• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

DJMicLuv

Just got to the 'free roam' bit before the end game and decided to finish the few sub-missions I'd missed. Then I met Daddy Papa. I love this series so much.

Arzehn

Just finished the game. Yakuza Team has once again proven they are the best developers at Sega. Every game is better than the last. I'm just glad we ending up getting this localized even if it was 3 years later, it was worth the wait. Thank you Sega and Sony for finally listening and here's hoping we don't have to petition for this series anymore in the future.

Game has so much content I feel like I've stolen it by only paying the $34 CAD preorder price. Seriously.

While playing I thought about a few ideas for the series.

1. VR for hostess clubs (and maybe other minigames) - it's a no brainer

2. They should totally make spinoff games like a Yakuza: Haruka Sawamura for Vita or something. I actually enjoy the rhythm gameplay but the Miku IP is unappealing. Having a Yakuza quality level story, with similar gameplay and exploration would be pretty cool.

JEKKI

finally started playing again after a long break; started Shinada's chapter.

my favorite part was when the store manager was like "yo I'ma call this girl up, but u gotta talk to her"

so he calls her, hands over the phone to Shinada, and he's talkin like sup girrrrrl~

then he puts the phone in his pocket and walks out.

I'm like dude! that aint your phone! lol

Desmond

Just finished the game. Yakuza Team has once again proven they are the best developers at Sega. Every game is better than the last. I'm just glad we ending up getting this localized even if it was 3 years later, it was worth the wait. Thank you Sega and Sony for finally listening and here's hoping we don't have to petition for this series anymore in the future.

Game has so much content I feel like I've stolen it by only paying the $34 CAD preorder price. Seriously.

While playing I thought about a few ideas for the series.

1. VR for hostess clubs (and maybe other minigames) - it's a no brainer

2. They should totally make spinoff games like a Yakuza: Haruka Shimazaki for Vita or something. I actually enjoy the rhythm gameplay but the Miku IP is unappealing. Having a Yakuza quality level story, with similar gameplay and exploration would be pretty cool.

3re2LLv.jpg

AKB fan? :lol

Also, how is the translation/ any localisation issues in the English release? I'm actually researching the localisation of the series for University.

My Japanese isn't really good, in fact I barely can understand a full sentence but even I was able to find some mistakes in the localization.

For instance, the first time Haruka meets the dance battle girl (don't remember the name) she asks Haruka if she can call her by first name but the translation reads "Let's go hang out later" or something, which is nothing even remotely close to what they were actually talking about.

The same thing happens when Haruka asks the same thing from her and the translation again reads wrong.

I don't how is the rest of localization is since my Japanese isn't good enough but those few scenes that I could tell the mistakes really bothered me.

My Japanese isn't really good, in fact I barely can understand a full sentence but even I was able to find some mistakes in the localization.

For instance, the first time Haruka meets the dance battle girl (don't remember the name) she asks Haruka if she can call her by first name but the translation reads "Let's go hang out later" or something, which is nothing even remotely close to what they were actually talking about.

The same thing happens when Haruka asks the same thing from her and the translation again reads wrong.

I don't how is the rest of localization is since my Japanese isn't good enough but those few scenes that I could tell the mistakes really bothered me.

That's not a mistake so much as a deliberate attempt to localize the script for a Western audience. In Japanese calling someone by their first name without honorifics denotes intimacy, and so this kind of scene is a gesture of trust and desire to become close. Without knowledge of how the Japanese language works, a player may not understand the meaning behind this request. It's pretty common for English translators to alter these sort of scenes to contain dialogue that isn't a direct translation but attempts to convey the intent of close friendship in a way that's more idiomatic for English speakers.

That's not a mistake so much as a deliberate attempt to localize the script for a Western audience. In Japanese calling someone by their first name without honorifics denotes intimacy, and so this kind of scene is a gesture of trust and desire to become close. Without knowledge of how the Japanese language works, a player may not understand the meaning behind this request. It's pretty common for English translators to alter these sort of scenes to contain dialogue that isn't a direct translation but attempts to convey the intent of close friendship in a way that's more idiomatic for English speakers.

