• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

Agreed, Duren is the only good Dogi replacement. I like Sahad and everything but...hes no Dogi.

Duren made a lot of sense as a party member anyway, thanks to his role in Dawn of Ys. Really, Memories of Celceta could have had the party consisting solely of him, Karna, and Adol and I would have been perfectly fine with it.

As for Sahad, he's all right. I feel like Falcom is intentionally avoiding using Dogi as a party member again for whatever reason. If I had to swap anybody out of the group, though, I'd trade
Ricotta for Silvia.

jb1234

I skip all the events in the game. So bad. Finally getting going though with Dogi on the beach managing my supplies

I would give anything for the characters to just stop talking. Like, Adol literally gags all of them. I don't think even a brilliant localization would save just how stale the storytelling and characterizations are. Gameplay is fun, though.

I'm missing the last fish (Under Bulldart) where can I find it ?

I found Ancient Abyss in Pangean Plains, Estuary (Night). Save before you go after it because there's a good chance your first attempt will make it impossible to land. (Prompts appear for less than a second and you end up breaking the line.) If the fish silhouette remains after this cast again and it should play out like normal.

Jolkien

I found Ancient Abyss in Pangean Plains, Estuary (Night). Save before you go after it because there's a good chance your first attempt will make it impossible to land. (Prompts appear for less than a second and you end up breaking the line.) If the fish silhouette remains after this cast again and it should play out like normal.

That fish also appears on the lonely island.

Of course the first big fish i find in the water is a Gran Anglo -_-. Any trick to make them reappear ? I'm trying to reload and fish it again but it seems to always be a Big anglo so I guess it's randomized when they spawn and not when fished.

Edit: Got it. Thanks to the both of you :)

Valley of Kings suppression xD Finally somewhere to make use of Sahad's taunt skill.

Of course the first big fish i find in the water is a Gran Anglo -_-. Any trick to make them reappear ? I'm trying to reload and fish it again but it seems to always be a Big anglo so I guess it's randomized when they spawn and not when fished.

Edit: Got it. Thanks to the both of you :)

For future reference: For some reason, Dana = pro angler master. Stick a +fishing gear item on her for good measure and watch her reel 'em in with ease.

Ys 8 reminds me of Yakuza 0. Both games add so much on top of what you usually expect with each respective series, yet they manage to retain what makes them Ys and Yakuza, and on top of which the new features themselves feel like they naturally belong in the games.

Mr.Jeff

This is probably a silly question regarding Dana's quests now that I've finished it.
Was there a way to see which Eternian quests were available/remaining? I had 'x Quest complete' pop up when killing some large monsters as Dana, or interacting with events that cause something to affect the world later on, but was there ever anything to keep track of what was available outside of just looking for blue subquest icons on the map? I must have missed something obvious if there was. Vita version in case it matters.
Not as far as I know? It's hard to say about the prompts cause most of the time I finished the area with having done all the quests. The only one that would have been tricky was the one with the song lyrics for the minstrel.

If you're playing the Vita version, that last memory stone I mentioned won't apply.

Jolkien

Got the trophies for all the sidequests now the only one that worries me is the people memo, hopefully I did not miss any that are permanently missable. I still have to get:

Dana - Number 4
Paro - Number 3
Shoebill - Number 2

Saphirax

Got the trophies for all the sidequests now the only one that worries me is the people memo, hopefully I did not miss any that are permanently missable. I still have to get:

Dana - Number 4
Paro - Number 3
Shoebill - Number 2

You get all three of them near the end of the game. Just make sure to talk to Shoebill.

redcrayon

Not as far as I know? It's hard to say about the prompts cause most of the time I finished the area with having done all the quests. The only one that would have been tricky was the one with the song lyrics for the minstrel.

If you're playing the Vita version, that last memory stone I mentioned won't apply.
Lovely, thanks. I found that music quest quite irritating in the end, with it being resolved by talking to the last person by the main objective- I had checked everywhere else and not having the blue arrow pop up until on that section meant that I spent ages looking for it before being on the verge of giving up and moving on!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm not surprised it's suffering! You're 10 levels below it!

Yeah I just tapped out after dying for 2 hours, Im not having too much issues with it but the biggest issue is the mother fucker has like a billion hp in comparison to anything else I fought so far. So it's this hyper long boss fight of make 2 mistakes and die xD or 1.

