• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida: Sony Bend's PS4 Game Will Make You Panic

AOC83

Banned
SCE owns two handheld dedicated studios.
Shut one of them down before Vita even launches in the west.
Has the other one make PS4 games.

Goodbye Vita, you were too good for the company that birthed you.

It just doesn´t make sense to develop for the Vita anymore. The market has rejected that thing and Bend is certainly not going to change that.
I´m happy that they are now working on the real deal again. A new Survival Horror IP would be amazing.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

I don't think it is a big deal that the SCE World Wide Studios have moved on to the PS4 per say, especially considering that the PSP was bolstered by great first-party SONY games developed by external contract developers. Theoretically the same thing could happen, but it unfortunately looks like SONY is going to rely on small indie digital games as the future.

Takao

Banned
I don't think it is a big deal that the SCE World Wide Studios have moved on to the PS4 per say, especially considering that the PSP was bolstered by great first-party SONY games developed by external contract developers. Theoretically the same thing could happen, but it unfortunately looks like SONY is going to rely on small indie digital games as the future.

The problem with even trying to replicate their PSP strategy is that the independent midsize studio is kind of a thing of the past. There's very few of them remaining, and the one that Sony has had a proven track record with is working on a PS4 game too.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Hey at least we got Killzone Mercenaries and Tearaway before the end

I can think of little more appropriate as to the lost potential of that amazing handheld than Tearaway :(

Vita is really a victim of how awful Shu Yoshida handled SCEWW studios. that system could be something better if SCEWW supported it well or at least have a clear vision of what to do with it first party wise.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Vita is really a victim of how awful Shu Yoshida handled SCEWW studios. that system could be something better if SCEWW supported it well or at least have a clear vision of what to do with it first party wise.
I disagree, it's just to be expected in this post-iPhone world. It could have a few more stellar exclusives and no one outside of GAF and such places would care.

Puru

Dunno, when i see games like towerfall being released on ps4 only i'm actually starting to wonder if they will even keep supporting it with indies.

Kinyou

panicroom.jpg
Imagine if they had a videogame console in that room. Movie would be much more chill.

Takao

Banned
I disagree, it's just to be expected in this post-iPhone world. It could have a few more stellar exclusives and no one outside of GAF and such places would care.

Gran Turismo PSP launched in a post-iPhone world, and sold over 4 million copies. A Gran Turismo hasn't even been hinted at for Vita, and that is SCE's biggest IP.

AOC83

Banned

No. The big mistake here was to release the Vit in the first place. Not what happened after that.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Gran Turismo PSP launched in a post-iPhone world, and sold over 4 million copies. A Gran Turismo hasn't even been hinted at for Vita, and that is SCE's biggest IP.
The PSP itself was released before that though so they had built a decent install base by then.

Don't get me wrong, I bloody well hope so though as the big Sony fanboy I am.

Imagine if they had a videogame console in that room. Movie would be much more chill.
Chilling room, Greatness Awaits.

RaijinFY

They should not have bothered with it plain and simple...

I don't think there's any chance it could have done nearly as well as PSP in the current market, but if SCE had invested more in expanding first-party handheld development and creating handheld-specific IP last gen, things might have turned out a bit better. Maybe.

2009 was post-iPhone to a much, much lesser degree than 2013. GT Vita would sell extremely well relative to other Vita software, no doubt, but I think it'd be lucky to sell a third of what GT PSP did.

I'm sure studios have smaller secondary teams that could make Vita games. I think it's been hinted at that Sucker Punch are doing this.

Takao

Banned
I'm sure studios have smaller secondary teams that could make Vita games. I think it's been hinted at that Sucker Punch are doing this.

They could, but they almost certainly won't. Naughty Dog, Polyphony and Guerrilla have at least two teams, and they seem to be about as disinterested in Vita as any western third party.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I personally feel that its good that Bend is also moving to PS4. Not only it gives them proper to space to prove that they too can go toe to toe with the biggies like ND or SSM, the fact is that Vita is kinda dead, and Bend making a game on it will be harmful for them itself.
Just my two cents.

Pistolero

Interesting, because Bend is a relatively small studio. It might be time for them to start recruiting left and right, unless the project they have in mind is of modest ambitions...

