• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
But guys, let's get something straight: his name is Kiryu Kazuma. Kazuma Kiryu is an anglicisation used in the western versions, but you can't just reverse someone's name. Sega dumbasses.

giphy.gif

Tohsaka

I thought Sony mandated that all games releasing in 2017 require a Pro patch?

It probably doesn't apply to localizations of games that came out before then, which is reasonable. The developers don't likely have time to go back and make improvements since they're working on other games now.

Kyonashi

Only one I ever tried was 3, bought it on PS3 and for some reason only played like an hour and never went back to it.

Always meant to return to the series and 2017 looks like the year to do it but i'm torn between 0 and Kiwami, and leaning toward Kiwami right now...

Any reasons 0 is a better starting point than Kiwami?

Vertti

Already preordered. Will be my first Yakuza game. I've heard so much good about the series that I'm kinda excited.

If I like it I'll buy Kiwami too. And they try to find 2 and 3 for cheap too...

Stillmatic

This is going to be my first Yakuza game, I can't wait! I've wanted to get into the series for a while now but the old games are really hard to find. SO glad they remade the first, that means I only have to track down the Yakuza 2 and 3. I just picked up Yakuza 4 cheap and have 5 thanks to PS+.

Lets see what this is all about!

5taquitos

Only one I ever tried was 3, bought it on PS3 and for some reason only played like an hour and never went back to it.

Always meant to return to the series and 2017 looks like the year to do it but i'm torn between 0 and Kiwami, and leaning toward Kiwami right now...

Any reasons 0 is a better starting point than Kiwami?

3 has the slowest start in the series by far, so I don't blame you for bouncing off if you weren't already invested in the series.

Kiwami, being a remake of 1, would be the most natural place to start, but I don't know if they've altered any of it post-0.

Having played neither, I can't give an accurate opinion, but my gut says that 0 will be more impactful if you're already familiar with the characters from 1/Kiwami.

DJMicLuv

Day One. No physical for me though, my PS4's drive's too touchy to ensure it'll play discs anymore so I stick with DLs only. But I've played and loved 1-4 & Dead Souls and it's my favourite game series so I'll be there the second it's available and the same with Kiwami and 6. Best series EVER.

3 has the slowest start in the series by far, so I don't blame you for bouncing off if you weren't already invested in the series.

Kiwami, being a remake of 1, would be the most natural place to start, but I don't know if they've altered any of it post-0.

Having played neither, I can't give an accurate opinion, but my gut says that 0 will be more impactful if you're already familiar with the characters from 1/Kiwami.

kiwami is really basically meant to be played after zero now with all the new changes and additions. there's a quest line from zero that's continued in kiwami that didn't exist in 1 for example.

kiwami also has new cutscenes to explain some characters motivations that they didn't have in the original.

5taquitos

kiwami is really basically meant to be played after zero now with all the new changes and additions. there's a quest line from zero that's continued in kiwami that didn't exist in 1 for example.

kiwami also has new cutscenes to explain from characters motivations that they didn't have in the original.

Interesting, didn't realize they made that many changes in Kiwami to accommodate 0.

Then I recommend starting with 0!

5taquitos

I really wish there was a way to play 3-5 on my PS4.

Excited for 0!
They really should at least be added to PS Now.
Obviously you start with 0 first.

Numerical order guys. Jeez. :p

I am a firm believer in consuming media in release order, not sequential order. Not to derail, but look no further than Star Wars for reasons why.

That said, it sounds like 0 and Kiwami are tied together as more of a single package now.

NZerker12

Never played the series but going to start with 0 considering it is meant to be a prequel to the series. I love playing Beat 'em ups.

Peroroncino

i'm buying 58 copies whos with me

I wish my wallet was. ;)

I'll show my receipt when I go to pick up my copy on release day. Buying this used or on a sale should be considered as a blasphemy, especially by fans of the franchise.

Day One. No physical for me though, my PS4's drive's too touchy to ensure it'll play discs anymore so I stick with DLs only. But I've played and loved 1-4 & Dead Souls and it's my favourite game series so I'll be there the second it's available and the same with Kiwami and 6. Best series EVER.

Preach.

I preordered as soon as it was available, and I'm very excited. Yakuza 5 was my first full play through of a game in the series, which hooked me.

Alastor3

Should I buy this game if it's my first game? I fear I wont like yakuza 3-4-5 if I play a much better version beforehand.

SephLuis

Should I buy this game if it's my first game? I fear I wont like yakuza 3-4-5 if I play a much better version beforehand.

Yes, you can buy it.

The only game that didn't aged too well was the first Yakuza which got the remake treatment.

Yakuza 2, which was also on the PS2, is still regarded as one of the best in the series.

Y3-4-5 each have their own unique strengths and weaknesses, but they are all awesome games which you can enjoy.

Peroroncino

If you get hooked on Yakuza, then trust me you'll play the older ones with no problem, they all play pretty similarly with only some superficial changes to the formula.

Alastor3

Yes, you can buy it.

The only game that didn't aged too well was the first Yakuza which got the remake treatment.

Yakuza 2, which was also on the PS2, is still regarded as one of the best in the series.

Y3-4-5 each have their own unique strengths and weaknesses, but they are all awesome games which you can enjoy.

I would have thought the gameplay woild have been the same and had the same minigame but I hope you are right!

SephLuis

I would have thought the gameplay woild have been the same and had the same minigame but I hope you are right!

Some minigames are recurrent throughout the series, but there's many exclusives for each title.

The fighting gameplay changes from title to title. Y1-2-3 use the same basic system.

Y4-5 use multiple characters each with their own battle style.

Y0, Kiwami and both Ishin/Kenzan (the samurai ones. Unlocalized games) use a style system which you can change mid battle.

Yakuza 6 is another different battle system which I haven't played yet.

Sgblues

I've never stopped dancing since Zero was first announced, been dancing through all the criticism that this game would NEVER EVER come to the west, been dancing even when told that I was wasting my time, that no one cares but you what? I cared. I cared to sign petitions, send e-mails and to write letters because I knew to never stop believing as a true fan of the series and someone who, wants others to become true fans as well.

So I'll keep dancing:

qq1oSjo.gif

Shame we gotta go from ps4 to ps2 for Yakuza 2, that one is also the most expensive round here

Well you can get the HD 1&2 for PS3 or Wii-u(not a good port) if you want but they are in Japanese.

8bit

Knows the Score
Looking forward to this more than I can really say without hitting someone with a bike.

Would prefer to pre-order on PSN EU as it's slightly cheaper since all world currencies are rubbish compared to the CHF these days, but any port in a storm. I'd love the business card case but it will take ages to get here and I'd really like to get my Yakuza on.

qq1oSjo.gif

IrishNinja

YASSSSSS yakuza-GAF is best GAF

i just need a kiwami preorder to go up on amazon!

i'm buying 58 copies whos with me

it's the only way

2017 will be the year I get into Yakuza.

with 0 & 1 remake onna way, it really will be the best time, which is why i love seeing threads like this crop up

you know what? Your excellent OP has sold me on this. As a fan of Sega of Japan's quirky arcade-influenced output, this franchise always seemed like something I'd enjoy, and a fresh start on PS4 seems like the perfect place to begin.

Rest assured knowing your well-written OP has gained at least one new customer.

oh, but this ain't do it for you, huh fam
WELCOME TO THE PARTY, PAL

Bog

Junior Ace
I've purchased every Yakuza released in the US, even though I'm only about 5 hours into Y2 now. Already have 0 preordered.

CrazyHal

I played with the japanese demo back in march 2015 and let me ya, zero is the breath of fresh air that series needed.

The game running at 1080p/60fps makes such a huge difference. Combat feels so damn good now and the style system is the best new addition in the franchise history.

artsi

I played with the japanese demo back in march 2015 and let me ya, zero is the breath of fresh air that series needed.

The game running at 1080p/60fps makes such a huge difference. Combat feels so damn good now and the style system is the best new addition in the franchise history.