What about those women Shinada writes his reports on? They are obviously prostitutes, but in the subtitles they are referred to as masseuses. Is that also their official job description in Japanese, or is that something the localization team came up with?

What about those women Shinada writes his reports on? They are obviously prostitutes, but in the subtitles they are referred to as masseuses. Is that also their official job description in Japanese, or is that something the localization team came up with?

I haven't gotten to Shinada's section yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's a direct translation from the Japanese. Japan as a country tends to be very... discreet about these sorts of things.

Yes, it probably is deliberate but I still think it's unfaithful to change the script in that particular scene the way they did it. Being an Asian guy myself it's pretty common to ask if you could call someone by their first name when you first meet them, yet that doesn't necessarily mean that you are gonna be friends and hang out with each other. That's why I find the scene to be bothering and unfaithful to the original script.

Looove playing pool in this. Hope it's in 6 aswell.

Unless the move to the new graphics/gameplay engine causes Sega to pull back on including as many mini games I'd say its almost certain to be included. Its one of the last mini games I've got left to do, but I do love how between the earlier games, 5 and now 0 Sega mix up the requirements and game modes in Pool. I just wish I wasn't rubbish at it! Darts, Mah Jong and the arcade are more my speed!

Anyway, finally started the fighting arena as Akiyama and holy heck this is hard! Enemies have huge health bars and tons of super armour making most of my attacks useless. This reminds me exactly why I didn't enjoy the arena on the Japanese version. Shinada and Akiyama really aren't powerful enough for the arena in my opinion, Kiryu and Seijima have an easier time, but its still pretty difficult this go around.
For now I'll level Akiyama up to 20, do the Komaki training and then buff him up further with Minamida's VR training. That should hopefully give me a fighting chance... Oh and if all else fails on Premium Adventure mode I'll force the game into lowering the difficulty if all else fails!

But for now I think I'll focus on clearing the last couple of chapters to finish the story mode. 95 hours later and the end is finally in sight!

Desmond

This sort of stuff is exactly what I'm looking for. I have gone through most of 4, but haven't looked at 5's localisation yet.

How do they deal with the dialects in the game? I noticed in 4 they just made Majima and Saejima's dialogue casual in the subtitles.

This sort of stuff is exactly what I'm looking for. I have gone through most of 4, but haven't looked at 5's localisation yet.

How do they deal with the dialects in the game? I noticed in 4 they just made Majima and Saejima's dialogue casual in the subtitles.

For the characters that speak in less standard dialects of Japanese, the English translation uses a kind of rural "hick" English, dropping final consonants such as the "g" of "-ing" words and using a lot of informal slang and loose grammar.

Desmond

For the characters that speak in less standard dialects of Japanese, the English translation uses a kind of rural "hick" English, dropping final consonants such as the "g" of "-ing" words and using a lot of informal slang and loose grammar.

Hmm, that's how they are dealt with in 4. A shame.

I was on the final chapter when my PS3 decided to not work anymore... Freeze at startup (after PS3 logo), I've tried rebuild but it got stuck. I then had to turn it off. And now it won't even start the rebuild (bocked at "Please wait" in the safe mode menu).

Fuck me, spent 60h+ on this game and didn't even see the end of the story... I should have done that instead of Haruka's sidequest x)

Desmond

Any way to change button config.? I have the Japanese version and it's really annoying me that I have to confirm/ interact with X. None of my other Japanese games have this problem.

Man, that Komaki dual battle with all four characters is so much easier if you grab a couple of warning signs to take at least one of them in 2 hits! Thanks to whoever it was earlier in this thread that suggested this technique. It was a life saver when doing the battles with Shinada and Akiyama.

Cess007

Finished it yesterday, clocking 74 hrs. I can't believe the amount of time i put on the game! When i started i estimated putting 40 hrs on the game at most; but once i started doing the submissions i couldn't stop.

