• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshinori Ono: The Street Fighter Dev team has been making preparations with US and EU offices on exciting new things for Street Fighter 5

Kacho

There's been a disappointing amount of silence on the part of Capcom in regards to Street Fighter 5's future content. Not too long ago, Yoshinori Ono made a very interesting request to the community that asked everyone to "wait a little longer."

"Next time we meet, let's watch Blanka's Pockets with [a] smile," said Ono. Earlier today, Ono made a new comment that will certainly raise the eyebrows of many Street Fighter 5 fans.

"Street Fighter Dev team has been making preparation with US and EU offices on excit[ing] new things for [Street Fighter 5]," said Ono in a Tweet sent out earlier today. "What big event in August can I tell you about it? Until then, look forward to Combo Breaker @ComboBreakerFGC #CB2019 #CPT2019 in this weekend! ;D"

Based on this statement, it sounds as though we may have to wait until August to finally learn about what Capcom has been working on all this time. Does this mean there won't be any Street Fighter 5 reveals at Combo Breaker or E3 2019? That's starting to seem likely, unfortunately.

So what's going on in August? Most notably, EVO 2019 will take place during that month.

Outside of that, there are five online ranking events that probably have nothing to do with the announcement. There is also a premier Capcom Pro Tour event in Ireland called Celtic Throwdown 2019.

As a result, the most likely scenario now is that we'll receive information during EVO 2019. It looks like we'll still require a bit more patience to see what Capcom's UK community manager was so excited for the community to see.

Also worth noting that he specifically mentions content from World Warriors. E.Honda return finally?

kunonabi

I'll believe it when I see it. That said Honda and Sodom really need to make it in before SFV finally dies off.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I want a Super Turbo Edition released physically before the gen closes out. I'll buy it. I still boot up SF5 from time to time (bought the vanilla version around time of release) since I've always liked the game, but I want more fighters so that I can finally retire SF4.

Kacho

I want a Super Turbo Edition released physically before the gen closes out. I'll buy it. I still boot up SF5 from time to time (bought the vanilla version around time of release) since I've always liked the game, but I want more fighters so that I can finally retire SF4.

I hear ya. Still play lots of USF4 because of content rich it is. That said, I find SF5AE much more fun to play. Just wish it had more CAs.

Street fighter VR edition!

Like Way of the Hado?

tenor.gif

Mista

Banned
Yeah, this. I dropped the game very early. Not a SF fan, not a fighting games fan in general but I sure am a KoF maniac. The only fighting game I love but when it comes to SF, I always get it so I laugh when my mates visits and plays against each other.

Nymphae

Banned
Putting my money on Rose at least, maybe a few more if we're lucky. There's going to be at least another 2 years of this game I would imagine, if consoles are out late next year, I wouldn't expect SF6 to be launch window, so I could see them doing something else with this game before putting it out to pasture. Whether that's a few extra characters, or perhaps the rumoured 2nd Vskills, or maybe an Ultra version of sorts, who knows.

Putting my money on Rose at least, maybe a few more if we're lucky. There's going to be at least another 2 years of this game I would imagine, if consoles are out late next year, I wouldn't expect SF6 to be launch window, so I could see them doing something else with this game before putting it out to pasture. Whether that's a few extra characters, or perhaps the rumoured 2nd Vskills, or maybe an Ultra version of sorts, who knows.

I'm waiting for the ultra version of SFV to come out. Until then, USFIV is my go-to street fighter game (I main Ryu and Sakura).

Nymphae

Banned
I'm waiting for the ultra version of SFV to come out. Until then, USFIV is my go-to street fighter game (I main Ryu and Sakura).

I think I'd play 4 more I think if the online was still populated, I got it free with the 30th Anniversary collection, but on PS4 it's pretty much impossible to get a match.

I think I'd play 4 more I think if the online was still populated, I got it free with the 30th Anniversary collection, but on PS4 it's pretty much impossible to get a match.
I'm playing it on the PS3, tbh. That's really cool they gave you a copy of USFIV on the PS4 though! I heard it's not populated since SFV is the main SF on that platform. I truly believe, however, that SFVAE is a fantastic revision and I cant wait to see what they do for the Ultra version. That's when I will jump from IV to V.

Nymphae

Banned
If you ever do get the chance to do so, then would you like to play with/against me online? :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Yeah sure, I'll try to find a physical copy this weekend, if I can't I'll probably just order it on Amazon. So maybe next week sometime. When I played it back in 2009 I was the scrubbiest of scrub Kens lol. I entered a small local tournament not that long ago, I used Ryu because I was using him in V at the time, and I got absolutely wrecked. It was good fun though! I think there will be another one soon though so it'll be good to get some practice.

