• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top 5 Western Cartoons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aparisi2274

THese are in order of my favorites:

1. Transformers: G1 (original, not this new shit)
2. Family Guy
3. M.A.S.K
4. Simpsons
5. Pinky & The Brain

Mumbles

Let's see...

Fleicher Studios Popeye.
Gargoyles
Looney Tunes/Merry melodies, esp. the Daffy/Porky ones.
Rocky & Bullwinkle (even if it was beyond me when I first saw it)
Older Simpsons

And honorable mentions to the Critic, Futurama, Family Guy, The Tick, Eek the Cat, Duck Tales, Animaniacs, Rocko's Modern Life, most of Tex Avery's stuff, and Beast Wars transformers. Oh, and Sheep in the Big City, even if it was a modern-day rip of Rocky and Bullwinkle.

An dwhile it's not exactly a favorite, I do watch more Teen Titans than I should.

lordmrw

Transformers (Original) - this was one of those shows that after school you hauled ass to get home in time to watch it. God i wish they showed repeats of it on TV.

Gargoyles - There aren't too many shows that have continuing storylines from one episode to the next, but this one did, and did it well.

X-Men (90s) - I fucking loved this because for the most part they stayed true to the comics. Down to specific panels in the comics being used as the basis for some of the frames of animation. I couldn't get enough of it. I do admit that the last season's worth of episodes really went down the shitter.

Conan the Adventurer - Same thing as Gargoyles; except in this case i only saw all of the episodes once. It isn't fresh in my mind, and what are the chances of some network ever showing this again or it bein released on DVD? I'm gonna have to take it up the ass and buy crappy Vhs tapes off Ebay.

Batman the Animated Series - so many classic episodes! To this day, Almost got him is one of my favorite episodes of a cartoon ever.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Gargoyles was awesome. My friend got me into it about 3 or 4 years into the series (I'd guess) and although there was a lot of history talked about, the episodes did a good job of getting a new viewer into the show. It only took 4 episodes for me to get hooked, it was a great show. An underappreciated show.

Shinobi

skinnyrattler said:
That's coming out soon. I think early July. Can't wait.

Damn right...

B00023E894.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

July 6th...I'm gonna clear one of the weekends in July and try and watch 'em all. BTW, Justice League: Starcrossed is out the following week (don't think I even listed that show...it ranks high for these episodes alone).

luxsol

lordmrw said:
Conan the Adventurer - Same thing as Gargoyles; except in this case i only saw all of the episodes once. It isn't fresh in my mind, and what are the chances of some network ever showing this again or it bein released on DVD? I'm gonna have to take it up the ass and buy crappy Vhs tapes off Ebay.
Man, i forgot all about this show! GREAT cartoon, too bad the second series was CRAP.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
#1: Robotech (a tough battle with TMNT and Transformers, but no cartoon dealt with some of the more adult themes like Robotech did, God, that cartoon was amazing - closest thing)
EDIT: I am aware that technically Robotech doesn't count as a "Western cartoon" as it was mostly 3 different Japanese series combined to make one continuity. Although, I'm giving it that prestige based on the work that had to be done to make it all connect (additional cels, fleshing out a complicated storyline, VA and production being done in a SHORT amount of time, etc...it was almost a new show)
#1a: Transformers
#1b. TMNT
#4: X-Men (90s)
#5: JL (After seeing Starcrossed....it worked its way past Spiderman and some of the shows of nostalgia - Like G.I.Joe and M.A.S.K.)

Others:

M.A.S.K.
Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
G.I.Joe
Ren and Stimpy
Voltron
Simpsons
Futurama
Bionic Six
BraveStar
SilverHawks
The Comic Strip
Spiral Zone
StarCOM
Captain-N: The Game Master
PPG
Spiderman (1st series, FOX)
2 Stupid Dogs (I've never seen a show capture "stupidity" better than this did)

I would like to see cartoons to go back to having rock vocals for theme songs. Man, the themes to M.A.S.K., TMNT, Jayce, and many others were so great. Cartoons ought to go back to what they were in 80s - being created for the sole purpose of making a toy line out of them. ;)

luxsol

Future Trunks said:
Cartoons ought to go back to what they were in 80s - being created for the sole purpose of making a toy line out of them. ;)
Without all the cheesiness and billions of shots being fired with no one getting hurt (GI Joe, Transformers, etc), right?

This reminds me, Exo-Squad had an awesome toyline as well. They looked exactly like their cartoon counterparts with great articulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom