• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Series Starter Guide | Welcome to Kamurocho

cornerman

Thinking about picking up the game, but had a few questions. How is travelling through the city? Will I spend a lot of time covering ground to get to the next story mission?

From the OP, I see the tournament offers rewards for taking part in the tournament. Are there rewards for doing the other activities (bars, bowling, etc)?

IrishNinja

Thinking about picking up the game, but had a few questions. How is travelling through the city? Will I spend a lot of time covering ground to get to the next story mission?

not at all - the maps are only so large, you can traverse much of the town in minutes. if you're in a hurry, taxis are on nearly every corner of the map, and they run cheap as well.

From the OP, I see the tournament offers rewards for taking part in the tournament. Are there rewards for doing the other activities (bars, bowling, etc)?

absolutely - normally, they just bring XP and completion of various sidequests; in this game, you often get valuable items (weapons, armor, etc) and CP, special points used to unlock things you can't get otherwise in the game - such as special abilities, or opening up new game features.

generally speaking, the series rewards those who explore & take part in competitive minigames & such, but this one takes that up several notches.

I just ordered a copy of Yakuza 0 because it looks like such a fun ride.

I played a couple hours of Yakuza 3(?) on PS3 years ago but had no idea what was happening story wise before getting sidetracked and never going back to it.

IrishNinja

I played a couple hours of Yakuza 3(?) on PS3 years ago but had no idea what was happening story wise before getting sidetracked and never going back to it.

yeah, 3 (like most) has a catchup video but it's starting you out in a weird place if you're just entering the series there...0 should be a much better time for you!

yeah, 3 (like most) has a catchup video but it's starting you out in a weird place if you're just entering the series there...0 should be a much better time for you!
Exactly. You'll feel right at home with 0.

Usobuko

Banned
First time I seen this thread, Yakuza fans are really passionate.

I still remember asking Sony to localise 5 in #buildthelist.

Jimrpg

Have there ever been a sale on Yakuza 5? I still wish I could get the physical copy of the game instead of digital.

It has had a sale on Aus/Eu PSN. I think it was about $25?

Either way gotta commend Sega/Sony on the cheap Day 1 price, I think it was US$39 plus 15% discount bringing it down to $33. It was similarly priced in Aus/Eu.

I don't think the physical is ever coming so just get the digital!

Hoping for a discount on Yakuza 5 eventually too. I think the last time the US had a sale was sometime in March of 2016, I didn't grab it then. I would buy 5 on PSN and then rebuy the Japanese copy just to have something on the shelf. Hopefully the next PSN sale includes it in someway.

Crynox

Neo Member
Bumped, because after reading the entire thread its made me want to try and play Yakuza 3 again.
It's my first game in the series and like others have said maybe it's not the best as the first couple of chapters are slow and a bit boring. However thanks to this thread I've stuck with it and now Im at chapter 4 where I've found myself beginning to enjoy the game.

Ive decided I want to play the games in release order from PS3 onwards but I thought it was only right to show my support so today I've, (prematurely), bought Yakuza 0 and Kiwami.

Thanks to the OP for the great introduction, consider me now a fan.

IrishNinja

^glad to help man! yeah years later id replay 3 & do more of the subquests & such and it really grew on me, both Okinawa & the family there. still think the villain's the least of the series so far but the rest of it was really enjoyable

FaintDeftone

I'm halfway through Yakuza Kiwami right now and really enjoying it.

I own both Yakuza 1&2 on PS2 but didn't get past a few hours on the original. Never touched the second one. It's just been sitting in my collection.

Hopefully Kiwami 2 will drop stateside. I'd much rather play it on PS4 since Kiwami is significantly better than Yakuza 1.

Top Bottom