Too bad 6 went back to 30fps.

bigjig

Playing the Japanese version as we speak! You guys are in for a treat, it's the best Yakuza game since 2 for me :)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Too bad 6 went back to 30fps.

6 is the first game they designed for the PS4 itself. 0, kiwami etc are PS3 games up-ported to PS4.

Though, based on the in-game screens, 6 leaves a lot to be desired visually. 900p on OG PS4's and 1080p on Pro, both without any form of anti aliasing. Extremely blurry and jagged at the same time.

Image courtesy of Rockeeo from the PS4 Pro enhancements topic.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Not gonna Day 1 since I dun got a ps4 but it'll be bought alongside or slightly ahead of me getting the system!

6 is the first game they designed for the PS4 itself. 0, kiwami etc are PS3 games up-ported to PS4.

Though, based on the in-game screens, 6 leaves a lot to be desired visually. 900p on OG PS4's and 1080p on Pro, both without any form of anti aliasing. Extremely blurry and jagged at the same time.

Image courtesy of Rockeeo from the PS4 Pro enhancements topic.

Speaking of 6, reviews of that game on Amazon Japan don't seem all that favorable overall. Of course that's always to be taken with a massive grain of salt, but especially because every game prior to that is coming off with a much better rating on average I'm curious what the complaints are and if they're valid or not.

Arklite

Out of nowhere, Sega announced Yakuza 3 for a 2010 release (1 year after Japan) for the west, but drew huge ire from fans of the series, when they announced that they would cut certain aspects such as hostage clubs and a japanese quiz Answer x Answer from the game citing that these weren't aspects western audiences would be able interested in and possibly complete. That backlash possibly carried over to Yakuza 4 despite Sega learning its lesson and keeping the entire game in tact. Though it received generally favourable reviews and enjoyed by many of its fans, its sales were again I believe not good. Despite this, Yakuza: Dead Souls the series Zombie spin off came over to the west one year later. It got panned by critics and sales were bad. That might have been it for any other series. For a long time after that series creator Toshihiro Nagoshi had no news for western fans regarding a Yakuza 5 release, a game that fans were desperate for as it was a content heavy game (45 hour story, 5 cities). It finally came on PS3 as a digital download on PSN much to the disappointment of many physical copy collectors and at a time when much of the western audience had moved onto the PS4. There's been no word on sales except that they have been within expectations.

I won't say the complaints don't have merit, but we really come off as whiners here, especially people turning up their noses at Y5's digital release. Thankfully, somehow, 0 and 6 are getting the full localization support.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
For real? I didn't know that it did.

It came out December 8th, after Pro was released. Games ship with some basic version of Pro updates on disc now and it's up to the developer if they want to patch it further (ala FFXV's further promised Pro enhancements).

Yakuza 0 doesn't have any (reported) Pro upgrades so far, but that's because the game came out way earlier in Japan and this is just a localization, they're probably not gonna do any separate programming for the localized version.

Xater

I don't know if it's an EU PSN thing but on the German store you can't find this game. Which weird considering it comes out in less than a month.

Op, you missed out the fact that right now on EU psn at least yakuza 4, 5 and dead souls are heavily discounted and people who still own thier ps3s, and never touched the series, can get in on some excellent yakuza action before 0 drops.

I'd say add the sale links to the op.

By far the yakuza games are my favourite game series, well tied with GTA anyway, currently playing through 5 and loving the gameplay loop and variety dearly.

I can see why people feel y4 story is stronger but the massively improved gameplay systems, variety, different types of activities, and sheer amount of content puts it above 4 for me.

For real? I didn't know that it did.

No screen tearing on the Pro either, which is a huge difference for me. Its a pity Sega still block shared screenshots on the first playthrough as Yakuza 6 looks great (not in every shot, as illustrated by the screen shot above) but its far from an ugly game. I wouldn't say its particularly soft or blurry from my experience so far (6 chapters in). Textures wise its so far beyond anything else in the series has seen before, Kamuracho has never looked better. Lighting is way better as well.

Top Bottom