• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You were right about CGi from early 2000's, in real time! + PS6

HighPoly

Banned
eQsT2B9.jpg

So based on that, I think PS6 will probably reach the same RX 7900XT Performance, that will be a mid-end GPU at the time!
So, you were right guys, we surpassed all PSONE CGi era, and even some elements from PS2 CGi, specially talking about textures and Art Concept.

Buuuut, our consoles are not able to run early 2000's CGi in all aspects... I mean, Geometric things are extremely hard, because of the poligonal density.
But I'm glad to the optmizations, that bring us ray tracing so early... I mean, before all those another complex elements from CGi...

Well, PS6 with it's 52 Teraflops that means 36 Teraflops in comparison to the Nvidia's performance, are more than capable of making early 2000's CGi in real time.
Take a look at how beautiful Monsters INC and Toy Story 1 and 2, remains today.

I think Final Fantasy Spirit Within will be possible, with something Square Enix didn't do at that time, that is putting some ray tracing effects in the movie.

But the most ambicious thing is how much power we need to make Advent Children a playable thing??

Take a look

Last edited:

Comandr

I think you are vastly overestimating how good these old properties hold up. Toy Story 1 looks awful by today’s standards in a lot of ways.
Profile_-_Sid_Phillips.jpg

Flat textures. No subsurface scattering. No bounce lighting. Comparatively low poly count. Low density/simple scenes.

I would argue we surpassed this in the PS360 era. PS1 CG is similarly monstrous. Even a lot of ps2 CG. Once the big boys like Santa Monica studio and naughtydog debut their first current gen games, that will go a long way to change the perception I believe.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
I think you are vastly overestimating how good these old properties hold up. Toy Story 1 looks awful by today’s standards in a lot of ways.

Flat textures. No subsurface scattering. No bounce lighting. Comparatively low poly count. Low density/simple scenes.

I would argue we surpassed this in the PS360 era. PS1 CG is similarly monstrous. Even a lot of ps2 CG. Once the big boys like Santa Monica studio and naughtydog debut their first current gen games, that will go a long way to change the perception I believe.
sure, the use of techniques are getting better and better, so today we can do amazing things with less resources!

The most import thing we need to understand is the Art Concept of all those things we see in games today...
Example, the Resident Evil's 2 and 3 PSONE CGi were considered realistic at that time, but even though the remakes are making so incredible realistic things, doesn't even mean they are technique better than that old pre rendered scenes...

I mean, try to compare the complexity of those pre rendered scenarios and the recently real time scenarios from RE2 Remake and RE3 Remake.
I think we've got advantages and disadvantages. Animation and cloth physics stills pretty even in Toy Story 1995, but sure, the textures we can render in real time today are by far better!!! And PLUS! We are making Ray Tracing, that is something Toy Story 1, 2 and 3 didn't! As you can find in articles on you Google today.

So I think we're running some perfect amazing elements from PS2 and early 2000's CGi in real time, and some another things not yet...

The best metric to do this math will be the next gen hardware, with systems totally dedicated to ray tracing, and at least 40 Teraflops machines...
I mean, a Ratchet Clank perfectly geomatric made, comparing with Monsters Inc or NEMO, you know? at the point that developers or gamers must say: Wow! we could render all those Pixar movies from 2000's in a single machine today! in single GPU! I mean, in a single console! That's a dream comming true...

Imagine, you going to the future, taking a PS6 and going back to 1995! You could say to the PIXAR programmers: Hello guys, throw all this render farm computers stuffs away!!! I've got a single machine that make all these bullshit in real time, and even more!!

I think this is what I'm talking about, and what people that loves CGi are talking too

hyperbertha

We most definitely didn't surpass toy story graphics in PS3. The lighting accuracy and geometric detail is nowhere close.

hussar16

I had a feeling we were in early 2000 cgi level of graphics. The ones saying we have today's cgi are insane .early monsters Inc is all cards and consoles can do

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member

I was just thinking the other day, when are we going to get visual remakes of old cg movie classics like Toy Story?

Sethbacca

I was just thinking the other day, when are we going to get visual remakes of old cg movie classics like Toy Story?
I seem to recall reading an article a long fucking time ago that implied they just didn't keep the assets to a lot of these old 3d movies so just re-rendering the movies with modern tech isn't really an option short of remaking the whole thing.

Drew1440

I seem to recall reading an article a long fucking time ago that implied they just didn't keep the assets to a lot of these old 3d movies so just re-rendering the movies with modern tech isn't really an option short of remaking the whole thing.
Most likely done with proprietary tools that are too difficult to work on modern hardware. I remember a lot of early 3D stuff was done using quads rather than polygons.

Top Bottom