Elcid

Banned
Finally. I honestly just want some damn news already. Capcom sucks so much at PR but I'm hopeful looking at their recent output.

Petrae

The FGC eagerly awaits the news, while most other video game players are asking, “Street Fighter V is still a thing? Why?”

Selling out the future of what was once a strong fighting game franchise to focus on the niche eSports and FGC communities was a bold move on Capcom’s part.

Nymphae

Banned
I still see so much trash talk about how shitty the mechanics are in this game, but I don't care what people say, I think it's a good thing that the windows for inputs were opened up a bit in SFV. I'm playing a little USF4 tonight and some of these challenges just feel fucking broken. I have been doing Hugo's trial 13 now for about half an hour and not connecting it, it is a goddamn crouching light punch into a standing light punch. Like ok I'm not a 20 year hardcore vet, but I'm not really the worst at execution either, I mean come on I should be able to do this in half an hour. I understand the concept behind finding the correct timing -if it was blocked I hit the second LP too late, if the st. LP doesn't even come out, I hit it too early. You can only sit there and do this for so long before you start to wonder if the game is broken. This must be a one frame link, I can hit the 2 frame ones with not much difficulty.

I still see so much trash talk about how shitty the mechanics are in this game, but I don't care what people say, I think it's a good thing that the windows for inputs were opened up a bit in SFV. I'm playing a little USF4 tonight and some of these challenges just feel fucking broken. I have been doing Hugo's trial 13 now for about half an hour and not connecting it, it is a goddamn crouching light punch into a standing light punch. Like ok I'm not a 20 year hardcore vet, but I'm not really the worst at execution either, I mean come on I should be able to do this in half an hour. I understand the concept behind finding the correct timing -if it was blocked I hit the second LP too late, if the st. LP doesn't even come out, I hit it too early. You can only sit there and do this for so long before you start to wonder if the game is broken. This must be a one frame link, I can hit the 2 frame ones with not much difficulty.
Yeah, SFIV was hardcore to the point where the skill gap was noticeably wide due to one-frame links existing.

SALMORE

i have a feeling that they are doing a PS5 port of the game , something like the rumored Super Street Fighter V

Kenji Ramon

The FGC eagerly awaits the news, while most other video game players are asking, “Street Fighter V is still a thing? Why?”

Selling out the future of what was once a strong fighting game franchise to focus on the niche eSports and FGC communities was a bold move on Capcom’s part.

Most other video game players saying that wouldn’t be interested in the genre, that’s why. On average it’s still the most popular fighter in the FGC and it still has a very healthy online player base. Like it or not, eSports is huge and with the backing of Capcom and sponsorships there are many players who wouldn’t be travelling and making thier dreams come true. The problem wasn’t “eSports” it was the lack of initial single player content and being released on two platforms only.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I hope for Street Fighter VI, the story mode is like a Final Fight style game.

Ever since Tekken Force in 3, I've wondered why more fighting games don't do this kind of thing. People have always been content starved in this genre, and really appreciate any extra modes even if they're jank like Tekken Force was. I can't be that hard to throw together a little side scroller or Tekken Ball style mini game to mess around with.

Hudo

Ever since Tekken Force in 3, I've wondered why more fighting games don't do this kind of thing. People have always been content starved in this genre, and really appreciate any extra modes even if they're jank like Tekken Force was. I can't be that hard to throw together a little side scroller or Tekken Ball style mini game to mess around with.
Yep. And it would allow for the story mode to stand on its own a bit. Doesn't need to be like a fully fledged Final Fight but just something that is a bit more than a sequence of one-on-one fights. Would be fun as hell to rip through some thugs with Ryu or Chun-Li.

Companies don't want to spend the money on a niche mode that requires actual design work and they don't want to make it the main mode as they haven't proven that popular and companies are still chasing NRS' SP story design(Close to all of which have failed at it). Tekken 6 actually made the attempt at what you're asking and ate shit for making Scenario Campaign the main SP mode and Namco dropped Force outright for 7.

It's too bad as I love the arcade beat-em up genre but it's also arguably a dead genre too...Plus one could argue the main SP mode in a fighter should be based around the game's central gameplay design and not a different genre.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Maybe another chance for him.... i was ready to boot him. From the choices starting with SF4

Last edited:

Valonquar

Not sure there's anything exciting that could happen to SF series at this point. Damn Capcom get yer shit together.

Top Bottom