• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yosuke Saito working on new project with Yoko Taro and Keiichi Okabe - "It might be NieR, it might not be NieR."

Yoko-Taro-Keiichi-Okabe_05-15-24-768x432.jpg

Square Enix executive officer and NieR series producer Yosuke Saito is working on a new project with NieR series director Yoko Taro and series composer Keiichi Okabe (MONACA), the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.

In a discussion with former Capcom producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi, who is now leading GPTRACK50 under NetEase Games, Saito said, “I’ve been talking about wanting to do something with Yoko and Okabe for some time now. I’ll have something a bit more put-together to say in the not-too-distant future, so please stay tuned. It might be NieR, it might not be NieR. (Laughs.) That’s about all I can say for now.”

Saito also said that he has another project in the works.

“I’m doing various things with the idea of creating something that does not yet exist,” Saito said. “I can’t devote my time to that fully, so most of it has been left to the staff, but it’s turning into something quite interesting. I’m looking forward to the day we can announce it.”

Source - Gematsu

Doczu

Am i ready for another round of tragedy, existential angst and heart breaking side stories?
No, i'm not but give it to me, NOW!

Yoko-Taro-Keiichi-Okabe_05-15-24-768x432.jpg

Square Enix executive officer and NieR series producer Yosuke Saito is working on a new project with NieR series director Yoko Taro and series composer Keiichi Okabe (MONACA), the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.

In a discussion with former Capcom producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi, who is now leading GPTRACK50 under NetEase Games, Saito said, “I’ve been talking about wanting to do something with Yoko and Okabe for some time now. I’ll have something a bit more put-together to say in the not-too-distant future, so please stay tuned. It might be NieR, it might not be NieR. (Laughs.) That’s about all I can say for now.”

Saito also said that he has another project in the works.

“I’m doing various things with the idea of creating something that does not yet exist,” Saito said. “I can’t devote my time to that fully, so most of it has been left to the staff, but it’s turning into something quite interesting. I’m looking forward to the day we can announce it.”

Source - Gematsu
Thought they already announced this years back.

As it should since that story is not over yet….as much I loved Nier i don't know where would take the story after Automata.

Would it be after Automata? Have you played through Route E in Replicant v1.22? There is plenty they can do still.

But yeah, I do think it might be Drakengard 4.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Would it be after Automata? Have you played through Route E in Replicant v1.22? There is plenty they can do still.

But yeah, I do think it might be Drakengard 4.
I did but in my opinion there is much more interesting story in Drakengard timeline after what happened in Drakengard 3.

Last edited:
I did but in my opinion there is much more interesting story in Drakengard timeline after what happened in Drakengard 3.

Agreed! My point though was there is still plenty to do in the NieR universe as-is. But yes, a Drakengard 4 and whatever fuckery that would unleash on the NieR universe would be lower hanging fruit for sure.

If it’s Drakengard 4, I REALLY hope they re-release Drakengard 3 and give same treatment as NieR Replicant 1.22 or Crisis Core Reunion.
Quote replying you again since I saw this neat Drakengard 3 Remake concept on Twitter. The dev is quite talented and currently working on a Nier & FF Versus XIII inspired action game.

Last edited:
Nier and Automata only barely connects anyway. At this point Yoko Taro makes his universes hook up purely for cross-over references.

It sounds like he has a new game idea in mind. And if it ended up being suitable, he can retcon it into the Neir/Drakengarde universe later if he feels like it.

Doom85

Nier and Automata only barely connects anyway.

Wait What GIF by Willie Jones

-the resolution of the first Nier explains why humanity is extinct by the time of Automata
-Emil is in the game, and is even a boss fight
-appreciating the story of the versions of Devola and Popola in Automata is enhanced knowing the first Nier
-a bunch of notes in Automata refer to the cast of the first Nier, Project Gestalt, etc.
-locations from Nier 1 show up in Automata
-clothing, weapons, etc. in Automata reference clothing, weapons, etc. from the first Nier

Last edited:
Wait What GIF by Willie Jones

-the resolution of the first Nier explains why humanity is extinct by the time of Automata
-Emil is in the game, and is even a boss fight
-appreciating the story of the versions of Devola and Popola in Automata is enhanced knowing the first Nier
-a bunch of notes in Automata refer to the cast of the first Nier, Project Gestalt, etc.
-locations from Nier 1 show up in Automata
-clothing, weapons, etc. in Automata reference clothing, weapons, etc. from the first Nier
I know the crossovers are there. But the point is that Automata is its own game and its own characters, and the link to Nier is not plot related. Yes, technically Nier's ending lead to Automata, but that hardly mattered to the likes of 2B even if you tell her.

Doom85

I know the crossovers are there. But the point is that Automata is its own game and its own characters, and the link to Nier is not plot related. Yes, technically Nier's ending lead to Automata, but that hardly mattered to the likes of 2B even if you tell her.

You’re assuming Yoko Taro, when making a sequel, would want it to be a follow up with the same characters. If you know anything about the man, that’s one hell of an assumption to make.

Also, it’s a disservice to Automata to dismiss these points as crossovers.

They are used frequently to reinforce themes from the first game, and Automata’s version of Devola and Popola follow a natural continuation from Nier 1 in how the few remains of humanity, before they perished, would detest the Devola and Popola models for failing in their mission, even if only one set was responsible.

And yes, the link is plot related. Humanity being extinct is a huge reveal of the game and Nier 1 justifies why they are extinct. That’s hardly a minor element of the story.

You’re assuming Yoko Taro, when making a sequel, would want it to be a follow up with the same characters. If you know anything about the man, that’s one hell of an assumption to make.

Also, it’s a disservice to Automata to dismiss these points as crossovers.

They are used frequently to reinforce themes from the first game, and Automata’s version of Devola and Popola follow a natural continuation from Nier 1 in how the few remains of humanity, before they perished, would detest the Devola and Popola models for failing in their mission, even if only one set was responsible.

And yes, the link is plot related. Humanity being extinct is a huge reveal of the game and Nier 1 justifies why they are extinct. That’s hardly a minor element of the story.

What I like about Automata is the fact they went down that path

I don't see lot of games going this path nowadays and would rather go the safe route

Top Bottom