I felt the last chapters was the weakest of all (That ending...). And the newcomer Shinada was fun to control as i have never been one to using too much weapons in the game, and Shinada being good at them was a nice change (but my favorite is still Akiyama, i love his fighting style). I really wish we don't have to wait again too much for Yakuza 0 and 6 :(

Is it possible to buy all the upgrades for a character in one playthrough? I thought raising the level cap to 25 would suffice, but i'm at level 22 with Shinada and it looks like i won't be able to purchase the currently available upgrades by level 25. Will it have to wait until NG+?

Kiryu in the arena is so damn fun. I just appreciate his moves list all the more when I'm countering, chaining grabs onto finishers and using his red heat stance to crush enemies with ease. It feels so damn fluid and satisfying when you counter a grab with your own and follow up with a heat move, or use one of Komaki's counters to deliver a damaging blow to turn the tide of the battle.
The counters especially are so much better than the EZ counters in most games these days, since they actually take skill to land and have a really decent payoff if you do connect properly. Just another reason why I prefer the combat in Yakuza to pretty much any other game on the market at the moment.

Is it possible to buy all the upgrades for a character in one playthrough? I thought raising the level cap to 25 would suffice, but i'm at level 22 with Shinada and it looks like i won't be able to purchase the currently available upgrades by level 25. Will it have to wait until NG+?

Don't forget you can also visit Professor Minamida (Doc Brown) in the underground structure near the Theatre District in Kamuracho. That's where his IF8 machine is kept which you can keep replaying to earn more soul points to power up your character further.

Don't forget you can also visit Professor Minamida (Doc Brown) in the underground structure near the Theatre District in Kamuracho. That's where his IF8 machine is kept which you can keep replaying to earn more soul points to power up your character further.

Oh damn, i must have missed that explanation. I replayed the available levels, got some heat upgrades and after that nothing but items. I suppose i need to invest more money before i can earn soul points?

Edit: Ah yeah, just found a guide that says you need to upgrade the machine to v 1.2 to earn soul points. Thanks for the hint!

JEKKI

aaaaargghhh I cant freakin catch a Marlin!!

I was supposed to go to the gym like 45 minutes ago lol, darn u video games!!!

but seriously, all I catch are uumbrellas, briefcase, barrel, and sea breams!!!

cmon Marlin! I'm trying to beat the master quest!!

I want to do achieve 100% in a ex hard playthrough, do you think it's doable ? Since I lost my save, I'm planning to do a quick normal playthrough (just the main story) and then do all optional stuff in ex hard. I want to know how the story ends but I don't want to dive in side quest/another drama just yet...
Also, will the food I ate carry over to NG+ (the little checkbox in front of every meal eaten)?

KRaZyAmmo

I want to do achieve 100% in a ex hard playthrough, do you think it's doable ? Since I lost my save, I'm planning to do a quick normal playthrough (just the main story) and then do all optional stuff in ex hard. I want to know how the story ends but I don't want to dive in side quest/another drama just yet...
Also, will the food I ate carry over to NG+ (the little checkbox in front of every meal eaten)?
I believe all those little checkboxes do carry over ng+

That stuff should carry over. The mini games I believe don't raise in difficulty on harder chapters so the only thing that'll really be harder is the fighting arena. So I'd recommend clearing the game on EX hard and do all you can, and if your having problems with the arena just get into random street fights, purposely lose several times until the game prompts you to lower the difficulty. As you'll have cleared the main game, lowering the difficulty won't affect your completion percentage (this is my plan if I can't clear the arena with Shinada or Akiyama).

That stuff should carry over. The mini games I believe don't raise in difficulty on harder chapters so the only thing that'll really be harder is the fighting arena. So I'd recommend clearing the game on EX hard and do all you can, and if your having problems with the arena just get into random street fights, purposely lose several times until the game prompts you to lower the difficulty. As you'll have cleared the main game, lowering the difficulty won't affect your completion percentage (this is my plan if I can't clear the arena with Shinada or Akiyama).

