• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 shows "PS4 Console Exclusive". Coming to PC? (Nah)

Jigorath

Banned
There's much more to PC than just graphics!

I know. I never said there wasn't.

I'm not saying a PC version wouldn't be nice, I'm just saying it's not necessary like it is with a lot of other console games since Yakuza 0 already runs well. If the game was a mess on console then I'd be more fucked about not getting a PC version.

My comment was more about performance than graphics since a lot of console games struggle to get to 60 fps.

I know. I never said there wasn't.

I'm not saying a PC version wouldn't be nice, I'm just saying it's not necessary like it is with a lot of other console games since Yakuza 0 already runs well. If the game was a mess on console then I'd be more fucked about not getting a PC version.

My comment was more about performance than graphics since a lot of console games struggle to get to 60 fps.

In this case it's not exactly about that. Having the series on PC would mean that you don't need to wait for remasters/still have your old console around when a new one comes out. I didn't have my ps3 when Yakuza 5 came out and thanks to that I haven't been able to play it. That wouldn't be an issue on PC.

DryvBy

It's almost like "exclusive" never means anything

But a small logo on a box is helpful information that should be trusted over PR?

ok

It's because that logo specially was created to mean something. Only on PlayStation is the brand they use when it's literally only on PlayStation. While KoFXIV isn't on PC yet, it's not unlikely that it won't be given those games are on Steam now. The game was also just released a few months ago.

It's really confusing if they used this and it doesn't eventually come out on PC.

Jigorath

Banned
In this case it's not exactly about that. Having the series on PC would mean that you don't need to wait for remasters/still have your old console around when a new one comes out. I didn't have my ps3 when Yakuza 5 came out and thanks to that I haven't been able to play it. That wouldn't be an issue on PC.

Okay?

I've never said it shouldn't get a PC port. In fact, I said the opposite. A PC version would be nice. But if it doesn't happen, I can live with the PS4 version.

It's because that logo specially was created to mean something. Only on PlayStation is the brand they use when it's literally only on PlayStation. While KoFXIV isn't on PC yet, it's not unlikely that it won't be given those games are on Steam now. The game was also just released a few months ago.

It's really confusing if they used this and it doesn't eventually come out on PC.

Well, I mean, there's three plausible scenarios here.

1.) It's a mistake. They've tipped their hand too early by revealing that they do plan to release on PC but didn't mean to announce that now.

2.) It's a mistake in that they simply chose the wrong branding to display on the box.

3.) The branding was intentionally chosen due to the deal in place. Sony did not procure exclusivity across all gaming platforms, but merely acquired exclusivity such that it can't appear on Nintendo or Microsoft consoles. SEGA has gone with the most technically accurate branding to convey this. However, the fact that it can release on PC does not automatically mean that it will.

1.) It's a mistake. They've tipped their hand too early by revealing that they do plan to release on PC but didn't mean to announce that now.

2.) It's a mistake in that they simply chose the wrong branding to display on the box.

3.) The branding was intentionally chosen due to the deal in place. Sony did not procure exclusivity across all gaming platforms, but merely acquired exclusivity such that it can't appear on Nintendo or Microsoft consoles. SEGA has gone with the most technically accurate branding to convey this. However, the fact that it can release on PC does not automatically mean that it will.

To me, there's only two cases:

1) They choosed the wrong branding, which is likely but curiously wasn't denied.
2) There's indeed a deal going on, hence why they go as far as getting a spot on PSBlog or conferences. I don't feel like Sony would need a deal to prevent the game appearing on Nintendo or Microsoft consoles, especially considering the actual context. Although to me, it sounds it may appear later on PC.

Then I don't know what we're arguing.

I wasn't arguing about anything, you must have confused me with someone else. I just said that in my opinion having PC versions lets people play games even after the consoles that they were originally developed for have become obsolete.

TheFlow

Banned
I have a PS3 though. Not everyone is a console warrior TheFlow :p
? I have 2500 thousand pc, with more than 300 games, and a solid completion rate.

Me saying it is not coming to the pc has nothing to do with me being a console warrior, but good joke.

Add me on steam: theflow.

The game's almost two years old. The team has moved on to an entirely new engine.
Maybe 6 or the games after Kiryu's saga might come to PC. Doubt 0 will.

All that logo ever meant was "Not on XBOX, ever"

As said multiple times, this leaves the door open for a PC port, but as we heard from the publisher, it's not happening right now

And once again, no one says the game will never be on PC. Just not in the foreseeable future

? I have 2500 thousand pc, with more than 300 games, and a solid completion rate.

Me saying it is not coming to the pc has nothing to do with me being a console warrior, but good joke.

Add me on steam: theflow.

That wasn't targeted at you though. You were the one accusing me though :p

The game's almost two years old. The team has moved on to an entirely new engine.

I agree.
6 looks to be a far better game anyway, from the demo. I think it'd be a perfect entry to go multi-platform, even if that is just PC and PS4.

With the new engine i'd say it's much more likley. Since it's the same engine as 5, 4 and probably 3, it's unlikley this will come to PC. They'd probably do the rest if that was the case.

Parsnip

You know, the real takeaway (for the powers that be) from the thread is that there's a bigger audience for Yakuza in the west than it may have seemed based on the series sales in the past, it's just that the audience is scattered on a few different platforms.

DryvBy

True. I'm just overly optimistic on this subject and placing all bets on it happening... eventually. Definitely not near the release date.

