• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee will get a boxed release

messiaen

The blog announcement was a nice surprise but the part about other indie characters getting into Yooka Laylee not so much.

Indie characters appearing in each others games so often feels stupid.
You can't really criticize them much. They've said this since the start about other games and making it a franchise with each character having different styled games possibly taking place in the same universe.

I was waiting for the box to buy the game. Hope they allow new people to get it.

Edit: My mistake, I misread your post...

Persona7

Banned
DRM free? If so, if only they'd done this a long time ago, that would have convinced me to back for $30ish.

A DRM free release was planned from the start if I remember correctly. It was confirmed for GOG.com quite a while ago. I can't remember if it was before the kickstarter campaign ended but I think so.

Yeah... no. The game it's a old style plataformer, but everything else is new, so a simple box works and it's cheap for everyone.

The PC collector's edition already exists in the form of the 535 USD tier, which is exactly what they said it was.

I would imagine a collector's edition in the same vein for console would be available to swap.

illusionary

I swore thy had a slacker backer program like Bloodstained does. Oh well.
They did, but only until August last year: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival/posts/1309158

A DRM free release was planned from the start if I remember correctly. It was confirmed for GOG.com quite a while ago. I can't remember if it was before the kickstarter campaign ended but I think so.
Not quite from the start, but a GOG version was added partway through the Kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival/posts/1260910

Funny, the physical release announcement for Mighty No.9 made a fuss in its time...

They announced it in a time when indie games weren't really getting physical copies. Now there are publishers that are getting in publishing indie games. Like Runbow, Steamworld Heist, Shovel Knight, Shantae. Yooka Laylee getting the treatment is welcome, but not earth-shattering.

jholmes

I wanted to back this but I thought a physical release would happen and I wasn't willing to chance another Mighty No. 9 situation where they put it on disc and tell their backers to go plumb. I asked Playtonic what they thought the odds of that situation were and they sorta said "Who knows what the glorious future holds?!" so I decided to sit it out.

I definitely would've backed knowing what I know now, and I'll obviously pick this up Day 1 when it drops.

Saladinoo

I backed Yooka-Laylee back in the day but I've been out of the loop for a little while, do we know how backers can upgrade to a physical copy yet?

We’re currently working on a much larger update with information on, among other things, how Kickstarter backers will be able to change platforms and upgrade to physical versions. Thanks for your patience while we get the details up to scratch.

This is from their last update a week ago...

Lynd7

I wish they would address the Switch plans already, doesn't seem like they were holding back due to it being announced at the presentation.

Hoping for good news..

I wish they would address the Switch plans already, doesn't seem like they were holding back due to it being announced at the presentation.

Hoping for good news..

I'm guessing they are waiting for details to be finalized on this before putting out their big physical release and platform change update.

Top Bottom