I might just not stream for a bit tomorrow and get some levels, im sure being able to actually dent its stun bar due to being closer to its level would help too haha

This is probably a silly question regarding Dana's quests now that I've finished it.
Was there a way to see which Eternian quests were available/remaining? I had 'x Quest complete' pop up when killing some large monsters as Dana, or interacting with events that cause something to affect the world later on, but was there ever anything to keep track of what was available outside of just looking for blue subquest icons on the map? I must have missed something obvious if there was. Vita version in case it matters.

If I understand your question, you can see what is/isn't completed with her by hovering the cursor over the transition stones. Incomplete items will have a '???' next to it which is super helpful.

Mr.Jeff

Yeah I just tapped out after dying for 2 hours, Im not having too much issues with it but the biggest issue is the mother fucker has like a billion hp in comparison to anything else I fought so far. So it's this hyper long boss fight of make 2 mistakes and die xD or 1.

I might just not stream for a bit tomorrow and get some levels, im sure being able to actually dent its stun bar due to being closer to its level would help too haha
Well if it helps, here's my video. Even the, it still took 6 minutes for me...

I'd probably recommend the levels option but that does mean having to fight the other last boss again.

If you're after some power upgrades, there's a couple methods to grind for Aura Grass for them. Although since you're on nightmare, probably only one of them will be suitable...

Jolkien

Just finished. Now I just need to mop up some trophies. Nightmare difficulty (with items) was quite easy.

Now I can even take down the difficulty down if I get tired of it since I got the nightmare trophy. That was such a fun game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Well if it helps, here's my video. Even the, it still took 6 minutes for me...

I'd probably recommend the levels option but that does mean having to fight the other last boss again.

If you're after some power upgrades, there's a couple methods to grind for Aura Grass for them. Although since you're on nightmare, probably only one of them will be suitable...

I got adol to like 79 using 4 tempest also. So basically Im all set to do it later... Ill prob die on the first part for a bit again since its fairly annoying

What do I do after examining the bonfire in
Pangaean Plains
? Can't seem to find the survivor it belongs to. I just started chapter 5.

Kyolux

That fish also appears on the lonely island.

I also saw it (I think it was Ancient Abyss) in the ocean part of Lofos right at the beginning behind you.

Couldn't get my line to reach it there though. Didn't realize that there was a difference between characters for fishing at that point. Always been fishing with Adol.

Also, was there a use for the Money bag that Dina gives you at some point?

A friend's will was great. If there were more moments like this in the story it would have been more memorable.

Anyways, I should finish the game today. Just catched the last fish with sahad+ 2 fishing skill accesory.

Loving the jazzy tune that plays during Sanctuary Ruins xD It's kind of fitting and not at the same time.

Dana - Number 4
Paro - Number 3
Shoebill - Number 2

Thank you for mentioning the memos. I had no idea what these were but thankfully I'd gotten about 85% of 'em without much worry. (
Dana, Shoebill and Kashu
were my holdouts.)

theofficefan99

How're the sales of the game? I hope they're good.

I would buy it even though I have no time to play games during the semester, but I'm gonna be tight on money for another 3-5 weeks :/

And yeah I've decided that before I play this game, I'm going to play Origins, then replay VI and VII. I don't feel like playing I and II because it's $30 and my backlog is already insane and I don't feel like playing super hard games where I can't grind to fix the problem.

Kyolux

I would like for them to remake V. I want to head to Xandria.

I think it stands to reason that this is where they would go next. I hear the original is not so good though? Guess it'd get a huge rewrite like Celcetta got?

But yeah, I'd be up for that next.

For now, I'm waiting for Zwei II on steam and Tokyo Xanadu on PS4.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I'd been in a massive gaming rut as of late. Had barely touched a game in days, didn't know what I wanted to play but knew it wasn't anything I owned. So I started browsing the PS Store looking for ideas and stumbled onto this. I'd played a bit of Celceta back when I first got my Vita and enjoyed it, so I decided to check out the demo.

Yep, this is exactly what I need right now. Absolutely going to be picking this up in a couple days once I get paid. Can't wait to jump in!

Bladenic

I think it stands to reason that this is where they would go next. I hear the original is not so good though? Guess it'd get a huge rewrite like Celcetta got?

Can't wait for Tokyo Xanadu, and definitely will get Zwei II at some point. Still need to play TitS 3rd too. So much Falcom these days, which is nice compared to a decade ago.

