• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xevious > Zelda

So I traded in a bunch of old PC/Xbox games and picked up Zelda and Xevious from the NES Classic Collection for the GBA. I popped in Xevious first, racked up a 215,600 high score, and then put in Zelda. I moved Link's chubby pixel ass between bland maps and shot sword lasers at space octopuses for a little while, and then I went back to Xevious.

AWESOME.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've got Zelda already, I've also got an extra $20. How does Xevious stack up as a shooter? What's the gist of the mechanics? Is it better than Section Z?

You shoot circle things and bomb circle things. Sometimes, flippy panels fall down the screen, and you have to dodge them. Then it's back to shooting circle things and the occasional rectangular thing. Oh, and more regular bombing of circle things, many of which are in clusters and shoot back.

Good stuff.

worldrunover: Uh, last time I checked, I enjoyed PGR2 more than FFXI. Am I comparing?

Newsflash folks, you can't like a game of a different genre more than one in another!

Seth C

worldrunover said:
Which would be... directly comparing them... ?

No, not at all. I like pizza more than I like celery. I like t-shirts more than I like ties. Hell, I even like pizza more than I like a kick in crotch. Apples and oranges, my friend, apples and oranges; and I still like oranges more than apples. :p

Depends on what you're after. If you're going on a job interview you're not going to favor t-shirts over a tie. Conversly, if you're looking for a game you can pick up and go on a handheld, you're going to want Xevious. You can't play Zelda for two minutes and say it's not as fun as Xevious, because, obviously it won't be.

And if you made a thread called "pizza > celery", people would wonder why you contrasted the two in the first place ;)

"Depends on what you're after. If you're going on a job interview you're not going to favor t-shirts over a tie."

That doesn't mean he likes ties.

"Conversly, if you're looking for a game you can pick up and go on a handheld, you're going to want Xevious. You can't play Zelda for two minutes and say it's not as fun as Xevious, because, obviously it won't be."

Unless you just enjoy Xevious over Zelda.

It's not a difficult concept.

Hey compare games all you want. I'm just saying you can't judge Zelda by the first three screens you walk through, because obviously it's not gonna be good.

"Hey compare games all you want."

Hahahaha

"I'm just saying you can't judge Zelda by the first three screens you walk through, because obviously it's not gonna be good."

You can if you don't like it as much as something else. It's really that simple :p

Gattsu25

Banned
Matlock said:
Denied! Other than the game boy (originals, not ports) titles, the Zelda series as a whole has been kind of meh.

replace 'kind of meh' with 'overhyped but still very good games' and i'll agree

andthebeatgoeson

Matlock said:
Denied! Other than the game boy (originals, not ports) titles, the Zelda series as a whole has been kind of meh.

I have found the source of this lunacy:
ohio.jpg

astronaut-banjo.jpg

realhicks1.gif

shotgun.jpg

I think the evidence speaks for itself.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
xevious is enduringly, deathlessly brilliant. it probably does hold up better than virtually anything else in the nes classics lineup. that said, there's no way in hell i'm paying $20 for an imperfect gba version of the imperfect nes port of a great arcade game. but i think i will pop in xevious 3d-g.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Gotta say I loved the arcade version of Xevious, but from what I remember, the NES version just didn't compare. Give me Zelda anyday. That said, if I am looking for popcorn entertainment that gives me thrills a minute and doesn't require an extended commitment, I'll take Gyruss over both. Give them all to me and I will be one happy 8 bit side scrolling time traveling gamer.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
the problem is that matlock's opinions are so out there they seem like trolls. it's a difficult position to judge when you're a moderator.

Socreges

Banned
I don't remember him being quite like this. As if he's just started up recently. That's why I figure he's just taking the piss.

way more

Heh, heh, heh, I'm not out to settle this, My mcDonalds burnt down and the Bell closes at midnight. I Think Zelda settles all debts, have you seen the show? Any way. Those who don't like Zelda, don't like Nintendo.

Drek

White Man said:
Duh. Now we just need a GBA Galaga port.

Galaga > Xevious > Zelda
One of the Namco arcade collections has Galaga, plus a couple of other games, including Ms. Pacman. :)

Kuramu

i had Xevious for the 7800. I'm curious how the 7800 and NES versions compared. the most memorable thing about the game was searching for the hidden, underground citadels and flags

GigaDrive

Banned
I also had the 7800 version back in 1988 and got to play NES version at friends house around the same time. the NES version is more detailed, but the 7800 version played extremely well... both are decent conversions of the arcade...

this is (or was) probably the best website on the internet for Xevious games

http://popup7.tok2.com/home2/xevious/main.html

I don't know if anything within that site is still working though.

Kuramu

just great, now nothing will make me happy until i hook up my 7800. not really looking forward to the hand cramps from the controllers

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Just started Xevious up for the first time

Better gameplay: Zelda
Better music: Zelda
Better graphics: tie

Zelda wins

Ar_

worldrunover said:
I also think apples are much much better than oranges.

APPLES > ORANGES

You are so misguided. Oranges > Apples.

Xevious was cool, with its Amazing Graphics, but gameplay never clicked too much with me. Maybe cause I wasnt good =)
I preferred Gyruss / Juno First / Scramble / Galaga / ...
Anyone remembers Exerion? Still impressive, in a Retro way - huge ships, realistic explosions! Grab MAME, backup *cough* your old boards and try it again, hurry!

Top Bottom