Mechs are definitely going to be a huge part of Xenoblade X. Takahashi himself said that he has always wanted to make a game like this where there exploration is seamless between humans and mechs. There'll definitely be places you cannot get to on foot, or are simply scaled such where it doesn't make sense to explore on foot. That's all good. Mechs are amazing. If you don't like mechs, who cares about you.

:)

Precisely.

Soriku

Xenosaga 3 had really good mech combat, although that was a turn based game.

This game is the first time they're putting a major focus on major mech exploration + real time mech combat, but it looks promising. Xenoblade 1 was the first time Monolith made an RPG in a massive world, and it was really well done, so I'm not worried.

I just hope that this game is not, in essence, a mech game. After all, this is Xenoblade, not Xenogears.

It's probably both.
I for one say bring it on. Not enough mech games as it is.

Although my ideal version of a "mech" RPG is an RPG with the mech controls of Z.O.E. 2

Diffense

It seems that Xenoblade X has a version of Xenoblade's teleportation to landmarks using the "Frontier Net" system. I'm guessing that the "Dolls" will not be able to teleport in order to balance their speedier movement. I think that would give an interesting balance to exploration. The Dolls would be able to move very quickly over the map but would lack the ability to jump across the map so they have to walk, drive, or fly everywhere.

The Dolls are different in battle too. They're more powerful than humans but can't precisely target their attacks. You can't use dolls to remove a tail, for example, so you'll have to get out to do that to weaken the monster or get extra loot. Seems likely that there might even be certain enemies with particular weak points that you simply can't defeat with Dolls only.

The Dolls also have vehicle transformations which likely vary by Doll type and which might be particularly important for certain quests. Exploration (or timed) quests might favor transformation into the kind of fast vehicle we've already seen or there might be transportation quests or mining quests that require different vehicle types. That's speculation but I'd think that the vehicle transformation has to have some gameplay relevance since the humanoid form of the Doll can already fly as we've seen in many videos.

I'm anticpating this game a lot, even more than the new Zelda (which we don't know much about but promises to be huge too...each individual area the size of the whole of Zelda:TP!).

It seems that Xenoblade X has a version of Xenoblade's teleportation to landmarks using the "Frontier Net" system. I'm guessing that the "Dolls" will not be able to teleport in order to balance their speedier movement. I think that would give an interesting balance to exploration. The Dolls would be able to move very quickly over the map but would lack the ability to jump across the map so they have to walk, drive, or fly everywhere.

The Dolls are different in battle too. They're more powerful than humans but can't precisely target their attacks. You can't use dolls to remove a tail, for example, so you'll have to get out to do that to weaken the monster or get extra loot. Seems likely that there might even be certain enemies with particular weak points that you simply can't defeat with Dolls only.

The Dolls also have vehicle transformations which likely vary by Doll type and which might be particularly important for certain quests. Exploration (or timed) quests might favor transformation into the kind of fast vehicle we've already seen or there might be transportation quests or mining quests that require different vehicle types. That's speculation but I'd think that the vehicle transformation has to have some gameplay relevance since the humanoid form of the Doll can already fly as we've seen in many videos.

I'm anticpating this game a lot, even more than the new Zelda (which we don't know much about but promises to be huge too...each individual area the size of the whole of Zelda:TP!).

Considering Dolls seem to have a fuel gauge, that would make sense.

Diffense

Considering Dolls seem to have a fuel gauge, that would make sense.

Yeah, I'm curious about the details of that mechanic.

It's going to be exceedingly hard trying to avoid the import thread and stay away from all info after the Japanese release.

Yeah. I ended up watching Xenoblade streams far enough for
Fiora to die
. The SHTF real early in that game and I didn't expect to spoil a major plot point in the first couple hours. I usually don't watch playthroughs of games I want before I have them but I wanted to see what I might be missing. At the time, we didn't even have confirmation of localization by NOE. What I saw just convinced me that I needed the game! Xenoblade turned out to be the first game I ever imported (from the UK) and the Wii became the first console I ever 'modded' to be able to play games from another region.

If NOA is going to be shitty (now we're not getting n3DSface while EU, AU and JP are) Nintendo should at least consider getting rid of Region Locks. I lost respect for Nintendo/NOA over the way it abandoned the Wii's "core" owners at the end of its life. It's a bit of poetic justice that the casuals have given Wii U such a big FU that Nintendo is revising its approach. Miyamoto: their view of games is too passive!

I hope the wait between the JP and NA release isn't too excruciating. I'm crossing my fingers that localization had already begun when they showed it at E3 2014. This game has been in development since probably 2010 and I get the impression that it was basically finished by 2014. Hopefully we'll be able to buy it in the summer just after E3 at the latest.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Gessenkou on GameFAQS is doing a translation. He's pretty good and is probably the closest follower of all things this game.
Here

That's an interesting read. I really like what I read and see about this game.