Jolkien

I want a remake of the last bosses HP pool
Im slowly going crazy :D I haven't actuallybeen stuck on a boss in this series for this long since Dark Fact back in 1 lol

Just use some potions, you know you want to :p

Thinking back on the game,the
slasher
story arc was completely useless. The game could've skipped that since it was quite long already. I'm probably on the slow side but the platinum took me 91 hours.

preta

Kondo's been teasing a remake of V hard, saying that if Falcom were to remake it, they'd use a lot more of the content that was in the original design documents but didn't make it into the game proper. In fact, VIII subtly retcons the events of V in such a way as to make the documents canon - it makes reference to Dogi being present for the events of V. He was not there in the game itself.

Wagram

This game succeeds so much in its combat and bosses. So fun.

I'm really glad NISA brought it over and i'm thankful for that, but man, I can't help but feel I would like it a lot more if XSEED did the localization. Some of these lines are straight ass.

As preta noted, the new Ys V will very likely follow pre-production documents and ideas which Falcom had to scrap back around 1995 but have since preserved. I hope the remake will follow the mold of Felghana, rather than Celceta's half-rewrite-half-original approach.

I'm making the Zwei: II OT for whenever the game launches, so it'd be silly to back out of that game now (as if I want to). Worst case, I'll hand my work over to someone else if school catches me off-guard. Tokyo Xanadu's definitely happening for me later, but it's not as big a priority. We only have fan translations of Zwei!!, Brandish 2, and both Legend of Xanadu games coming soon (+ patches for Dinosaur Resurrection and VM Japan eventually).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
FREEEEEDOOOOM

Edit: 100% my favorite Ys game out of the entire series. Once it gets going about an hour in it's pretty much on fullblast from start to finish

Bladenic

Just use some potions, you know you want to :p

Thinking back on the game,the
slasher
story arc was completely useless. The game could've skipped that since it was quite long already. I'm probably on the slow side but the platinum took me 91 hours.

I still laugh at how quickly that entire part of the story was forgotten and how completely random it felt. I mean sure, it had one major effect on the story that was continuously talked about, but that's about it.

Kyolux

I still laugh at how quickly that entire part of the story was forgotten and how completely random it felt. I mean sure, it had one major effect on the story that was continuisly talked about, but that's about it.

I'm mostly fine with it as it was seeded from the beginning. But I could have done without it.

Finally getting back to this after Danganronpa took my attention for a week, two questions since I kind of forgot what was going on lol.

Does anything bad happen if I ignore an interception? Also, is
Lofos Hill
the last, or one of the last dungeons in the game?

Jolkien

Finally getting back to this after Danganronpa took my attention for a week, two questions since I kind of forgot what was going on lol.

Does anything bad happen if I ignore an interception? Also, is
Lofos Hill
the last, or one of the last dungeons in the game?

Last but there's an epilogue and at the end you get to keep playing if you need to finish some other stuff. At least it did for the perfect ending. The game does a good job warning you when you get to the last crystal.

DPB

I'm really glad NISA brought it over and i'm thankful for that, but man, I can't help but feel I would like it a lot more if XSEED did the localization. Some of these lines are straight ass.

Yeah, it's fine gramatically but much of the dialogue has a rather strange feel to it. It sounds ridiculous every time they bring up
"Ancient Species"

And finished. At the end I needed an extra day but overall I feel that this game was great, even if I personally had some moments were I enjoyed the game less because of pacing, story or gameplay.

Dana was great and the best thing about the story. I can't say I would have cared for the second half of the game if it were not for her. As people have already said localization definitely could have been better and the story probably is better in its original language. Looking foward to see what fans can do with the pc patch. Even so, I feel the story took a turn for the worse in the last parts of the game, but a great ending saved it a bit in my opinion. Some characters could have been better used, though.

I don't think people that do not care for story in a Ys game would find here reasons to not skip it, but for those who care I think there is good enough.

Gameplaywise, the best point of the game for me was between chapter 2 and 3. Has to be due to the feeling of adventure, less stricted paths and feeling of openess. Dana's dungeon and bosses were the best, I don't think I will ever get the psvita version because of that.

I'm curious for the good ending of the game, as
I didn't get to see since I went directly to true ending. I suppose you get out of the island without knowing what become of Dana.

Also, I feel the OT should be renamed to
Dana Forever!
but that's my opinion.

Top Bottom