Alright, nice tip :p

Currently in Saejima's 4th chapter. Did a good amount of quests in the mountain before moving on but didn't finish everything. Kinda curious to get to Haruka to see how it is.
Kaguya is way hotter than the hostess in Kyriu's chapter :)

cj_iwakura

I don't get what Saejima went back to jail for. The 'killings' 25 years ago downgraded to assault? I think he did his time and then some.

brawly

Part 3 seals it, never ever replaying this. It's making me miss the orphanage stuff it's so bad.

I really want to get back to Ishin instead of playing this.

Cess007

I don't get what Saejima went back to jail for. The 'killings' 25 years ago downgraded to assault? I think he did his time and then some.

Maybe the prison break in Y4 added some time to his sentence that needs to be done in jail? Dunno, how prison systems works on that:0

What? Haruka's section is great.

I can understand why someone would dislike it though; if you just want to be beating up dudes, Yakuza 5 throws in a lot of other stuff, not just in the copious side content but also in the main story, that moves away from that. Haruka is the biggest example, since she doesn't physically fight at all.

jgminto

I can understand why someone would dislike it though; if you just want to be beating up dudes, Yakuza 5 throws in a lot of other stuff, not just in the copious side content but also in the main story, that moves away from that. Haruka is the biggest example, since she doesn't physically fight at all.
Haruka's section is such a refreshing break from the action though, and it's also the perfect spot for it. Not to mention it's a lot of fun in its own right. The combat has always been a big part of the series but I've always seen it as a secondary element compared to experiencing the cultures of Japan, which Haruka's section does really well.

113 hours later and I've finally finished the story on this game... I really enjoyed the game and the story, but still felt the final boss was a tad anticlimatic in
choice and motive

I'm 88% done on the extras, the fighting arena is a real bastard... Any idea if armor equips work in the arena or is it like past games where you can't use them? I'm having issues clearing the 100 man battle with Akiyama.

Rymuth

Finally finished! Unnnnnnnnnnnnnnfffh~ That was orgasmic! Best final boss battle of the series and one of the better entries in terms of storyline. So. many. twists!!

Lord Nagoshi and team, you guys rock! Now comes the painful wait for Yakuza 0.

ps. Shinada's storyline being essentially
Hot Fuzz
was a laugh out loud moment for me.

pps Just saw Gio Corsi's name in the credits. Thank you, Sony, for localizing this. :)

I did enjoy the mountain village but only when getting to chapter 4 do I feel like Saejima's chapter is hitting its stride. It's certainly nice to able to roam freely in the city again. The prison taking up to chapters was too much, should've been just 1, with chapters 3 and 4 taking place in the city. I did enjoy the story in the prison chapter though.

The chase sequences are really janky lol.

98% done now... I've only got a handful of things left to go:

Batting Centre - Only got the Pro Course left. This could either be ok, or insanely difficult depending on how the game plays it. That said, I'm still enjoying the batting cage more than Yakuza 3's!

Pool - Only got 4 ball left. Not sure how hard this'll be since I don't tend to play this mode very often at all. That said, I've never been good at Pool jn past games but have somehow managed to clear Advanced difficulty 8 ball, 9 ball and rotation so who knows!

Slots/Pachislots - leaving this until last. Not because of difficulty, just because its very monotonous!

Arena - My main time sink... I've completely cleared Seijima and Kiryu's arena fights now and am just left with 4 for Akiyama and 5 for Shinada. Having problems doing the 100 man fight with Akiyama... I get really far but always tend to lose in the last few waves. Shinada has been going fairly well though to my surprise, I always assumed I'd have more trouble with him than Akiyama. Assuming I can clear these I think I stand a chance at 100%ing the game.

I still remain of the opinion that the arena probably should have only been open to Kiryu and Seijima. The other two feel a tad too underpowered to be competing against certain characters. Plus its fairly repetitive to grind your way up the ranks 4 times to unlock all the required GP's. However I did like the whole Victory Road side story.

cj_iwakura

Glad that the end of Saejima Part 2 subverted tropes again, I was so sure that
Baba was going to get shot as they left.