I hope everyone in this thread isn't cancelling their pre-orders to wait. Please, guys, no!! If it doesn't sell, we might be in a stink once again with this series. I'm too lazy to learn Japanese to play this series.

All that logo ever meant was "Not on XBOX, ever"

As said multiple times, this leaves the door open for a PC port, but as we heard from the publisher, it's not happening right now

And once again, no one says the game will never be on PC. Just not in the foreseeable future

They already have a tag for Not On Xbox. It's called "Only on PlayStation". The first time I think this logo appeared was on SFV. There hasn't been many games sporting PS4 (no Vita and PS3) and PC at the same time since that logo. The logo is specially different than "Not on Xbox, ever". It's likely a mistake if a mistake at all. But that logo does actually mean something.

ckvLRxx.gif

X0naQql.gif

3XG4Gan.gif

gPaZEQN.gif

IrishNinja

Shame, the series would likely see a lotta love (and mods) like Binary Domain did....still, y'all better jump on this! YAKUZA-GAF is working on putting on a clinic for newbies.

Kyolux

This is the most important point in all this. There's no way they're going back (for now) and make a pc port.

I can see them do it in like 3 to 5 years if the series ever gain actual momentum in the West maybe. It would be nice to have the whole series on PC for sure.

Just not happening in 2017.

Man, these shots have put me in the mood to continue playing the game. It's almost been a year since I've last loaded my save file. Game is so good, but there's so much of the story I'm missing, since I'm too lazy to read the parts in text only. (And I'd misread 99% of the kanji)

Eolz

Basically yeah. 3) is perfectly plausible, and 1) as well.
I don't think 2) would happen, even if there has been some pretty big incompetency with this publisher (and others) in the past.

I don't see why there needs to be a discussion, who knows if it will but if it does its a great thing, more people will get to play the game. Done.

You know, the real takeaway (for the powers that be) from the thread is that there's a bigger audience for Yakuza in the west than it may have seemed based on the series sales in the past, it's just that the audience is scattered on a few different platforms.
At the very least, more and more Japanese publishers are taking note of the fact that several of their niche games can attain a modest level of success on Steam relative to the cost of porting them over.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would guess (if it wasn't mistake and there really isn't a PC port) the labeling might suggest that the localized version is only on PS4 since there is the PS3 version in Japan.

Again, could be wrong but just a thought.

StereoVsn

I find it amusing that folks here think that Sony had to pay for console exclusivity. Xbone is dead in Japan and Japanese games are dead on it on the West. Nintendo they tried and it didn't work out so well. There is literally nothing but Somy console to put Yakuza on in that space.

For PC the Yakuza team doesn't have to do the port. Porting houses exist and normally this sort of thing is outsourced. Mind you I don't think this is coming to PC, at least any time soon but some of the reasons against it stated in this thread are silly.

I find it amusing that folks here think that Sony had to pay for console exclusivity. Xbone is dead in Japan and Japanese games are dead on it on the West. Nintendo they tried and it didn't work out so well. There is literally nothing but Somy console to put Yakuza on in that space.

For PC the Yakuza team doesn't have to do the port. Porting houses exist and normally this sort of thing is outsourced. Mind you I don't think this is coming to PC, at least any time soon but some of the reasons against it stated in this thread are silly.
Qloc doing it would be amazing.

1. Noone's thinking that they paid specifically for exclusivity, but if they paid for the localization then there is some argument there that it would discourage Sega from putting it on another platform.

2. IIRC Nagoshi is a bit of control-freak when it comes to how the series is handled all 360 degrees around. One of the major reasons I heard behind the series localizations taking so long is him doing personal quality-control checks on almost every aspect as well as keeping as much of the work in-house as possible. Chances are if a PC port were to be done he'd either want it done in-house or at least with a lot of personal oversight if it were outsourced - And IIRC Sega has never gone with QLOC for their ports, with it almost always being in-house or done by that one hastily assembled fly-by-night port team that goes under a new name for each project that did the ports of Binary Domain and Valkyria - Good ports, yeah, but they very obviously feel like ports instead of native versions - Or like what multiplats on PC felt like in the 2000's. Can only hope they hire QLOC going forward so we can go from good and respectful ports to legendary ports though like Zestiria and Dead Rising.

Also IIRC Nagoshi did show up at some Win10 and DX12 developers conference Microsoft and spoke highly of DX12 being a boon for some of his unannounced projects - And I'm going to be blunt and take a guess that there's a higher chance of anything he makes using DX12 being a PC port rather than an Xbone game. That and he did talk a lot about investigating (Heh, investigating.) ways to try and expand the IP's audience in the west that didn't involve altering the games themselves.

While I appreciate the eternal optimisim, I just wanted to be perfectly clear about expectations for the pc gaming crowd. Chiefly that there shouldn't be any expectation for a PC release of Yakuza 0.

I don't know whatever criteria went into determining the box label, but I am telling you definitively to not get your hopes up for anything other than a PS4 release.

Atlus PR, huh?

Post didn't age well.

Hudo

It is good that Sega decided that expanding onto other platforms is a good thing. Third party platform exclusives are dumb. Having Yakuza on more platforms will help Yakuza (and Sega) and also more people get to play the game.

In an alternate universe the fandom for games like Shenmue, Way of the Samurai, Sleeping Dogs, and Strangehold would've made a clean migration over to the Yakuza series, SEGA would make bank, and the whole world would be enlightened.

But I'll take a gradual adoption if that's what it takes. Happy to see these games coming out on more and more platforms.

Top Bottom