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I just bought a Vita too. :(

It's alright for you. You only just got a Vita and therefore have tons of big games to play. It'll take some time before you run out quality retail games to play. I've had one since launch and there's still a bunch big titles I want to play but haven't had the chance to yet. But sadly it's only a matter of time before I run out of those too, and it's looking like there isn't many new ones on the horizon next year. For you at least that'll take a long time. But hey, at least we've got a killer upcoming indie lineup and remote play. That alone still makes it the best handheld out there. Nevertheless it's very sad to see how much potential has been wasted as far as retail games go.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The problem with even trying to replicate their PSP strategy is that the independent midsize studio is kind of a thing of the past. There's very few of them remaining, and the one that Sony has had a proven track record with is working on a PS4 game too.

Well I mean SONY still has a few of them. Nihilistic, Sanzaru, Novarama, Mass Media.,Clap Hanz, etc. They may have ended their relationship with Idol Minds and High Impact, but it seems they still have eligible candidates to fit the bill. I don't think that SCE as a publisher has faith in that type of investment though. Which enulls any of the above possibilities.

I would have thought that SCE could survive the platform on more PS3/PSVita cross-platform stuff. Or more PS2/PS3 classics ported to the system. As you mentioned, a Gran Turismo Vita or Gran Turismo 6-Vita would have been absolutely key here. Even if it failed to do anything, how can SCE not push their biggest selling IP on the platform.

Going as far back as launch, I think SCE was delusional about always pushing Wipeout as the premiere second first-party launch title. GT and Uncharted together would have been a great killer start. But looking at the PS4 launch, I don't think they excel at coordinating launch software.

KissVibes

Banned
Sony should've just had an android platform for their games that was exclusive for their phones. The Vita is nice hardware but isn't really wanted at all.

khaaan

Make us panic? How will Sony know that? Maybe they're working on their own vitality sensor...or...vitality sensor.

Bend is very small, there is no way they are working on another game while making a PS4 game.
Eh, there are teams with only a handful employees making PS4 games. It's very much in Bend's capability to work on several smaller games, like Double Fine does.

and that statement is old as dirt
The one about Syphon Filter not selling? So what? Has there been any huge explosion in Syphon Filter sales since then I'm not aware of? As I said in another post, I think we might see it return as a smaller downloadable title. But I don't see it coming back as a retail AAA game, and if it did it would likely be a complete re-imaging from a different studio.

I doubt that he's counting this, but PD also has a second studio in Fukuoka. And they have another studio in Tokyo that handles the only aspects of GT.

Do we know if the Fukuoka studio is a separate team altogether or something? Given the nature of development for games like GT, it's not unfeasible for teams to be physically apart especially if they're doing stuff like laser-scanning tracks/cars & modelling.

Foster City usually helps other studios with sound design and stuff. I don't think they're working on their own game.

Helldivers is given assistance by Foster City. It's not their own game, but it's still something that they're working on.

Takao

Banned
Well I mean SONY still has a few of them. Nihilistic, Sanzaru, Novarama, Mass Media.,Clap Hanz, etc. They may have ended their relationship with Idol Minds and High Impact, but it seems they still have eligible candidates to fit the bill. I don't think that SCE as a publisher has faith in that type of investment though. Which enulls any of the above possibilities.

I would have thought that SCE could survive the platform on more PS3/PSVita cross-platform stuff. Or more PS2/PS3 classics ported to the system. As you mentioned, a Gran Turismo Vita or Gran Turismo 6-Vita would have been absolutely key here. Even if it failed to do anything, how can SCE not push their biggest selling IP on the platform.

Going as far back as launch, I think SCE was delusional about always pushing Wipeout as the premiere second first-party launch title. GT and Uncharted together would have been a great killer start. But looking at the PS4 launch, I don't think they excel at coordinating launch software.

Nihilistic shut down once Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified shipped. Clap Hanz is likely working on a new Hot Shots for PS4.

The problem with trying to continue to do PS3/Vita "big" games is that it's difficult to port a full scale PS3 game to Vita when you only have 4GB of space.

Elios83

Good news the other day about Bend working on PS4, officially confirmed.
Also Guerrilla RPG :O
The Last Guardian obviously is a PS4 game at this point, I hope it's released next year...

Top Bottom