Made it to Haruka's chapter today.
These games really have to be commended for the variety of sidequests.
They get you into all kinds of crazy situations and sometimes even have touching little stories.
In Saejima's case I really liked how some sidequests referenced his
cellmates
. It really gives the world consistency.

As for Haruka, dance battles are fun and I'm enjoying this look into the idol industry. One of the things I've always liked about Yakuza is that you're getting this little slice of japanese culture that is always interesting to dive into.

u_neek

It feels so good to be playing this series again and I can't believe how much meat there is on this game. I am about 23 hours in, just started playing as Haruka after forcing myself to continue the main story.

Is it possible to come back and finish up side quests later in the game?

It feels so good to be playing this series again and I can't believe how much meat there is on this game. I am about 23 hours in, just started playing as Haruka after forcing myself to continue the main story.

Is it possible to come back and finish up side quests later in the game?

Yes, there is an opportunity to do so in the last part of the game, and then there's also Premium Adventure, a free roam mode in which you can complete anything that you didn't in the main game, or just mess around and play mini games to your heart's content. However, if you plan on replaying the game on extra hard after that, it might be a good idea to finish the substories at least before you finish the main portion of the game, since the reward for it is a powerful weapon that could come handy on your new playthrough and iirc it doesn't carry over to NG+ (or Premium New Game, as it is called in Yakuza) if you finish the substories in the free roam mode. Same goes for some other unlocks, but if you're not planing on replaying the game, or want a good challenge, then you don't have to worry about that at all.

99.5% done now! I've only got the last hostess, slots & pachinko, and sea fishing to finish off and that gold trophy is mine! I imagine sea fishing being the hardest to do, since its all down to getting lucky and randomly catching the fish I'm short. The slots stuff is just time consuming, I'll do it on a day off and listen to a couple of podcasts to pass the time...

For anyone doing the fighting arena with Shinada and Akiyama, here are a couple of tips that worked for me:

Shinada is actually fairly decent, if weak. Just use his short square, triangle, circle combo to deal damage and knock the enemy down and repeat. You'll find it takes ages to defeat the harder enemies (especially on hard mode) but its a decent safe way of beating people. The "must have" for Shinada in terms of leveling is the health restore move (L3&R3 when health flashing red). Its especially excellent on the 100 man fight and the tournament that starts you off almost dead.

Akiyama is way harder, as he takes lots of damage and can't regen health. You really need to level him up loads (I was level 24 when I was done). Unlock his move which prevents enemies from blocking his red heat attack. Its incredibly useful and can be used to chip away health from those that guard all the time. Also, use the air combo like crazy in the multi man fights as your invincible and deal out lots of damage. And don't forget you can quickly regain heat by grabbing someone and pressing R2.

Also, Akiyama has a couple of combo's that can lock most enemies in a downed state so they can't get back up. ABUSE THIS! I used the square, square, triangle, triangle move for the best effect as it hits twice for great damage. Bear in mind it doesn't work for all enemies, so you might need to abuse grabs and the "kick in the face" heat move when foes are on the floor for the best damage. Also, for one on one encounters if you have the timing down on his triangle parry that's a great help as well.

For the king of kings fight just hold back and red heat when possible. I did this fight on my first try as I just let everyone deal with everyone else and I stepped in at the end for the victory.

The arena is by far the hardest part of the game in my opinion, as its the most grindy part and some of the fights can be fairly tough to complete.

I was happy that the baseball and pool stuff seemed easier this game. Its the first time outside of 0 that I managed to complete it and I had a heck of a great time with it this go around as well. I love that Sega continues to tweak the mini games here and there (not always for the better mind) but I do like the fact it gives you different goals in 5 and 0, where as in 3 and 4 its just "do everything on all difficulties" for Pool.

Top Bottom