I guess I just don't see the appeal of jumping into a huge suit of armor. Not in a game that is narratively driven and I want to feel some semblance of immersion. For example, I loved Titans in Titanfall, because they were there purely for the action and over-the-topness. I just can't reconcile mechs in a JRPG. It also might have something to do with how I like my JRPGs - I like classic, medieval-esque settings, and am not overtly fond of super futuristic settings.

Others can like them just fine, it's just not a huge draw for me. I'll get X either way, I trust it'll be a fantastic game regardless, I just don't want to be forced into a mech all the time.

But this is a JRPG in a super futuristic setting, you have a full flying city that lands on a far away planet. Mechs are really a logical part of the whole tech existing given the presumption of the game.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
People without jobs and people with jobs that are good managing their time? =P

I played Xenoblade and countless hours of the Souls series, but I am the kind of person that once starts playing those long ass games couldn't be bothered to play other games even if I was expecting them from months...

I don't know, I am happy massive RPG are a thing since also I can buy one and be happy with it for two months =D

Some people enjoy long games.

If good, they tend to be more bang for the buck.

The real question is whether or not the Wii U will melt from it.

I'm happy there are people that enjoy it. I just wish there was also a way to get some closure in terms of story without investing so many hours into the game. Xenoblade did a really bad job of letting me know beforehand which side quests were interesting and offered new content/locations and which were literally just filler. As a result I got 80+ hours into the game without finishing it. I still intend to do so when I have more time, but it kind of sucks investing an amount that is equivalent to 3-4 of today's standard single player story driven games and not getting to see the ending.

Porcile

I think if they'd of made Xenoblade Chronicles sized worlds with graphics to match the increase in graphical capabilities of Wii U, then people would of been perfectly happy. It's really impressive how they've seemingly pushed it even further beyond anyone's wildest expectations that we're still surprised by the things they're saying, even after seeing it a fair few times. Providing they haven't pushed it too far, and it loses playability and finesse in the process, I hope this will be a benchmark for a lot of JRPG's to come.

moolamb

The options seem pretty great for customization. On the famitsu scans of the character creator, my favorite is the one one the bottom right. The one with the beard. Really can't wait to play around with the creator myself..

Totally agree. It's almost as if they picked the ugliest guy as the default avatar just so that you'd be forced to make the effort to design someone good.

rjinaz

From the transations:

'You can gain powerful weapons and armor from defeating unique monsters, so by all means try to take them out. From beginning to end, my own play time was over 300 hours (laughs). There were still things I hadn't managed to finish, so I'm sure you'll be able to spend a considerable amount of time with this game.'

Lord have mercy. That doesn't really sound like a test play, that sounds more like it took him 300 hours to play the game and he STILL didn't do everything.

It also sounds like there will be unique equipment this time. In Xenoblade unique enemies might give you good armor but nothing special usually just whatever equipment drops for the level range of the enemies you are facing.

From the transations:

'You can gain powerful weapons and armor from defeating unique monsters, so by all means try to take them out. From beginning to end, my own play time was over 300 hours (laughs). There were still things I hadn't managed to finish, so I'm sure you'll be able to spend a considerable amount of time with this game.'

Lord have mercy. That doesn't really sound like a test play, that sounds more like it took him 300 hours to play the game and he STILL didn't do everything.

It also sounds like there will be unique equipment this time. In Xenoblade unique enemies might give you good armor but nothing special usually just whatever equipment drops for the level range of the enemies you are facing.

awesome
I loved the superbosses in Xenoblade Chronicles.
I just hope there are more in X and some should be really damn hard (or at least harder than the chronicles ones). like almost impossible hard.
only
ancient daedala
gave me real problems in chronicles.
Final Marcus
frightened me though. dunno why...his wierd appearance and the strange name gave me the creeps. also the location ...
*shudders*

Though the art direction is really a bore in comparison with Xenoblade, this game is looking good and those "8 factions"thing sounds really interesting...

From the transations:

I feel bad for those that hoped that 300hrs was his 100% or new game plus lol

Zero²;149801603 said:
The fuel gauge is out on the more recent trailers

Which trailers? (genuine question)

The E3 and January 2015 Direct trailers either only show story sequences or have the HUD disabled? Oh and the November gameplay video didn't have the Dolls in it at all.

Let's be honest, the time until this game comes out is less than the amount of time it will take for some of us to finish it.

I count myself among that contingent.

rjinaz

awesome
I loved the superbosses in Xenoblade Chronicles.
I just hope there are more in X and some should be really damn hard (or at least harder than the chronicles ones). like almost impossible hard.
only
ancient daedala
gave me real problems in chronicles.
Final Marcus
frightened me though. dunno why...his wierd appearance and the strange name gave me the creeps. also the location ...
*shudders*

Well I don't know about superbosses but that seems likely given this was said in the translations:

As is characteristic of Monolith’s work, this game is crammed full of extra content. For example, we’ve included the unique monsters[concept] from the first game, with drastically increased numbers.

There was something like 150 unique enemies in Xenoblade.

Top Bottom